Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindhunter

Just to put things in perspective, a player who has a highly desirable torso decides to bare himself after scoring in a Champions League final and people want to find fault with this. What's wrong with the world?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I meant he wanted to make sure 'Ronaldo' was the picture on all the back pages, because he's the biggest narcissist on the face of the planet, I thought that was generally accepted.... lets face it he did feck all else to get himself noticed.
Wow so much hate in this post, or simply moral grounds were held up just so high these days that an emotional celebration should deserve all these criticism on the basis of it's rationalized importance.

celia

Obviously no interesting United news. So people only have this to write about. Let me contribute too.

I also thought it was too much, but I remembered Ronaldo is emotional and really cares if he plays well or score, and is unsatisfied otherwise even if the game is won. I really admire this work ethics. I was mostly amused too. Maybe because I reserve my disliking to players that intend to hurt others or do other despicable things (and celebrations don't belong there except if they are racist, insulting etc...).

Bale was also quite absent until he scored (and another Real player did the hardest, I really wished Di Maria had scored, it would have been more spectacular), I thought he wasted the easier chances before.

CantonaGiggs1

Wow so much hate in this post, or simply moral grounds were held up just so high these days that an emotional celebration should deserve all these criticism on the basis of it's rationalized importance.
I have never had a problem with an athlete's "arrogance" or individuality. I love that in an athlete. I like athlete's to be bigger than life. I don't want my athletes to look or act like my next door neighbor. I don't give a shit if they are humble or not.

I have never understood the hate for Ronaldo.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What the feck are you talking about... Ronaldo is a narcissist, it's hardly a wild claim is it?

Go put a few ice cubes on your hole because he's going to get, and probably deserves a bit of stick for it.... it doesn't make him any less of a footballer if that makes you feel any better, in fact being self obsessed and vain are some of the things that make him a great player.

If you can't look at it, objectively, forgetting your man love for Ronaldo, and realise why people even might view it as slight contrived and egotistical, you know considering the lad involved, then I'd say you're being a wee bit biased.

I don't hate Ronaldo, he's a Utd legend and one the best players to pull on the jersey, that doesn't mean I have to view everything he does as divine, particularly when he's acting like a cock.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
I'd like to think he wasn't as bad at United. Or did I have my blinkers on? Holyland suspects I probably did have them on.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I'd like to think he wasn't as bad at United. Or did I have my blinkers on? Holyland suspects I probably did have them on.
Nah, he wasn't. But then while he was here he wasn't in direct competition with another bloke in the same league for basically every title, team and individual. He's got more to aim for at Real and so more to be a dick about.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He is still in his 20s. And a man.
We all know how we are then. If we do something great we want to show it. And thats fine.
It was in his city, his first big club, in his country. He just was happy and posed a bit. Big deal....
The people who know him praise and praised his hard work and kind character and things like this give me a wet eye and (even as a Bayernguy) let me acknowledge his greatness

twitter.com/SeedatUsama/status/471000642375258112/photo/1 so sweet:drool::)
ahh, you are Bayern guy. That explains the SAF-Pep argument :p

Treble

We all know how we are then. If we do something great we want to show it. And thats fine.
It was in his city, his first big club, in his country. He just was happy and posed a bit. Big deal....
The people who know him praise and praised his hard work and kind character and things like this give me a wet eye and (even as a Bayernguy) let me acknowledge his greatness

Great post!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If he does stuff like that off the field who really cares about an over-the-top celebration?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ronaldo may be narcissistic at times but he's not like the average footballer that lets fame and money go to his head. He's a really nice person and helps out people IRL.

I remember reading the an article about Ronaldo and his Andorinha Madeira team-mate Albert Fantrau. Long story short Albert sacrificed his chances of being selected the Sporting academy because only one of them would make it. After hearing this many journalists went to Albert’s house and asked him if it was true. He said yes. He also said that his career as a player ended soon after the match and he is now unemployed. But then a journalist noticed that Albert was living a luxurious life. The journalist immediately popped the question, “How did you afford this spectacular house and this great car? You seem like a rich man. Where did this come from?” Albert proudly replied: “It is all because of Ronaldo.”

http://soccer.indonewyork.com/never-told-before-heart-warming-story-of-cristiano-ronaldo/

There also the case of pitch invader, Ronald Gjoka who ran onto the field and hugged Ronaldo. Many players would've reacted differently, some even turn hostile in these kind of situations. Gjoka ended up spending the rest of the day and night in a cell, and was charged with disorderly conduct and trespassing. But Ronaldo went as far as requesting the DA to drop charges against Gjoka.

http://news.sky.com/story/1150714/ronaldo-stars-support-for-pitch-invasion-fan

Of course he'll react badly in matches. Most of his playing career Ronaldo's been seen as second fiddle to Messi and that must be excruciating for a player as ambitious as him. He was called a good time Charlie at the start, a one trick pony and a lot of different things. Johnny Giles even went as far as calling him a "disgrace to football". So maybe this is his way of expressing that he's just as great a player and deserves to be treated with respect. He's only human after all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What the feck are you talking about... Ronaldo is a narcissist, it's hardly a wild claim is it?

