Dalot signs a new contract until 2028(+1)

greater wall

Hes a cover fullback at United and can cover both RB and LB, it would have been stupid to not have given him a new contract with the squad gaps we have. He is also not on large wages.
I don't mind him providing he covers both sides. He has been played as a right back when we needed a left back desperately. Lindelof wouldn't look like a fish out of water if he was played as a right back.

led_scholes

He wouldn't be a squad player at almost any team currently above us in the table unless he massively bucked his ideas up, and that tells you something about why we are where we are.

That goal he conceded vs Zaha. If you saw a defender at City do that, you wouldn't see them in the team again, because it was utterly pathetic and costs the whole team. If they did it regularly as Dalot does they'd be sold.

and I'm picking on Dalot, but Martial has lasted 5 managers and he's still getting picked. Pogba shit stirred for a good 3 years and only left because his contract ran out. Lindelof still visibly wimps out of challenging for headers in his own area, as a centreback...how many years has he been here now and we still havent decided this is a problem?

It's not so much a recruitment issue. Some if not all of these players are capable of doing better. The problem is we recruit them and then dont seem to require them to do any better. You call Dalot a squad player but he made 42 appearances last season, he's only failed to appear in 1 game this season. That isn't telling him he needs to start improving or cutting out the calamity garbage.
I meant that he should be treated as a squad player who can cover both RB and LB. The issue is that both him and AWB should be treated as squad players, so in theory we should have sold one last summer or at least in the coming summer. I think you exaggerate on how bad he is though. I think he would be an OK squad player for any team bar City. I am certain most were adamant that Darmian for example was a pathetic player but he is now a regular on Inter and has even been recalled in Italy.

And I agree re Martial (we can include McT, Lindelof and many others too) that he has overstayed about 3 years more.

One issue is that mediocre players are overstaying and another is that we demand too much from them and can't utilize them at their best, while maximizing their potential (and value).

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's not good enough to be a starter but he's a good squad player as can play right or left back

Plays regularly for Portugal so clearly not totally useless

We could easily sell him for more than we paid and his wages are not too crazy, so he's actually one of the few decent transfers of recent times
International football is wank and he won’t face much decent opponents until the major tournaments.

He looks good on paper, until you realise he constantly runs into dead ends with his dribbles and his crosses always hits the first defender or he over hits it and it’s impossible for anyone else to reach it.

Less said about his defending the better. Oh and he’s useless in the air despite his size and height. He and Lindelof are walking proof that you don’t actually need to know how to defend to be a defender in modern football.

Stadjer

Hes a cover fullback at United and can cover both RB and LB, it would have been stupid to not have given him a new contract with the squad gaps we have. He is also not on large wages.
Yeah fully agree. One player who can cover two positions and at a level that is good enough if the team he plays in isnt a bad team. He doesnt cost that much either. This season he played some bad games but also some good games. Most of his games have been just like him, average. He plays too often but he is fine as squad or rotation player. Dont see why people make such a problem out of this. John O'Shea wasnt a great player but in a good team he was usefull. Dalot can play such a role too.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Yeah fully agree. One player who can cover two positions and at a level that is good enough if the team he plays in isnt a bad team. He doesnt cost that much either. This season he played some bad games but also some good games. Most of his games have been just like him, average. He plays too often but he is fine as squad or rotation player. Dont see why people make such a problem out of this. John O'Shea wasnt a great player but in a good team he was usefull. Dalot can play such a role too.
Dalot doesn't have the finesse to score a lob like O'Shea did vs Arsenal. I saw O'Shea put in a MOTM performance in a CL semi final, which I wouldn't trust Dalot to do. A more apt comparison would be Buttner and even then I'm unsure if Dalot is as good going forward as Buttner was.

Stadjer

Dalot doesn't have the finesse to score a lob like O'Shea did vs Arsenal. I saw O'Shea put in a MOTM performance in a CL semi final, which I wouldn't trust Dalot to do. A more apt comparison would be Buttner and even then I'm unsure if Dalot is as good going forward as Buttner was.
Buttner couldnt even get in our national team when we didnt have any left backs while Dalot took Manchester City and former 'best' Premier League right back Cancelo his spot during last World Cup. A horrible comparison even without taking in consideration that Buttner couldnt defend at all. Put O'Shea in this squad and he will look like a terrible player too. All his weaknesses will be on full show. Put Dalot in front of van der Sar with Vidic and Ferdinand next to him and he would look better too. Put Scholes or Carrick close to him to pass to and he will look even better.

