Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The criticism begins and ends with his evident focus on individual glory in a team sport. Obviously, this bothers some people more than others. To each their own, eh?
His teammates don't seem to be bothered by it and they are surely the ones who are important in the argument. It just seems to me to be people getting on their high horse when they don't even know what the Real Madrid team relationship dynamic is.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
the context is completely different. Ali did the same in boxing, but at the heart of it all he was likeable and beat his opponents, which makes his actions justified. Ronaldo is in a team, he did nothing in the final and goes off and celebrates like he single handedly won the match.

Bolt only does that because he knows he can win. If bolt did what he does and then came fourth, hed look like a fool, a bit like ronaldo did last saturday night.
If CL is down to one match only, you might have a point. But it isn't, it was a tournament, played over the whole season, his contribution throughout was unmatched by anyone.

When Maradona single-handedly won the WC for Argentina, he didn't scored in the final as well, yet he celebrated as if he was god of football, which is fair because he was by far the best player of the tournament.

In Ronaldo case, the celebration came during the final mins of the tournament, when the match is already done and dusted. A moment of joy and reflection upon all hard work he did over the year and the record breaking feat isn't all that unjustified.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I guess the same moral high horse crowd was up in arms when he did this celebration five years ago. Funny how the color of the shirt changes everything.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not that I'm bothered by his celebrations, but the above video was when he scored the 3rd goal for us in a crucial league match after we were 0-2 down. The fact that he didn't celebrate Bale's goal then proceeded to do his Hulk-esque celebration after scoring a non relevant goal speaks volume of his ego!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well it's a direct quote coming from your keyboard you know, who else could you blame :) I see your trying real hard to portrait other as fanboy instead, if that makes you feel better I don't mind.
Yeah, I mean nothing about calling yourself Ronaldo on an internet forum suggests you might have little man love going on.

Ronaldo's a great footballer, he loves himself, same as Becks did but probably to a more extreme degree, I mean, whether true of Ronaldo or not, I don't think you could ever say Beckham wasn't a team player.
Ronaldo is more of an 'individual' than a team player, but before everyone starts wailing, it works pretty well so fair dues to him. Good players... vain media obsessed cocks sometimes but good players.

To me at least, it was pretty blatantly contrived to make sure Ronaldo was in all the pictures accompanying the story of Reals success. I'm not really sure why that's such a controversial opinion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His teammates don't seem to be bothered by it and they are surely the ones who are important in the argument. It just seems to me to be people getting on their high horse when they don't even know what the Real Madrid team relationship dynamic is.
Of course they don't. Likewise the Real Madrid fans. At least, if they are bothered by it I'm sure whatever irritation they feel is more than out-weighed by the gratitude they feel for what he brings them on the pitch. As United fans, it's not even difficult to put yourself in that headspace. Go back to any thread on here pre-2006 which made any mention of him flouncing, diving or generally acting like a knob and you'll see it consists exclusively of posts from people defending and excusing his actions (with the only alternate opinions coming from fans of different clubs). When you're as good/valuable as he is, it's easy to cast a blind eye on the negatives. Compare and contrast with the Ashley Young diving threads, for example.

When you don't have any emotional investment in him as a footballer, or the success of a team he plays for, I think you can be a bit more objective about what's happening. That's why so many neutrals have come out and said they found his actions a little distasteful. Obviously, there's a lot of United fans still very much in love with the bloke so - even though he's a Real Madrid player - there's a lingering lack of objectivity on here too.

I would imagine this debate is very different on message boards of most other football clubs in Europe. In fact I'd imagine there's not much debate at all, so much a rapid consensus along the lines of "that was a bit cringey, he's a great player but bit of a tool".

EricaNo7

Of course he knew what he was doing. I know I would rather look at the divine Ronaldo than a chimp even if he has had his ears pinned back .
He did much the same when we won the Champions League didn't he? All the cameras were on him when he collapsed theatrically to the ground , in floods of tears. I still wish he was with us though, despite an ego bigger than Kim Kardashian's bottom :)

hebegebe

No ronaldo is vain. He is not a cnut in any sense of the words. cnuts are people like Barton, Ramos, Terry etc

Why do people always have to exaggerate.
Touched a nerve, do you have a man crush?