Go put a few ice cubes on your hole because he's going to get, and probably deserves a bit of stick for it.... it doesn't make him any less of a footballer if that makes you feel any better, in fact being self obsessed and vain are some of the things that make him a great player.

If you can't look at it, objectively, forgetting your man love for Ronaldo, and realise why people even might view it as slight contrived and egotistical, you know considering the lad involved, then I'd say you're being a wee bit biased.

I don't hate Ronaldo, he's a Utd legend and one the best players to pull on the jersey, that doesn't mean I have to view everything he does as divine, particularly when he's acting like a cock.
Yeh he might be a narcissist, but your claim on him being the "biggest narcissist on the face of the planet... did feck all else to get himself noticed.." Well guess who is over the top now, you need to chill out abit.

I mean, Like it or not, he has scored 17 goals, all time record in the history of European football and no one else ever came close during past 5 decades or so. If you could at least look at this objectively without all these hate and anger, afterall it's just a goal celebration, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

MJJ

And united are?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was petulant and a drama queen but that's it. Definitely more of a narcissist now than he was then. More blatantly anyhow. To an extent it can be explained by the ludicrous circus he's part of at Real Madrid. Although perhaps it was inevitable someone with such a monstrous ego would end up at a football club that is more about the individual than the team. He's at his spiritual home now, that's for sure.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Oh in that case it makes sense, I thought he was referring to madrid as his first big club.
If he was then I'd suggest we lynch the heretic and bathe in his Bavarian blood. :mad::D

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He was petulant and a drama queen but that's it. Definitely more of a narcissist now than he was then. More blatantly anyhow. To an extent it can be explained by the ludicrous circus he's part of at Real Madrid. Although perhaps it was inevitable someone with such a monstrous ego would end up at a football club that is more about the individual than the team. He's at his spiritual home now, that's for sure.
I don't disagree with you assessment Mr. Pogue, you're a professor level poster if ever there was one. But we also have to consider that these are just young men thrust into the limelight and wealth at a very young age. We can argue about their behaviour all we want and how they're not good role models but in a similar situation I can guarantee many of us would've pissed our careers away and become intoxicated with fame and chasing vampish birds. We just have to consider his circumstance and ascent from a life of poverty to where he is now. Despite all the success he feels that he still has a lot to prove to his detractors and consequently plays with a chip on his shoulder. Normal people like us can't fathom what it feels like to have your every move being microscopically dissected and become subject of worldwide debate. Any other era and he would've been the unanimous best player in the world and won 4-5-6 Ballon D'Ors. But he might feel that he's hard done by and unfortunate to be sharing time with Messi and living in his shadow. For most of his time in Madrid, Barcelona have swept the floor with them, won Champions League titles and La Liga titles while he had to watch from the sidelines, even after being probably the most statistically effective player in the world. That has to hurt, he's not a robot. And all the suppressed emotions are coming out now, after scoring 17 and playing a massive part in leading Madrid to the vaunted La Decima. Let him enjoy and celebrate the moment, he's worked incredibly hard for it and turned himself into the most complete footballer on the face of the planet. He's standing at the pinnacle of the football world and deservingly so. Ronaldo can have his hour of glory, even if the celebrations seem a bit vain.

northbynorthwest

Ronaldo may be narcissistic at times but he's not like the average footballer that lets fame and money go to his head. He's a really nice person and helps out people IRL.

I remember reading the an article about Ronaldo and his Andorinha Madeira team-mate Albert Fantrau. Long story short Albert sacrificed his chances of being selected the Sporting academy because only one of them would make it. After hearing this many journalists went to Albert’s house and asked him if it was true. He said yes. He also said that his career as a player ended soon after the match and he is now unemployed. But then a journalist noticed that Albert was living a luxurious life. The journalist immediately popped the question, “How did you afford this spectacular house and this great car? You seem like a rich man. Where did this come from?” Albert proudly replied: “It is all because of Ronaldo.”

http://soccer.indonewyork.com/never-told-before-heart-warming-story-of-cristiano-ronaldo/

There also the case of pitch invader, Ronald Gjoka who ran onto the field and hugged Ronaldo. Many players would've reacted differently, some even turn hostile in these kind of situations. Gjoka ended up spending the rest of the day and night in a cell, and was charged with disorderly conduct and trespassing. But Ronaldo went as far as requesting the DA to drop charges against Gjoka.

