Dalot signs a new contract until 2028(+1)

Chungy

Amazed at the positivity in here. This player is miles away from the standard required for a team hoping to be challenging for the title.

Baffling.
If anything, it's baffling that there's so much negativity about this from some people.
He's relatively young and hasn't played that much first team football before (so probably still has quite a lot of room for development).
He's on relatively low wages, and has sell-on value even if he doesn't progress that much more.
He's shown that he can improve, and clearly suits Ten Hag's system.
He's versatile and can play LB relatively well as well (or has people forgotten how he filled in at LB after Malacia's nightmare?)
And with FFP, even with new owners, there's a real limit as to how much we can spend this summer.

Really, I'm not sure if I can see a real downside to this deal. At worst, he could be sold on in winter or next summer without a huge loss. What's people's problem with this deal? Even during SAF's years, we've had average squad players who's stayed because they can be relied upon to put in a shift when need be (O'Shae, Brown, etc....). With the overhaul that's needed in this squad, an average RB who can still improve is hardly someone we should throw away this summer. (People clearly plays too much FM and believe that we can replace half of the first team squad and half the substitutes in one summer....., I recommend people to actually learn a bit about modern football first....)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I thought he was outstanding the first half of the season. Sort of playing a hybrid role as a fullback ticking into midfield. Some of his play was excellent. Second half of the season back to being bang average.

Lights Out

If anything, it's baffling that there's so much negativity about this from some people.
He's relatively young and hasn't played that much first team football before (so probably still has quite a lot of room for development).
He's on relatively low wages, and has sell-on value even if he doesn't progress that much more.
He's versatile and can play LB relatively well as well (or has people forgotten how he filled in at LB after Malacia's nightmare?)
And with FFP, even with new owners, there's a real limit as to how much we can spend this summer.

Really, I'm not sure if I can see a real downside to this deal. At worst, he could be sold on in winter or next summer without a huge loss. What's people's problem with this deal? Even during SAF's years, we've had average squad players who's stayed because they can be relied upon to put in a shift when need be (O'Shae, Brown, etc....). With the overhaul that's needed in this squad, an average RB who can still improve is hardly someone we should throw away this summer. (People clearly plays too much FM and believe that we can replace half of the first team squad and half the substitutes in one summer....., I recommend people to actually learn a bit about modern football first....)
Oh, my.

Have you actually watched anything of United in the last 10 years?

Have you noticed the constant trend of extending players contracts, and doubling their wages, for players that simply aren’t good enough?!

And then, have you ever noticed how difficult it is to sell these sub-par players on inflated wages?!?!

Maybe you should actually give FM a go - you might actually learn something.

Mas Risky

Amazed at the positivity in here. This player is miles away from the standard required for a team hoping to be challenging for the title.

Baffling.
Oh, my.

Have you noticed the constant trend of extending players contracts, and doubling their wages, for players that simply aren’t good enough?!

And then, have you ever noticed how difficult it is to sell these sub-par players on inflated wages?!?!

Even a club like Real Madrid has Jesus Vallejo, Odriozola, and Mariano Diaz. It's always a positive to have a versatile squad player.

And you are contradicting yourself. If you want us to be a title-challenging team, then how much money we get from selling deadwood should be our least concern, especially for fans like us.

Big clubs hoard young players on their books until they are past their prime.

daba

For me this surely means ETH wants a RB that can play the inverted role, and potentially spelling then end for AWB here.

I actually like AWB and will miss having him as an option shut out literallly any LW in the world no matter the stage, but to dominate the ball across the pitch we simply need all players to be at a certain technical and tactical level.

Dalot has that and still has a lot of room to progress IMO. Hopefully see ETH go back for Timber as I think he’s perfect for that role and of course can fill in at CB too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
600k per week sounds more like prime Mike Tyson's salary of todays standard.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Simply means we will make some good money from AwB sale.

redsunited

He is a good player, not United first XI quality yet.

As wingers are changed to inside forwards, crossing is left to fullbacks. I would prefer United go for fullbacks who is good in crossing.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

Agree with most of what you’ve said but the bold.
He was a regular at Milan and after 3 seasons of active senior action aged 24, doubt he still qualifies as lacking much first team action or experience.

