Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Madrid problems weren't just Ronaldo's "subpar" performance. Do you pin point Barcelona's bad results solely on Messi´s performances? Their midfield and specially defence (the way Ramos was beaten in the first goal shows it) aren't exactly in top form. Ancelotti getting outwitted tactically by Simeone once again doesn't help either. With Pepe now out for 2 or 3 weeks, i'd bet their bad results won't stop after this game. Like Ronaldo said last night, he's human (impossible to mantain his level all the time) and struggling with knee pain but he's trying to regain his form.
That's not my point. I just find it funny (and typical of this thread) that people are so quick to praise him for scoring in a match when he was awful. There was a thread for the match but people still bump his own thread to tell everyone he scored...

SirAF

Ageist
That's not my point. I just find it funny (and typical of this thread) that people are so quick to praise him for scoring in a match when he was awful. There was a thread for the match but people still bump his own thread to tell everyone he scored...
I do, you mean. This is a player thread, no? I find it relevant to bump this thread whenever the player in question scores, since that's a quite important part of football. Maybe there are posters here who don't necessary follow every match and thinks that it is not a bad thing to be notified whenever a pretty good player scores?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So what? Are you now the caf police? So what if he bumped after he scored, what is the problem? It happens all the time when Messi scores and assists and rightfully so. You can bump after he scores and you can obviously post that he played "awful" like you did after it. Are you The Shed End now, who was always controlling this all the time? Does bumping the thread after he scored mean that he played well? This kind of posts confuse me, specially when it comes from someone like you, who is usually balanced.

SirAF

Ageist
So what? Are you now the caf police? So what if he bumped after he scored, what is the problem? It happens all the time when Messi scores and assists and rightfully so. You can bump after he scores and you can obviously post that he played "awful" like you did after it. Are you The Shed End now, who was always controlling this all the time?
Maybe I shall start bumping this thread whenever he makes an assist too? That will piss some people right off.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Maybe I shall start bumping this thread whenever he makes an assist too? That will piss some people right off.
Well perhaps you should bump the Messi thead, both threads are intrinsically connected :lol:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I do, you mean. This is a player thread, no? I find it relevant to bump this thread whenever the player in question scores, since that's a quite important part of football. Maybe there are posters here who don't necessary follow every match and thinks that it is not a bad thing to be notified whenever a pretty good player scores?
Do what you like, I just find it weird. Is there actually anyone here who isn't interested in knowing how Real Madrid are doing (so don't therefore follow their match threads) but is interested in knowing that Cristiano Ronaldo scored? That'd be weird, when it's a team sport.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Do what you like, I just find it weird. Is there actually anyone here who isn't interested in knowing how Real Madrid are doing (so don't therefore follow their match threads) but is interested in knowing that Cristiano Ronaldo scored? That'd be weird, when it's a team sport.
Ahem this is the Ronaldo thread, an individual thread. I'm not sure but isn't there a specific Real Madrid thread? Not only Real Madrid fans post here. For example, me, i'm completely indiferent to Real Madrid, do i need to evaluate Madrid, everytime i want to post something individual about Ronaldo? I'm interested in how Ronaldo does (specially in terms of injuries) because im portuguese and it has influence on our national team.

SirAF

Ageist
Nothing weird about it. I am obviously a Man United supporter first and foremost, but I'm not ashamed to say that my favorite player is Ronaldo (surprise!). Hence I am interested in whether or not he scores. I don't really care about Real (other than that I want them to win La Liga since that will boost Ronaldo's chance of personal awards..)

And as Sly points out, this is a player thread!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Boosts his chances of personal awards...jeez. The modern fan right there.

SirAF

Ageist
Well played. Anyway, I find your view strange but we can't all think the same, have no problem with you if it seemed that way.
Oh, no. I didn't think it was personal. Like you said, we all have our own views.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Them winning La Liga will not really determine if he'll win the next Ballon d'Or. He just needs to keep on scoring and get a goalscoring prize (La Liga and CL). As long as he maintains catching the attention by scoring goals he'll be fine.

