Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninety

Normally I take these kind things with a grain of salt as there are no direct quotes and a lot of "sources" close to United which are always suss. But the thought of Ronaldo returning here unleashes the inner muppet within me. I'd take him back if he's anywhere near his best. The prospect of him teaming up with Rooney, RVP, Kagawa is just too much for me to handle. That said, the odds of him coming back are long at best. I can't see us braking the bank for anyone, even Ronaldo. And by the time his contract has expired SAF will probably be gone.

Can't hurt to hope though!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Everyone would take him back, he's the 2nd best player in the world and just amazing! Plus, he would fit perfectly into our team and there is even a report on Sky with quotes from Gill about a potential interest

We should have included a buy-back clause in the contract though.

Keltoi

Based on what we've been reading lately, we still don't know shit. But we caftards can be forgiven for suspecting there might be a chance Ronaldo will return to Old Trafford, this summer or next summer. Huge barriers to making this happen remain and there's even a chance Fergie might NOT want Ronaldo back.

I wouldn't get giddy, though. Early days, twists and turns and all that.
I dont think thats the case at all tbh. He said this in an interview recently:

I don't know when his contract finishes. He may want to go to another club at some point in his career and I'd hope he would want to come here. But that's a long way off
I cant find the quotes now but maybe someone else can but I recall fergie saying he'd spend 80 mil on him, or hes the only player he'd spend it on, something along those lines

Donut

Interesting that Gill knows the exact time Ronaldo still has on his contract. I'm sure we're looking into it, even if the chances are close to zero.

surf

What are peoples opinion, would resigning Ronaldo mean we'd win the treble? I love him as a player but just how much better can our attack get?
Depends how good you think Ashley Young is, since he's getting into the side at the moment.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
CRISTIANO RONALDO and Jose Mourinho’s stunning bust-up was confirmed by Real Madrid last night.

The heated exchange between the two happened after Real’s 2-0 first-leg Copa del Rey win against Valencia this week and was published yesterday in Spain.

Real boss Mourinho had a pop at his fellow Portuguese Ronaldo, who snapped back: “I give my life for you and you are wrong to criticise me.”

But yesterday Real centre-half Raul Albiol tried to play down the incident.

He said: “After the matches the boss can have an opinion and tell a player.

“In this case they are two winners like Mourinho and Cristiano who are ambitious and demand a lot of themselves. They had an exchange of opinions but nothing more. It will not affect the team nor our performance.

“It stays there because we have an important match in Valencia and we want to win.”

It is the latest controversy to hit Real just three weeks before they face Manchester United in a make-or-break Champions League tie.

Mourinho reportedly told Ronaldo: “In the last 15 minutes you went hiding, Cris. You know that in the knock-out games an away goal counts for a lot. You have to work hard till the end.”

Ronaldo was reportedly shaking his head in disbelief in front of his team-mates before hitting back.

Tensions at the Spanish giant have been running high for some months now and Mourinho has had a series of high-profile bust-ups with stars like Sergio Ramos, Fabio Coentrao, Iker Casillas and now Ronaldo.

The former Chelsea manager’s authority has suffered within the star-studded dressing room as results in La Liga have gone from bad to worse this season.

The Spanish champions are currently in third place, 18 points behind leaders and bitter rivals Barcelona before this weekend’s fixtures, with Barca playing at Real Sociedad last night and Real Madrid travelling to take on Valencia this evening.
so as to avoid giving that shower of cnuts any more hits.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Hmmm another press leak from the dressing room.

SirAF

Ageist
Not this time gambit. I saw the footage myself and it wasn't pretty. At the end of the day, Mourinho is the manager, like him or not, his job is on the line and has been for some time. Ronaldo should have done what is asked of him, because he is not bigger than the club, no-one is.
Do you have the link?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Can't see him staying at Madrid beyond this coming summer. If they finish 3rd, the pressure and fan blame will be too much for both Mourinho and Ronaldo to stay - and Madrid will probably try to cash in before he gets too close to being out of contract.

I'm always right

Not this time gambit. I saw the footage myself and it wasn't pretty. At the end of the day, Mourinho is the manager, like him or not, his job is on the line and has been for some time. Ronaldo should have done what is asked of him, because he is not bigger than the club, no-one is.
Footage?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
There's footage of the row?

This just sounds like the media continuing to try to make a bit of drama in a league that is already practically over

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There isn't any footage. It happened in the dressing room but when Ronaldo answered back, it got so loud it could be heard in the tunnel (no sound recording either but plenty of witnesses).

