Dalian Atkinson dies after being tasered by police

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm all for tasers in the right situations but I think police even use those too quickly. Not that I know what happened here, maybe it was justified.
A blind man in Chorley was tasered because there'd been reports of someone with a sword. It was his cane.

witchtrials

I'm all for tasers in the right situations but I think police even use those too quickly. Not that I know what happened here, maybe it was justified.
A blind man in Chorley was tasered because there'd been reports of someone with a sword. It was his cane.
Yeah they seem like a good idea when presented as alternative to giving the police guns, but the problem is that to a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail. We know that when we give tasers to the police they don't just use them in these model scenarios of people running at them with a knife, or whatever; instead experience tells us officers resort to them in a proliferating number of scenarios (people being who are being rowdy or disobedient, people who they suspected could possibly have been armed, even people having a fit etc.). And they are used disproportionately against people who are marginalised in a way that makes officers feel like they won't be held responsible (black people, poor people etc.).

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there was a credible police accountability system in this country but there isn't - the IPCC is a joke.

Last edited:

djdhrubs

This is awful. I remember him and Saunders as a very scary strike partnership in that season Villa challenged us for the title. He used to attack very quickly from a central position, go on a run, and shoot from about 20-25 yards very early. Scored a bunch of great goals that season in that manner.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah they seem like a good idea when presented as alternative to giving the police guns, but the problem is that to a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail. We know that when we give tasers to the police they don't just use them in these model scenarios of people running at them with a knife, or whatever; instead experience tells us officers resort to them in a proliferating number of scenarios (people being who are being rowdy or disobedient, people who they suspected could possibly have been armed, even people having a fit etc.). And they are used disproportionately against people who are marginalised in a way that makes officers feel like they won't be held responsible (black people, poor people etc.).

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there was a credible police accountability system in this country but there isn't - the IPCC is a joke.
Exactly...100%! Cue the bent American police system. The sad thing is for every reported police incident in the media there's probably 10 that never see the light of day. He must have been up to no good to warrant the police attention but I guess we'll know in the fullness of time whether they went in a heavy handed approach or were acting appropriately.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He must have been doing something wrong as the police obviously felt threatened enough for them to use the taser, unlike in America our police are taught to use weapons as a last resort.

It's a complete accident but I'm sure the police were only doing there job.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He must have been doing something wrong as the police obviously felt threatened enough for them to use the taser, unlike in America our police are taught to use weapons as a last resort.

It's a complete accident but I'm sure the police were only doing there job.
The reason the US police got away with acting like they do for so long is because everyone assumed they were just trying to do their jobs. I'm not giving any police the automatic benefit of the doubt.

AshfordLad

The reason the US police got away with acting like they do for so long is because everyone assumed they were just trying to do their jobs. I'm not giving any police the automatic benefit of the doubt.
So you mean you'd blame police of brutality in this case right away?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

I have full faith in our police they acted properly. If you don't want to then it's up to you but you've obviously being American-ised in terms of thinking our police are like theres.

I'm 100% certain this guy would've done something for them to warrant the use of a taser.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I have full faith in our police they acted properly. If you don't want to then it's up to you but you've obviously being American-ised in terms of thinking our police are like theres.

I'm 100% certain this guy would've done something for them to warrant the use of a taser.
Really? Like when the police chased and shot Jean Charles de Menezes repeatedly in the head after mistaking him for a terrorist?

Don't get me wrong, I think our police are MUCH better then their US counterparts, but don't give them a free pass on things, otherwise they'll end up just like them.

Dobba

Really? Like when the police chased and shot Jean Charles de Menezes repeatedly in the head after mistaking him for a terrorist?
And then repeatedly lied about almost every individual element of the situation. Just like they did prior to the video footage of Ian Tomlinson making its way to the press. Give the police time to come up 3 or 4 different versions of events and you'll probably get one somewhere near to what actually happened.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
BBC have an eye witness account.