SirAF

Ageist
Them winning La Liga will not really determine if he'll win the next Ballon d'Or. He just needs to keep on scoring and get a goalscoring prize (La Liga and CL). As long as he maintains catching the attention by scoring goals he'll be fine.
I agree with that, but I do think that winning La Liga too may help a little bit. Winning back to back CL titles would almost seal it - barring a disaster in the fall season following.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
More annoying than some posts here are ppl complaining about bumping a player's thread. It's the Cristiano Ronaldo thread after all, so ppl can bump it anytime they want. It's like ppl complaining about the Welbeck thread being bumped, if you don't like it, then don't read it, but why complain about other ppl bumping it?

Anyway I came here to let everyone know the very important news that he is apparently is single now but it is not confirmed yet. She didn't go to the Balon d'or and the final point apparently was that after spending christmas with her and his son in Dubai Ronaldo wanted to be back in time in Portugal for his mother's birthday. She didn't like the idea and Ronaldo ended up spending New Year's eve alone with his son. Oh and of course the most revealing hint as always: Shé unfollowed him on Twitter. Now all we need is Rojo liking her unfollowing and the seperation will be confirmed!

Now can't wait for the Messi comparisons in regards to his parents/son/gf ...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nothing weird about it. I am obviously a Man United supporter first and foremost, but I'm not ashamed to say that my favorite player is Ronaldo (surprise!). Hence I am interested in whether or not he scores. I don't really care about Real (other than that I want them to win La Liga since that will boost Ronaldo's chance of personal awards..)

See that blows my mind. Your favourite player doesn't play for the club you support?!

Shit like that makes me feel very old.

The game gone changed... got mo... something...

SirAF

Ageist
See that blows my mind. Your favourite player doesn't play for the club you support?!

I'm certain that many posters here have a favorite player who does not play for their team. It doesn't make me or them any less supporters of our own team. Although, I'm 100% certain that Ronaldo would not have been my favorite player unless he had been with us - so there is a pretty logical connection there I think.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Someone's been watching The Wire lately.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

It's the sign of times, with all the media exposure and social media bollocks. I root for Sporting above all and don't care about individual awards. Having said, i'm at a crossroad now since my favourite player is actually a Manchester United player :lol:

mancan92

Why should the hard work, or lack of it, of a player even come in to it though? And more to the point, how do we even know how hard one player has worked compared to another? We don't know anything about it really other than platitudes given by employers to their most powerful and skilled players (which, as you pointed out, Ronaldo is).

Football is entertainment, and just like in art/music most people are inclined to be more impressed by sheer natural talent in full flow than they are endeavour - otherwise Darren Fletcher would be winning the ballon d'or, as I imagine he's put in more 'sheer hard work' in his recovery than Ronaldo could even imagine.

In an increasingly automated world ruled by rigid technology, more plastic than organic - the 'super proficient', wax work looking, self celebrating 'machine' that is Ronaldo is gonna leave some people cold.

Messi plays with a freedom and fluidity that, at his best, is actually cathartic to watch - the 'little guy' running free and mocking the 'organisation' of the defence - it offers people a feeling of exhilaration. And it's more aesthetically pleasing while at the same time being more productive, a feat that is really the pinnacle of any kind of entertainment.
Theres quotes from every single manager ronaldo has played for saying that he is the hardest trainer they had ever worked with.

Treble

Ronaldo played 6 seasons for Unted and has developed in one of the best footballers ever. It's perfectly normal some United fans to love him, nothing wrong with that. There isn't one right way to enjoy football, it's a matter of personal choice.

I'm sure that the favourite player of many many fans in the world doesn't play for the club they support because (1) most fans support non-big clubs and (2) many of them absolutely love players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, El Fenomeno, etc.

Sir A1ex

other than that I want them to win La Liga since that will boost Ronaldo's chance of personal awards..
This bit by itself blows my mind. You'd take into consideration personal awards when thinking about which team you want to win a competition?

I'm sure football used to be a team sport!

