Cristiano Ronaldo | Transfer Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

b) He is in the right club to score a lot of goals because Real Madrid players will supply him a lot of chances and he won't win Ballon D'or by moving to league that below EPL & La Liga's tier.
That would be c then. But my post was about if he truly wants to leave Madrid, which I doubt - As always it's all about him and how to please either his ego or doing some PR. After this saga Real Madrid will make him feel "wanted" again, and then the whole world has been dragged into another circus - feeding his ego, feeding his name - just what he likes.

He eats attention for breakfast. The fact that he's made a movie about himself, tells you something about how far he is willing to go to big up his name.

AndyJ1985

I'd prefer he signs a new contract ASAP and we finalise the signing of Morata. All this nonsense is unnecessary and will get in the way of Jose being prepared for the preseason.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
My favourite footballer.

If the reports are true and this is not a scheme for him to get a new contract from RM, even at age 32 you simply have to consider bringing him back. Age does not matter with elite and generational talents like CR7. Just look at Ibra this past year; yes we got him on a free but the main point is talent level and you just cannot deny that with him or Ronaldo.

He would single handedly get United out of the mediocrity they've been in ever since SAF left and would make them a club to be reckoned with league wide, and CL. Would make us instant title contenders and having that sort of world class scoring threat at any point would allow United to be in any and every game.

...if I had a say in it, if he can be acquired for under £175M you do it in a heartbeat. The shirt sales and adverts alone would make up a big chunk of the cost so wouldn't be much of a price to pay in that sense. Not to mention, the effect it would have on the likes of Rashford to first have Zlatan, and now Ronaldo as his mentors would be priceless. And the world class athlete Ronaldo is, he easily has 4 years of top production left which would be more than worthwhile.
Shirt sales :lol::lol::lol:

Hans Moleman

United's retail, merchandising, apparel and product licensing revenue was £31.6 million in 2015. That's for *everything*. If you think shirt sales alone would somehow recoup even a tiny fraction of a £175m transfer you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I hope United management have the good sense to get verification from Spain's taxing authority that Ronaldo is not suspected of any criminal charges before spending more than 300m euros in fees and wages on Ronaldo. I don't trust Ronaldo's agent, his lawyers, or Real's management to be absolutely truthful in the matter.
A tax fraud of more than 120k Euros is a criminal charge in Spain, and that's what Ronaldo is charged with.

There's no chance of the Spanish tax authorities discussing the likely outcome of the case with us. Most tax cases, particularly ones where the tax office might lose in court (based on current information that's the situation in this one) get resolved out of court, but there's no way they'll suggest that to a third party before a deal is finalised. The case could take years to be resolved - 4 or 5 if it does go to court and a jail sentence (suspended or otherwise) is involved.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
United's retail, merchandising, apparel and product licensing revenue was £31.6 million in 2015. That's for *everything*. If you think shirt sales alone would somehow recoup even a tiny fraction of a £175m transfer you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
We were still with Nike during half of 2015 and we had no cut of the merchandise sales with them. We get a good cut with Adidas and in 2016 that revenue tripled to £97.3m.

Anyway, it's not really "shirt sales" where we'd be really looking to profit from having Ronaldo, it's getting his face next to our badge on Toothpaste, Toilet Rolls, Fajitas, Frisbees, Sunglasses and Bubblegum in the Americas and Asia.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This thread :houllier:

He's not coming back. Ever.

But let's do some sums

Transfer fee region of 150million plus another 80 million in wages over 5 years if he's on region 300k a week.

So that's outlay of 230 odd mill.

If you guaranteed 3 or 4 European cups and the same in titles you could probably justify.
But nothing is guaranteed.

It'll be covered in shirt sales anyway as we'll sell 5 drillion Ronaldo shirts and ask Addidas to let us keep the money.... as well as the 75 million they give us for ..eh...shirt rights. :wenger::lol:

pghcc

It'll be covered in shirt sales anyway as we'll sell 5 drillion Ronaldo shirts and ask Addidas to let us keep the money.... as well as the 75 million they give us for ..eh...shirt rights. :wenger::lol:
If we get everyone on Earth to wear one that might just about do it. I'd even buy 2.

Revan

Assumptionman

But let's do some sums

Transfer fee region of 150million plus another 80 million in wages over 5 years if he's on region 300k a week.

If you guaranteed 3 or 4 European cups and the same in titles you could probably justify.

Double it, and then add some. Bale is on 350k/week after taxes (so around 650k/week), Ronaldo is on more than that.

