Cucurella at Chelsea

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
At Brighton at least he had one or two players covering for him, since he can't defend at all. But in any case if that was their player of their season the rest of the team must be dismal.
That's fine but your point was that he would struggle in the Championship as if he hasn't already had a very good PL season. Some players just suit certain teams.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hasn’t he mainly been playing out of position for Chelsea, I.e. LCB or LB whereas at Brighton he was mainly at LWB, which seems to suit him better - less defensive responsibilities?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t remember him at Brighton but he’s been gash whenever I’ve seen him for Chelsea. What happened to him?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He was the signing of the season for us, but has clearly had difficulty adjusting at Chelsea. I would still back him to come good though, just as I would with Potter as well. He had an awful game last night, but there is an excellent player in there.

He played behind March quite a bit last season who is good at tracking back and the CBs he played with, generally Webster and Dunk are very mobile as well, maybe more so than Thiago Silva and Koulibaly so it was rare he was ever isolated. I remember White being written off at Arsenal in his first season there and he struggled under his price tag as well, but he is generally loved at Arsenal now, I can would predict a similar journey for Cucurella.

Chelsea are a funny and unsettled team at the moment, whereas Brighton were and still are a settled happy, very well drilled group and until Potter achieves that at Chelsea, then I think players will struggle a bit. But clearly Cucu had a stinker against City!
Cheers for that.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
There’s something about footballers with the Sideshow Bob trim that always carry the bozo gene. Even if he’s having a good game, you can’t help but feel something comically stupid is about to happen. I actually thought Cucarella had a strong first half, but when City stepped it up a gear in the second, Cucarella was the first casualty.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t remember him at Brighton but he’s been gash whenever I’ve seen him for Chelsea. What happened to him?
I remember him being okay but he was never a £60m player, it was only because City were interested that Chelsea bid in the first place. He can play decent in a system but he’s no where near refined enough to boss the left flank on his own.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I remember him being okay but he was never a £60m player, it was only because City were interested that Chelsea bid in the first place. He can play decent in a system but he’s no where near refined enough to boss the left flank on his own.
That sounds about right tbf. You know if he’d gone to city he’d probably look amazing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hasn’t he mainly been playing out of position for Chelsea, I.e. LCB or LB whereas at Brighton he was mainly at LWB, which seems to suit him better - less defensive responsibilities?
He barely was used as a left wingback last year - his time was pretty much evenly split between LCB in a back 5 with Trossard as the nominal wingback in front of him or as the LB in a back 4. At Getafe he played LWB / LM much more regularly.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think he is a good player who will end up proving people wrong. I watched him look top class too many times at Brighton.

This Chelsea team are a hodge podge of 4 different managers players and have no balance whatsoever.

I think he will prove the doubters wrong.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
@GifLord can we get that touch from him that ended up in the dugouts at about 94-odd mins?

Djemba-Djemba

Oof he's really really bad.

He looked absolutely gutted when he was subbed off near the end, must be difficult to go from having a great season last year to having a nightmare one now.

AFC NimbleThumb

Thanks for bumping this.

As he was brought off last night I was going to post how truly terrible he has been for them. He can’t be this bad surely.

Blood Mage

There's no way he's this bad, just going through a really rough patch I think.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How can be someone be so out of touch with your own team ? Definitely team mates would know about any potential departures?
Not always, there's been plenty of cases over the years of players being shocked one of their team mates have been sold

KeanoMagicHat

Every so often there's a player from a mid-table team that costs a bomb that the big teams want and I've no idea how he's worth the hype and money. Cucurella is one of those. There are about 10 Cucurella-level players in every top league, so why would you spend £60 million on him. It's funny how easily Brighton improved on him as well, Estupinan is a superior player.

miked99

I don't really watch Chelsea closely enough or often enough to have a truly informed opinion on him, but from what I have seen he's been shocking. What do the Chelsea fans on here make of him?