Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Interesting to see what his role will be next season. Don't think he'll ever step near CB again with Mourinho as manager. Backup LB and backup DM, for me.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Been our best centre back and by far my favourite player for us this season. I'm confident that no matter what happens next season he will be in the team somewhere he is too good to leave out. The only thing he is lacking in is pace but many players have made excellent careers without having a lot of pace.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He could do well as the deep lying playmaker under Mourinho but I think Jose will approach him with his mind already made up, like he did with Mata.

Vilev

I think Mourinho might use him, he loves versatile players and Blind as versatile as it gets. Even if he will not play as much, he is definitely a player one would want in the team.
I think Mournho might return Blind to midfield which is most welcome, since while he did good job at defence overall this year, he is simply not a CB.

Bwuk

I think Blind will continue as a CB, and we will sign a partner for him. Smalling will be the one benched.

Mourinho was fuming before about how many touches it took for Matic to control a ball, Smalling is far worse than that.

We will build a solid base in front the defence (i.e. two defensive midfielders + Rooney), and Blind will continue as someone who can start attacks from deep.

Minimalist

He was naff again yesterday. Stupid moment that should have cost us a goal, countless times he wandered off out of position and someone else had to cover. Bafflingly large number of times he got sucked into challlenging for a ball with Wickham despite having zero chance of winning it. Can someone explain what it is he actually did well?

One thing that's really started to annoy me with him is when he picks up the ball, strolls slowly about 40 yards out of position with it, then just plays a hospital pass to someone next to him. Please can someone explain to me as well what goes through his head for him to think this isn't a stupid thing to do?...because he does it multiple times a game and it achieves nothing aside from allowing the opposition to counter attack.

If he had any functioning braincells he'd actually be a really useful player...but he just chases the ball with no regard for the situation or anything else that's going on, and when he has the ball he seems to completely forget what position he's playing in and often either plays a hosptial pass or just lofts it up the pitch to no one. One of his strengths is supposedly his distribution yet he must be among the worst in our team for using the ball poorly or taking too long with it.

I know people on here like him but if I was manager the very first thing I'd do is make sure he wasn't played at centreback anymore, under pretty much any circumstance. There's definitely another case of the Kagawa/Mata effect on here where people will just invent another version of reality so they can pretend he played well. If you take him out of the team and put a competent centreback in his place this season, we'd be comfortably in the top four, and would have gotten through the CL group stages.

People that come out with crap like "He's been our best centreback this year" I dunno. They either say it because they have no idea how a game of football works, or because they think saying it makes them sound clever and like they know more about football than anyone else...probably the same people who used to keep tellling us all LVG was a tactical genius who could not be questioned.
We're so happy you're hear to educate us.

Born2Lose

I think Blind will continue as a CB, and we will sign a partner for him. Smalling will be the one benched.

Mourinho was fuming before about how many touches it took for Matic to control a ball, Smalling is far worse than that.

We will build a solid base in front the defence (i.e. two defensive midfielders + Rooney), and Blind will continue as someone who can start attacks from deep.
I've a funny feeling Mourinho won't fancy either at centerback, Smalling is far too dopey to be depended on and Blind's positioning is very suspect at times.

lem8sh

Absolutely no chance. Agree on the Smalling part though, his technical deficiencies will astound Mourinho and I expect him to be replaced eventually.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The only thing he is lacking in is pace but many players have made excellent careers without having a lot of pace.
He also loses more than a half of his aerial duels (which is a disastrous stat, really - especially for a centre back)

Dec9003

He also loses more than a half of his aerial duels (which is a disastrous stat, really - especially for a centre back)
I can't remember ever conceding a header because Blind lost a header.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure Mourinho will fancy him as a CB or a LB, he might get a stint in the CDM position though. I wonder if this year as a CB will help him in the future, he's certainly become tougher than he was the first year.

Perhaps it might be worth selling him to Barcelona instead, he would do a brilliant job in spain.

harms

Staff
Well, then I fear for your memory.
The third West Ham goal is a header with Blind losing the aerial duel. And the second one, while not technically being a lost header, because he didn't jump, is still partly his fault - he was on the way of the cross and should've cleared it (or, at least, make an attempt), which he didn't because he lacks in this particular department.