It did start on the pitch and there's footage of Mourinho getting angry with Ronaldo. There's a bad throw-in that puts Ozil in trouble. Two missed chances. A shot taken when a pass would have been better. A ball lost that led to a Valencia attack. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary, Mou gets angry but Ronaldo doesn't say anything on the field.

Smores

Doesn't sound much of a 'row'. His manager told him to try harder and he said he gave it everything. Big deal

If that's a row then we must have rows every week with Fergie

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I give my life for you and you are wrong to criticise me.”

Mother of god!
That's Marca's version that the Sun have translated. AS and some of the others said it was something like, stuck up for you (dar la cara) which is presumably a reference to defending Mourinho to the crowd and the other players.

I'd guess though that it's all translated from angry, overheard Portuguese and a lot of things tend to wander during transcription and translation.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
We already have our Drama Queen award winner and it is Cristiano Ronaldo:

Real boss Mourinho had a pop at his fellow Portuguese Ronaldo, who snapped back: “I give my life for you and you are wrong to criticise me.”
As for the secodn bolded part, he has every single right to criticise Ronaldo, just as Sir Alex criticised Beckham in the dressing room or Evans on the pitch.

What Mourinho did or said to Ronaldo was nowhere near as bad as what SAF said to Evans. Fecking drama queens, you've got to laugh at them.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Hmmm another press leak from the dressing room.

What Mourinho did or said to Ronaldo was nowhere near as bad as what SAF said to Evans. Fecking drama queens, you've got to laugh at them.
To be fair, you were the one who said "I saw the footage myself and it wasn't pretty." As drama queen remarks go, that's got to be pretty high.

The Real Madrid players on the other hand have all said - it's nothing.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
To be fair, you were the one who said "I saw the footage myself and it wasn't pretty." As drama queen remarks go, that's got to be pretty high.

The Real Madrid players on the other hand have all said - it's nothing.
Indeed Jo. Perhaps you should nominate me early...:D At least I will win something. As for the spat, let them continue to do that, whilst the others do their job. They have the two biggest egos in la liga and hopefully one or both will go, though hopefully not to Manchester United.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Never said that they do. Ronaldo is too big of an asset for Madrid to lose. They'll do whatever it takes to make him stay. Give him money, blow some smoke up his arse, whatever. Imagine, the gap between Barcelona and Madrid if Ronaldo left.
He's bound to leave sooner or later. He seems less content at Madrid than he was at United. As for Madrid, the dynamics of the Barca-Madrid rivalry are bound to swing back and forth. Madrid will move on to the next Galactico after Ronaldo leaves.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
two great goals and a penalty very well taken

with todays hattrick, he reached 302 goals in liga games -portugal, england and spain-

another thing, he masterfully scored the first two goals, but also he was very well assisted by ozil and de maria

this goes to the ones that say he is not well surrounded

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've mentioned before that Ronaldo fell out of favour with Marca for a while, but they've been having second thoughts - fearful that Ronaldo won't renew his contract.

He vanished from their covers for a while and got replaced by: Falcao to Madrid, Neymar to Madrid, Bale to Madrid, somebody to Madrid rumours which failed to get any bandwagons rolling. Marca are now guiltily using him as their favourite cover story again. Culminating in the most flattering headline any Real Madrid player could ever get:

And yes, that is Di Stefano himself saying, "If I could choose a successor at Madrid, it would be Cristiano."

Got a big ovation from the crowd today, I guess they've finally noticed him as well.

Skorenzy

I've mentioned before that Ronaldo fell out of favour with Marca for a while, but they've been having second thoughts - fearful that Ronaldo won't renew his contract.

He vanished from their covers for a while and got replaced by: Falcao to Madrid, Neymar to Madrid, Bale to Madrid, somebody to Madrid rumours which failed to get any bandwagons rolling. Marca are now guiltily using him as their favourite cover story again. Culminating in the most flattering headline any Real Madrid player could ever get:

And yes, that is Di Stefano himself saying, "If I could choose a successor at Madrid, it would be Cristiano."

Got a big ovation from the crowd today, I guess they've finally noticed him as well.

Too bad they roped old Alfredo into that quote... or he felt he needed to lift the pressure or something, but that headline is just wrong on so many levels. If anything he's the Puskás of the 21st century (although with the physique of a Pelé or Eusébio): a ruthless goalscorer with traction engines for legs.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

As for the secodn bolded part, he has every single right to criticise Ronaldo, just as Sir Alex criticised Beckham in the dressing room or Evans on the pitch.

Fergie :lol:.. feck me he's frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.