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10

jaysus :lol: :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
This bit by itself blows my mind. You'd take into consideration personal awards when thinking about which team you want to win a competition?

I'm sure football used to be a team sport!
Sure, I do. When it doesn't concern my own team, I'd like the team which will benefit the player I admire the most to win. Can't understand why this would blow the mind of anyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ronaldo played 6 seasons for Unted and has developed in one of the best footballers ever. It's perfectly normal some United fans to love him, nothing wrong with that. There isn't one right way to enjoy football, it's a matter of personal choice.

I'm sure that the favourite player of many many fans in the world doesn't play for the club they support because (1) most fans support non-big clubs and (2) many of them absolutely love players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, El Fenomeno, etc
We can all admire players that play for clubs we don't support. Some of the best players in the league play for clubs I despise. I think Aguero is a phenomenal player, for example.

But their favourite player? Can''t imagine my favourite player ever playing for a club other than the one I support. Of course, the whole concept of having a favourite individual player is weird one for me to begin with. It's a team sport and I can't really separate teams from individuals. Hence I can easily go from idolising a player to despising him, the moment he jumps ship. I don't think I'm in a minority either. Can't imagine many gooners rooting for Van Persie, Nasri or Fabregas. The blatant man love a minority of United fans seem to have for Ronaldo is, at the very least, unusual.

Like you say, though. There's no right or wrong way to enjoy football. I wouldn't dream of saying my own approach is the right one but I reserve the right to find other approaches weird!

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
@SirAF, I noticed you said in the Chelsea or City thread: "Chelsea obviously, it's 100% a no brainer."
What if this question was being asked in two years time and Ronaldo was City player?

Sir A1ex

Sure, I do. When it doesn't concern my own team, I'd like the team which will benefit the player I admire the most to win. Can't understand why this would blow the mind of anyone.
Just can't be that bothered with individual honours. I don't think the game would be any worse off whatsoever if the Ballon D'or etc didn't exist, it's all just pointless back-slapping. Much like the Oscars - I love a good film, but I don't sit there during a compelling performance thinking how pleased I am that the actor I support could be in line for a gong.
By all means have industry awards - everybody does (I know somebody who was recently in with a shot of dentist of the year or whatever dentists have). But I honestly don't give a toss about who wins.

SirAF

Ageist
@SirAF, I noticed you said in the Chelsea or City thread: "Chelsea obviously, it's 100% a no brainer."
What if this question was being asked in two years time and Ronaldo was City player?
Then I would turn on him, I promise you that. As I said, I'm obviously a Man United supporter first and foremost - and Real Madrid winning La Liga (Or CL when we are unable to participate or have been knocked out) has no bearing on us. Ronaldo playing for City, however, would be something completely different.

The notion that I would put Ronaldo's interests ahead of United's is pretty silly, however unrealistic the proposed scenario is.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Just can't be that bothered with individual honours. I don't think the game would be any worse off whatsoever if the Ballon D'or etc didn't exist, it's all just pointless back-slapping. Much like the Oscars - I love a good film, but I don't sit there during a compelling performance thinking how pleased I am that the actor I support could be in line for a gong.
By all means have industry awards - everybody does (I know somebody who was recently in with a shot of dentist of the year or whatever dentists have). But I honestly don't give a toss about who wins.
I rank the Ballon d'Or very highly, but I can obviously see where you and those others who are not bothered are coming from. However, there is no right or wrong here. Everyone is entitled to their views, and how they enjoy football.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Then I would turn on him, I promise you that. As I said, I'm obviously a Man United supporter first and foremost - and Real Madrid winning La Liga (Or CL when we are unable to participate or have been knocked out) has no bearing on us. Ronaldo playing for City, however, would be something completely different.

The notion that I would put Ronaldo's interests ahead of United's is pretty silly, however unrealistic the proposed scenario is.
That wouldn't be affecting United that much, to be honest. It's assuming that United can't win the league (which is the assumption this season)
But fair enough. it wasn't a loaded question or anything. I was just wondering.