Dec9003

Well, then I fear for your memory.
The third West Ham goal is a header with Blind losing the aerial duel. And the second one, while not technically being a lost header, because he didn't jump, is still partly his fault - he was on the way of the cross and should've cleared it (or, at least, make an attempt), which he didn't because he lacks in this particular department.
That was more down to shocking organisation than anything else. Nobody in the defence knew what their jobs were and it showed.
The fact that people can only point to one match also suggests he's a Much better centre back than people think on here.

harms

Staff
The fact that people can only point to one match also suggests he's a Much better centre back than people think on here.
That's not the only one, that's the last one. I won't bother looking further back though, you'll just change your statement again

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Daley Blind was superb this season (I've argued before that he was at least equal to Martial for me as our best outfield player).

If Jose dumps him into bench fodder it will be a big loss for our first team. He's a wonderful footballer and comfortably our most underrated player.

Dec9003

That's not the only one, that's the last one. I won't bother looking further back though, you'll just change your statement again
When did I change my statement. I think Blind is a really good centre back and is better in the air than he's made out. There's no need to start accusing me of changing anything because I disagree with you mate

jesperjaap

I must be missing something about Blind reading these comments? I would keep him as he is versatile, but very much a jack of all trades master of none for me. And our best player and keep him at centre back? I am baffled, for me he is an average centre back with no pace, that cant defend crosses, flick ons or through balls.
So many of the goals we have conceded this season it is Blind that is the marker of the goal scorer. Smalling has at last showed signs of being a proper centre back this season forgetting the last 6 weeks where he has been awful, but no way I would bench him for Blind, what is the point of a ball playing centre back that cant actually defend?.....Ok Ronald Koeman wasnt bad :)

Riz

Could he maybe be the Carrick replacement we're crying out for. I say give him a crack at pulling the strings from deep and surround him with energy such as:

Schneiderlin - Herrera
Blind
Alas, it leaves no room for Rooney. Still I'd like to see it.

Fer

Could he maybe be the Carrick replacement we're crying out for. I say give him a crack at pulling the strings from deep and surround him with energy such as:

Schneiderlin - Herrera
Blind
Alas, it leaves no room for Rooney. Still I'd like to see it.
I think we should have played with that midfield, it looks balanced. I can see Mourinho buying one midfielder.

Do you think Mourinho is going to play 433 instead of 4231?

criticalanalysis

Absolutely no chance. Agree on the Smalling part though, his technical deficiencies will astound Mourinho and I expect him to be replaced eventually.
The crazy thing is we've seen Smalling run effortlessly from deep, glide past several players then pass to no one/make a shit pass and on other occasions, have the absolute skill/balls to take a high ball from the air, whilst under pressure with a first touch and proceed forward like he meant it (and he definitely did).

It's about confidence and mentality. Will he be trusted to pass out from the back and do Lucio/Silva-esque dribbles from deep? Will he be trusted or trust himself to always make the right decisions?

Ultimately no imo but he can definitely improve on it.

Riz

I think we should have played with that midfield, it looks balanced. I can see Mourinho buying one midfielder.

Do you think Mourinho is going to play 433 instead of 4231?
Actually think our squad is more geared for 433 but no I expect 4231 meaning a new number 10 is probably on the cards.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Relax about the @noodlehair post, just to put it into perspective for you, he's also said Blind isn't a very good passer. Shows how seriously you can take his posts about DB, for some reason he's desperate for him to fail.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think of all our regulars this season, Blind along with Lingard will suffer the most(in terms of no. of minutes hey get), more than Mata I feel. In Lingard's case it is obvious- he is not that great to be a regular. In Blind's case- its simply that he has bad days too often. Although, Should Smalling continue his 2016 form, he may be able to push him out of the side if the CB we buy is a physical beast

Perrick Dubois

Interesting to see what his role will be next season. Don't think he'll ever step near CB again with Mourinho as manager. Backup LB and backup DM, for me.
Thinking somewhere a little outside the box, I'd like to see him as a pressing player playing between AM and DM. Winning the ball around the middle of the park and quickly getting it forward. He has a good engine and he loves chasing the ball, I don't really want him playing in an anchor role mainly because of this. He gets a lot more protection from that position from having two CB's behind him. (This season he's been out of position loads of time and had licence to be miles out of position constantly which has triggered me out of existence all season.) Playing CB he's gone ball chasing or wandering off into no mans land in and around the box a few times and it has really cost us.

I think he could be a similar player to Herrera, but on the offensive end I think Herrera has more in his locker. Blind on the defensive and pressing end, more in his.