Paula Quinn, who lives in a first-floor flat near the Atkinson property in Trench, told the Shropshire Star she had witnessed the Taser being fired after hearing shouting.

"I stuck my head out the window to look out and I saw two police officers shouting at the gentleman and he sort of was stumbling towards them and the police officers warned him they would Taser him, but he just seemed a bit, perhaps, inebriated.

"And because he continued to step forward once or twice - non-threatening - they deployed the Taser," she said.

"As the Taser hit him in the stomach he just went 'doof', down like a lead balloon."
Unless they had prior warning of him having a weapon, that sounds like a pretty flimsy reason to use a taser.

Devarshi

What a tragedy, for the victim, the family, and I daresay the officers involved too. There have been several incidents of tasers leading to deaths over the past decade, but this has to be one of the more high profile ones. Hopefully this will cause further investigation into the safety and usage of tasers. Still, what a random death, always terrible to hear about.

Harmony Row

On his day - and in that particular Aston Villa side - he was a terror. Always thought he would have done well with us back in about 93. Had the pace and flair to work well in the system Ferguson used at the time. Lots of pace down the wings with Giggs, Sharpe and Kanchelskis too. Would have been a good backup/alternative to Cantona and Hughes, and a good foil for McClair whenever the other two were injured/suspended.

Sad news. RIP.

)_(

I don't think that has anything to do with being Americanised, most people I know don't like/trust the police and I live in northern Europe. More likely it has something to do with someone's background than being Americanised, especially since there's a lot of countries where the police is way worse than the one's in the US. But this is not the place for that discussion...

Sad news regardless of the how and why of it, RIP

AlwaysRed66

When these killing weapons were first announced to be used in this country, it was said they were only to be used in life threatening conditions by trained personnel. As time has gone on the occasional incident has been changed to daily occurrences for flimsy excuses by many untrained people. If a police officer shot a suspect with a gun there would be a big enquiry & the officer no doubt charged, but although these weapons are equally dangerous nothing is being done. Unless this was a life threatening instance, not someone who was walking around drunk which seems to be what is coming out, then these individuals should be charged with unlawfully killing someone. This easy fix & excuse for arresting people needs to be stopped & these weapons banned.

gormless

When these killing weapons were first announced to be used in this country, it was said they were only to be used in life threatening conditions by trained personnel. As time has gone on the occasional incident has been changed to daily occurrences for flimsy excuses by many untrained people. If a police officer shot a suspect with a gun there would be a big enquiry & the officer no doubt charged, but although these weapons are equally dangerous nothing is being done. Unless this was a life threatening instance, not someone who was walking around drunk which seems to be what is coming out, then these individuals should be charged with unlawfully killing someone. This easy fix & excuse for arresting people needs to be stopped & these weapons banned.
But they're not killing weapons though are they? One horrible accident doesn't change the hundreds of times they're safely used

AshfordLad

Not at all, I'd just wait until the investigation is complete. Just not comfortable assuming they're probably in the right.
Fair enough. For some reason I assumed you were seeing the police as the culprit in your post.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Are you a cop/ex-cop or just a tad naive? I know a couple of people who used to be in the police force. One of them told me about when they were arresting a person and in the scuffle the suspect spat blood at her. Some of it went in her mouth and that was the last straw for her....she quit shortly after that. But she said the other coppers there were going to put him in the back of the van and give him a going over. Even though the suspect had done that to her she had to stop her 'colleagues' from setting about him because she knew what was going to happen. Many times I've had straight, direct conversations with her and my other mate and I can assure you they are not squeaky clean.

You can't be 100% certain that they acted honourably.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Not at all, I'd just wait until the investigation is complete. Just not comfortable assuming they're probably in the right.
BBC have an eye witness account.

Unless they had prior warning of him having a weapon, that sounds like a pretty flimsy reason to use a taser.
That didn't last long.

witchtrials

It would be nice if we could have this level of faith in their actions but there is nothing to justify this blanket trust.