Of course he'll react badly in matches. Most of his playing career Ronaldo's been seen as second fiddle to Messi and that must be excruciating for a player as ambitious as him. He was called a good time Charlie at the start, a one trick pony and a lot of different things. Johnny Giles even went as far as calling him a "disgrace to football". So maybe this is his way of expressing that he's just as great a player and deserves to be treated with respect. He's only human after all.
Very good post and i understand your arguments. But ronaldo doesnt need to demonstrate to the world how good he is by his celebration. we know how good he is and that he is one of the best players of all time. His stats say enough about his talent. No need to extravagantly force the issue

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Only Ronaldo would get this kind of negative reaction out of a celebration, if it were Messi, he would be praised for it.

northbynorthwest

All he had to do was score the penalty and thank his team mates and i would be posting things like: "Ronaldo is catching up with messi and i am glad he has got a second CL" and so on. The guy now is going to get a torrent of abuse at the world cup. He wonders then why people dont like him and throw lighters at him. The guy is a fool, an extremely talented fool though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
All he had to do was score the penalty and thank his team mates and i would be posting things like: "Ronaldo is catching up with messi and i am glad he has got a second CL" and so on. The guy now is going to get a torrent of abuse at the world cup. He wonders then why people dont like him and throw lighters at him. The guy is a fool, an extremely talented fool though.
Bullshit, he doesn't have to celebrate the way YOU want him to, and neither is it his fault he gets torrents of abuse because he does an OTT celebration. He's certainly been no fool either, he worked for the team, and let all his emotions out in the celebration. So fecking what, get over yourselves rather than telling Ronaldo to on an internet forum. I bet none of you were calling him a narcissist when he told the Highbury crowd in 2005 to hush when we did the double over Arsenal. He was injured in this game, and still produced the goods when it mattered, in extra time yeah, but he did it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's a moment of intense emotion and joy for him, just give it to him for 10 sec (the part when he posed by himself to show off his muscle after team celebration) he deserve it after all the hardwork he has done in this competition. He did give thanks and praise to his teammates afterwards during those interviews with the press mind, which is fair I think.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's funny when Bolt broke the 100m sprint record and made an arrogant pose, everyone laughs. When Ronaldo did it after breaking all time record, some people can't stand it and slated him for days.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Personally I like theatrical characters like Ronaldo, Zlatan or Cantona. They add some flavour to the game. If everyone acted like Messi or Xavi (no offence magnificent players) football would be such a bland boring game with their deadpan reactions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's a little strange to me that people get so defensive about this. He acted like a bit of a prat. In the eyes of a lot of people watching anyway. It's certainly what I've heard from everyone I know who watched the game, including fans of United and Madrid. Seems to be the consensus amongst most neutral pundits in the media too. This isn't a criticism of his ability as a footballer. It's barely even a criticism of him as a person. I mean who one here has never acted like a prat? I'm sure he loves his mammy and has done a tonne of good work for charity. Does this mean it's somehow impossible for him to ever act like a prat?

The only reason this thread is still going several days later is because it seems as though some people refuse to accept that their hero might have feet of clay and sometimes... you know... acts like a bit of a prat.

Chicharito_

It's funny when Bolt broke the 100m sprint record and made an arrogant pose, everyone laughs. When Ronaldo did it after breaking all time record, some people can't stand it and slated him for days.
It's because there is a huge difference between a team sport and an individual one.

Ronaldo wasn't happy until he scored in that final and barely celebrated the other 3 goals but when he scores he seems to expect the whole team and bench to celebrate with him.

I can see why people thought it was distasteful.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow this thread is shocking. I didn't know people cared about his personality that much.

gormless

Sorry but that story just patently isn´t true. No football club is gonna select players for their academy based on "who scores more" in a particular match.

Agree with the overall point you´re making, he was great with a kid who lost everything in an earthquake a few years ago. But that story is just utterly ridiculous

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's because there is a huge difference between a team sport and an individual one.

Ronaldo wasn't happy until he scored in that final and barely celebrated the other 3 goals but when he scores he seems to expect the whole team and bench to celebrate with him.

I can see why people thought it was distasteful.
How do you know he wasn't happy? Did you really see the "whole team" all out in celebration as caught by the camera to make such assumption?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You can't compare a sprinter to Ronaldo in a squad full of players, manager and coaching staff. Maybe if at the finish line Bolt had his coach waiting there but he completely blanked him then we would also be criticising his arrogance. There is a time and a place for being arrogant, or at least where it is understandable. Scoring a penalty to make it 4-1 in a Champions League final after having a crap game is not the time and the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.