Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's over 30 years old but definitely worth a read. It's probably the biggest novel in the genre and there are definitely elements that influence the game and the whole cyberpunk theme.
It's a great book, I love it, but be aware of its context. A lot of things in it are well-worn tropes now - just remember that this was the first :)
Cheers. My brother recommended it to me a while back and said its abit hard to get your head around at first ,especially for me as I tend to find Science fiction quite difficult to read at times.

Certainly prefer more grounded world fiction or factual books but I will give this a go.

Eriku

Took a 50 min break while 1.04 was downloading. On my PS4 Pro I feel the difference right away. Menus are more responsive, picture is clearer, framerate is better. Gonna get balls deep into this again now :drool:

Siorac

Took a 50 min break while 1.04 was downloading. On my PS4 Pro I feel the difference right away. Menus are more responsive, picture is clearer, framerate is better. Gonna get balls deep into this again now :drool:
OK so I wasn't imagining the menu responsiveness. Feared it was a placebo effect.

Eriku

OK so I wasn't imagining the menu responsiveness. Feared it was a placebo effect.
Yeah, the menu lag grated on me, so that was super noticeable for me. This patch was sorely needed. Kinda wish I had the patience to wait for it to be patched for another month or so. Or better still, I get a PS5.

Balljy

This is the main thing for me. This game makes me feel like I'm in Neuromancer, like I'm Case, planning the big run with Molly.

This part they did nail. Shame about the technical quality.
Yeah, I agree. kind of wish the game had been based around the story because it's so obviously influenced by it. It's made me want to go through all the novels again.

Are you playing on console? If you are you won't be disappointed by the PS5 / XBOX upgrade next year as long as you're on the new consoles. It's amazing on RTX based PC and that's what will hopefully be coming to the next gen consoles.

Irwin99

A big patch downloading on my PS4...will play Dark Souls until it installs.

Can you imagine if this game had been released on it's intended date around April with RE3 and FF7?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Can’t wait to see console reviews. We will see who the shills are in the gaming media. No way any reputable gaming media reviewer can score this above 7 when it looks and plays like that.

I would be surprised if it scores over 5 if they playing on the base PS4.
Are they not already out?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

I have a particular interest in watching glitch videos, especially open world ones.

Kaos

Part of me thinks the huge backlash they got for the initial delays was what forced their hand into releasing it in this state. I mean it was their fault for setting unrealistic release dates to begin with (whatever happened to 'Release date - when its ready' on their original trailer?).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Part of me thinks the huge backlash they got for the initial delays was what forced their hand into releasing it in this state. I mean it was their fault for setting unrealistic release dates to begin with (whatever happened to 'Release date - when its ready' on their original trailer?).
Nah, I dont buy it. They could've set the release date early into next year and consumer's would've been ok with that aslong as the product was worth it. Sure there would naturally be grumbles, criticism and a whole load of memes (not the memes!) but deep down even they would want to experience the best game CDPR had to offer.

I just think this was the best product they had to present for PS4/XBOXOne.
Just unfortunate for them that the product they've released is absolute trash and I dont expect a great deal of patch work is going to save it.
This is what it is on those models.

justboy68

Apparently the latest patch improved things a lot for ps4 owners. Hopefully if they keep patching it at this rate it will be properly playable soon enough.

I've definitely been one of the lucky ones on PC. I've had one or two graphical glitches where a popup tool tip wouldn't leave the screen (easily fixed by a 10 second reload) and some menu areas are cut off in ultrawide but otherwise its ran like a dream. I wonder if the NVME drive is really helping out, getting things to load properly and on time.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Glad I decided to wait on this one til the proper next gen patches are out, I'll probably even wait longer to see how they pan out before buying.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I feel like the approach The Pickup where you can choose to meet with Meredith or not is quite poorly explained. I’ve no idea what I’m doing so I’m just doing what it tells me, when I think in reality I have quite a bit of choice here.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Another choice. No idea what to do. Impossible to decide who I like less out of Militech and Maelstrom.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Gotta disagree on that one. I think the world is great so far. I’ve not seen a futuristic neon urban jungle done to this extent before, but maybe I’ve just not played the right games. I just hope it doesn’t start to feel shallow and samey. Too early to tell if it will yet.
But from what I can tell there is zero interaction or immersion.

I can't play an arcade machine, use the vending machine, buy from the food cart, play pool, have a drink at a bar, play mini games/sports. When you first get out the apartment one of the first things you come across is a boxing ring and fighters. Why can't I get in the ring and fight? There was even a trainee bot stood there but I couldn't respond. Can't even get a haircut.

NPCs do absolutely nothing and react without considering context.

Police just spawn next to you and multiply, they don't track your position or respond to you

If you stand in the middle of the road cars just sit there and watch.. what's that about?

Maybe I just haven't come across this stuff yet but it feels so shallow

And cars aren't fun at all and handle terribly, making exploring really tough to enjoy

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

I can't play an arcade machine, use the vending machine, buy from the food cart, play pool, have a drink at a bar, play mini games/sports. When you first get out the apartment one of the first things you come across is a boxing ring and fighters. Why can't I get in the ring and fight? There was even a trainee bot stood there but I couldn't respond. Can't even get a haircut.

Police just spawn next to you and multiply, they don't track your position or respond to you

If you stand in the middle of the road cars just sit there and watch.. what's that about?