Jericholyte2

Regarding possible wages, that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Ibra has gone and Rooney should be leaving so that give about 600-650k additional to the funds.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen, but even at 32 he's worth the money.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Do we not only offer 1 year contracts to players over 30? Seems a lot of money for a 1 season cameo. 3 seasons would be a more realistic length given who the player is, cant see the possibility of offering him 5 seasons at 500k a week. Unless theres a clause inserted that if his form declines rapidly then we can offer less each week in wages and performance related bonuses.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Madrid becomes nice and sell him only for 100m pounds, and we offer Ronaldo a 4 + 1 year contract worth 800k/week, then it means that we would spend 300m on him.

If I was an accountant, I wouldn't want this, but feck it, I am a football fan. Bring Ron at United.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Madrid becomes nice and sell him only for 100m pounds, and we offer Ronaldo a 4 + 1 year contract worth 800k/week, then it means that we would spend 300m on him.

If I was an accountant, I wouldn't want this, but feck it, I am a football fan. Bring Ron at United.
We're not offering anyone 800k a week.

clarkydaz

Do we not only offer 1 year contracts to players over 30? Seems a lot of money for a 1 season cameo. 3 seasons would be a more realistic length given who the player is, cant see the possibility of offering him 5 seasons at 500k a week. Unless theres a clause inserted that if his form declines rapidly then we can offer less each week in wages and performance related bonuses.
That was generally under Fergie/Gill. Moyes changed that, in style

Flying_Heckfish

His signing would make us winners because he has the goal scoring ability to take advantage of the latent creativity in our side. He is the perfect individual goal scorer that makes Mourinho's 'low block and play on the break' highly effective. Though we need several players one can also argue that we have several options that we can take a risk on, players like Tuanzebe, Blind and Herrera can play as holders; Perreira, Mkhi as creative options and then Shaw and Mitchel as LBs. With Cristiano guaranteeing the goals we can take risks on Martial/Rashford growing as number 9s. If it were at all possible I'd be all for it.
Agreed - We missed so many chances last season, signing Ronaldo word fix that immediately. We can afford it. There's no downside here imo.

We all doubt it is happening but if there was a chance, it would be ideal.

supersoccershop

MARCA reporting Zidane trying to convince Ronaldo to stay and Real willing to pay and solve his tax bills.

The chances of ronaldo leaving real is lower than he stay with them mainly because not many clubs in the world willing to pay such huge sum for transfer that real demanding. With real willing to help his tax issue now, i think it's up to ronaldo if he is serious to leave or just need some attentions

Rusholme Ruffian

Football as a fan isn't about logic. It's more feeling and heart. We have (and still sing!) a song about a Uruguayan that really did nothing more than score a brace against Liverpool away. I don't think playing up Ronaldo's time here is any more 'mind blowing'
It's mind blowing that anyone would seek to play it down - he was the best United player of all time, a contender for the best footballer player of all time, and there is a chance (however small) that he might come back to us at a point where he still has a few decent years left in him.

He's the best player I've seen play for us too, comfortably at that. I don't think there's an argument to be had about his quality. My post was simply about the perfect history he has with us bit. I just can't see how that's the case when he left us to give his best years at Real and even the current situation about a possible move is because of issues there rather than a desire to come back.
With due respect - who cares? Do you think if we signed Messi, or any other truly top class player from outside of the UK/Ireland, they would be wanting to come to us because they love us as a club? The best we can generally hope for with foreign players is that they recognise the size, history and glamour of the club, and that - allied to a massive pay packet - is enough to tempt them (let's face it they ain't going to come for the weather). At least Ronnie has a genuine love for the club and shared history with us...that's a huge amount more than most.

Mike09

That would be c then. But my post was about if he truly wants to leave Madrid, which I doubt - As always it's all about him and how to please either his ego or doing some PR. After this saga Real Madrid will make him feel "wanted" again, and then the whole world has been dragged into another circus - feeding his ego, feeding his name - just what he likes.

He eats attention for breakfast. The fact that he's made a movie about himself, tells you something about how far he is willing to go to big up his name.
I was replying the part b when you said he wants to move to a place where he can still win the ballon d'or by scoring a lot of goals. But Ronaldo is currently in the best place to score a lot goals and win another ballon d'or. In other word, I was trying to tell you that your part b doesn't make any sense at all.

Varun

Staff
It's mind blowing that anyone would seek to play it down - he was the best United player of all time, a contender for the best footballer player of all time, and there is a chance (however small) that he might come back to us at a point where he still has a few decent years left in him.

With due respect - who cares? Do you think if we signed Messi, or any other truly top class player from outside of the UK/Ireland, they would be wanting to come to us because they love us as a club? The best we can generally hope for with foreign players is that they recognise the size, history and glamour of the club, and that - allied to a massive pay packet - is enough to tempt them (let's face it they ain't going to come for the weather). At least Ronnie has a genuine love for the club and shared history with us...that's a huge amount more than most.
Where does the caring bit even come from? Think you need to read the conversation from the start.