Chungy

Oh, my.

If you haven't noticed, Ten Hag's actually dropped and let go as many sub-par players that he don't want as he can.
And unlike the Lingard, Baillys of the past, he's not injury prone, he will get games unless we buy 2 new RBs, he's 24, his first big contract, even for an average RB at a big club like Man Utd, is hardly on high wages.
If anything, this situation's more like the Jonny Evans of the past, whereby we keep the player while we need to use our limited funds to upgrade other parts of the squad, and when we get round to upgrading our RBs, we could sell him for a slight profit/loss.
So if anything, I think it's basic cognitive skills that you need.

Chungy

Agree with most of what you’ve said but the bold.
He was a regular at Milan and after 3 seasons of active senior action aged 24, doubt he still qualifies as lacking much first team action or experience.

What I mean is that compared to other RBs of his age, he still hasn't clocked up the same amount of minutes, so he should be a player that can peak when he's 28, 30, as opposed to peaking at around 24, 26, and he shouldn't become so injury-prone so easily either.

foolsgold

It's not a big wage at all, takes him to what's probably average numbers in the squad. He's just coming into his prime and offers options on both flanks.

It's a good bit of business, and if it doesn't work out, he's not going to be impossible to shift due to being on a stupid contract like Martial.

Bondi77

AWB is the virtually the same age and is first choice RB and posters on here think we want to sell him??
The only way I see him leaving is if he is homesick for London and has expressed a desire to leave otherwise he is staying put.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Deserved an extension

5 years plus 1?

He'd be 29 by the end of it and we could go down the I'm settled for life Martial route.

Just give them 2 plus 1 ffs. It's not like they're Messi
Usually, younger players get longer contracts in order to avoid losing them on a free in case they succeed. If every player who gets a 5 year contract extension has Martial's attitude, then football would be a large scale sleeping pill.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Usually, younger players get longer contracts in order to avoid losing them on a free in case they succeed. If every player who gets a 5 year contract extension has Martial's attitude, then football would be a large scale sleeping pill.
100k is not squad player price

If he's that good we would pay more no problem along the way. If he's that good he wont accept less and would want a new contract regardless of how long he still have remaining. If he's not good enough for one reason or the other we're stuck with a mediocre overpriced deadwood all over again

If he indeed becomes 2-3x the player i doubt he wont be swayed by Madrid when they comes knocking

Point is. Why pay them that high when they haven't even showed anything

How do you think we ended up with Martial, Jones, baily, lindeloft, maguire and now Sancho. Nobody would touch him on 300k per week or whatever obscene amount his salary is

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Deserved an extension

5 years plus 1?

He'd be 29 by the end of it and we could go down the I'm settled for life Martial route.

Just give them 2 plus 1 ffs. It's not like they're Messi
And if they have a good season or two we’ll be extending and giving a raise again a year or two later. Plus paying out additional agent & signing-on fees.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
100k is not squad player price
I get what you are saying but actually 100k per week is just about right for a player like him. If you look at what others earn, 100 is not that much. For a star player or very important player, we pay well over 200k weekly.

The reality is that we have a history of paying underachievers for some time now, us and City pay the biggest salaries in the league, but we are no way near City in terms of trophies.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

His final ball is atrocious nine times out of ten. The rest of his attributes are, on varying levels, pretty much what you'd expect from a modern full-back.

I can see why he got the new deal, but, admittedly, he still has a long way to go until he reaches the desirable level. And having good full-backs has become a prerequisite nowadays.

On one hand, this feels like a manager's decision more than any time before. ETH took a player whose status was between the bench and the stands and turned him into a first-team option. On the other, it seems that some old habits are hard to break. (More than) Doubling a player's salary for four months of good football and offering a long-term deal is still classic United.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
And if they have a good season or two we’ll be extending and giving a raise again a year or two later. Plus paying out additional agent & signing-on fees.
If we get to that point. Hallelujah.

