Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Lemoor

Isn't Berrada on 'gardening leave'

Is he allowed to be saying such things :nervous:
It's Delaney, it's always safe to assume that he knows feck all.
But surely when they were negotiating he could say what type of appointment he prefers for roles he is going to be working with.

whitbyviking

What’s going to be more hilarious is that after losing Ashworth to us, and attempting to charge a daft fee, whoever they choose to recruit next will come with a fee in excess of that. Their own small time mentality will bite them here. Sometimes you just have to take the loss and move on.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No way he’d have been given the green light without Berrada giving his blessing. Why would he take the chief executive job and accept no say on such a vital appointment
Who said no say. I said he was not his pick

Cassidy

its for sure a plan by brailsford but i would assume that they checked it with berrada. ineos seem to be quite good at building a structure
Of course not saying they wouldnt have checked but suggestion he is a Berrada hire/pick is far fetched

Blood Mage

This is not even a player transfer... why so complicated and dramatic. Newcrapstle just want to feck with us. Meanwhile they gave Eddie Howe all the power.
Yeah but he's a highly rated sporting director whom they've only just hired. Plus they see us as direct rivals now.

Uniquim

Honestly, I hope we fork up the money and bring him in asap. Would be our best signing in years. Loving all the changes to our set-up.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Simon Stone saying his gardening period is a year

Manchester United have made an official approach to Newcastle for their sporting director Dan Ashworth.

The Red Devils have made Ashworth a key target as the Ineos Group look to revolutionise the club's structures.
Earlier on Monday, Newcastle confirmed Ashworth had been placed on gardening leave after requesting his release.

Manchester United believe they are in a strong negotiating position as Newcastle will have to pay the 52-year-old during his leave.

However, Newcastle feel they are also in a strong position, given how keen Manchester United are to bring in the man widely acknowledged as one of football's most effective sporting directors.

The Magpies have Ashworth under a contract that prevents him from working for anyone else into 2025 unless compensation is agreed.

They believe they will be within their rights to ask Manchester United for a fee well in excess of £10m.
If it’s only a year that gives United plenty of leverage to negotiate the figure down. As of the summer, that’s 6 months left so £10m becomes £5m. Only the club decide that we are happy to wait until February for the sake of a few more months. Or they could take a few million now and not be paying him £3.5m for the next year and be 6m-£7m better off.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Gardening Leave is a nonsense. Nobody ever observes it. It’s a technical issue, and is a pain more than an absolute hindrance.

Amir

They wouldn’t be this salty if he was not worth it in my opinion. As it is right now they’re acting like a 14 year old whose crush has just said she doesn’t like him.
I'm sure he's worth it, but people tend to be salty when they give someone a big role and he leaves after a year.

cyberman

Agree but that is besides the point. Ashworth is not his pick regardless
But we don’t know? And we’ll never know.
same way this Jewell fella and the Ex Brighton man at Chelsea seems to be Dans pick to work alongside him and the club seem to be waiting to sort this mess out with Newcastle before we approach them for the same legal reason.

croadyman

Look at these children, pretending to be journalists :lol:

Yeah can see a battle between Utd and Newcastle journos. So I am thinking Whitwell v Hope, Ducker v Edwards and Luckhurst v Wilson

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
I think the lengthly gardening leave/non competitive clause only applied when his next employer is a football club. It could be circulate by hiring him by INEOS sport first and then release him on the mark of of the expiry of non cmpetitive clause.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I think the lengthly gardening leave/non competitive clause only applied when his next employer is a football club. It could be circulate by hiring him by INEOS sport first and then release him on the mark of of the expiry of non cmpetitive clause.
I really don’t think that would hold up. Otherwise a club could just set up a shell company and “employ” someone through that. He’ll join when the compensation is agreed between the parties. End of story.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
All this stuff is great.

Barrada, Ashworth etc. love where we’re going.

But Sir Jim is still only owning 25% of shares and the glazers still own the club. The debt is still there and the glazers will take dividends.

truthfully we’re not in that much of a better state than before until the leaches are truly gone unless there’s a hell of a lot more to this deal than we know.
I love Caprisun.
Truthfully it tastes like piss.

Tarrou

this is just daft

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I really don’t think that would hold up. Otherwise a club could just set up a shell company and “employ” someone through that. He’ll join when the compensation is agreed between the parties. End of story.
Under such circumstances ineos can pay the release without affecting ffp

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
All of this will be covered in a very long, very dour contract of employment.
Which has a release clause. Newcastle wants their pound of flesh. They need it to save face + for FFP reasons. They can't be arsed who'll pay it in the end.

We need an rvn

Make your mind up :lol:
My point about not being in a better position was the glazers still own most of the club, the debt is still there and needs servicing.

so whilst I’m applauding the new set up, it’s hard to still look past who owns the club and the massive debt hanging over us - and yes, I fully appreciate companies have debt and sometimes it can be good to have a bit of debt for tax

so until sir J owns a majority stake in the club and the debt because less of a burden, it might be we’re just painting over the cracks still

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
The whole thing is just absurd that no one would pay hefty "Transfer fee" to get an football administrator before.

Cassidy

But we don’t know? And we’ll never know.
same way this Jewell fella and the Ex Brighton man at Chelsea seems to be Dans pick to work alongside him and the club seem to be waiting to sort this mess out with Newcastle before we approach them for the same legal reason.
We do know by what has previously been reported and the fact Ashworth and Brailsford are friends

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Offer them a fraction of what they are asking for. If they reject then leave them pay his wages and wait for him.

£20m seems obscene for a member of the non-playing staff
Large compensations are sometimes paid for managers who are still under contract, for example Potter and Nagelsmann in the past went for big fees and even Sporting paid 10M for Ruben Amorim.

Some could argue a DoF is just as important as the first team head coach, maybe even more so. They probably won't get £20M but they absolutely have a right to demand a sizeable compensation for such a vital piece in the machine, especially when the club doing the poaching is a direct competitor.

Probably been answered before, but seeing as I'm not British, where does the term "gardening leave" originate from? Love the expression.
I don’t know but I’d imagine it’s rather self explanatory. Your current company doesn’t want you to take secrets or tap up existing lines of business, so rather than serve a regular notice period you are immediately sent home on leave. Still being paid by the company but at home & not required to do any work, thus time to do some gardening.