Cucurella at Chelsea

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Horrific summer window from Chelsea. One of the worst ever in terms of the damage it did to a team imo
Really puts some of the summer meltdowns in here in perspective as well. :lol:

Irrational.

Just Boehly swinging his dick around. He was never a £62 million signing, but was signed just for the shits and giggles.

I expect a lot of Chelsea signings in the Boehly era will go this way.

Acole9

Outstanding
He is shite. Surely the worst signing of the summer. They paid over £50 million for a player who doesn't even get selected for his own national team.

Blood Mage

He was fantastic at Brighton, maybe a classic case of big fish small pond though? Too early to write him off of course.

Okey

I think it's obvious now what his level is. Out of his depth at Barca and Chelsea. Did well at Getafe and Brighton. Doesn't play for Spain. Chelsea have been absolutely rinsed here.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy I don’t remember him really having a bad game for Brighton but he’s been absolute shite so far for Chelsea. Did he get a lot of protection for you?
He was the signing of the season for us, but has clearly had difficulty adjusting at Chelsea. I would still back him to come good though, just as I would with Potter as well. He had an awful game last night, but there is an excellent player in there.

He played behind March quite a bit last season who is good at tracking back and the CBs he played with, generally Webster and Dunk are very mobile as well, maybe more so than Thiago Silva and Koulibaly so it was rare he was ever isolated. I remember White being written off at Arsenal in his first season there and he struggled under his price tag as well, but he is generally loved at Arsenal now, I can would predict a similar journey for Cucurella.

Chelsea are a funny and unsettled team at the moment, whereas Brighton were and still are a settled happy, very well drilled group and until Potter achieves that at Chelsea, then I think players will struggle a bit. But clearly Cucu had a stinker against City!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
:lol: it seems I’ve caused some confusion!

It was a comment slightly in jest but we do have some players who fit the mould.

I was actually thinking Sancho - which I know is not quite fair as he was selected when we signed him and has since fallen out of favour with both club and country for various reasons. AWB also came to mind. Martial is also another example, but again different.

Overall I guess my over arching point is that paying a lot for a player not selected for the NT, especially when the NT is one of the better ones, isn’t that much of an “OMG” moment.

Tarrou

i think we all just got sucked in by the amazing hair to be honest

he's a 20m player without it

Amazing Santos

Chelsea got mugged right off for this guy 60m. He would struggle even in the championship.

You'd think defenders would stop going for the Sideshow Bob look anyway by now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chelsea got mugged right off for this guy 60m. He would struggle even in the championship.

You'd think defenders would stop going for the Sideshow Bob look anyway by now.
I mean, that's not true since he played for Brighton last year in the PL and was their POTY.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
The very definition of an Emperor's New Clothes player. Constantly heard he was incredible for his whole year at Brighton but whenever you watch him play there's really nothing special there. Not a great defender and (despite often playing wing-back) not much attacking threat either. He's just sort of alright.

Amazing Santos

I mean, that's not true since he played for Brighton last year in the PL and was their POTY.
At Brighton at least he had one or two players covering for him, since he can't defend at all. But in any case if that was their player of their season the rest of the team must be dismal.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The very definition of an Emperor's New Clothes player. Constantly heard he was incredible for his whole year at Brighton but whenever you watch him play there's really nothing special there. Not a great defender and (despite often playing wing-back) not much attacking threat either. He's just sort of alright.
He was superb defensively last year and also very assured in possession but yes, bit like Malacia this year, he left a lot to be desired going forward. Certainly not a £60m player but he wouldn't have been a bad signing at all at £30m. This year I can't speak, only watched him once I think but it sounds like he's having trouble settling in and perhaps with having a slower centre half next to him. I think he'll become a decent squad player for them though in time.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s a much better player than his performances this season would suggest but not nearly so good a player as his fee would suggest.

Abraxas

I wouldn't completely write him off, he has come into a dysfunctional side with big expectations which is probably the hardest situation to come into. We should know that as United fans, it is a recurring story for us. It is very hard to integrate new players when you don't really have any working relationships in a team. It is only recently under this manager that we've got some idea of what we're doing as a side and new signings actually hit the ground running. Chelsea have looked a mess.

I don't see any definining qualities that would justify the hype and transfer fee around him, though.

crossy1686

career ending
Chelsea fans need to start giving United fans their due. We know a shit signing when we see one, we’ve got 10 years of experience. If we say it’s a disaster; more often than not it will be.