Daily Mail

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You obviously haven’t read the comments.
And if you choose the best rated ones the worst comments are even easier to find.

Knowing The Mail I'm 100% sure they knew that their readership loves a nice bit of racist dogwhistling.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s dog whistling. Leading to comments such as:
Dog whistling? I’m not sure I understand this. Does that mean we shouldn’t show pictures of the past because o a stupid few who would see it as a chance to moan about the present? Or have I got the meaning of dog whistling wrong?
Genuine question, not snarky

edit: and I also thought they were cool pictures, London looked amazing, straight out of a movie

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Does that mean we shouldn’t show pictures of the past because o a stupid few who would see it as a chance to moan about the present?
It's not a stupid few, though. It's close to 90% of their readership. To me it seems like you're forgetting or ignoring that it's the DM.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Dog whistling? I’m not sure I understand this. Does that mean we shouldn’t show pictures of the past because o a stupid few who would see it as a chance to moan about the present? Or have I got the meaning of dog whistling wrong?
Genuine question, not snarky

edit: and I also thought they were cool pictures, London looked amazing, straight out of a movie
Yea as said above it’s down to it being the DM. That’s what dog whistling is, in isolation and without context it can look innocent enough but with their readership and comments section we pretty much know exactly what they were thinking when they published it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That (supposed) quote about benefit cheats applies more to the government: 'fraudulent', 'ripping off the country'.

SteveJ

Scout
I only read Page 3 for the articles.

SteveJ

Scout
Not really sure why the top right quote is included with the others.
In a sense, the political slant in the quotes doesn't matter - it's the sly use of propaganda in an entirely unrelated context that rankles.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
In a sense, the political slant in the quotes doesn't matter - it's the sly use of propaganda in an entirely unrelated context that rankles.
Well yeah it’s a bit out of place, but then so was tits in a ‘serious newspaper’ in the first place.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is benefit fraud a good thing?
Its classic right wing media misrepresentation that leads to all benefit claimants being tarred with the “scrounger” brush.

It’s exactly the same as the way immigration is generally represented as all people coming into the country are doing so for free housing and welfare at the taxpayers expense which couldn’t be further from the truth.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Its classic right wing media misrepresentation that leads to all benefit claimants being tarred with the “scrounger” brush.

It’s exactly the same as the way immigration is generally represented as all people coming into the country are doing so for free housing and welfare at the taxpayers expense which couldn’t be further from the truth.
I dunno, I didn’t get that from it. It said benefit fraud specifically, and as a statement I would agree with it. I just thought it sounded much tamer than the other 3 statements on the tweet, the first of which is a good example of what you said in your second paragraph. They know exactly what they’re doing when they use words like ‘swarming’ or whatever to describe immigration, so I take your point about what publications like The Sun and The Mail do, I just didn’t think it was all that present in the statement in question.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I dunno, I didn’t get that from it. It said benefit fraud specifically, and as a statement I would agree with it. I just thought it sounded much tamer than the other 3 statements on the tweet, the first of which is a good example of what you said in your second paragraph. They know exactly what they’re doing when they use words like ‘swarming’ or whatever to describe immigration, so I take your point about what publications like The Sun and The Mail do, I just didn’t think it was all that present in the statement in question.
It's a classic conservative trick. Make people believe the system is failing. YOUR taxpayer money is being WASTED. We need to REFORM it!

And suprise, surprise somehow that reform isn't just about gettin rid of rotten apples, it ends up cutting benefits across the board.

Zlatattack

In other news the Pope is Catholic.
They run this one every year. The replies on their twitter feed are hilarious. People owning the DM.

From an islamic prospective though, some of the stuff shown in the pictures is incorrect.

For example, you can see live animals at the scene where other dead animals are. This is against the conditions for halal sacrifice. Also you see a lot of dumbass attempts to tackle animals, causing them distress. Unfortunately at this time of year there is a shortage of trained butchers/slaughterers, so cowboys and amatuers advertise their services, hoping to make a quick buck.

On top of all that, a lot of people are filthy pigs in general. Look at the areas where these animals are being sacrificed. Streets, courtyards - it's going to spread disease. I can't say for other countries, but in urban Pakistan the mess in some neighbourhoods after this festival is a disgrace. This is all down to bad governance.

I've seen the sacrifices done in our village and they do it away from other animals, they wash away the blood and bury the insides etc. They don't want to attract wild animals and stuff like that.

Last edited: