Dalot signs a new contract until 2028(+1)

RedDevil@84

None of them deserve any extensions. Everyone follows the template of few months of good form, get a 4 + 1 yr extension.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Looked good for three months last season. Aside from that he’s been terrible

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Handing an average defender like Dalot a new 5 year deal needs a criminal investigation.
That's a bollocks tweet because He's only a cover full back here too - he's playing every game twice a week due to 4 other fullbacks being injured so will be knackered too

He was shit last night but he didn't actually cost much so he's far down the list of bad transfers/contracts at this club

In Rainbows

None of them deserve any extensions. Everyone follows the template of few months of good form, get a 4 + 1 yr extension.
And get wages that they would never get elsewhere. United bid against themselves all the time.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Looked good for three months last season. Aside from that he’s been terrible
That's it right there. A run of good form for a few months is all you need at this club to get a new contract.

Hell, maybe not even that - Martial had a few positive cameos this season and the club is already considering extending his contract.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
That's a bollocks tweet because He's only a cover full back here too - he's playing every game twice a week due to 4 other fullbacks being injured so will be knackered too

He was shit last night but he didn't actually cost much so he's far down the list of bad transfers/contracts at this club
Exactly. The issue is we have an emergency loan signing pretty much and AWB is injured, even he has a lot of flaws going forward and just look so awkward on the ball. Dalot isn’t great or anything but he pretty much plays the right on his own. The system is flawed and isn’t made to allow our full backs to look good. Other side of the pitch Newcastle have Hall, Livramento, Burn and Trippier who are all better than what we have available, but they would probably look shite here too and run out of ideas quickly.

AB_89

This is all a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Dalot played well last season, has some positive attributes, is still fairly young and covers both sides. So it's entirely reasonable for us to have him as a squad player pushing for a starting spot. He is starting most games this season purely down to injuries.

Also, it's convenient for them to simply omit that he starts for Portugal in order to make their case!

Reactions: Rood

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That's it right there. A run of good form for a few months is all you need at this club to get a new contract.

Hell, maybe not even that - Martial had a few positive cameos this season and the club is already considering extending his contract.
That can’t be serious? We need to move players on. Everything goes stale. Can’t keep being the manager. Our owners see the players more as assets on the books.

TomSkalle

If Martial gets a new contract ill start laughing and probably never stop.
I dont think Dalot is good enough, but as cover at 85k its maybe understandable.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

This is all a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Dalot played well last season, has some positive attributes, is still fairly young and covers both sides. So it's entirely reasonable for us to have him as a squad player pushing for a starting spot. He is starting most games this season purely down to injuries.

Also, it's convenient for them to simply omit that he starts for Portugal in order to make their case!
Yeah but Ronaldo starts for Portugal...

Dalot is fine as a back up, he's too soft though. There's a real lack of aggression in this defence, Lindelof, Maguire, Dalot, getting tackled by them would be like getting touched by freshly knitted quilt billowing in the wind of a sultry summer night. Licha is like an angry chihuahua with a diamond for a left foot. More dawgs, less quilts.

Tyrion

And get wages that they would never get elsewhere. United bid against themselves all the time.
I think that's why we attract players with no motivation. We pay people fortunes to do very little. If we didn't overpay, the only players who'd come would be ones who are motivated to actually do something on the pitch. I heard a similar theory about the Ireland managers job; that the high wages attract big name managers who didnt actually care.

Yorke to Cole

There was a quote from that crafty cnut Crafton on Dalot as well, stating he was an example of United retaining unwanted players as he went out on loan to AC Milan but brought him back. He did say that he would not "get in at Liverpool or Manchester City" which is fair enough.

However, it is an opportunistic reference made online as he has a bad game on Sunday and last night. It serves to gain traction and keep that so called journalist relevant. It may be an opinion they genuinely have of the player they will retain these references for a moment when they apply.

It is a convoluted way of shit stirring.

spwd

No fecking way?:nono:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Only up till the World Cup. He’s been underwhelming as usual since than.

NZT-One

Handing an average defender like Dalot a new 5 year deal needs a criminal investigation.
I am not a fan of the player but that take seems harsh. I mean, he is rather young, he is considered a talent by some people and even some United fans think, he played well on a few occasions. So if anything, this is a guy we could sell later down the line. Would also be interested in the wages, if that is so high, that it makes selling more difficult, it would be shit, if not, it is a bit of a non-story. He'd definitely find a new club, why wouldn't we do what is needed to get a few more bucks out of it.

If such a contract would mean, he is considered a starting fullback of United, I'd understand the outrage, but I don't think, the connection of that scenario and a new contract with decent conditions is that strong.

TomSkalle

I am not a fan of the player but that take seems harsh. I mean, he is rather young, he is considered a talent by some people and even some United fans think, he played well on a few occasions. So if anything, this is a guy we could sell later down the line. Would also be interested in the wages, if that is so high, that it makes selling more difficult, it would be shit, if not, it is a bit of a non-story. He'd definitely find a new club, why wouldn't we do what is needed to get a few more bucks out of it.

If such a contract would mean, he is considered a starting fullback of United, I'd understand the outrage, but I don't think, the connection of that scenario and a new contract with decent conditions is that strong.
He has 85k£ in weekly salary
To put that into context, its quite low comparing to other united players.
So he has gotten a "cover" salary wich are understandable.
If he improves, im guessing he will get a better contract.

Players like Donny and Lindeløf are on 120k£.
Harry Maguire 189k£
Martial 250k£

Highest paid at United are Casemiro at 350k£.

Judas

Open to offers
Even backups should be reliable and decent, I don’t get the logic that it’s ok he’s pretty crap because in theory he won’t play all the time! It’s settling for mediocrity.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

My main issue is that neither Dalot nor AWB seem good enough to be a starting RB at a top club. The idea of selling one and get an upgrade on both was correct.

Judas

Open to offers
My main issue is that neither Dalot nor AWB seem good enough to be a starting RB at a top club. The idea of selling one and get an upgrade on both was correct.
Yes. This was the bare minimum of what we should have done, I genuinely couldn’t believe it when I realized late into the summer we’d given both new deals. Exhaustingly poorly run club.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
His ‘attempt’ to defend that first goal on Wednesday has really made me question whether these players have downed tools or not. The term ‘schoolboy’ defending is thrown around far too much but that was utterly pathetic. He’s an international level player, if he can’t even follow the basic rules of defending he needs dropped for a sustained period until he understands his role in the side.

flappyjay

Yeah it's a 5 year contract but at 85k it's actually one of our better contracts and I think we would make more than the 20m we bought him for if we decided to sell.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
People always seem to defend Dalot, but the thing is he's been here years and not only could I not tell you what he's good at,but I'd struggle with explaining what he isn't terrible at. Every area of his game is his main weakness, and on top of that he's consistently one of the chief culprits with the panicking, sulking, jogging lazily about, etc.

So actually I do think he's an example of our flawed recruitment, because he wouldn't be a back up at another top 6 club, he'd have been replaced 2 years ago.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

It is an issue. He is shit and to give a long term contract is stupid.

Kostov

He is average to shit at about everything. Banged a nice goal couple of weeks ago, costs us every week in a different way.

Oranges038

His ‘attempt’ to defend that first goal on Wednesday has really made me question whether these players have downed tools or not. The term ‘schoolboy’ defending is thrown around far too much but that was utterly pathetic. He’s an international level player, if he can’t even follow the basic rules of defending he needs dropped for a sustained period until he understands his role in the side.
First and second goals he was awful for both.

Pure lazy braindead defending.

AndySmith1990

Yeah it's a 5 year contract but at 85k it's actually one of our better contracts and I think we would make more than the 20m we bought him for if we decided to sell.
Not sure why he's not been sold then. He's rubbish

TomSkalle

The same thing with Lindeløf in the City match where Haaland just passed him ballwatching and got a free 100% chance header that he missed (luckily), then abit later he follows a player, leaves the whole left side open and Haaland scores.
These players just arent good enough, and we have no captain that barks at them mid game when they do stupid mistakes to get them in line.

Im so tired of looking at these players just shrugging when they concede bad goals with a "oh well.."
We really really need a good captain on this team.

That said, we have had alot of injuries this season, but why do we keep giving contracts to backup players that just arent good enough?
Its better to play with talented youngsters IMO. Atleast they have an excuse when they play bad.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He wouldn't be a starter for at least 12 PL clubs. He'd be 3rd choice at many.

AndySmith1990

The same thing with Lindeløf in the City match where Haaland just passed him ballwatching and got a free 100% chance header that he missed (luckily), then abit later he follows a player, leaves the whole left side open and Haaland scores.
These players just arent good enough, and we have no captain that barks at them mid game when they do stupid mistakes to get them in line.

Im so tired of looking at these players just shrugging when they concede bad goals with a "oh well.."
We really really need a good captain on this team.

That said, we have had alot of injuries this season, but why do we keep giving contracts to backup players that just arent good enough?
Its better to play with talented youngsters IMO.
Who are the talented youngsters?

People rave about Hannibal and Gernacho but they play even worse than the senior players quite frankly

TomSkalle

Who are the talented youngsters?

People rave about Hannibal and Gernacho but they play even worse than the senior players quite frankly
What i meant was that i would really rather prefer talented yougsters getting needed experience, instead of using proven mediocre players.
I think Hannibal was bad last game, but he was quite good the game before.
And Garnacho has had a couple of bad starters, but i would rather have Garnacho playing bad over Rashford play bad every game because he never gets rested.
And Garnacho needs experience in starting games. He is a raw talent atm.

For the love of everything that is holy, give me some likes, this 3 posts a day is getting old real fast.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It is an issue. He is shit and to give a long term contract is stupid.
He's not good enough to be a starter but he's a good squad player as can play right or left back

Plays regularly for Portugal so clearly not totally useless

We could easily sell him for more than we paid and his wages are not too crazy, so he's actually one of the few decent transfers of recent times

NZT-One

He has 85k£ in weekly salary
To put that into context, its quite low comparing to other united players.
So he has gotten a "cover" salary wich are understandable.
If he improves, im guessing he will get a better contract.

Players like Donny and Lindeløf are on 120k£.
Harry Maguire 189k£
Martial 250k£

Highest paid at United are Casemiro at 350k£.
Thanks for adding some numbers.

I agree, among United players, this sounds like a rather low number. But if we want to sell him, his relative numbers to United team mates aren't relevant. For example Rico Henry is on 35k, Livramento is on 50k... Obviously, it is better than giving him 110 of course, but we've seen what those situation can produce. Other clubs just won't buy players who aren't really good but on high wages.

Plus: if what he delivers to this day warrants almost 100k per week, what do you do if he really does well for a year or so? I think, we should be monitoring wage structure pretty strictly and not simply go over those topics with "yeah thats fine, DVB earns even more".

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes a cover fullback at United and can cover both RB and LB, it would have been stupid to not have given him a new contract with the squad gaps we have. He is also not on large wages.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only extensions our players deserve are cable extensions for when their charger can't reach power outlet

KD6-3.7

Constantly extending average players contract with significant pay rises is why we always get stuck with them.

Can’t wait for us to extend Lindelof’s contract as well.

led_scholes

He has been decent this season and abysmal in one game. I do think that in 1-2 years, if he hasn't improved, he should be sold. And I m sure that we won't make any loss on him (except if we decide to keep him for 3 years but don'tuuse him at all).

He is a regular/squad player for us and Portugal, he can definitely be sold around 25 millions.

Kinky Melinky

People always seem to defend Dalot, but the thing is he's been here years and not only could I not tell you what he's good at,but I'd struggle with explaining what he isn't terrible at. Every area of his game is his main weakness, and on top of that he's consistently one of the chief culprits with the panicking, sulking, jogging lazily about, etc.

So actually I do think he's an example of our flawed recruitment, because he wouldn't be a back up at another top 6 club, he'd have been replaced 2 years ago.
Precisely

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He has been decent this season and abysmal in one game. I do think that in 1-2 years, if he hasn't improved, he should be sold. And I m sure that we won't make any loss on him (except if we decide to keep him for 3 years but don'tuuse him at all).

He is a regular/squad player for us and Portugal, he can definitely be sold around 25 millions.
He wouldn't be a squad player at almost any team currently above us in the table unless he massively bucked his ideas up, and that tells you something about why we are where we are.

That goal he conceded vs Zaha. If you saw a defender at City do that, you wouldn't see them in the team again, because it was utterly pathetic and costs the whole team. If they did it regularly as Dalot does they'd be sold.

and I'm picking on Dalot, but Martial has lasted 5 managers and he's still getting picked. Pogba shit stirred for a good 3 years and only left because his contract ran out. Lindelof still visibly wimps out of challenging for headers in his own area, as a centreback...how many years has he been here now and we still havent decided this is a problem?

It's not so much a recruitment issue. Some if not all of these players are capable of doing better. The problem is we recruit them and then dont seem to require them to do any better. You call Dalot a squad player but he made 42 appearances last season, he's only failed to appear in 1 game this season. That isn't telling him he needs to start improving or cutting out the calamity garbage.