O'Shea might have had a very good CL final game but it is possible for a player to perform way above his level at a certain moment. Really good players can have average games while average players can have really good games. One game isnt any proof of how good a player is. Only thing to conclude from that is that O'Shea wasnt afraid and had a strong mentality but that was also a trait that SAF teams had. That said, there doesnt seem to be much wrong with Dalot his mentality.

You are just looking back with rose tinted glasses at O'Shea because he was usefull during a very succesfull period. Dalot is good enough to be a squad player in almost any succesfull team and he can even cover for two spots.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Buttner couldnt even get in our national team when we didnt have any left backs while Dalot took Manchester City and former 'best' Premier League right back Cancelo his spot during last World Cup. A horrible comparison even without taking in consideration that Buttner couldnt defend at all. Put O'Shea in this squad and he will look like a terrible player too. All his weaknesses will be on full show. Put Dalot in front of van der Sar with Vidic and Ferdinand next to him and he would look better too. Put Scholes or Carrick close to him to pass to and he will look even better.

O'Shea might have had a very good CL final game but it is possible for a player to perform way above his level at a certain moment. Really good players can have average games while average players can have really good games. One game isnt any proof of how good a player is. Only thing to conclude from that is that O'Shea wasnt afraid and had a strong mentality but that was also a trait that SAF teams had. That said, there doesnt seem to be much wrong with Dalot his mentality.

You are just looking back with rose tinted glasses at O'Shea because he was usefull during a very succesfull period. Dalot is good enough to be a squad player in almost any succesfull team and he can even cover for two spots.
I don't hold too much weight in the team selection from a national team manager considering Jordan Henderson is still getting starts for England.

While I agree that O'Shea's weaknesses would be exposed in this current team, I don't see how putting Vidic and Ferdinand next to Dalot would stop him from switching off and losing his man like he did vs Newcastle, nor do I see how putting Scholes and Carrick close to him would ensure that most of his crosses aren't either overhit or underhit.

The fact that he can cover LB and RB is one of his only strengths, but that shouldn't have been enough to warrant a 5 year contract. We need to stop rewarding mediocrity and start being more ruthless with letting players go.

I've seen similar arguments used in favour of Lindelof. "He's an okay squad player", but when those squad players are regularly costing you games then we can't be giving them new contracts. Instead we should be going for squad players with better ability.

city-puma

Dalot is a much better player overall than Reguilon as fullback. He is on a reasonable salary level (just take a look how much Anthony earns). I don’t understand why people bash him here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

OShea could literally play any position and still put in a good performance, including goalkeeper.
literally the type of player you’d want in your squad. I wish we had an OShea in our squad now. Very underrated player.

Last edited:

Marwood

Nah Dalot is as good as Oshea. At the very least. And I'm not a particularly a fan of Dalot.

I say this a lot here but you have to consider the teams players featured in when drawing comparisons. Good teams make average players look better.

To get a true evaluation of where a player like Oshea was, check his post United career. A mid to lower Premier League player. Which is where Dalot is really.

Varun1

We may as well have kept Brandon if we wanted an average player to cover both positions. At least with Brandon he has the passion, and potential to improve. I don't even rate Brandon but I rate Dalot even less. Dalot showed promise in his first few games, but otherwise he has been shite. IMO, he has barely improved in his time with us.

The whole RB situation is appaling, how we bought AWB who has/had a poor attitude at a time when we were apparently putting more focus on player's attitude, how we ended up buying 2 expensive RBs in consecutive summers, how both are average, why we didn't sell Dalot after a good season at Milan...

Dalot and all those average players we've amassed is a sign of the times at United. Bad decisions compounded by even worse decisions. I used to think that the people working for football clubs knew better, that there was a reason behind their decisions, then I look at United over the past few years and I genuinely think some fans could have done a better job.

Last edited:

Varun1

OShea could literally play any position and still put in a good performance, including goalkeeper.
literally the type of player you’d want in your squad. I wish we had an OShea in our squad now. Very underrated player.
Exactly, O'Shea was a model professional who gave his best in any position. Dalot isn't good enough to lick his boots.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Nah Dalot is as good as Oshea. At the very least. And I'm not a particularly a fan of Dalot.

I say this a lot here but you have to consider the teams players featured in when drawing comparisons. Good teams make average players look better.

To get a true evaluation of where a player like Oshea was, check his post United career. A mid to lower Premier League player. Which is where Dalot is really.
A) That was when O'Shea was in his 30s and on the decline.
B) Dalot wouldn't make it into a mid table starting 11. Teams like West Ham and Forest wouldn't start him.

golden_blunder

Staff

Watch the video above and tell me which player you’d choose out of the 2.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Next time people will say that Antony is as good as Park Ji-sung.

