Culture of ‘racist bullying’ at Chelsea in the 1990s

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Full article - https://theathletic.com/2771877/202...k-players-in-1990s/?source=emp_shared_article

As Daniel Taylor said, it's a very tough read

One of the black players, who is suing Chelsea for aggravated damages, says he was punched on a number of occasions by Graham Rix, formerly the club’s youth-team coach, and the victim of repeated assaults from Gwyn Williams, the director of youth development.

Rix, it is alleged, punched a youth-team footballer between the legs during a four-year ordeal that left the teenage victim, now in his forties, with post-traumatic stress disorder, according to court papers. He also struck the same player to the side of the head more than once, including one occasion while the boy was sitting on the ground, and is accused of leaving him with minor burns after pouring a scalding cup of coffee over his head.

DickDastardly

Can't say i'm eager to read that.

Hope they get all the money in the world from them.

Also, name and shame the feckers involved.
Repeatedly.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely shameful and disgusting. I'm beyond disappointed in the club for fighting against the claims. They need to take responsibility and give proper recompense to the victims to send a very clear message that this is not in any way what the club represents. So sorry for the lads who had to suffer through this vile abuse.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Rix is a scumbag of the highest order, Chelsea should be distancing themselves from the likes of him as much as possible.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Unfortunately a few of these stories have come out about Chelsea in recent years. Bad PR to fight the claims... Settle apologize and double down on training and zero tolerance

CM

Disgraceful. Hope those involved get what's coming to them

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely shameful and disgusting. I'm beyond disappointed in the club for fighting against the claims. They need to take responsibility and give proper recompense to the victims to send a very clear message that this is not in any way what the club represents. So sorry for the lads who had to suffer through this vile abuse.
Can't get my head around Chelsea supporting the perpetrator for so many years. There's the racism obviously. But even without the racism these are just young kids. You're abusing young kids and enjoying it. And no it wasn't "just a different time back then" in case anyone (not you) was thinking it.

arthurka

Chelsea not looking good here, after having admitted to this culture and apologized for it couple of years ago they are now fighting it in court. This read is absolutely shocking. These were working with kids and teenagers, brutal stuff and a terrible read.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
In March 1999, Rix was sentenced to 12 months in prison, of which he served six, for having underage sex with a 15-year-old girl.[24] He was placed on the sex offender registry for 10 years and banned by the FA from working with youth players under the age of 16. In 2013 he told The Independent that he thought she was of legal age.[25][26] On his release from prison, he immediately returned to his old job. He subsequently claimed that there were "mitigating circumstances" in the case, saying "I know the true story that I've never ever said".[26]

Mike Smalling

This would have been around the time John Terry came through their youth system, right? If so, it is sure to have added to his own messed up mentality.

Also, this bit had me confused:
Williams, whose association with Chelsea lasted 27 years in a range of roles including assistant first-team manager, accepts he used racial language but has submitted evidence to the court to say it was not intended maliciously.
What would that evidence look like exactly?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Chelsea, according to Counsell, have “entirely reversed from a public position of admission and regret at the time of the Barnardo’s report through to non-admission in the pleas and now, through witness statements, an outright denial.”
Quite disgusting by Chelsea.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't it a friend of his daughter's, so surely he had a pretty good idea how old she was. Amazing he just walked back into a job.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Given some of the fans acting in a similar fashion in Paris, to John Terry (club legend) being racist on the pitch, can you really say you're surprised this culture was alive and well in the '90s at Chelsea?

Can7onA

The most shocking thing is, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Chelsea gonna Chels.

Oranges038

12 Months...

Picked up an FA cup medal and
was made caretaker manager for a brief spell just over a year later.

Cnut should have got 20 years of being repeatedly punched between the legs.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: . All the works initiated by roman Abramovich and club against racism then again try to defend racist behaviour against black kids by former employer of the club in court.

What are they trying to do by defending those people in court.They should go away from this storm or all initiated activities against racism by club will not be taken seriously.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
:lol: . All the works initiated by roman Abramovich and club against racism then again try to defend racist behaviour against black kids by former employer of the club in court.

What are they trying to do by defending those people in court.They should go away from this storm or all initiated activities against racism by club will not be taken seriously.
They are not trying to defend the racist behaviour of anyone, where did you hear that?

mu4c_20le

Can't get my head around Chelsea supporting the perpetrator for so many years. There's the racism obviously. But even without the racism these are just young kids. You're abusing young kids and enjoying it. And no it wasn't "just a different time back then" in case anyone (not you) was thinking it.
But it sort of is, isn't it? They probably considered this to be building character or something. God knows what they would've done to gay kids if they ever came out.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Chelsea Football Club said it would stand by Rix and keep his job open.
After being convicted of having sex with an underage girl :houllier:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When you think about how much of a presence Combat 18 had in the Chelsea support back then its no shock. Everyone knew Chelsea had issues with race. Why would the inside of the club be drastically different to the outside?

Is this the same thing they were trouble for a year or two ago? Or another occurrence?

You're never surprised when it's Chelsea involved with things like this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rix sounds a real nasty piece of work dosen't he?

As said above he was convicted in 1999 of having sex with underage girl....and Chelsea then took him back as soon as he was released.:nervous:

Think Gwyn Williams was big mates with Ken Bates as he ended up at Leeds when Bates took charge there. Remember reading Neil Warnock's book when he had a short spell managing them and he said he had no idea what Williams actually did.:lol:

lysglimt

Scout
Good footballer Rix - but truly a despicable human being.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What do we think would be a realistic and suitable outcome of this court case?

I hope the victims get paid out a shitload and the people responsible get as harsh a punishment possible, but what is that?

Nobody involved even works in football anymore, I don't think.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This truly is terrible. I watched a short documentary about the first black player to play at Chelsea and the abuse he received. It was filmed recently and not only was a section named for him and a mural with his back story added, but they also talked about how some club legends names were removed from different parts of the grounds without explanation.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
This truly is terrible. I watched a short documentary about the first black player to play at Chelsea and the abuse he received. It was filmed recently and not only was a section named for him and a mural with his back story added, but they also talked about how some club legends names were removed from different parts of the grounds without explanation.
Paul Canoville. The abuse he got back then was horrific.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This would have been around the time John Terry came through their youth system, right? If so, it is sure to have added to his own messed up mentality.

Also, this bit had me confused:

What would that evidence look like exactly?
Probably something indicating that it was 'just bantzzz' by showing everybody did it back then, or some such nonsense.

TrustInOle

Disappointing from Chelsea.

I hope the victims are well compensated, even though money could never make up the horrific memories for most, recieving justice and to be believed would go along way to helping. :(