Dalot signs a new contract until 2028(+1)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
For him I don't mind that squad wage. Hopefully he will improve further and he's an international and can cover a couple of positions so as long as he's happy with his role it sounds alright.

IRELANDUNITED

This will surely mean AWB will be leaving in the summer, we can probably get close to 30m for him with his recent form, we can then reinvest that in another right back to compete with Dalot.

AndySmith1990

100k/week for a squad RB is that really the right wage level ?
Doubt he'd get it at any other club. But relative to Uniteds average wage it's not too bad. At least he's used and is available to play most of the time

Marcus

He improved so much under EtH. Have you all forgotten how much we were dependent on him? I for one was terrified that he would get injured because he had no adequate cover for RB. Of course, AWB has himself responded to the challenge in the latter part of the season and this is just a great place for United to be for the RB situation. Competition for places and all that.

Aretak

Seems like a good deal to me. Realistically you'd need to spend a fair whack in terms of both transfer fees and wages to get a replacement in who's signficantly better than him, and there are other areas of the team FAR more in need of improving. He also seems like a decent character who's happy to rotate with someone else and doesn't cause trouble. Maybe down the line when the takeover's (hopefully) done he can be upgraded upon if he doesn't develop, but in the here and now it's the right move.

Reactions: Cheimoon

SAFMUTD

so 85k per week for a RB that lost his starting place to Wan Bissaka that doesnt sound really smart.

PSV

Alright with this.

In a 25 man squad battling on multiple fronts you'd expect eight defenders, somewhat balanced like this (giving 3 options for each role):

Pure LB: Malacia
LB/LCB: Shaw
LCB: Martinez
RCB: Varane
RB/RCB: ??
Pure RB: AWB
RB/LB: Dalot
LCB/RCB: Lindelof

We just need that last piece and to be honest our defense is alright. How's Maguire at RB? :wenger:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
100k/week for a squad RB is that really the right wage level ?
It's a 5 year contract, so he'll be spending his peak years at United. With his age and experience, it won't be difficult to shift him out if it doesn't work.

And also it's the end of his last contract, where he could go for free.

humdinger

He’s been excellent at points this season and generally always been ok. And we have other more pressing needs. He’s not on a big salary either. Hard to find any negatives here.

Brightonian

Fine with this. Given AWB's continued improvement, and ETH's positive comments on him, I reckon this means we are sensibly focussing our resources elsewhere. Yes, we could lose one of these two and add a Frimpong or someone. But CF, CM and CB are all higher priorities (in that order). And we won't have the coffers to spend effectively on four positions.

fallengt

His positioning is awful but ETH clearly likes Diogo and he isn't on high wage so don't mind it. United need upgrade still

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Feel like Ten Hag is like me on FM and values a fullback that can cover both lanes.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
His positioning is awful but ETH clearly likes Diogo and he isn't on high wage so don't mind it. United need upgrade still
I wouldn't call it awful. A lot of room for improvement but especially before WC he was brilliant in defense too, actually being in the right position at the back post clearing so many crosses etc. I'm hopeful the coaching staff can develop him as he's got the technical and physical tools to become a very good FB. Still only 24, the best years are definitely ahead of him.

Widow

I think he's bang average, not great going forward and not great defensively. I would have preferred to keep AWB and bring in a very good attacking RB.

Bertie Wooster

Happy enough with that.

He's a developing player and, while far from the finished article, his versatility is handy. His wages also sound fine.

Up to the club now what they do about AWB, and both options are valid. Keeping Dalot and AWB to battle for RB and addressing other areas is fine. But selling AWB would also be fine, so long as we get the choice right with the upgrade.

But a few more important areas to address in the squad and, with the takeover talk dragging on and so confusion about the budget and when we'll actually start signing players, then happy enough to keep with Dalot and AWB for now if we can't get round to addressing all areas needed.

DarkXaero

I'm not sure what people are moaning about. Before the World Cup and his injury he was looking world class and formed a great back 4 with Varane and Licha, if he can hit those heights again he'd be a mainstay at RB, it's like you all got memory loss or something and are only seeing some of his performances in the latter half of the season, of which not a lot of squad members cover themselves in glory
This.

Delighted to see him extended, he earned it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Will forever be grateful for his role in the PSG game away from home, came on and changed our defence and also won the penalty for the win.

That aside, this contract is definitely worth it he did well before his injury and then AWB did his best to keep hold of his position. I think Dalot will probably start again next season and it will be his position to lose.

Just no more diving in and giving Liverpool easy opening goals. Good lad.

CM

Dalot's had an okay season but I'm not sure I ever see him becoming the starting RB for us, and the contract seems a bit generous off the back of one half decent season in 5. I probably would've looked to cash in if there was an obvious first team replacement to come this summer, but I think we might end up waiting for that one. I imagine this means Wan-Bissaka will be off at some point in the next 12 months.

Cloud7

Really happy about this. He's looked good under ETH and he can play as both RB and LB. Good player to have in the squad.

Cantonagotmehere

Very happy about this. I was an early doubter and his lack of defensive urgency killed me. But, he has worked hard and improved. I'd keep AWB for another year unless we get blown away by an offer and push off the RB improvements.

Demon Barber

I am glad that Dalot has extended and think he deserves it. I think he has had a good season with one dio in form. His game has improved this season and also seems like a hard-working and decent bloke.

I hope AWB stays too. There are greater priorities.

Reactions: Cheimoon

GBBQ

It’s a cost of 26 million (plus bonuses) over the course of the contract. That’s not a huge outlay for a reliable squad player and 26 mil wouldn’t get you much in the market. He’s also young with potential to improve (as he undoubtedly has done this season).

It Likely spells the end for AWB though. I think we’d keep one or the other as second choice but we’d be crazy going into the season with those two.

jesperjaap

DOnt personally see how this is a good deal when a lot of people want a new first choice right back. So he has signed a new deal for £85-100k a week....pretty sure that is more than he would have got anywhere else leaving on a free....wasnt he on like £30-35k a week.

So worst case scenario, lets say he doesnt develop at all and regresses....will then be talking about him being difficult to offload as nobody will pay his wage. £100k a week good for someone more than likely ot be a squad player even if we dotn sign another right back? What is it 3/4 years....we have spent another £20m odd on him to remain here.

People talking about him as a development player, he is 24 now, hardly old but people talking about him as if he is 20-21.

Have never been particularly keen on him and I hope it dosnt effect the future of Bissaka as bar versatility to paly both full back positions (which is to me almost irrelevat as we have two good left backs and a youngsters doing great on loan) I think Bissaka offers far much more as his strengths are at least top quality...for me Dalot is decent carrying the ball, average attacking wise which can easily be replaced and bang average at best defensively.

He has done ok this season, but I think was massively overhyped his performances at the same time.

The only way to me this deal makes sense is if we are prioritising filling other positions this season and Ten Hag is happy with his two right back options, personally I think we should have only kept one and it wasnt the one with a shiny new contract today

davidmichael

Am I the only one who thinks we’ll go into next season with AWB and Dalot as our right backs ? Dalot was brilliant up until the World Cup whilst AWB was brilliant for a while after it so although we could upgrade on both it’s far from a priority and I’d be happy with those two at right back next season.

Belisarius

Good news!

I think this is the correct model going forward for all but a few players. Acquire them young and develop them. Then keep them through their prime years. Very important to be patient while they develop. We've done this with both Shaw and now Dalot. It's a much more sustainable model than paying over the odds for 28 to 30 year olds.

wolvored

No new RB then. WB has taken Dalots starting place and TH has said how much he has improved.

Biggins

People seem to forget that Diogo turned 24 just recently. He has still room to grow and there aren’t many players in his age bracket that are really better than him. On top of it, Dalot can play RB and LB without drop in quality which is a great asset. Buzzed that he signed such a long contract as we need to keep such players and help them to become even better.

Lights Out

Amazed at the positivity in here. This player is miles away from the standard required for a team hoping to be challenging for the title.

Baffling.

madzo2007

He probably has a higher ceiling than AWB and clearly ETH likes what he sees and will probably be more suited to the style of play ETH is aiming to play over the next couple of years.

Reiver

Am I the only one who thinks we’ll go into next season with AWB and Dalot as our right backs ? Dalot was brilliant up until the World Cup whilst AWB was brilliant for a while after it so although we could upgrade on both it’s far from a priority and I’d be happy with those two at right back next season.
This is how I see it. They've both done enough and offer healthy competition for each other. We can concentrate on areas of higher priority