Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
What's funny about this, bar smalling he is actually our best centerback. Although I rate rojo, and believe hé has more to offer

Varun

Staff
Said at the start it would take 5 games for Van Gaal to realise this.

santeria13

Sublemon
Yep. Smalling was a one man central defence. Thankfully the full backs were good and Spurs did very little going forward. The idea that this is almost certain to cost us points frustrates the life out of me. It's just so needless.
If you really believe this, you have no idea about football. Smalling did the dirty work and the easy on the eye stuff, but the amount of times blind prevented opportunities simply by his positioning and composure on the ball has to be given credit for. I for one was totally against the decision to put him there but for today at least, it worked out well. I think Smalling/ Blind is actually a very good pairing since they both cover up each others weaknesses very well. Smalling is your typical old fashioned, physical centre back who acts as a stopper where blind is much more intelligent and reads the game very well so essentially he stops a lot of opportunities before they reach Smalling in the first place. There's a lot more that goes on in defending than simply tackling/being able to keep up with the oppositions attacker. Both Smalling/Jones and Smalling/Rojo lack enough brain power to make a successful pairing IMO. The defensive ability(well I'm not so sure about Jones) is there but they are all lacking in ability to read the game, which is perhaps blinds biggest strength and hence why it tends to go unnoticed.

Then again, as another poster above mentioned, why not play Carrick there if that's the issue?

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I have a soft spot for Blind but he isn't a starting centre back.

He will be vital for us this season and I hope he'll be with us for a while. There aren't many players around that has the intelligence and versatility that he does. He'll have a big impact this season.

diarm

Jesus people are clowns.

Blind has the best reading of the game and anticipation of any defender we have and maybe any in the league. I have my own doubts about seeing him come up against a Costa/Benteke/Crouch type but lets leave out the criticism until there is any actually warranted. He had a fine game today against a couple of cracking players in Eriksen and Kane who I thought both looked sharp.

santeria13

Sublemon
Jesus people are clowns.

Blind has the best reading of the game and anticipation of any defender we have and maybe any in the league. I have my own doubts about seeing him come up against a Costa/Benteke/Crouch type but lets leave out the criticism until there is any actually warranted. He had a fine game today against a couple of cracking players in Eriksen and Kane who I thought both looked sharp.
I think most people criticising him are just determined to prove themselves right after bashing LVG for the past 3 weeks. They will always love a good moan! This is coming from someone who was also quite strongly against the decision of playing him there. However I always stated that I felt that the manager had a good reason to put him there and so far he hasn't done anything to show otherwise. Can easily see him becoming our new scapegoat and the apparent reason the whole team decide not to play well(according to the ever knowledgeable football experts on here) with the first real mistake/ below average game he has however :rolleyes:

He was good today. No more and no less. If anyone should be criticised today, it's our attacking players, and well, Valencia.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Daley won't make people happy as long as his position on FIFA/FM is not written as CB. The comments that he isn't a CB are quite funny in some way. I mean why we should judge people on their performances after all.

I think he did very well today, as he did in pre-season. Hopefully we'll continue this partnership, IMO it is the best we have. Would prefer Blind instead of Jones/Evans there every day of the week. We'll see how Rojo will do for us but Blind is complementing Smalling well, is cold as feck, good at passing and reading the game. People moaned before the match how Kane will completely dominate him in the air. That didn't happen after all, yet people still find something to moan.

diarm

I think most people criticising him are just determined to prove themselves right after bashing LVG for the past 3 weeks. They will always love a good moan! This is coming from someone who was also quite strongly against the decision of playing him there. However I always stated that I felt that the manager had a good reason to put him there and so far he hasn't done anything to show otherwise. Can easily see him becoming our new scapegoat and te apparent reason the whole team decide not to play well(according to the ever knowledgeable football experts on here) with the first real mistake/ below average game he has however :rolleyes:
Oh don't get me wrong, I was incredulous when I first heard he was playing there in preseason. Had a good laugh about it in the pub with the lads. But let's watch the game and call it as it actually happens rather than decide what you're going to post before the game.

Blind was very good today. I remember him making one real mistake which he atoned for immediately and several excellent touches or interceptions.

santeria13

Sublemon
Oh don't get me wrong, I was incredulous when I first heard he was playing there in preseason. Had a good laugh about it in the pub with the lads. But let's watch the game and call it as it actually happens rather than decide what you're going to post before the game.

Blind was very good today. I remember him making one real mistake which he atoned for immediately and several excellent touches or interceptions.
Completely agree mate, and this is what I have posted numerous times on the forum only to be met with a lot of angry responses. Can't please everyone I guess.

Sam

Good on the ball, seemed to lose every 50/50, get muscled out a lot, and win no headers.

He's just not a centre back.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
'Ofcourse there will be moments that a striker will win a duel vs me. But it's not all about strength, it's about being smart. Nothing negative about Vertonghen or Alderweireld (1,89 & 1,85 vs Blind at 1,82) but they kept losing duels to Rooney too. The match was a chess game, when Tottenham had the ball we stayed in our (defensive) shape well. We forced them into making mistakes and that also led to the 1-0. We did very well and didn't give away chances untill the end of the game.'

Blind post match interview, probably translated from English to Dutch and then back to English again by me :D

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he played well today really, didn't look troubled at all. Just had that one pass which could have troubled us, but that had nothing to do with him as a CB point of view, that was just a bad pass. Didn't seem to have any trouble coping with the physicality or anything, as we had Smalling next to him who is a tank physically so it evens out. I do think Rojo will be starting once he gets fit enough, but Blind is definitely a decent option to have, better then Blackett and McNair for that position probably.

