Television Curb your enthusiasm

acnumber9

Just watched the new episode. I don’t watch much of her stuff but has Lucy Liu always struggled so badly to play a human being?

decorativeed

It just dawned on me that Brooks is essentially a ready-made Funkhouser replacement.
You know he's Funkhouser's brother in real life, right? He changed his name from Einstein to Brooks for obvious reasons.

I thought the first episode was a mixed bag. Maybe I'm getting too sensitive and 'PC' as some might say, but I don't think there's much humour to be found in joking that someone with early onset dementia might forget/pretend to forget about money they owe someone. I'm finding Larry and Jeff less relatable with each series.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's gone from amazing to just easy watching now.

The arguments were always mega forced but that was part of the charm. Now everything feels forced and completely removed from how anyone would actually act in real life.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve seen episodes of this over the years of course, but I’m trying to watch from the beginning. Does it ever stop being so contrived? Like I get that’s a lot of the plot but sometimes it’s so ridiculous and the people Larry ends up getting into issues with are so OTT unreasonable that it takes me out of it.

The second episode he coincidentally meets the shoe guy on the street who is just basically a prick. Then the third ep he meets the guy on the golf course who is the only other person driving in the middle of nowhere. Seems like he always seems to bump into these specific people at the exact ‘funny’ scenario.

It’s just very far fetched. I’m not sure if it ends up being a bit less contrived as the show goes on?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve seen episodes of this over the years of course, but I’m trying to watch from the beginning. Does it ever stop being so contrived? Like I get that’s a lot of the plot but sometimes it’s so ridiculous and the people Larry ends up getting into issues with are so OTT unreasonable that it takes me out of it.

The second episode he coincidentally meets the shoe guy on the street who is just basically a prick. Then the third ep he meets the guy on the golf course who is the only other person driving in the middle of nowhere. Seems like he always seems to bump into these specific people at the exact ‘funny’ scenario.

It’s just very far fetched. I’m not sure if it ends up being a bit less contrived as the show goes on?
It gets a LOT more contrived as the show goes on. Also more slap-stick.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

The last 2 seasons are more contrived. The best seasons were 6 and 7 when nearly all of the confrontations happened organically.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It gets a LOT more contrived as the show goes on. Also more slap-stick.
Ah ok thanks. Probably not for me then. I like Larry David and I want to like the show but I just can’t get past that.

Dante

Average bang
It's the most classic (in the literal sense) sit-com you'll ever watch. The situations are the source of the comedy and David will write any old bollock to get the viewer to that point.

The show is a contrived comedy of manners. There's zero substance to it beyond that.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ah ok thanks. Probably not for me then. I like Larry David and I want to like the show but I just can’t get past that.
It might not be for you but I think the Palestinian chicken (s08e03) and The Black Swan (s07e07) episodes are worth watching as stand alone incredibly funny pieces of comedy.

decorativeed

The Klansman/Woody Harrelson episode is the best in a long time. Certainly the best of this season so far.

decorativeed

Loved the callback to Seinfeld in the latest episode, with Jay Riemenschneider running for mayor. Previously mentioned as Kramer's friend who eats horse meat!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Tracey Ullman is great. Anybody else notice the kid handing out badges in the queue looked like a young Larry, and even mentioned the 'thin pin'? My money's on him replacing Asa.

Also, "When are you gonna die?" :lol: :lol:
Love seeing Lewis.

Suv666

One of my all time favourite comedy series but last season was a bore hopefully LD can deliver this time

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Fair decision. There have been some fantastic episodes and moments but I haven't loved the latest seasons quite as much as the earlier ones. 1-4 are solid gold, the rest are mostly great but noticeably less good (no shame in that whatsoever in my book).

decorativeed

Enjoyed the latest episode and it looks like the show will bow out taking a swipe at the stupid election laws the Trumpers have brought in.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Apparently Good Morning Britain do bits now. Richard Madeley was mid-way through praising Curb when the production team started playing the theme tune in the background.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The first few seasons are so good. Off the top of my head, my favourite episode might be the one where Larry takes that prostitute to a baseball game. She should've been a recurring character!

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The first few seasons are so good. Off the top of my head, my favourite episode might be the one where Larry takes that prostitute to a baseball game. She should've been a recurring character!
Palestinian Chicken Shop is my favourite episode

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Definitely. This scene will never be surpassed: