Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

It's over. Good luck turning a deficit of 2 clean goals against that Atletico defence..
Nonsense.

Deportivo turned around a 4-1 deficit against a Milan defence consisting of Maldini, Nesta and Cafu.

Anything is possible. 2-0 isn’t impossible. Juve did it last season nearly away from home.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Juve were far too reliant on him.. scary to think how average they'd be without him. They've failed to replace Pogba.
They will have pretty similar result over the years, with or without him and Pogba.

wr8_utd

:'(
That's odd that they could be wrong by such a drastic distance
The 8.2 rating Ronaldo got for this game is absolutely bizarre. He was as anonymous as he usually is in matches over the last few years but minus the goals he usually gets. Oddly, Godin, who put in a superb defensive performance, kept a CS, won the game and scored a huge goal has only a 7.5 rating so I really don't know how these ratings work.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So let's have a little friendly vote here. ( I don't know how to make polls)

Who thinks Juve win 3-0 in the second leg?
Who thinks the tie is over?

Skorenzy

It was a shite performance for a top 10 Goat player.
I'm not much for pointless hyperbole.

He wasn't that dangerous but he did play a lot better than I've seen him in recent CL KO games against this caliber of opponent. He was actually involved with Juve's build-up for one.
Every GOAT tier player has these games, look no further than last night : Messi was dangerous but his play disjointed and not exactly fluid (as against Valladolid on the weekend).

The irony is that both Juve and Barça are *mostly* playing dour football under conservative managers (though Allegri is a major upgrade over Valverde obviously).
If either is to win the CL this season it's going to be a struggle to get there for sure.

Enigma_87

You know who
Because they hate that the greatest player to wear the white jersey of Madrid is not Spanish. His record their will probably never be broken. That club is so fake very 2 faced.
There's not a Spaniard even in the top 3 of the greatest to wear Real shirt. But doubt nationality is an issue, they turn on their own very quickly.

Pocho

The 8.2 rating Ronaldo got for this game is absolutely bizarre. He was as anonymous as he usually is in matches over the last few years but minus the goals he usually gets. Oddly, Godin, who put in a superb defensive performance, kept a CS, won the game and scored a huge goal has only a 7.5 rating so I really don't know how these ratings work.
8,2/10 ?? Really? who did it Cal?

RooneyLegend

Playing super defensive negative football & leaving him isolated, overly relying on brilliance (which he has supplied at times this season to his credit). The service he gets from midfield against quality opposition is not too dissimilar to Lacazette/Aubameyang at Arsenal.

If they're going to play the way they play, they should at least set up to play proper counter-attacking football like Real did under Jose. Throw Douglas Costa on for Mandzukic, & have Costa/Ronaldo/Dybala just charging. Not starting Cancello is another weird decision for me, seeing how he's linked up well with Ronaldo so far this season.
Juve don't have the quality of players to play aggressive front foot football. Playing high risk football with the likes of Matuidy would be asking for trouble. Hard to play on the counter against a team like Athletico that doesn't comit men forward.

SportingCP96

Supports
There's not a Spaniard even in the top 3 of the greatest to wear Real shirt. But doubt nationality is an issue, they turn on their own very quickly.
Ya they do yet everyone wants to play for them.

wr8_utd

Juve were far too reliant on him.. scary to think how average they'd be without him. They've failed to replace Pogba.
They did better in the Copa and CL (so far) without him than with him and Serie A is something they'd dominate with Bebe leading the line so I'm not sure how they're "very average" without him or overly reliant on him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is what A Madrid can do to teams. They really defend so good and then engineer chances either through set-pieces or mistakes by the other team.

It is just fascinating to watch A Madrid.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They did better in the Copa and CL (so far) without him than with him and Serie A is something they'd dominate with Bebe leading the line so I'm not sure how they're "very average" without him or overly reliant on him.
It’s bizarre how so many posters seem convinced about Juve being “average”. They’ve made 2 of the last 4 finals and another couple of semi finals. But yeah....they are average, indeed.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Merry Christmas

wr8_utd

This is what A Madrid can do to teams. They really defend so good and then engineer chances either through set-pieces or mistakes by the other team.

It is just fascinating to watch A Madrid.
It's actually just really boring to watch them but fair play to Simeone. He really went for it today with his subs and it worked out.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I got the 7 completed dribbles from Whoscored, which raised an eyebrow as that's something I'd expect from Neymar or Messi. Dribbling aside, I'm not surprised Juventus lost, they were the team I wanted United to face in the Champions League last season.

wr8_utd

It’s bizarre how so many posters seem convinced about Juve being “average”. They’ve made 2 of the last 4 finals and another couple of semi finals. But yeah....they are average, indeed.
Exactly. They've been a top team in Europe for some years now and if anything, this year they look poorer than usual in the CL. Juve are a top team with or without the likes of Ronaldo or Pogba.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They only made the semis twice in the past 15 years.

They aren’t average though, they’re good. Not good enough that getting knocked out by Atletico is a shock result though

Pocho

I'm not much for pointless hyperbole.

