Croatia or England

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Going to be a very close game. Modric has the ability to run rings around England. And the game could hinge on one small moment. I'm neither confident nor pessimistic. It's a true 50-50 game this. Let the best team win.

Obviously I hope it's England. Never thought I'd see them reach a World Cup Final before I was an old man. So if they can win this, it will be a once in a lifetime moment. Bricking it to be honest. It's Italia 90 and I'm 10 years old all over again.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
I’m really confident England have got this. From what I’ve seen Croatia don’t have the energy and pace we have. Modric is excelllent but in the twilight of his carrer and it’s shown in this World Cup. 2-1 England in normal time.

SER19

Being a self admitted bitter, pessimistic cnut I think England will win. Even excluding the fact Croatia's midfield is obviously better I also think they have threats out wide that England can't quite match like Perisic and Rebic. If it was played on paper they'd win but obviously it isn't and it just seems like everything is aligning perfectly for England this World Cup.

I don't think you can take much from the Denmark and Russia games though. Especially in the case of Russia where they just parked the bus and forced Croatia to come on to them. England won't do that. England are suspect defensively but the two teams they've played in the knockouts have been too scared of their attacking threat to even have a go. On the rare occasions they did venture forward they had some success and it was down to Pickford to perform heroics. Croatia will attack England so that'll be a test for them but obviously at the same time they'll leave themselves open so in theory it should be a cracking game.

Not sure if that'll have as much of a baring as you're suggesting tbh. England played 120 + penalties v Colombia while Sweden comparatively cruised through in 90 v Switzerland yet there were no signs of any physical advantage today. Croatia obviously have heavy legs but Saturday-Wednesday is enough time to recuperate.
Sweden absolutely didn’t cruise through v Switzerland and are a massively inferior team to England. Croatia too are a talented but over achieving small country and have had a mammoth tournament in terms of exertion and competition compared with England.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Croatia's midfielder is better but England have a stronger attack and are better at set pieces. Croatia also have Lovren in defensive so there's that.

I do have a feeling Kane will be the difference between the two sides. Also Croatia didnt look great from set pieces against Russia and England are especially good from them

MuFc_1992

They have Modric and Rakitic but I don’t see any superiority in defence and certainly not in attack.
The gulf in class between those two and what we have is ridiculous and in order to overcome that we should have better players in other positions but on paper only position where we're clearly better is striker and even there they have a good player in Mandzukic.

InfiniteBoredom

Ingerlund should win, it’ll a a boring game and they are better at set pieces.

If it gets to pens though, expect them to crack this time around.

Ban

Do they?

Subasic = Pickford
Lovren < Stones
Vida < Walker
Strinic = Maguire
Perisic > Young
Vsarliko < Trippier
Modric > Henderson
Rakitic > Alli
Krameric < Sterling
Rebic = Lingard
Mandzucic < Kane

That’s 5 - 3 to England. Modric and Kane both in the world class bracket. England also has Rashford on the bench.

We have a really good chance.
Subašić is a better keeper imo and defensively when on form Lovren is better than Stones. We also have Kovačić on the bench.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It'll be interesting to see how England will approach this one. What really stands out in their tactics thus far is their pressing and Kane/Sterling's ability to draw defenders wide in order to open up the channels for Lingard/Dele (or Sterling with the swaps in positions) to run into. The main issue here is that the former requires the lines to be pushed higher and the latter demands a good portion of possession/control in the attacking half. Right here the "did Modric/Rakitic run the show against Denmark and Russia?" line can become irrelevant and turn into a faux argument. With the lines pushed higher, Croatia's midfield certainly has the tools to bypass the press traps and get players on the ball in between the lines. As for establishing control in the centre of the park, well good luck with that against Modric/Rakitic.

For Croatia, the big question is how they will deal with the constant movement from Kane/Sterling/Dele/Lingard. Their midfielders are quite sound defensively but the absence of a designated defensive midfielder might prove crucial. And let's be honest, when decisions must be made within seconds, their back-four isn't the smartest bunch of defenders out there. They will also need to be more courageous with their forward runs and more people will have to step in the opposition box.

As for any surprises from the two managers. I don't think a diamond shape from Croatia should be considered as something out of the question. I know that their primary objective will probably be to expose the 352's weakness on the wings (and a diamond will possibly leave Perisic, who's good at that, out) but they will eventually have to make up for England's superiority in numbers in the attacking half. Plus, both Trippier and the much-maligned Young may not be flashy wing-backs who will storm down the sideline and dribble their way into the box ala Marcelo but they are very good at providing numerical advantages in the midfield battle. And after 240 minutes of football, this may prove a bit too much even for the two of best midfielders in the world.

On the other hand, Southgate has done a good job but now the stakes get really high. I believe Croatia's fatigue will be a card that he'll use at some point in the game. The three-men defence offers security but with Henderson in front of them, you can never be sure that there won't be instances when the three CBs will be back-peddling against opposition players running down through the middle. In this sense, it may not be such a bad idea to start Dier in this one next to Henderson. A more conservative approach but one that also can create opportunities for England's pacey attackers to get in behind Croatia's rather slow defence since both Henderson and Dier can hit good long balls and/or stretch the play if needed.

