Daley Blind to Ajax| Deal to be done at 16m euros plus 5m in bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Actually have to agree with you on him getting a shot in midfield, because we havent really seen him there and he has the skill-set for it on top of that if he makes a mistake there there it wouldn't normally result in something dangerous. I'm not saying he's more prone to mistakes than our other players but because he lacks speed and strength he seldom recovers. Bailly does as many mistakes if not more in defence but his speed and strength gives him a chance to catch up and recover, Blind is done for when he does, especially when playing in the defence, we've seen it a couple of times in his time here.

I personally don't want him in our defence because I feel that his lack of physicality can't be balanced out by his skills. Hes out-paced and wrestled in to submission to easily. I'll even go as far and say I rather have Mensah as backup than him for our CB position. I'm not in the camp "good riddance" because if he would accept a role as the backup incase we have alot injuries, I wouldn't mind at all having his skills as backup at the club, but not as a rotational player in defence.

But now I would really want to see him in a midfield role after you mentioned it.
I quite liked him when he played alongside Smalling at the back, it kinda worked, it was probably Smalling's most consistent spell in a United shirt, and Blind had a calmed assurance about him, regularly getting the ball into a midfielder player on the move(something we're missing now), and for all the fears about his lack of pace/physicality he rarely got done for either, often just stepping in in front of the attacker whilst they were waiting for the ball.

But his future is in midfield, thats where he's playing for Holland at the minute, I wouldn't particularly fancy him in a two, but in a three he'll do a very good job for whoever is lucky enough to sign him(if he leaves)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I completely agree with your points.
Perhaps he was never suited to the midfield due to lick of pace and physicality, but he always found the right pass and could fill many holes. It's an important characteristic for a squad player, and he always had a great attitude as well.

20mil should be the target for us. He's 27, still a lot of time on his hands and can give Roma some great options.
Physicality maybe, but I don't think he's any slower than Matic, Carrick, or Paddy Crerand

He's easily a £25m+ player if only for his versatility, but we won't be getting that from Roma, or any Italian club at the minute.

J_Red 11

Don’t know man, those full back positions and CM keep me awake at night. We either need to be very lucky with injuries/suspensions or the draws if we want to win something this year.
5 OUT: Fellaini & Zlatan (contract expired), Darmian & Blind (sold), Carrick (retired)
2 IN: FB & CM

21 or Over 21 y.o: DDG, Romero, Valencia, Young, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo, Matic, McTomminey, Herrera, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, 2 more players.

Under 21: Rashford, Tuanzebe, Mensah, and etc.

crossy1686

career ending
5 OUT: Fellaini & Zlatan (contract expired), Darmian & Blind (sold), Carrick (retired)
2 IN: FB & CM

21 or Over 21 y.o: DDG, Romero, Valencia, Young, Shaw, Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof, Jones, Rojo, Matic, McTomminey, Herrera, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, 2 more players.

Under 21: Rashford, Tuanzebe, Mensah, and etc.
Those 2 players coming in need to be class acts. We also need cover for Valencia at RB next season, he isn't getting any younger.

I'd argue three signings. LB, RB and CM.

AndyJ1985

It's annoying the deal broke down. Would have been good to get him off the wage bill.

izec

Not suited here. I still dont know if he is a better LB, CB or midfielder. Ajax/Barca are the only clubs for him with their flexible systems.

Member 5225

Say what you want, but Jose is awesome at getting great prices on sales! :drool:

Zoo

Got a soft spot for Blind but it’s right to move him on. Hope he and Ajax do well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good pro was Daley. Vaguely remember thinking his wife was pretty too. He was also good at football, sometimes.

manutddjw

Always thought he was an excellent footballer who just wasn’t suited to the English game due to his physical limitations. Think he should’ve gotten a move to a club in a better league, but I’m happy with the fee we got. I wish him all the best.

RedIke

Still dont know what his best position was.

But the guy was always a good soldier for the team. Cant and dont have anything bad to say about a player like that. Im a fan, but off ya go and good luck.

manunited1919

I remember when he came in, LVG started playing him at the base of a Diamond midfield, he really looked like the midfielder we had been needing.

peridigm

I remember when he came in, LVG started playing him at the base of a Diamond midfield, he really looked like the midfielder we had been needing.
I remember one of the first times he played CB. It was with Carrick I think. Cup game maybe. Someone came off injured. Probably Jones.

Colombian Mancunian

Good luck to him, was a pro, and did his best. Sadly lacked the physicality to play in the PL, and it’s better suited to a possession based team such as Ajax, UEFAlona... or $hitty European games.

Can’t we get De Ligt? O whishfully think we can offload Smalling and Jones, while buying De Ligt and Alderweilder.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good deal, player who was barely used and had just 1 year left on contract.

This is very good change since Jose came in. We are not selling players on cheap.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who will he replace at Ajax? De Ligt?
Blind never played as CB for Ajax, he was LB and DM. He won Dutch player of the year playing as CM/DM, so won't be surprised if they signed him to play in midfield.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Goodbye sweet prince :( I’m gutted it hasn’t worked out with Blind. He’s a very good player, one of the players I like the most at the club and one whose attributes I really admire. I think he’s suited to a team that is possession based, so always thought he’d be a great fit for Barca but Ajax is a great fit again for him tbh. I swear, if he had pace he would be truly outstanding, no lie. All the best Daley.

Good deal for him and the club. Sorry he didn't have the physical attributes to succeed here under Mourinho, he was a class player for us at times.

Aloysius's Back 3

The best player we could use at the centre of a back 3 - without buying anyone new.

Has the ability to bring the best out of players like Smalling who are much more reactive defensively than proactive.

The fact he has this random physical limitations whilst Lindellf hides behinds his hands at every cross is simply absurd.

Not happy - but i was never happy with Jose except for players he bought for the club like Pogba & not bought purely for himself.

OH well. I loved watching Blind.

C'est Moi Cantona

Could never understand why he wasn't used more, quality on the ball, can read the game well, excellent at set pieces, good passer etc, if we had truly elite players keeping him out then fair enough, but we don't.

I guess he's just not appreciated by a manager who prefers a battering ram approach over a bit of finesse.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't fault Blind. He's been a top class pro and never moaned publicly even when he hadn't played for months.

He was really good as a CB with Smalling, we definitely missed his passing from the back.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Goodbye sweet prince :( I’m gutted it hasn’t worked out with Blind. He’s a very good player, one of the players I like the most at the club and one whose attributes I really admire. I think he’s suited to a team that is possession based, so always thought he’d be a great fit for Barca but Ajax is a great fit again for him tbh. I swear, if he had pace he would be truly outstanding, no lie. All the best Daley.
He's not. He's blind

Aloysius's Back 3

Could never understand why he wasn't used more, quality on the ball, can read the game well, excellent at set pieces, good passer etc, if we had truly elite players keeping him out then fairenough, but we don't.

I guess he's just not appreciated by a manager who prefers a battering ram approach over a bit of finesse.

Ditto - just the balance of playing someone like Blind amongst his numerous battering rams would have bought balance. Unfortunately Jose to me didn't want to try something new & continues to go with his tried & tested method.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Good fecking riddance. About time we started shipping some of the deadwood. Darmian and Smalling next please.

Status
Not open for further replies.