Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Is he one of the best? I don't know. Never heard of him before he was linked to us. Tapping up happens all the time but it obviously must be kept a secret. How or why this got leaked out is anybody's guess and everyone's clearly guessing right now. In addition, his job realistically probably requires a shitload of tapping up players.

First impressions count, and his first impression on me is that he is potentially capable of a monumental feck-up.

I'm not necessarily wanting to walk away, and we are probably too far into the deal to do that. But if this is sign of Sir Jim's new 'high standards' of operations, it's a bit of a joke. If I was Bob in the basement IT department, my desk ain't getting cleaned.
Really? He was at the FA for years, was highly rated at Brighton and then when he went to Newcastle that was a pretty big story.

Bright_Eyes

Doesn't this mean both Berrada and Ashworth have potentially broken contracts with previous employers? So they might both have to fight court cases?

Regardless, isn't this a bit of a daft distraction for the club that could have been easily avoided with a tiny amount of discretion by the two? I use Signal just to talk to my friends, it'd be a no brainer to use it or similar for something like this.

spiriticon

Really? He was at the FA for years, was highly rated at Brighton and then when he went to Newcastle that was a pretty big story.
I'm sure he's good enough to warrant our interest, but then everyone's highly rated these days from Monchi to now even Dougie Freedman.

Regardless, I have no wish for us to run a year- long litigation battle with Newcastle. The simpler it can be done, the better.

diarm

Is it attractive for this specific role though, when it seems like your hands are tied by Eddie Howe having his key men already in place. Ashworth for instance was supposedly outside the trusted group.
Perhaps not yeah. Seems crazy if you’ve someone like Dan Ashworth in a role and you’re having him play second fiddle to someone like Eddie Howe.

Doesn’t leave you with the strongest foundations when Howe inevitably gets moved on in the next 12-18 months.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What would that even mean though? Consequences wise? I don't think it financially harms Newcastle, so what are they seeking?
Means he would be in breach of contract, and it directly affects the arbitration on compensation so it does harm Newcastle financially if he shared the terms of what Newcastle paid for him with a competitor.

Laurencio

Would make me all the more suspicious about the tapping up reports. Could be Newcastle trying to cover up the fact they made a complete hames of Ashworth's exit
It would be one hell of a coincidence to leak that at this point. Someone scoured through his e-mails over the past year to find that.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
At Manchester United everything is a drama. Even upper management appointments can't be straight forward. I hope this Ashworth is worth the troble. Will be disappointing if Southgate or Potter are his first order of business.

Cassidy

I get that City dont care, fine. Dan can receive a private e-mail if he wants.
Yes he can, but he can't recieve one where hes been divulging information to a competitor.

peridigm

It would be one hell of a coincidence to leak that at this point. Someone scoured through his e-mails over the past year to find that.
Yup. Most likely lawyers trying to find something since it's going to arbitration. It wouldn't be difficult to find messages using e-discovery tools built into Gsuite or M365 can be done in a matter of minutes. Filtering messages sent/received to outside domains with some keywords and you have instant results. Most users don't know this is possible and think emptying their deleted items folder is all they need to do to cover their tracks.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Yes he can, but he can't recieve one where hes been divulging information to a competitor.
No information was divulged here though, right? I am a bit confused at what is Newcastle's case here. Looks like they are trying to put pressure before the arbitration hearing.

croadyman

I'm sure he's good enough to warrant our interest, but then everyone's highly rated these days from Monchi to now even Dougie Freedman.

Regardless, I have no wish for us to run a year- long litigation battle with Newcastle. The simpler it can be done, the better.
Think that litigation battle has already started

Cassidy

No information was divulged here though, right? I am a bit confused at what is Newcastle's case here. Looks like just trying to put pressure before the arbitration hearing.
Its been reported he sent information on the compensation negotiations and payments between Newcastle and Brighton which took him to Newcastle. information which was not public, had I done this in my job I would be in breach of my contract and competition clause would be invoked.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Its been reported he sent information on the compensation negotiations and payments between Newcastle and Brighton which took him to Newcastle. information which was not public, had I done this in my job I would be in breach of my contract and competition clause would be invoked.
He sent those to Berrada?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Means he would be in breach of contract, and it directly affects the arbitration on compensation so it does harm Newcastle financially if he shared the terms of what Newcastle paid for him with a competitor.
Sure, which is sackable offence, but not sure how that affects compensation? Should we pay more because he breached his contract? I think they will have an extremely tough time arguing how much they are financially harmed by this.

Cassidy

Sure, which is sackable offence, but not sure how that affects compensation? Should we pay more because he breached his contract? I think they will have an extremely tough time arguing how much they are financially harmed by this.
He may need to pay Newcastle (which means we may have to do it for him)
I doubt it though, I think they get the 2.5m or they get nothing because he was effectively fired.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

It will be difficult but how much time will it take? I guess we can't expect Ashworth to join before the window shuts. What happens to our summer window then? Actually, our desire to get a structure up and running? Is next season basically a write off while we try to sort out everything?

Again, I hope he is worth the troble.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Exactly, they are continuing absolutely fine without him. Eddie How said it himself in an interview :lol:

Blood Mage

I'm sure we could have found a perfectly competent sporting director elsewhere for far less hassle than this. It really is in our DNA to do things the hard way.