Skorenzy

I rank the Ballon d'Or very highly, but I can obviously see where you and those others who are not bothered are coming from. However, there is no right or wrong here. Everyone is entitled to their views, and how they enjoy football.
Meh. Since the merger with FIFA's WPOTY award it's become not much more than a popularity contest that's also plagued by the usual voting politics. You only need to look at Cristiano's and Messi's own votes to determine that much... Or better yet, the (rightfully) much-maligned FIFPro XIs to get a sense of the players' view on their peers. The UEFA Best Player in Europe award is a far better indicator in my opinion, as it's based on the original (post-1995?) BdO, and it also runs on a seasonal (!!) basis, so for that alone it should be more important that FIFA's show (well, as far as European club football is concerned anyway, not that it apparently matters as Neymar at Santos was the only non-UEFA member to even make it onto the shortlist as far as I can remember).

SirAF

Ageist
That wouldn't be affecting United that much, to be honest. It's assuming that United can't win the league (which is the assumption this season)
But fair enough. it wasn't a loaded question or anything. I was just wondering.
I wouldn't want City (or Liverpool) to win the league even if we were relegated, no matter what ;)

Fair do's, no problem mate.

SirAF

Ageist
Meh. Since the merger with FIFA's WPOTY award it's become not much more than a popularity contest that's also plagued by the usual voting politics. You only need to look at Cristiano's and Messi's own votes to determine that much... Or better yet, the (rightfully) much-maligned FIFPro XIs to get a sense of the players' view on their peers. The UEFA Best Player in Europe award is a far better indicator in my opinion, as it's based on the original (post-1995?) BdO, and it also runs on a seasonal (!!) basis, so for that alone it should be more important that FIFA's show (well, as far as European club football is concerned anyway, not that it apparently matters as Neymar at Santos was the only non-UEFA member to even make it onto the shortlist as far as I can remember).
You got a lot of good points there, but it is the only official award to determine the best player in the world. Some don't buy that, and I respect that. However, it is what it is! The official coronation of the best player in the world that year.

Skorenzy

You got a lot of good points there, but it is the only official award to determine the best player in the world. Some don't buy that, and I respect that. However, it is what it is! The official coronation of the best player in the world that year.
I bet nobody considered Corinthians the best club side in the world in 2012 even though they won the only official world title for clubs that year.

SirAF

Ageist
I bet nobody considered Corinthians the best club side in the world in 2012 even though they won the only official world title for clubs that year.
They were still, officially, World Champions. I also hold the Club World Cup in a very very high regard.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I'm sure that the favourite player of many many fans in the world doesn't play for the club they support because (1) most fans support non-big clubs and (2) many of them absolutely love players like Zidane, Ronaldinho, El Fenomeno, etc.
Even though I have no connection whatsoever, I supported Uruguay whenever Forlan was on the pitch. I watched almost all their matches in every tournament they were in, hoping to see Forlan performed well. And the guy didn't even do much for United.

Football, it's weird like that.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Even though I have no connection whatsoever, I supported Uruguay whenever Forlan was on the pitch. I watched almost all their matches in every tournament they were in, hoping to see Forlan performed well. And the guy didn't even do much for United.

Football, it's weird like that.
:lol:

Who can forget that goal and that shirtless running around?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The prior Ballon d'or became a joke around the turn of the century. Then it became a popularity contest and players in England were often overlooked for the overhyped starlets at the big Italian and Spanish clubs (some of which pimped by their big sponsors).

Figo 2000 - pretty much off the hype of his transfer to Real; Kahn, Keane, Raul, and Zidane had better years
Owen 2001 - puhlease, Beckham, Kahn and Raul were sublime that year
Ronaldo 2002 - comeback award, Kahn and Rivaldo were better in the tournament and overall
Schevchenko 2004 - Henry was much better, Deco also in with a shout
Cannavaro 2006 - only because Italy won the WC, Ronaldhino was still TBPITW and had led Barca to a double
Kaka 2007 - basically given for AC Milan winning the CL; hotly debated if he had a better year than Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.