Damage done by previous regime

Winrar

We can't keep up the intensity of the style of football Rangnick wants yet, so we predictably revert to type when we run out of energy.

tjb

We can't keep up the intensity of the style of football Rangnick wants yet, so we predictably revert to type when we run out of energy.
Its literally 2 games, people need to give the players a chance too

Crashoutcassius

so first half vs palace was RRs 45 minute session and the 225 mins since have been oles doing?

ronaldo and sancho uncoachable after a couple of months with ole

MrBest

I mean RR has won 66% of his games so far, i think that is pretty good considering one of the games we dropped points was an experiment. Give the guy time before claiming everything is systematically screwed.

Winrar

Its literally 2 games, people need to give the players a chance too
Exactly my point.

Not reading too much into the performances myself, you can at least see what Rangnick is trying to do.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I rather the start we had than the new manager bounce we got under Ole. We need to improve in measured increments for any change to be sustainable. It will take a while (and some choice personnel changes) before we emerge as a pressing team.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I rather the start we had than the new manager bounce we got under Ole. We need to improve in measured increments for any change to be sustainable. It will take a while (and some choice personnel changes) before we emerge as a pressing team.
Curiously enough, teams playing the "gegenpress" don't do too well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
- Ole spent 180m in a defence who couldn't stop leaking goals under him. Ole also saddled us with AWB and Maguire. He basically dictated our present and future policy in defence as there's no way anyone can put an 80m signing on the bench.
- Ole hoarded a ridiculously amount of attacking players. Pogba and Lingard will now leave on free which means a big hit on the new manager's transfer budget while Martial and VDB will leave on peanuts.
- Ole kept and signed many players who are quite frankly no where near to United level. I am referring to the likes of matey Jones, matey Mata, matey Matic, matey McShane and matey Heaton.
- Ole left behind a very inexperienced coaching staff all of whom signing new contracts. The only experienced coach out of the lot isn't anywhere near the training pitch
- Ole couldn't be bothered adding a DM to this team which means that our engine room is basically managed by McFred. These players are mid table level at best.
- Ole left a culture were its normal that players go to Dubai when they get injured, were the manager will feck off to a holiday in the middle of a crisis and were its normal to be one of the laziest team in the EPL as long as everyone is smiling and is happy.

Greck

- Ole spent 180m in a defence who couldn't stop leaking goals under him. Ole also saddled us with AWB and Maguire. He basically dictated our present and future policy in defence as there's no way anyone can put an 80m signing on the bench.
- Ole hoarded a ridiculously amount of attacking players. Pogba and Lingard will now leave on free which means a big hit on the new manager's transfer budget while Martial and VDB will leave on peanuts.
- Ole kept and signed many players who are quite frankly no where near to United level. I am referring to the likes of matey Jones, matey Mata, matey Matic, matey McShane and matey Heaton.
- Ole left behind a very inexperienced coaching staff all of whom signing new contracts. The only experienced coach out of the lot isn't anywhere near the training pitch
- Ole couldn't be bothered adding a DM to this team which means that our engine room is basically managed by McFred. These players are mid table level at best.
- Ole left a culture were its normal that players go to Dubai when they get injured, were the manager will feck off to a holiday in the middle of a crisis and were its normal to be one of the laziest team in the EPL as long as everyone is smiling and is happy.
He had no clue how to rotate and kept hoarding attackers. Squad is now unbalanced. We are overstaffed in attack and severely understaffed in talent everywhere else. The squad is still reliant on Jose's 3 central midfielders His plan was to just amass attacking brilliance. It's very evident Ronaldo and Sancho money should have gone to other areas but he couldn't help himself and didn't know how to build a team beyond buying names. Meanwhile people still have the gall to say the state of the squad got him sacked like it wasn't his incompetence that left it that way in the first place. Why are the likes of Mctominay starting on a team that has Sancho on its bench? Couldn't that money have gone to players who would actually see game time? Proper idiotic squad building.

Ralph1386

3.5 years with no coach would leave any team in ruin.

We are going through a transition after the clowns left, it’ll take time.
Going from “express yourself” to playing as an organized unit where each player knows what they’re doing is going to take time.
Spends half a billion and the team is poor. I can't even tell who's sympathising for Ole anymore. Is the poor state of the squad supposed to make Ole look better? Ole sympathisers were actually better off pretending he built strong foundations for the next man.
I mostly agree with you but poor isn’t right word to describe the squad. It’s unbalanced and not playing to its full potential because the last coaching staff were out of their depth.

Last edited:

Ralph1386

Nothing wrong with McKenna as coaching goes, mate. Unless it's something personal with you and him.
I don’t think he has anything personal against McKenna. Some people’s frustration is with the fact that Ole-Carrick-Phelan-Mckenna were a coaching team who shared responsibilities. When they failed in the end, it’s not fair that two of them left while the others did not share their brunt of the responsibility, and are still here influencing the new manager. Don’t know much about his coaching personally to comment on it.

Greck

Going from “express yourself” to playing as an organized unit where each player knows what they’re doing is going to take time.

I mostly agree with you but poor isn’t right word to describe the squad. It’s unbalanced and not playing to its full potential because the last coaching staff were out of their depth.
That's not my sentiment. I'm addressing people saying it's a poor or overrated squad Ole merely made to look good. I already know it's crazy stuff to suggest a team that added 2 world class attackers to a squad that came 2nd and didn't lose any key pieces can't by any logic be poor, overrated or whatever looney excuse they want to use. And while on the topic of contradictions it's also a big one on their parts to downplay the same squad they used to to praise Ole for assembling. Guess it became convenient to throw it under the bus.