Unbelievable.

Stadjer

Watch the video above and tell me which player you’d choose out of the 2.
Yes that is totally fair... A video of the whole of John O'Shea his carreer best moments in a period when O'Shea played in a team of worldclass players, coached by the best manager of all time, that dominated England and also Europe at certain times versus Dalot who plays in a team without any world class player during a Manchester United crisis period. Put Dalot in that team and he will look much better too.

Im not even a Dalot fan but i dont think he is much worse at playing football than John O'Shea. Both can be usefull squad players for a team that is competiting to win the big prizes. A five year contract might seem long but for a back up options for two spots, that likely could also be sold since he isnt on that much money and is part of the Portugal team, i dont think it is as bad as some people are trying to make it be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
O’Shea was a squad player for one our greatest ever teams. Dalot would have been sold by that team within a year.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes that is totally fair... A video of the whole of John O'Shea his carreer best moments in a period when O'Shea played in a team of worldclass players, coached by the best manager of all time, that dominated England and also Europe at certain times versus Dalot who plays in a team without any world class player during a Manchester United crisis period. Put Dalot in that team and he will look much better too.

Im not even a Dalot fan but i dont think he is much worse at playing football than John O'Shea. Both can be usefull squad players for a team that is competiting to win the big prizes. A five year contract might seem long but for a back up options for two spots, that likely could also be sold since he isnt on that much money and is part of the Portugal team, i dont think it is as bad as some people are trying to make it be.
Look I’m not a Dalot hater by any means but OShea had skills even at a young age that we haven’t seen - great in the air, an accomplished finisher, good crosser and multi positional. There’s no shame for Dalot in not being as good as player A or B. He just needs to be the best version of himself and be better than our current fullbacks

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is much better than Buttner. And while O’Shea was a great player (and a better one than Dalot) if we’re using this logic then Darren Gibson was the second coming of Lothar Matthäus.

singhters

He's ok, needs to stop ball watching and actually watch his man, re watch that first goal newcastle scored in the league cup.

AndyMUFC86

Sorry to say but Dalot is miles off the level we should be looking at. We need to move him on and replace with far better!

redmanx

What is it about Manchester United rewarding so-so players with long contracts and pay increases? No way would Dalot get into City, Arsenal, Newcastle or just about any of the teams above us. Manchester United has become a charity for those players who were never good enough or are past their prime!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What is it about Manchester United rewarding so-so players with long contracts and pay increases? No way would Dalot get into City, Arsenal, Newcastle or just about any of the teams above us. Manchester United has become a charity for those players who were never good enough or are past their prime!
Our recruiting team thinks it's always a great idea to extend contracts because if you don't need the player, at least you can sell them for profit...

Meanwhile, we likely have EPL's largest cache of overpaid players we cannot sell

redmanx

Our recruiting team thinks it's always a great idea to extend contracts because if you don't need the player, at least you can sell them for profit...

Meanwhile, we likely have EPL's largest cache of overpaid players we cannot sell
And when was the last time we actually made a profit selling one of our players?

Zoo

More and more people are seeing what he really is

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Another EtH masterclass of a signing.......well extension anyway.

5 years of a player that can't do anything very well.

amolbhatia50k

Keep saying it - last season one of the two RBs had to go and Awb proved himself the better. After one decent purple patch Dalot has never ever been good enough for this football club. A case study in how one gets their foot in the door at United and somehow manages to stay for way longer than necessary. His ‘defending’ this season has been something else.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Cost us big time today. He's had his chances and proved he is not of the required level.

amolbhatia50k

It doesn’t take much here. Even our fans love handing out the ‘decent squad player / option’ line. I’m sure the club have the same mindset of releasing in mediocrity so they don’t have to buy and more importantly sell.

atkar83

So now we’ve protected his value with a new contract, can we flog him for a few quid and get a decent FB?
We've protected his value so well that other clubs say "that valuation is too protected, not interested". Thats money talk, we wouldn't get it.

mu4c_20le

Decent on the ball but defends like a cardboard cutout. Just gets bent over.

Romez

Reading through this thread is hilarious.

Atrocious defender.

Should have been binned off ages ago. We sent him on loan because we deemed him not good enough then Milan didn't want him because they deemed him not good enough. Now here he is still in the squad fresh off a 5 year contract extension.

WTF.