Dalot signs a new contract until 2028(+1)

kaku06

He’s no where close to worthy of being a squad player. Awful player.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Another very un-O'Shea like performance tonight. Those comparisons were insane. O'Shea was solid at a few things. Dalot is below average at most things.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jose really did the dirty on us
Wasn’t he like sent on loan for some time with his United career looking dead? I have no idea how he crawled back into the first team which then allowed him to have that one decent spell every player needs to win a spot for life at this club.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's our worst player imo.

We constantly concede crucial or momentum changing goals because he can't behave like a professional.

Making a mistake is one thing and not being good enough ok, but he let's goals in because he just doesn't seem to want to do basic things.

You won't see other teams at our level ever concede goals like that one tonight because whoever they play at fullback would just never let that happen

We've lost 3 of the 4 group games by a single goal, and all three have involved Dalot costing us a goal with a frankly unbelievably bad piece of defending, at a time it's also completely swung the momentum.

RedDevilRoshi

Wasn’t he like sent on loan for some time with his United career looking dead? I have no idea how he crawled back into the first team which then allowed him to have that one decent spell every player needs to win a spot for life at this club.
He was indeed sent on loan and played against us for Milan in the EL.

Beggars belief how he is still here.

McFred

However bad the basic decision to extend his deal is - I cannot understand why in gods name it was a FIVE year extension…honest to Christ, what is the thinking there?

BarstoolProphet

The same way deadwood players has managed to stay on for years - everyone gets a "clean slate" under new management, despite the years of clear evidence that this is like flogging a dead horse. Some manages to play okay-ish for a small period, others just turn into impossible to sell due to wages/club demands.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Diogo has done very well of late - in part due to his ability to be the only fit fullback at the club - but no need to drag up old threads with the benefit of hindsight and start being holier than thou - you’re better than that!
Just find it funny when people start comparing him to Büttner and claiming he wouldn’t start for bottom PL clubs, being shit to average at everything etc.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Just find it funny when people start comparing him to Büttner and claiming he wouldn’t start for bottom PL clubs, being shit to average at everything etc.
You are spot on, we are very harsh when someone is playing bad but not one new post about his great form and how he has stepped up when we really needed him.

Him and McTominey have done more for us this season then stars like Antony, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Mount, Casemiro etc

Last edited:

CasaStreets

Great article on the Athletic this month - really delighted for the guy.

Comes here at age 19, spends last 5+ years surrounded by more than a few negative, unprofessional personalities, in an occasionally toxic dressing room for many of his formative playing years. While many fans, myself included, probably treating him much harsher than we would an academy product of the same age.

Wasn’t good enough, puts his head down, works his socks off, sent on loan, has active competition for his starting place, but stays a consummate professional by all accounts - vocally in support of his managers, teammates, fans.

Never stopped working, kept improving, tons of growth. Monster mentality on the field - always fired up, always hustling for his teammates. Apparently very diligent in the off-field parts of the job as well. Finally getting his rewards.

Honestly think that this season he’s been among the elite RBs in world football and one of the few starters most here would be happy to stay - capable of playing a part in a squad that achieves things. Glad we locked him in for the long haul.

This all used to be a relatively common player journey/progression at United, just happy to see it these days. Player of the season so far for me.

Vernon Philander

Diogo has done very well of late - in part due to his ability to be the only fit fullback at the club - but no need to drag up old threads with the benefit of hindsight and start being holier than thou - you’re better than that!
@top1whoisman is completely right, though. Take a look at Dalots performance thread - it’s full of posters who cannot admit they made a mistake in calling this guy “worst player I’ve ever seen play for the club”. Needs calling out

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Eh? This is the Hindsight Cafe isn't it?

Sir Erik ten Hag

The North remembers! :wenger:

Mike Smalling

We have people as late as November claiming he the worst player in our team. Completely over the top, even at that time.

With the rebuild project we have on our hands, I expect him to be a starter for the foreseeable future. The improvement potential is far greater in most other positions.

BarstoolProphet

He has had matches where he looked awful and beyond all repair, but has vastly improved now. Not sure if he's good enough for a title-winning team but he's now the definition of a great squad player to have (with the added bonus of being able to play on both sides). Might even be a certain starter because we need upgrades way more in other positions.

SirAF

Ageist
We have people as late as November claiming he the worst player in our team. Completely over the top, even at that time.

With the rebuild project we have on our hands, I expect him to be a starter for the foreseeable future. The improvement potential is far greater in most other positions.
Totally agree! Long term I don't think he's good enough as a starter, but as you say there are far bigger needs elsewhere.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Might save the club a big whack of money, he is improving so much. Great under pressure player and actually quite entertaining to watch. :D

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Come on there's no need to get carried away.

He played well last night. But he's had similar games in the past and then terrible ones.

Let's see if he can be consistent.

Nogho

The high five man!

The guy is starting to look like a proper player this season. Who could have thought that a year ago!

daveskimufc

There aren't many to compare him to this season, but player of the season (so far) for me. So consistent, recently especially. Gets forward, gets back, some nice touches in mf, getting more and more comfortable with balls played into him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Played really well last night, loved his little spin on the edge of the box before running and crossing. His crossing has really improved. I’m still a fan of AWB too. I think both of them get too much harsh criticism

Bondi77

I can remember posting that Dalot was a better fullback than Antony was a winger and being laughed at.
Some just really do not get it.

top1whoisman

Scout
Come on there's no need to get carried away.

He played well last night. But he's had similar games in the past and then terrible ones.

Let's see if he can be consistent.
He’s been our most consistent player this season.

Zed 101

One of the few success stories from ETH's time, a player sent out on loan who we couldn't shift off our books, rejuvenated and rightly deserving a nailed on place in the 1st 11, yes there are better fullbacks but not many better options within our squad.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

top1whoisman

Scout
I was just surprised that such a comment was posted by @top1whoisman is all. He’s a brilliant and knowledgeable poster, it was a surprise to see him stooping to normal Caf standards!

When in Rome, I guess.
Thanks for the kind words.

Just find the negativity on this forum unbearable at times. Didn’t quote anyone, but I feel calling out bs is sometimes warranted.

Gordon Godot

One of the few success stories from ETH's time, a player sent out on loan who we couldn't shift off our books, rejuvenated and rightly deserving a nailed on place in the 1st 11, yes there are better fullbacks but not many better options within our squad.
He looks good at the moment, that is for sure. Solid enough for now even if still question on his defending

davidmichael

I’ll admit I was wrong with Dalot as he’s been one of our best players this season and is having a very consistent period much like he did before the World Cup, if anything the World Cup derailed him and AWB did the opposite and was very good post World Cup.

This is is why I’ve always said I don’t see right back as a position we need to strengthen in as Dalot and AWB are both very good when in form and offer completely different strengths, if you could combine the two you’d have the best right back in football.

I do always worry about Dalot defensively though and that won’t go away until I see he’s consistently mastered that side of his game, just like I worry about AWB going forward as he can be hit and miss.

parmenio

Hes definitely getting better for sure. He is making his position one of the non primary positions where we need to upgrade come the summer. We definitely need help at LB and CH for sure. With AWB in back up and Dalot RB is not a priority for me. Midfield and up front far more pressing too. Interesting summer for sure. Could be crazy numbers both out and in (Will please the Footy manager lovers.). I am sure the new regime will look at sales far more strategically than Woodward. Incomings to suit needs and strengthen squad / team other than for marketing.

Kostov

The way he is willing to run at players and actually progress the ball is so refreshing compared to the usual garbage being served by our wingers. He is easily becoming one of my favorite players.