Last edited:

Ixion

It really irritates me when I see people talk about Ole putting together a squad good enough to win the league despite having not challenged at all, not winning a single trophy, and having been smashed by City/Liverpool/the rest. It has done nothing to suggest it can win the league yet people put it like some sort of tick next to Ole's accomplishments.

Bestietom

I don’t think he has anything personal against McKenna. Some people’s frustration is with the fact that Ole-Carrick-Phelan-Mckenna were a coaching team who shared responsibilities. When they failed in the end, it’s not fair that two of them left while the others did not share their brunt of the responsibility, and are still here influencing the new manager. Don’t know much about his coaching personally to comment on it.
Ok Right.

romufc

Where was this when Jose was sacked and McKenna was still here?

Also, I don't think Ralf is naïve either to let McKenna influence his decisions, he will take his opinions on players and then it is the managers decision in the end.

Do you think Its McKenna who decides who starts and the formation?

Real Name

If Ralf lets McKenna influence his decisions and he bases his decisions on what McKenna says to him then we clearly havent hired the right guy.

Ralph1386

Where was this when Jose was sacked and McKenna was still here?

Also, I don't think Ralf is naïve either to let McKenna influence his decisions, he will take his opinions on players and then it is the managers decision in the end.

Do you think Its McKenna who decides who starts and the formation?
Mckenna wasn’t there for the entirety of Jose’s reign, he replaced Rui Faria in Jose’s last season. But an argument could have been made about him going with Jose. He was just new in the first team at the time.

If he cannot influence Ralf at all, then what’s the point of him being there at all?

Ted1985

A culture change takes time, a lot of time. It must be a shock to some players what they have to deal with now compared to how it was under Ole. No more vacation in Dubai if you get injured, you must train/run (get up stamina for geggenpress), you must use your brain (no more freeflow football), more rotation and the club wont kiss your feet, feed you grapes and give you a backrub if you aint happy to be here.

romufc

Mckenna wasn’t there for the entirety of Jose’s reign, he replaced Rui Faria in Jose’s last season. But an argument could have been made about him going with Jose. He was just new in the first team at the time.

If he cannot influence Ralf at all, then what’s the point of him being there at all?
I never said he won't influence Ralf at all, he is a coach and he will give his opinions. What I do know is that, Ralf is experienced enough to not fall for any bullshit. He is clever enough to make judgements on his own too.

McKenna is there to give Ralf his judgement and some kind of continuity. He is also a very highly rated coach, I don't see all the hate towards him tbh.

Smores

It will be Ole's fault for how long? Just so I can make a note.
Well we had people saying Ole needed years to fix the peices he picked up so probably a while.

It would be a bit odd to excuse a manager of any failings after 2 weeks.

Fingeredmouse

It really irritates me when I see people talk about Ole putting together a squad good enough to win the league despite having not challenged at all, not winning a single trophy, and having been smashed by City/Liverpool/the rest. It has done nothing to suggest it can win the league yet people put it like some sort of tick next to Ole's accomplishments.
There's nothing to suggest that a squad which finished second the preceding season and added Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo might fancy improving by one position in the league?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I wonder how much of this particular point was more a board decision to save funds in the transfer market. It was obvious to many these players needed to be shown the exit door.

Greck

Well we had people saying Ole needed years to fix the peices he picked up so probably a while.

Right on the money. Pretty sure the "he's dealing with the mess created by 3 managers" thing was in full effect throughout his stay. If it was okay to talk about Moyes and LVG 5 years later then I'd think the next guy gets a pass to reverse the mismanagement beyond 5 days.

stevoc

He's uncomfortable just keeping it simple and maintaining possession, he tries the Hollywood passes too much, when they just aren't on.
That's true of most players who are the creative focal point of their teams. Is he not top in chance creation in the PL this sason?

If you think every player including Bruno should make it their priority to retain possession then you must have loved the LVG days.

RUCK4444

How much time and money has we given Ole to sort Mourinho's mess? Certainly more then 2 weeks

Yeah it was a joke guys, chill.

I'm fully backing Ralfy boy. That said the main thing that Ole got some time for was the rebuild because we needed to get rid of a lot of deadwood, there are some that claim we are in that position right now again which I don't subscribe to HOWEVER my worry is the team we have may not A) Suit the 4-2-2-2 formation and B) the players may not suit the press. So we may well be in a similar situation where some rebuilding is required, which I will give the new manager time to complete, like I have with every manager.

Ragnick is not here to have us winning games and leagues right now, he is here to put in place the processes for the next manager to do that. There will be a bit of pain as he gets the training and culture back on track. The players liked Ole but he was well off the pace in terms of coaching and training. A few players are going to get a shock, a few more will struggle with it, and some will shine. I only expect top 4 this season but more than that, I expect to see a move towards a defined style of play.

Ole should have gone gracefully in the summer. He did a great job repairing the atmosphere post Mourinho but since then we took significant steps backwards as he neglected many areas of club management. That now needs to be fixed.

stevoc

Yeah it was a joke guys, chill.

I'm fully backing Ralfy boy. That said the main thing that Ole got some time for was the rebuild because we needed to get rid of a lot of deadwood, there are some that claim we are in that position right now again which I don't subscribe to HOWEVER my worry is the team we have may not A) Suit the 4-2-2-2 formation and B) the players may not suit the press. So we may well be in a similar situation where some rebuilding is required, which I will give the new manager time to complete, like I have with every manager.
We definitely don't have a squad suited to 4222. Which then begs the question why are we using that formation?

wolvored

Yep, agree.