Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Smalling mostly looked after Kane. Kane was poor also.
Don't you think it's odd that despite Smalling apparently doing all of the defensive work, the number of tackles, interceptions and blocks made are almost identical? It seems pretty evident that Blind just goes about his job in a much more subtle, unfussy way.

ForlansHair

I actually prefer him at centre back than in midfield. I feel we get overrun with him in midfield (and can't see him playing in midfield anytime soon with arguably 3 holding midfielders ahead of him).

He was ok in the first game, looked shaky but hardly put a foot wrong (a bit like Romero) and he was exemplary last night.

Empire

How about shouldering most of the footballing responsibilities when we were pressed high up, bringing the ball out without resorting to long balls, easing pressure on the defence by maintaining possession whilst under heavy pressure? If we're talking proactive here, then lets talk about why Romero and Blind had "barely" anything to do, and the answer lies somewhere in between Smalling's defensive ability and Blind's organisational intelligence. Without Daley shouldering almost all the buildup from the back, Smalling would have a whole lot more to defend.
That's what I was trying to tell posters originally, football is a team game and so if the team perform better with him in it what's the problem? The manager obviously thinks his methods will be more effective with Blind in that position otherwise he wouldn't do it, but people seem to think Louis van Gaal wants to make life hard for himself intentionally so people will praise him more, i'm pretty sure he just wants the title even if it means playing his best team like any other manager.

RedAle

That's what I was trying to tell posters originally, football is a team game and so if the team perform better with him in it what's the problem? The manager obviously thinks his methods will be more effective with Blind in that position otherwise he wouldn't do it
The whole setup has been very effective. Blind seems to have such a great knack of knowing when to step up and press. Even when the ball gets through Smalling is in great position to gather and clear it. People talk about how Blind might be left behind for pace, but with Shaw, Smalling and Darmian there is always (so far) someone to cover. They have only had a handful of games together. It's bound to get better (Although there might be the odd mistake along the way). It's very exciting to think of how it could develop.

Reactions: KM
Man Utd 3:1 Brugge

ChaddyP

His Through ball to Depay fro his 2nd was tasty. Shows why he's in the team aswell. When your CB can pull a pass like that its almost cheating :drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't believe he just outmuscled Oulare like that

waza7111

I'm not sure if he's following instructions but he keeps making these long forward runs and than takes ages to get back into position. This leaves huge gaps at the back which better teams will take advantage of.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not sure if he's following instructions but he keeps making these long forward runs and than takes ages to get back into position. This leaves huge gaps at the back which better teams will take advantage of.
You'd hope that one of the two defensive midfielders/fullbacks would be aware for cover.

prath92

This isn't the Smalling thread

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'm not too sure he's as weak as he's been portrayed. He's held his own against players like Kane, Agbonlahor and that giant feckwith Brugge had up front pretty well.

He's not fast but he's as clever as you'd like and as such rarely looses out on pace.

Treble

Said in the unpopular opinions thread that he's going to be our best defensive player this season. He's calmness and intelligence personified.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Physically was very good. I think he will surprise a few people this season at CB.

Robbie Boy

His pace and strength were just fine tonight but he will obviously face bigger tests. But his reading of the game and passing were excellent. The 'Blind is shit' brigade are waiting in the shadows with their knives; one bad game and they will monopolise this thread.

Smores

Some over the top praise in here, came in to praise him myself but he's had 3 easy games so far.

At the moment he's what I expected a steady CB who provides calmness. I think he'll end up being replaced as he's not good enough in the air and a little too slow.

Bwuk

Looks stronger than he was last year, and looks like he's put on some muscle.

He's doing great thus far at CB. Great through ball for the goal.

FromTheBench

He was exposed today more and did well with smalling covering at times too.

But we cannot leave him so exposed against better teams.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Exposed due to pace, recovered due to intelligence. I like him at CB.

Roboc7

I thought he was poor defensively in the first half but he redeemed himself with that pass to depay. Was better in the second half though although few moments where a better player would have exposed his lack of pace.

I would still prefer to see a better option there longer term but he has been better than I though, I think he is very reliant on smalling though who is covering for him a lot and alongside any of our other centre halves I could see things going very wrong. In fairness to blind though he does help smalling in terms of distribution.

Devil may care

A couple of good recoveries in the game, passed it really well and it was fun to see him use a couple of sneaky shoves to win back possession against bigger opponents. There was also one nice moment where he just ran straight past the guy who got to the ball ahead of him and took it straight off him as he turned.

Walters_19_MuFc

Another good performance by Blind. Some of his passes were fantastic, especially the one for Memphis' second.

He and Smalling really do compliment each. Long may the partnership continue.

ZDwyr

His pass for Memphis was really, really good. Shows why LvG wants him as a CB I guess. Defensively was pretty sound too. He is making me look very wrong about him and it's great. Hope the partnership continues to develop, it is looking good.

World Game

Total Football bruh, Smalling does/did it too.

Obiorahking_

Smalling and blind fit so well together. I can't wait until their first big challenge.

suheilsworld

I have been satisfied with his performance so far. As cliched as it might sound that we have a long season ahead of us, he will make mistakes but he is one of those intelligent footballers who will adapt and learn. I would like us to give him chance this season and play him consistently at CB and not keep shifting him from CB to LB to midfield (at least midfield should not happen with the options we have).

But whom do we have as cover for Shaw? If Shaw gets injured I do not want to see Blind slotting there.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He was exposed today more and did well with smalling covering at times too.

But we cannot leave him so exposed against better teams.
That's how I saw it. Smalling was a one man central defense at times.

It has worked well so far; his passing has been very good from the back and does help the team, but his positioning still leaves me scared defensively. He would have been perfect if he was couple of inches taller and had just a little more pace.

But whom do we have as cover for Shaw? If Shaw gets injured I do not want to see Blind slotting there.
Rojo.

Hamadovich86

Proving me wrong with every good performance at CB. Hes one of the better more accurate passers in the squad so he gives us a great option building up play from the back. Still I would like to see his performance against the very top calibre players to judge him at CB but so far so good.

Anustart89

It's so funny reading this thread. Every single game it's "he does x which a harder/better/faster/stronger [team/striker/opponent] will expose. And still nothing's happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.