It's frankly extremely worrying that people might think they know with absolute confidence that the police were justified in using potentially lethal force before they have even released any real details of the incident.

AlwaysRed66

But they're not killing weapons though are they? One horrible accident doesn't change the hundreds of times they're safely used
Of course they are if they kill people, which they have. They are also classed as a weapon of torture by the United Nations. I can understand using them as a last resort, like they were originally supposed to be, but lazy policing is using them for any sort of reason. Where in the past police would just apprehend someone, they now automatically go for these weapons. Remember that blind guy who was tasered because some lazy policeman thought his white stick was a sword.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
It would be nice if we could have this level of faith in their actions but there is nothing to justify this blanket trust.

It's frankly extremely worrying that people might think they know with absolute confidence that the police were justified in using potentially lethal force before they have even released any real details of the incident.
Well everyone should wait for the evidence, even those who are skeptical of the behavior of law enforcement.

MrPooni

Feel free to delete if it's deemed irrelevant but there's a great documentary on the fallacy of the taser as a non-lethal weapon if anyone wishes to seek it out. Here's the trailer:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That didn't last long.
Well everyone should wait for the evidence, even those who are skeptical of the behavior of law enforcement.
Im not saying 'Hey look the police did bad!', and won't pass judgement until we know a lot more, but we can still talk about it. This being an internet discussion board and all. :)

witchtrials

It's a long, long way from just being one horrible accident. Last year alone 49 people were killed by police tasers in the US. Can't blame you for not knowing that since they are often talked about as if they are relatively harmless, but the police ought to know how dangerous they are and their usage ought to reflect that.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's a long, long way from just being one horrible accident. Last year alone 49 people were killed by police tasers in the US. Can't blame you for not knowing that since they are often talked about as if they are relatively harmless, but the police ought to know how dangerous they are and their usage ought to reflect that.
Police have them used on them in training don't they?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Are you a cop/ex-cop or just a tad naive? I know a couple of people who used to be in the police force. One of them told me about when they were arresting a person and in the scuffle the suspect spat blood at her. Some of it went in her mouth and that was the last straw for her....she quit shortly after that. But she said the other coppers there were going to put him in the back of the van and give him a going over. Even though the suspect had done that to her she had to stop her 'colleagues' from setting about him because she knew what was going to happen. Many times I've had straight, direct conversations with her and my other mate and I can assure you they are not squeaky clean.

You can't be 100% certain that they acted honourably.
Tbf the guy asked for it, if you spat on an officer be sure they will rough you up. Cops are just human. Now killing him / shooting him / planting evidence is a different animal, but let's not assume all cops are patrons of justice.

If you didn't broke the law and be respectful towards society the chance of foul play is minimum.

Angelinho

RIP Dalian Atkinson. Hopefully his fame will ensure that his death is fully investigated.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
Oh no! Rest in peace. Tasers aren't that safe, but if enough people buy into that idea, people (including cops) will be happy to just use them under the slightest threat.

Champagne Football

Unbelievable. Still remember him scoring against us in the 1994 League Cup final. That Villa team wasn't bad for a couple of years was it? Biggest obstacle to us ending the 26 years of hurt. Crazy he's dead.
I remember that game like it was yesterday. We were going for the domestic treble and were expected to cruise to victory. Dalian Atkinson was a one man team that day and anihilated us on his own and for the rest of that summer I prayed that Fergie would buy him for us....Best player in the league on his day but he rarely turned up on a consistent basis....Fergie probably did his homework on him before opting against biying him

witchtrials

If you didn't broke the law and be respectful towards society the chance of foul play is minimum.
It amazes me that any football fan could argue this so soon after the Hillsbrough inquest verdict.

In any case, these potentially lethal weapons aren't supposed to be used on people just because they break the law or are disrespectful - they are supposed to be used in life-threatening situations. If officers use them in cases that fall short of that they ought to be held to account.