He wasn't that dangerous but he did play a lot better than I've seen him in recent CL KO games against this caliber of opponent. He was actually involved with Juve's build-up for one.
Every GOAT tier player has these games, look no further than last night : Messi was dangerous but his play disjointed and not exactly fluid (as against Valladolid on the weekend).

The irony is that both Juve and Barça are *mostly* playing dour football under conservative managers (though Allegri is a major upgrade over Valverde obviously).
If either is to win the CL this season it's going to be a struggle to get there for sure.
Although Messi's performance wasn´t great I think that he triyed a lot more, connected with Alba, Suarez and managed to assist a couple of times both of them, Ronaldo didn´t contribute in almost any aspect of the game, again, for a player of that caliber.

MrEleson

8,2/10 ?? Really? who did it Cal?

Maybe take your Barcelona bandwagoning spectacles off for a sec. Almost everything he did was the right decision and he was by far the only threat for Juve going forward (even building from midfield). There's nothing he could have done more with that donkey midfield behind him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nonsense.

Deportivo turned around a 4-1 deficit against a Milan defence consisting of Maldini, Nesta and Cafu.

Anything is possible. 2-0 isn’t impossible. Juve did it last season nearly away from home.
That was 20 years ago?

Simeone's record after EL win last year:

He has > .50 clean sheet record in close to 400 games with Atletico. Dortmund is the only team that scored 4 goals past his defensive unit and generally Atletico conceding 3 goals in one game happens once or twice every year...

SportingCP96

Supports
It's actually just really boring to watch them but fair play to Simeone. He really went for it today with his subs and it worked out.
Depends on the person I admire a strong defensive team more then a gung ho team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I agree but it is fascinating to watch the other team trying to beat them.

Pocho

Maybe take your Barcelona bandwagoning spectacles off for a sec. Almost everything he did was the right decision and he was by far the only threat for Juve going forward (even building from midfield). There's nothing he could have done more with that donkey midfield behind him.
Yeah, sad that guy diminishing Juve players.

wr8_utd

They aren’t average though, they’re good. Not good enough that getting knocked out by Atletico is a shock result though
Atleti this year have been very ordinary. They're 6-7 points behind a struggling (by their own standards) Barcelona team, they've lost two games in their 3 games and have just not looked remotely close to their best at any point all season and they got demolished 4-0 by BVB. Juve may not be that convincing this year themselves but this would still be a shock.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

It wasn’t that good, definitely the best Juve player but not MOTM. It was a decent performance.

Don’t pay attention to the idiotic things here, they need to let out the pain that’s been building up over the years.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Nonsense.

The fact that you have to go back to that shows how difficult a task it's surely? I mean obviously it's not impossible. But rather freakishly unlikely. They still go out on a 3-1.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Exactly. They've been a top team in Europe for some years now and if anything, this year they look poorer than usual in the CL. Juve are a top team with or without the likes of Ronaldo or Pogba.
Yeah, they’ve usually been a top 5-6 team in Europe for the last 4-5 years, with Barca, Madrid, Atletico, Bayern & PSG IMO.

No doubt. Atletico is usually one of the big scalps in this competition, under simeone, as well.

Pocho

It wasn’t that good, definitely the best Juve player but not MOTM. It was a decent performance.

Don’t pay attention to the idiots here, they need to let out the pain that’s been building up over the years.
So you don't want a response?

Enigma_87

You know who

It really isn't. Atletico has won 2 EL titles, 2 CL finals and their record against Italian teams recently (Milan, Juve, Roma) prior to this game was 4 wins and 2 draws in 6 games.

It's not a shock result by any means.

mu4c_20le

Yes, average. They had an easy run to the final two years ago and then struggled to make it past Spurs in the next. They have a lot of aging players and their Pogba replacement, Pjanic, was bang average tonight.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid fans may not be happy that there's this whole narrative that Madrid only won because of Ronaldo and that him going to Juve will transform them into CL winners so maybe that's why some of them are happy. I may be wrong.
Well, actually from the club's point of view, it's bad news that Ronaldo leaves Madrid and manages to win the Champions League somewhere else.

Madrid winning only because of Ronaldo never made much sense, but personally I never liked much the perspective of Juventus winning the trophy with him.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yes, average. They had an easy run to the final two years ago and then struggled to make it past Spurs in the next. They have a lot of aging players and their Pogba replacement, Pjanic, was bang average tonight.
Pjanic is their only great midfielder, he had the flu tonight. Hence the substitution.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Well, actually from the club's point of view, it's bad news that Ronaldo leaves Madrid and manages to win the Champions League somewhere else.

Madrid winning only because of Ronaldo never made much sense, but personally I never liked much the perspective of Juventus winning the trophy with him.
Why?

youmeletsfly

I'm not going crazy in trying to kiss Ronnie's ass here, but feck me Juventus have no god damn clue on how to play around him. And that is after half a season.

They're shite going forward and that hurts him. They're currently not really giving him chances at all, not even hopeful crosses into the box.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Man of the match? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.