I see you haven't changed from when you said this a month ago. We shall see, in my personal opinion you'd have to be laying firmly in the chaise lounge to want to pursue Blind at CB next season.

edit: I suppose he won that header but a proper commanding CB heads that out onto the 14th green of the Sinfin Golf course. Though above, rightfully pointed out his horrifying display in the West Ham game.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If Jose dumps him into bench fodder it will be a big loss for our first team. He's a wonderful footballer and comfortably our most underrated player.
I wouldn't see it as fodder, I'd see it as having someone useful on the bench, which is something we've massively lacked for years and need to improve (this would happen naturally if we improve certain positions and push those existing players on to the bench). There's a lot of positions we can improve and Blind plays in two of those (CB and midfield). We can get better than him in both those positions, but he'd be excellent cover to change things up or if someone gets injured/needs resting.

JON.B

Sloop
Is he not the most obvious replacement for Carrrick in midfield? Intelligent, good awareness, strong passer and seems to read the game very well. Surely playing just in front of the back four would be his optimal role in the team. Why persist with a 35 year old who's best days are well and truly behind him when we have someone who can fill the same role.

grahamo

Blind has a good first touch and reads the game very well. This makes up for the lack of pace but he isn't a Mourinho player. He's certainly not a centre back. I think he'll stay as long as he's happy being a squad player

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hopefully we buy a proper CB now, no more of these silly experiments playing players out of position. He can stay as a backup/rotation CM/LB.

Bojan11

Mourinho has been quoted saying he likes 5 players over 6 foot or else you dead on set pieces.

I'm glad the experiment is over. Hopefully we don't waste big money on Stones though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Thinking somewhere a little outside the box, I'd like to see him as a pressing player playing between AM and DM. Winning the ball around the middle of the park and quickly getting it forward. He has a good engine and he loves chasing the ball, I don't really want him playing in an anchor role mainly because of this. He gets a lot more protection from that position from having two CB's behind him. (This season he's been out of position loads of time and had licence to be miles out of position constantly which has triggered me out of existence all season.) Playing CB he's gone ball chasing or wandering off into no mans land in and around the box a few times and it has really cost us.

I think he could be a similar player to Herrera, but on the offensive end I think Herrera has more in his locker. Blind on the defensive and pressing end, more in his.

I see you haven't changed from when you said this a month ago. We shall see, in my personal opinion you'd have to be laying firmly in the chaise lounge to want to pursue Blind at CB next season.

edit: I suppose he won that header but a proper commanding CB heads that out onto the 14th green of the Sinfin Golf course. Though above, rightfully pointed out his horrifying display in the West Ham game.
Criticizes Blind for ball chasing and losing headers and posts a video of Blind winning a header and Smalling floating around chasing a ball he has 0% of getting leaving a gaping hole for Thorne to run straight through. Fantastic work.

Vilev

Really? How about 3-rd WH goal? That was like just maybe two weeks ago. And 2-nd goal was also Blind's fault, but that more to do with his shity positioning.

caid

Agreed, but Jose likes his big, strong, powerful centre backs. Which Blind isn't.
Really dont get people saying that. Its a myth imo
Carvalho wasn't even vaguely close to being a big, strong, powerful centre back
Samuel was fairly meaty but i was under the impression most people regarded him as a good player because of his use of the ball more than being a traditional lump of a defender.
Ramos isn't a big, strong, powerful centre back and neither is stones.

Think its probably likely he'll be moved back to midfield
but he wont be getting replaced by Huth or that type of player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Blind was ok but all in all, not good enough. Too often he was making mistakes and was a reason our defense fell apart once the other team started pressing properly

ti vu

Really dont get people saying that. Its a myth imo
Carvalho wasn't even vaguely close to being a big, strong, powerful centre back
Samuel was fairly meaty but i was under the impression most people regarded him as a good player because of his use of the ball more than being a traditional lump of a defender.
Ramos isn't a big, strong, powerful centre back and neither is stones.

Think its probably likely he'll be moved back to midfield
but he wont be getting replaced by Huth or that type of player.
Big may not be the right word. Strong, powerful is still true though. Replace big for athletic and it's closer to truth.

Ramos, Carvalho, Samuel insert former Mourinho any CB here may not be big strong powerful as in traditional English hard man standard. But if they are strong, powerful, athletic nevertheless to Blind.

Blind is not powerful athletic, strong in term of CB. Bottom line: can't see Blind as CB under Mourinho.

Last edited:

caid

Big may not be the right word. Strong, powerful is still true though. Replace big for athletic and it's closer to truth.
Carvalho was still none of them though. He was quick i guess
I dont think its the first thing he looks for in a defender, I dont think its that important to him at all tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.