Ronaldo is vain along with arrogant, petulant, childish and a cnut, oh and let's not forget he's pretty good at football too.

Kaush949

Wow, the butt-hurtness is strong in this thread. Are people equally critical of Muhammad Ali's or Michael Jordan's arrogance? The arrogance is part and parcel of their greatness. I for one, loved his celebration. Scoring a goal, enroute to La Decima in front of all the Lisboners who saw him develop as a kid. I would have taken my pants off too.

kps88

To be fair, if Messi took off his shirt and did a little flex pose, we'd all be laughing our asses off.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Of course he is allowed to do it. But in doing so, he must accept he will have some people on an internet forum calling him an arrogant narcissistic prick. The greatest punishment known to man.
Doubt he cares..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I guess the same moral high horse crowd was up in arms when he did this celebration five years ago. Funny how the color of the shirt changes everything.

True. And its been said by many who actually know him that he's a nice guy and model professional.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Still with the celebration stuff :lol:

All I can tell you is that it caused a lot more excitement/headlines/speculation/criticism on RedCafe than it did in Spain. I don't think it got above the, "Funny lad, isn't he?" level there before they got on with the serious business of deifying Ramos.

Skorenzy

Funny how Ronaldo is now reduced to being compared to Iniesta from comparisons to Messi :lol: That's after a season he scores 17 goals in CL, almost single-handedly winning them the trophy. This place can sure be strange at times! Just what would he be if he listened to such weirdos on the internet? I hope for his sakes, he continues to wind people up with even more innovative ideas.
Cristiano was clearly the stand-out player of this season's CL, setting an all-time record and scoring with ridiculous consistency, but that statement is hugely unfair on his team mates. In fact almost none of his goals in the knock-out stages were vital ones.

Schalke 1 - 6 Real Madrid: scored 0-3 & 0-6 (Benzema opened the scoring, Bale extended the lead)
Real Madrid 3 - 1 Schalke: scored 1-0 & 2-1 (fairly redundant given the 1st leg result)

Real Madrid 3 - 0 Borussia Dortmund: scored 3-0 (Bale opened the scoring, Isco extended the lead)
Borussia Dortmund 2 - 0 Real Madrid: absent through injury, on aggregate his 1st leg goal was vital

Real Madrid 1 - 0 FC Bayern: didn't score (Benzema scored the only goal)
FC Bayern 0 - 4 Real Madrid: scored 0-3 & 0-4 (Ramos scored the first two)

Real Madrid 4 - 1 (aet) Atlético: scored 4-1 (Ramos scored the vital equaliser, Bale scored the lead goal, Marcelo extended their lead)

If anything this perfectly illustrates Real Madrid and Cristiano's biggest strength (or so the pattern goes in this year's CL anyway): killing off the opponent on the counter after they've been forced to open up (usually through a Benzema, Bale or Ramos goal*).

*on a side-note, it was also Benzema and Ramos who put RM within one goal of reaching the final last season in the 2nd leg v Dortmund (after that 1st leg mauling).

So while his campaign was wildly successful and the numbers speak for themselves, it's entirely wrong to paint this as a one-man show IMO. On an individual level he's had more impressive campaigns in 2007-08 and 2008-09, scoring several vital goals en route to the final -- and far better in quality too (v Porto, Arsenal). Same goes for Messi by the way: he scored 14 CL goals back in 2011-12, but not many important ones like in 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 or even last season (v AC Milan, PSG).

More isn't always better.

CantonaGiggs1

To be fair, if Messi took off his shirt and did a little flex pose, we'd all be laughing our asses off.
If Messi took off his shirt people would be saying he is showing respect towards the shirt by taking it off and not allowing it to get wrinkled/dirty while the players jump on him in celebration.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I think he needs a doctor to take a look at his neck, some weird shit growing on it:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So apparently the reason for this celebration has been revealed by the Spanish Media(El Confidencial).

The reason has little to do with sport, it was to do with another facet of football, one that is killing it, marketing. CR7 was bring recorded by a special camera, and his performance in the game is a crucial part of the film, ‘Ronaldo: the movie’.

The Portuguese striker knew where the camera was placed there and went to celebrate the goal.

Oh Ronnie...

mufcwarm92

The fuss over his celebration is pathetic. He scored in a Champions League Final. I'd lose the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.