SteveW

Some awful crap being posted here. Not wanting Blind at CB is not about having an agenda or wanting to criticise. It's simply about understanding what's required for the position. Blind is simply too slow and too weak to play CB in the premier league. I also don't agree that he positional sense is good for a CB. He seems to me to get caught out of position a lot. It's no coincidence that the majority of our clearances and interceptions were made by Smalling because he was the one reading the game and getting into the right positions. Blind was just noticeable for the amount of 50/50s he lost.

The idea that we need him for his ability on the ball doesn't make much sense either. With Carrick and Schneiderlin in front of the defence we have enough to start attacks from deep. All we need right now is another CB who can defend. That would give us a solid back four with good midfield cover in front of it. We'd be in great shape. Playing Blind just gives the opposition an obvious weakness to target.

Mali_Zeus

I dont remember him being caught out of position once and Smalling cleared what was in fron of him. When there was danger on Blind's side he dealt with it.

Sam

You're sure you're talking for today's match?
Yeah, there was a couple of times in the first half where it got a bit congested and Blind seemed to get shoved out of it a bit, mainly by Kane iirc.

It wasn't a major issue, but it just highlights that he's physically vulnerable.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, there was a couple of times in the first half where it got a bit congested and Blind seemed to get shoved out of it a bit, mainly by Kane iirc.

It wasn't a major issue, but it just highlights that he's physically vulnerable.
I just genuinely can't remember it. I think that Kane put the ball once between his legs but that's it. I just don't think that he lost many (any) 50-50 today, neither got outmuscled. He has fantastic positioning and usually is much nearer the ball then the opponents.

Him and Smalling might create a decent partnership IMO. Both very intelligent players with good positioning ability, and good at reading the game.

Butty19

He got away with a couple today. Thought he played well overall just needs to stop take chances, especially when he's the last man. His reading of the game is excellent but he will struggle against a powerful forward.

AR87

I don't like Blind at CB because I don't feel he's suited to be in last man situations defensively, in particular against quick, technical teams, but he's playing because Rojo has only started training with the team once they returned from the US. Whether we agree or not, LVG has been consistent in his need to have a left footed LCB for distribution reasons and nobody else is capable of that in the current team. Once LVG feels Rojo's fitness is adequate and assuming Blind continues to put in mediocre type performances I will be surprised if Rojo doesn't come in for him.

Also I don't particularly care for Blind at CB, but he wasn't terrible today. To me he just looked like Carrick looks when he plays in the back. Those players' defensive capabilities are much better suited to shielding the back four rather than being at the heart of it. They can do a job there at times, but week in and week out in that position is not something we should ever want to see.

Franq

If i remember correctly - van Gaal played Blind senior in defence when he was Ajax coach in 94 - he wants one CB to be able to join midfield as a deep lying playmaker while in possession. In think this is what he has in mind for Blind junior as well... In noticed him playing some well timed through passes today but generally speaking did not offer enough (yet) in build up/attack to make up for his lack of strenght and speed... Against more agile strikers (aguero) we need other options at the back but might still use him as deep lying midfielder (if carrick is injured)

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He was good today without being tested too much. He reads the game and tackles well which is probably enough against Kane. Against someone with more speed or power and he'll struggle at CB in all likelihood

ZDwyr

Jesus people are clowns.

That is a very, very bold statement (and not just because I made it bold).

Roboc7

Jesus people are clowns.

Smalling read the game much better yesterday and I think there are plenty of centre halves who read the game better than blind. Clearly he is an intelligent player but I think it's a massive exaggeration to make that statement.

A better point is he is one of the smallest, slowest and weakest centre halves who started in the league this weekend, whether or not he and rest of defence can compensate for that will define if he is a success or failure.

izec

Had an average game. His passing was more often than not shit for someone playing there because of that quality. He didnt do a lot of mistakes, but he is slow and weak. I dont understand how some say he is a good CB.

He has qualities that make him a good player and even a very good CB, if you just ignore the other things needed. But the basic things he just doesnt have to play that position regularly in the PL.

He doesnt bring the team up, we have to drag him through games. He massively hinders our performances, because he always needs someone watching his back and trying to solve the situation for him. It is like van Gaal just plays him there to strengthen our team work and learning how everybody should compensate and help each other out.

Varun

Staff
Jesus people are clowns.

Michael Carrick is better than him in that aspect.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Great squad player! Not a regular starter if winning trophies.

Oldham

I prefer him over Jones in games against weaker sides. But yes his lack of pace is worrying in this position...

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
He is much more an comfortable in possession than either Jones or Smalling, especially the latter is who is awkward on the ball and cant pass for shit.

However when Rojo is fit and ready I expect him to displace Blind in this role.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Was fine vs Spurs.

But playing him as a first choice CB will mean trouble down the line.

MarkC

Looked decent enough to me and was nice to have somebody in defence who could deal with the ball under pressure. I heard Owen saying before the game if I was Kane i'd just go and stand next to Blind and tell people to play high balls up to me. This was the only thing that worried me as it did against PSG the chance of Blind v Ibrahimovic. He didn't ever seem to get exposed really though so if he can come through games against these two he'll do ok.

POF

This thread is a joke. Wait until he has a game that costs us before you lot start thinking you guys are better managers than Louis effing van gaal.
What a nonsensical argument! So unless he makes a mistake that costs his team the game people can't have an opinion that he shouldn't play there? But for an incorrect offside flag he could have cost them a goal when he was brushed off the ball ridiculously easily after stepping into midfield. Dembele would have been clean through.

His issues with physicality were obvious in the Spurs game. Just because it didn't prove costly in that game doesn't mean it won't in a future game.

I really like Blind. He's an intelligent player who plays to a good level in a number of positions. But he has physical limitations and should never be a first choice centre back at a club like United.

Status
Not open for further replies.