Curtis Jones...

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Feck me. Where am I?
You literally mentioned his race out of the blue to defend his behaviour. That's playing the race card. None of us know what was said (or done) to make him do that.

And as Classical Mechanic says, he isn't even black. He's mixed race. So you've only gone and described him in the wrong way.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Erm... Where have we seen black players react like that before? Maybe wait until there's a reason given so you don't all end up looking like d*ckheads.
Should have maybe taken your own advice?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You literally mentioned his race out of the blue to defend his behaviour. That's playing the race card. None of us know what was said (or done) to make him do that.

And as Classical Mechanic says, he isn't even black. He's mixed race. So you've only gone and described him in the wrong way.
:houllier::houllier:

Mods. I'll leave this here because I already have infraction points. Up to your monitoring now.

The Mitcher

:houllier::houllier:

Mods. I'll leave this here because I already have infraction points. Up to your monitoring now.
How is what I say racist? How is what he said racist? Considering I myself am mixed race, and this is known on the board, would be very strange of me to attack someone along those lines. Trying to get the mods on me for your own mistake is not good for those infractions is it?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The Croatians' celebration got him riled up and starting a fight.
I thought it also had something to do with the Croatians calling Brewster a diver for erm diving.

The game just got a bit tetchy towards the end as there was a lot on the line.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
How is what I say racist? How is what he said racist? Considering I myself am mixed race, and this is known on the board, would be very strange of me to attack someone along those lines. Trying to get the mods on me for your own mistake is not good for those infractions is it?
This is where I hate the tribal nature of football fans. Yes he’s a Liverpool player and so his reaction will be mocked on a United forum. Funnily enough social media has lapped it up as passion from an England player. Not that I care personally but would it hurt to wait for the details before making that kind of comment. We’ve seen numerous examples recently of players acting in a similar way after having just suffered racial basis. The fact he’s only half black doesn’t preclude him from being subjected to racist abuse.

It could be much ado about nothing and might simply be a case of a young player getting riled up which happens. But given recent events wouldn’t it be better to wait to see what actually happened?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This is where I hate the tribal nature of football fans. Yes he’s a Liverpool player and so his reaction will be mocked on a United forum. Funnily enough social media has lapped it up as passion from an England player. Not that I care personally but would it hurt to wait for the details before making that kind of comment. We’ve seen numerous examples recently of players acting in a similar way after having just suffered racial basis. The fact he’s only half black doesn’t preclude him from being subjected to racist abuse.

It could be much ado about nothing and might simply be a case of a young player getting riled up which happens. But given recent events wouldn’t it be better to wait to see what actually happened?
It really is ironic that you would say that, because it's literally the only two Liverpool fans in this discussion, you and @Dumbstar, who just come and insinuate without any shred of substance, and without waiting for any kind of information, that a racist incident might have taken place.
If you'd waited 10 minutes to read the England U21 manager's post match comments, you'd notice that he denies that was the case, which is the first information we have on this.

You should be, a little, ashamed of yourself for eagerly weaponizing such a serious issue just because someone says something unflattering about your player on an online forum, honestly.

Mainoldo

It really is ironic that you would say that, because it's literally the only two Liverpool fans in this discussion, you and @Dumbstar, who just come and insinuate without any shred of substance, and without waiting for any kind of information, that a racist incident might have taken place.
If you'd waited 10 minutes to read the England U21 manager's post match comments, you'd notice that he denies that was the case, which is the first information we have on this.

You should be, a little, ashamed of yourself for eagerly weaponizing such a serious issue just because someone says something unflattering about your player on an online forum, honestly.
I don’t think they are playing the race card I think they are playing the wait to hear what it is actually all about card. Which makes perfect sense!!

But eitherway I hope they finally get rid of that useless manager.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don’t think they are playing the race card I think they are playing the wait to hear what it is actually all about card. Which makes perfect sense!!

"playing the race card" is not an expression I have used, as I don't like it.

However, clearly, they are the ones who should have waited before conjuring up the specter of a racist incident. They didn't because they couldn't stand that a Liverpool player acted ridiculously and got ridiculed for it.

Then they go and tell everyone else to wait for the facts and be less tribalist :lol:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

What a ridiculous comment. We have seen far too many instances of things like this happening and it later being revealed to be a racist incident. I qualified my post by stating that it could very well just as likely be that it was a young player riled up in the heat of the moment.

I don’t under any circumstances believe waiting for information regarding that is a stance that shouldn’t be taken. Which is all that I stated. The poster I replied to said “playing the race card” which is a completely inappropriate thing to say. Also I hadn’t seen the post match interview.

