Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Quality pass that. There will come times where he will be dominated physically or out paced, but when it comes to breaking down defences his ability on the ball is priceless.

thejtrain

It's not surprising any more. He's more than capable of playing such quality balls every game. Too good a passer to be a CB.

Devil may care

Games like these are where we see the benefit of him at the back, in truth he was our best CM today.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
When Blind went down injured I had my heart in my mouth. Very pleased to see him walk it off. He has matured into the Rijkaard role in a way I never ever expected. The way Blind plays the ball out from the back is crucial to so much of what we do going forward. Long may it continue.

Godfather

It's not surprising any more. He's more than capable of playing such quality balls every game. Too good a passer to be a CB.
Not at all. Having someone play those balls from the CB position where he will get every time on the ball he likes looks brilliant to me.

Sigma

Being sarcastic, that's what got spread about him so often while he is a key player for us. He can be a key player for us at every position except ST, RW, and GK, the guy would even do a job for you on left wing.
ah ok :lol:

hard to tell sarcasm online.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Him at cb adds a whole new dimension to our game. Excellent player.

Kag

I love Blind. He's asked to do a job here and he does it with little to no fuss. For the reported fee, he's been a fantastic acquisition.

Ifs and buts tend to take you on a road to nowhere, but with more pace and power I think he'd be a phenomenal footballer in multiple positions. In spite of a small build, he manages his game very intelligently.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Quality player and a fantastic signing.

He is really coming into his own right now; that 2 games on the trot he has played defence splitting passes that have led to a goal. Add to that his fantastic positional sense and a genuine understanding emerging with Smalling and De Gea.

He is the surprise player of the season so far.

Geordopolous

Lvg has just got it absolutely spot on putting him at centre back. He is absolutely crucial to our play now and he has silenced a lot of people

Scarecrow

Having a week off
People keep acting as if he's the shortest CB in the world and it's a miracle (and a matter of time) that no forward has taken advantage of that yet. At 1.80 (5'11) he's comfortably taller than Cannavaro, Baresi, Moore, Puyol and as tall as Beckenbauer and Koeman. He might be a bit smaller than the average for a CB but it's definitely not as much as people make it out to be. He can still be a fantastic CB.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
That's why we have a right/left foot combo at the back

Lordyfw

Supports
AFC Ajax
Could someone please upload a gif of that pass.. I just can't stop thinking about it. What a beauty that was!! O.o

Akshay

Staff
I think its because he is playing at CB he has the space to play the balls that he does since there really is no-one marking him.
This. It's working great for us because if the opposition try to close him down more its just going to open up more space for the likes of Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Mata. I'm really digging his role in the team.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
People keep acting as if he's the shortest CB in the world and it's a miracle (and a matter of time) that no forward has taken advantage of that yet. At 1.80 (5'11) he's comfortably taller than Cannavaro, Baresi, Moore, Puyol and as tall as Beckenbauer and Koeman. He might be a bit smaller than the average for a CB but it's definitely not as much as people make it out to be. He can still be a fantastic CB.
That's a fair point. He is above average height but I guess small for the position.
Do Fifa ban massive heels in boots to add an inch or two? Maybe he could walk on tip-toes like @ItsEssexRob

SirAF

Ageist
Fantastic pass from the back, again! It just highlights what an asset it can be to have him at CB. How many other CB's can play those kind of passes consistently?

Sam

Had a fantastic game, that pass for the first goal was sublime.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We just have to keep ensuring we protect him and the back line (avoiding games like the Swansea one). I don't want to find out if he can defend. His balls from the back give us something different and we probably didn't have that kinda quality with Rio and Vidic in the back line. He's playing some good searching balls forward at the minute.

Jerch

Being sarcastic, that's what got spread about him so often while he is a key player for us. He can be a key player for us at every position except ST, RW, and GK, the guy would even do a job for you on left wing.
Probably not a bad job since he can cross the ball like no one can in our squad.

Great player who silenced a lot of critics.

NoPace

In these types of games he's exactly what you want at the back when you know you'll have the ball.
And we should play about 18-20 a year of these at home including CL and cups. That's a third of the season.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
with our high possession football it's definitely not a gamble with him as a CB, and he contributes to our attack with sublime passes like today. I'm convinced we're not as desperate for a new CB like we were last season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Blind's is turning into the complete ball playing centre back a la Maldini or Rio.

His first touch is fantastic and he has the vision and ability to complete fantastic counterattacking passes. His positioning and anticipation whilst defending also makes up for his slight lack of physicality. And he is proud and loves playing for Manchester United.

Blind possesses all the ingredients for a distinguished career in the heart of our defence and has become my favourite player in the squad along with Martial.

Last edited:

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It's basically cheating to have a centreback who can play passes like that.
It's brilliant when it works. We're finally starting to see the pieces of the philosophy fall into place, and provide results more frequently. Blind is really confident on the ball, passes with precision, and has turned out be a great asset as a defender as well. I really like him at center back, he's made his manager look pretty smart.

Sylar

I remember seeing our first pre-season games when Blind was pushed into CB and he had a shocker (think it was next to Jones). He managed to play better throughout the tour but it still made no sense why we were doing that.

If you didnt know where he played and he was bought this season, Id look at it and think Blind was a CB and an almost perfect partner to lead with Smalling. His height might be an issue at times but his positional play at CB is great.

With the way United play, it means hes never exposed and you can tell he leads the back well. Plus when hes on the ball he can make himself into an additional midfielder in tight games like today.

Status
Not open for further replies.