And cars aren't fun at all and handle terribly, making exploring really tough to enjoy
That's crazy. You could do literally everything mentioned there in GTA: San Andreas. That game is 16 years old.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Don't know if it has been mentioned but GOG are selling the game for £19 if you use a Russian vpn. It's pre-load too.
Got mine today.
Alright mate! How's things?

Irwin99

Thought his whole event in the car was pretty well done. The question of where to take him...I sent him to his family :(

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

You can deffo use vending machines. There’s even one in your apartment as well. You can buy food too from some shops. I went in to one and gave the guy some shit about his dodgy food before buying some. The boxing you do at different spots around the city after talking to that guy.

I agree it could certainly be better mind. They’ve definitely not pushed any boundaries in this regard.

The lack of tattoo and hair changes is frankly baffling. Have to assume this will come in an update. I swear I read car customisation was meant to be in too, so hopefully that will come. I don’t mind the feel of them, in fact it’s better than I expected. Agree it isn’t very fun to drive though.

One thing I’d really like is the ability to upgrade/change things in your apartment. I always like the idea of doing some less intense side stuff and then seeing the fruits of your labour in your base.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's looking good on my base PS4. Either that's because I'm still in the opening acts or due to the 1.0 patch? I did turn off the grain filter as I never like it in any game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
By the way @Alock1 there’s also loads of side missions that don’t show in your journal. They’re on the map. Just found a guy who got a dick mod and it’s wrong awry.

caid

It's looking good on my base PS4. Either that's because I'm still in the opening acts or due to the 1.0 patch? I did turn off the grain filter as I never like it in any game.
Film grain is bugged apparently on ps4 so that probably helps.

caid

Thought his whole event in the car was pretty well done. The question of where to take him...I sent him to his family :(
Sent him to Vik, figured he could clean him up a bit before sending him home. Returned to vik a bit after and apparently arasaka robbed his body while i was unconscious

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Any timeframe on the Xbox One patch? Had another crash to dashboard earlier but I’m enjoying the game so it’s a bit frustrating.

What’s the general opinion on the minimap? Feels like it needs to be zoomed out a bit whilst driving, otherwise turns come up too quickly.

Shark

@NotShark
That's crazy. You could do literally everything mentioned there in GTA: San Andreas. That game is 16 years old.
Did anyone actually spend much time doing that stuff though? At the end of the day this is an RPG, not GTA. TW3 didn't have haircuts at the beginning, maybe they'll patch it in. The game is far from perfect but it seems there's a sizeable portion of people that invented in their heads how the game will play out, instead of taking it for what it is. It was never going to play anything like GTA.

Last edited:

justboy68

Did anyone actually spend much time doing that stuff though? At the end of the day this is an RPG, not GTA. TW3 didn't have haircuts at the beginning, maybe they'll patch it in. The game is far from perfect but it seems there's a sizeable portion of people that invented in their heads how the game will play out, instead of taking it for what it is. It was never going to play anything like GTA.
Definitely. I don't know why people need to keep going on about GTA. Rockstar is phenomenal at what they do and they are pretty much the best of the best and have been for years. CDPR is pretty great at other things, but they don't have the same kind of pedigree yet. I feel like those who saw this as a spiritual successor to Deus Ex are very satisfied and those who expectd a next-gen GTA like experience are let down. Deus Ex is one of my favourite games ever and I feel like I've been waiting for this game for decades. It's probably not reaching the heights of Witcher 3 but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Edit: The cyberpunk subreddit is an actual shitshow right now. Avoid at all costs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely. I don't know why people need to keep going on about GTA. Rockstar is phenomenal at what they do and they are pretty much the best of the best and have been for years. CDPR is pretty great at other things, but they don't have the same kind of pedigree yet. I feel like those who saw this as a spiritual successor to Deus Ex are very satisfied and those who expectd a next-gen GTA like experience are let down. Deus Ex is one of my favourite games ever and I feel like I've been waiting for this game for decades. It's probably not reaching the heights of Witcher 3 but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

Edit: The cyberpunk subreddit is an actual shitshow right now. Avoid at all costs.
Played an hour or so this morning and really loved it.

This bolded sums up how I feel going into this. I've liked a few GTAs but Deus Ex was on a different level for me. I've never been that impacted by a game ever. The only other game I consider in the same bracket is Witcher 3 funnily enough. So, yeah, I didn't want another GTA. My love for that series has waned over the years and another Deus Ex esque experience (but more near the level of the original - hard to ever match - rather than the sequels) is what I've wanted for years.

Bebe

I couldn't care less about any of this personally. Always felt these little minigames in GTAs were there to distract from how boring and awkward feeling the main gameplay and combat feels in those games. The lack of NPC behaviour more of a mark against the game for me, it's definitely shallow. Night City feels alive through its visuals and sounds, but definitely not as a result of its NPCs.

Castia

Interested to try this again today after yesterday’s patch I read there’s some good improvement.

Im actually getting into the game, played for 3-4 hours and I’m starting to enjoy it. I’ve had zero issues yet on ps5 outside of the graphics looking like shit.

AaronRedDevil

What's the point of character customisation if you can't see your character. It makes all those choices completely pointless. The Least they could have done, was do it like witcher where your character shows up in the dialogue parts. You only see character for 5 seconds at the start and that's it for the rest of the game.