Basically he's not good enough atm. We're banking on him continuing his trajectory and not dipping off. Pretty big risk.

I'm happy to be proven wrong. But if I'm a betting man he's gonna be our next Martial

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’ve very much been in the AWB camp this season but then Dalot showed that in the absense of Shaw we can have both.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good one, hopefully he will play like he did in the first half of the season.

dalriada

For a player who was brought in by Mourinho and was said to be one of the most promising full backs around, he's taken his time to show any great quality, especially in the defensive aspects of his game. You could say he's suffered from the changes of management and footballing styles, and AWB's recent form has given him competition. It's not a case of him or AWB, though and doesn't mean the latter is on his way out. We can't function with just one established right back.
My reading would be that ETH has other priorities before he looks at replacing his right backs, unless there's someone already lined up in his thinking, in which case AWB would become third choice.

Aint gota Kalou

He's definitely improved this season. Was a highly rated prospect and can cover a couple of full back positions. for once the salary reported is reasonable so I think it's a good extension.

He needs to now kick on further but at the worst he's a flexible squad option

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
What I mean is that compared to other RBs of his age, he still hasn't clocked up the same amount of minutes, so he should be a player that can peak when he's 28, 30, as opposed to peaking at around 24, 26, and he shouldn't become so injury-prone so easily either.
Ok. Upon reading it leaned on him being inexperienced and fans are expecting too much too soon.
Injuries just happen when they happen and I doubt any sensible club will give contracts with a “what if injuries?” taking precedence over capability.

Partridge

I'm glad he is staying. I liked him when I first saw him bombing forward, in his early days. He has improved alot since then. It's a win for us. He will improve alot under ten hag

Todd

He has improved, but he's probably never going to be good enough.

I'd like to keep AWB for those matches where we really need to lock down an opponent's winger, because he's one of the best 1v1 defenders in the league, but Dalot should be sold now. We need to be all-in on bringing Frimpong in if he's available.

PieCrust

I don't rate him and seems excessive for a squad player. But maybe that's the going rate. We have bigger problems than RB, so I guess.

Oscar Bonavena

I was surprised when I heard he got a 5 year contract. He's an OK squad player but not, I would contend, the type of player who would be in the first XI of a team challenging for PL or CL (which I assume is the medium term target of the club).

I'm not sure what this means for AWB. I prefer AWB to Dalot as he's a bigger, faster and stronger defender, and while he looks more awkward on the ball than Dalot, I don't think there's a discernable difference in their offensive output (which is to say, not great for either, although AWB improved this season I think).

It'll be an usual scenario if we're keeping Dalot, selling AWB, yet AWB looks almost certain to start the FA Cup Final on Saturday! That doesn't make any sense to me!

DevTheRed

I do like him.. and if you’ve based it off his form at the start of the season I don’t think anyone would be complaining. Just the drop off after the WC was quite concerning. He’s a good back up who can cover both flanks but we do need a better starter.

But more than happy for him to extend if we can strengthen other areas for now.. maybe revisit RB next summer.

NoPace

I think it's probably smart for us to just keep the current RBs for now and spend elsewhere. Should be able to sell Dalot or AWB next summer and upgrade if we can/need to.

Dalot I think could still develop a tad. 24 but only played about 180 top level games, so same as Malacia basically.

Passitlikescholes

I really don't understand people complaining about Dalot and AWB, they're both more than serviceable for our first team requirements and winning titles.

With an unknown future of who our owners are going to be and how much they're going to budget for our transfers/wages, how are people expecting us to get into a bidding war, with other top clubs from around Europe, for the "best of the best" in every position, especially given the lacklustre attraction the club currently holds (when compared to other European giants).

RB just isn't a high enough priority for us at the moment, CM and ST are the main positions we should be going all out for and if we are to get strong players for those positions, we ease defensive pressure on our backline, which may allow Dalot/AWB to spend further time up the pitch and better options of who to pass the ball to, hence enhancing Dalot/AWB's attacking play.

The manager clearly sees them as serviceable after the season both have had.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Handing an average defender like Dalot a new 5 year deal needs a criminal investigation.