ROFLUTION

I was replying the part b when you said he wants to move to a place where he can still win the ballon d'or by scoring a lot of goals. But Ronaldo is currently in the best place to score a lot goals and win another ballon d'or. Therefore, your part b doesn't make any sense at all.
Jesus. My whole post was made on the point of IF he truly had decided to leave - then what his options are. You're arguing about something that's not part of my post: That he stays.

Mike09

Jesus. My whole post was made on the point of IF he truly had decided to leave - then what his options are. You're arguing about something that's not part of my post: That he stays.
Huh?? Do you even read mate?

If that quote isn't part of your post then who??

b) He wants to move to a place where he can still win the Ballon D'or by scoring many goals
I was trying to tell you that that part b doesn't make any sense if that's the reason if he decided to leave. Because he's currently in the right place/club to win Ballon d'or and scoring many goals.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

But let's do some sums

:lol:It's utterly ridiculous isn't it mate.

He gets £300k a week after tax at the moment, so you can double that £80 million wage figure too.

Spending over £300 million on a player that will turn 33 later this year is not a risk I can see the club taking.

If we've got that many pennies in the Glazer piggy bank then I'd rather see us spend it on Neymar, that is still a good few years away from his peak.

Rusholme Ruffian

Where does the caring bit even come from? Think you need to read the conversation from the start.
I did read the conversation from the start - maybe you misunderstood my point. What I'm saying is, who cares what Ronaldo's motives might be for leaving Madrid and rejoining United - it matters not one iota - he is not the type of player to come to us for one big final payday, and sit on the bench like Rooney or Bastian. If he was to come back to us you can bet he would have one eye on ending up our top scorer.

As an aside, up until a couple of days ago I thought that I probably would not see anyone beat Rooney's goal scoring record for United in my lifetime (I'm 41)...and yet if Ronaldo was to come back it could happen in the next 4 years. Which would be HILARIOUS.

Moonred

He gets £300k a week after tax at the moment, so you can double that £80 million wage figure too.

Spending over £300 million on a player that will turn 33 later this year is not a risk I can see the club taking.

If we've got that many pennies in the Glazer piggy bank then I'd rather see us spend it on Neymar, that is still a good few years away from his peak.
He can't have two birthdays in a year. Minor issue. Carry on.

Varun

Staff
I did read the conversation from the start - maybe you misunderstood my point. What I'm saying is, who cares what Ronaldo's motives might be for leaving Madrid and rejoining United - it matters not one iota - he is not the type of player to come to us for one big final payday, and sit on the bench like Rooney or Bastian. If he was to come back to us you can bet he would have one eye on ending up our top scorer.

As an aside, up until a couple of days ago I thought that I probably would not see anyone beat Rooney's goal scoring record for United in my lifetime (I'm 41)...and yet if Ronaldo was to come back it could happen in the next 4 years. Which would be HILARIOUS.
No one cares as long as he delivers. We were discussing his history with us though.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Would you rather Ronaldo or Mbappe this window?

Can't help feel RM would use one to fund the other.

Rusholme Ruffian

No one cares as long as he delivers. We were discussing his history with us though.
I was responding to this line in your post (hence me embolding it):

Even if you believe he genuinely was a move now, it's not his love for us that's making it a possibility, it's because he's having issues at Real, the club where he wanted to finish his career.

Varun

Staff
I was responding to this line in your post (hence me embolding it):
Yeah, that was again wrt to the history he has with us. As in, that has nothing to do with a potential move. Not that it matters what the reason is, just that his supposed perfect history with us is simply untrue. The guy I quoted said as much in the end.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Ok then... extra wages means we'll just have to sell another drillion shirts... and a few pairs of shorts. :wenger:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He can't have two birthdays in a year. Minor issue. Carry on.
I got Ronaldo and Rooneys birth months mixed up. Thought Ronaldo's was in November.

My point still stands though. Paying over £300 million in transfer fee and wages for a player of his age would be fecking stupid.

We really shouldn't all be arguing over this as he won't be leaving Madrid.

Once again we are being used by his agent to ensure he gets what he wants from Madrid (them to pay his tax bill).

Moonred

I got Ronaldo and Rooneys birth months mixed up. Thought Ronaldo's was in November.

My point still stands though. Paying over £300 million in transfer fee and wages for a player of his age would be fecking stupid.

We really shouldn't all be arguing over this as he won't be leaving Madrid.

Once again we are being used by his agent to ensure he gets what he wants from Madrid (them to pay his tax bill).
That's fine. Don't have an issue with your point. I would have him still but as along as we get other players(winger, dm etc.) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.