But these are no more than thoughts based on the idea that this semi-final is a huge opportunity for both teams to play in a WC final and i reckon that the keyword for both will be caution. But let's see what will happen. Anyway, it's nice to see England with an actual gameplan in a big tournament. It's more than a welcomed change after all these years of watching good to great players struggling to support poor tactics and managers trying to be diplomats more than actual coaches with their player selections. Or at least it's a welcomed change for me as a neutral.

buchansleftleg

My concern is the midfield. Against Sweden Henderson often had 30 metres of clear space around him.

Croatia will be able to have Rakitic all over him like a rash....Leaving Modric absolutely free to waltz around the edge of the box.

If he has his shooting boots on then he will be able to score at will.

Wonder if Southgate will shore up midfield / man mark modric with Phil Jones?

StuCol

Chimp
I’m looking forward to the game. It’s not an easy one to call by any stretch. I feel like England should just have the edge. That might be more in hope than any analysis but there it is.

I do feel like we will get several good set peice chances against Croatia, with our attacking players, and that’s where the edge might be.

Trizy

Tough one to call. You'd imagine on paper and with midfield quality Croatia should be the only winners. However, I'm concerned about their two 120minute games. Also England seem to be deadly from set pieces.

Expecting a great game. Hope Croatia win.

A Belgium vs Croatia final would be brilliant for football. Two countries who have never won it going head to head.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Subašić is a better keeper imo and defensively when on form Lovren is better than Stones. We also have Kovačić on the bench.
Finally Subasic is getting some love, he had a very surprising and relatively difficult 18 months but he has been excellent for Monaco. I still feel sorry for Romero who came to Monaco in order to relaunch his career as a starter.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
Croatia are certainly beatable. They've huffed and puffed against both sides in the knock outs. They've looked good at times but Russia really were getting at their back 4 with ease last night. England's superior attack will have a field day if they are allowed the type of space Croatia afforded Russia.

Modric is their stand out player but England have Kane. Kane easily has another couple of levels to step up to we haven't even seen at this world cup yet. He's not even playing at 70% of his full potential. If he turns it on against Croatia he should prove decisive. It could go either way of course but England will never have a better chance of reaching a World Cup final and I think England look the better side.

0le

Its just so close to call and I think that is fantastic. Its the same with the other draw. I really don't have a clue who will get into the final.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Croatia are so unlikable. But then you English are insufferable when you win. Hard choice. I guess I'll be rooting for Lingard and Rashford. Wouldn't mind you losing in the final though.

togg

This is really the first big test for England, it's on a higher level (can't include the Belgium game that was meaningless). I think Croatia's midfield make them favourites, but as this World Cup has proved, the favourites haven't been doing so well....

Jagga7

Before the quarters I always thought Croatia would beat us in the Semi's but they looked completely shattered and quite poor again Russia. It gives me hope we can do it now.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think Lovern on form is better than Stones on form. Lovern has never hit the heights Stones did early in the season with City. That said, they both have mistakes in them.

It’s kind of equal on quality for me but Croatia beat Argentina 3-0 so have a claim to a bigger performance in the tournament than England.

Ban

I don’t think Lovern on form is better than Stones on form. Lovern has never hit the heights Stones did early in the season with City. That said, they both have mistakes in them.

It’s kind of equal on quality for me but Croatia beat Argentina 3-0 so have a claim to a bigger performance in the tournament than England.
Stones has sat on the bench a lot of time and has mistake in him nearly every time. Lovren too of course but he's a better defender imo.

99withaflake

For me, it's pretty much a coin flip.

Going into the tournament, most of us would agree that Croatia are a better team than England.

But they're struggling to hit top form, are vulnerable at the back and could be fatigued after two 120-minute matches.

England are also dangerous when they're not creating chances in open, due to their dominance at corners.

In most circumstances I'd bet on Croatia, but there couldn't be a better time to play them, and I reckon it's a 50/50.

JPRouve

Scout
Stones has sat on the bench a lot of time and has mistake in him nearly every time. Lovren too of course but he's a better defender imo.
"Lovren is better than you.". If I was Stones I would cry myself to sleep after reading this, that's brutal.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Haha why? :)
You asking about Croatia? I don't like their lack of effort and poor tactical performance. The quality of the team and football is so low compared to the individual quality of the players. It's frustrating. They also needed luck in the last two rounds to beat teams that had much less quality but wanted it more.

JPRouve

Scout
You asking about Croatia? I don't like their lack of effort and poor tactical performance. The quality of the team and football is so low compared to the individual quality of the players. It's frustrating.
I think people underestimate the fact that we are at the end of the season, most players are tired physically and mentally. The World Cup should be played at the beginning of the season, in my opinion.

Ban

You asking about Croatia? I don't like their lack of effort and poor tactical performance. The quality of the team and football is so low compared to the individual quality of the players. It's frustrating.
I know what you mean. But it's the world cup sometimes you shine sometime you just go through. Coaches don't have enough time to drill the players tactically so they look like a well oiled machine. As for lack of effort unlike some of our past teams this one certainly doesn't lack it. On the contrary.

Mr.Plow

You asking about Croatia? I don't like their lack of effort and poor tactical performance. The quality of the team and football is so low compared to the individual quality of the players. It's frustrating. They also needed luck in the last two rounds to beat teams that had much less quality but wanted it more.
Don't forget most of them being ugly cnuts too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
My original prediction before the tournament started was a Croatia v Belgium final. Can't believe it can actually happen now!