I am glad nothing else had taken place, but in this current climate I’m always going to wait to hear what’s actually happened which at that point I did not know.
I would appreciate in future if you didn’t accuse me of weaponising an important world issue especially since that’s the furthest thing from the truth to what I did. I would never use an issue like that over something as comparatively trivial as football.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I thought it also had something to do with the Croatians calling Brewster a diver for erm diving.

The game just got a bit tetchy towards the end as there was a lot on the line.
No doubt it was a tough one to take, that knockout punch in added time.

AKDevil

Looked like standard thing you see in football anymore ... lose a big game and you get annoyed by celebrations. Looked like. May turn out to be worse.

The Mitcher

My whole point directed at Dumbstar was that we do not know what happened. He's the one who brought that up to defend Jones' actions, which to most of us on here, looked mental.

Bertie Wooster

This is an online forum, where people comment on games / incidents as they occur and from what we see / know at the time. Should fresh information come out, people will comment on that and maybe change their opinion, etc. Why can't people comment on the Jones incident in that same way?

It's a perfectly legitimate assumption, whether it proves right or wrong, that Jones' reaction was textbook 'player pissed off at getting knocked out in last minute and reacting badly to it'. Just because he's black doesn't mean he's exempt from that failing. Black players commit fouls, react to fouls, react negatively to last minute defeats, etc, just like white players do. Why shouldn't that be a person's take on it just like it would have been had it been a white player?

If it later transpires to be something else, then of course people should change their opinion on the incident. But forming an opinion based on available footage is perfectly valid thing to do and is done on all the match day threads.

The Mitcher

This is an online forum, where people comment on games / incidents as they occur and from what we see / know at the time. Should fresh information come out, people will comment on that and maybe change their opinion, etc. Why can't people comment on the Jones incident in that same way?

It's a perfectly legitimate assumption, whether it proves right or wrong, that Jones' reaction was textbook 'player pissed off at getting knocked out in last minute and reacting badly to it'. Just because he's black doesn't mean he's exempt from that failing. Black players commit fouls, react to fouls, react negatively to last minute defeats, etc, just like white players do. Why shouldn't that be a person's take on it just like it would have been had it been a white player?

If it later transpires to be something else, then of course people should change their opinion on the incident. But forming an opinion based on available footage is perfectly valid thing to do and is done on all the match day threads.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...nd-21s-clash-Croatia-U21s-following-spat.html

I could argue that he went in to fight them because he suddenly hallucinated that they were evil apparitions coming to attack him, that's a "legitimate" assumption. It's liverpool fans (LIVERPOOL FANS) using what is supposed to be a serious matter to defend the stupid actions of a man who lost his temper after a game and tried to start a fight. Not only was their accusations incredibly irresponsible, especially as they were wrong, but any one of those Croatian players could have been on the recieving end of a social media backlash based on hearsay. I think it's pretty telling of todays society that this issue can be used to defend something as petty as someone losing his cool and engaging in handbags. What's more, maybe Liverpool fans should get their own house in order before accusing others of racism.

Irrational.

Massively overrated. He'll end up at a minnow club like Bournemouth for £35-40 million within the next 2-3 seasons.

Quote me.

Oldyella

He's fecking awful. The players he has at his disposal..

izec

They'd be out in the next round anyway. Just not good enough and not worth it, where was the fight in the 2 prior games.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Every time I’ve watched them he stands out.

I’m sure he’s being raved about on scouse sites in the same way Kobbie has United boards hopeful that they have a superstar in their midst.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm not sure how to compare him to other players but I think most top clubs/managers have those of his ilk in that he's a very good squad player for Klopp and Liverpool. I can't ever see him becoming a first team regular for them or another top club but for Klopp he has a vital role as a squad player and always does that job exemplary. Once Klopp leaves I can see him becoming one of those that ends up leaving down the line.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but he's growing into a very good player. He does all the midfield things really well.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure how to compare him to other players but I think most top clubs/managers have those of his ilk in that he's a very good squad player for Klopp and Liverpool. I can't ever see him becoming a first team regular for them or another top club but for Klopp he has a vital role as a squad player and always does that job exemplary. Once Klopp leaves I can see him becoming one of those that ends up leaving down the line.
I think think he can grow into a player in the Wijnaldum mould. Gini was perfectly underrated for a long time.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He has recently been rather strangely linked to Arsenal by a few supposed itk, a player apparently Arteta really likes.

Can't see him leaving Liverpool though, he's scouse born & bred is he not? He'd need to have fallen way down the pecking order for him to want to leave if that was the case.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'll admit I had written him off, but he seems to finally have found his way in a Klopp midfield. Bit funny that him and Endo have probably been our two best midfielders this season.

Will likely never be a superstar but definately a useful part of the squad.