Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

I’m about as excited for this signing as I was 6 years ago when Moyes was announced as our new manager. Back then I thought it was the wrong move, but he deserved to be given a chance. I hope this turns out better and my gut feeling is wrong. It all depends on what the rest of our transfer season brings and also how Ole plans to use him.

Patrick08

I only see positives in this signing. From the video clips we've seen, it's obvious that he isn't one dimensional like Martial.
Well done United, now let's get Maddison signed up
It won't be Madison. Doubt it.

Coxy

The first proper winger we've had a for a while - looking forward to this signing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't see how this signing can go too wrong really.

Worst case scenario: he flops, we've paid a small fee to see a new awful player replace an old awful player. Not exactly the end of the world.

Whereas if he doesn't flop......

crossy1686

career ending

Worst case scenario: he flops, we've paid a small fee to see a new awful player replace an old awful player. Not exactly the end of the world.

It's a win win for sure. Actually made me realise we've let the best British lads go to teams like Leicester over the last 6 years and look how that's worked out for them...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Harry Kane was YPotY in the Premier League two years after finishing a loan spell as a bench player at Leicester in the Championship. Cue Daniel James being PL topscorer in 2021:drool:
I remember watching Kane on loan at Norwich, thinking what a mediocre player he was. How wrong was I? Then again, I also said Everton would be Maddison's limit earlier in the season and now he's valued at 60mil. I don't seem to do well with Norwich players...

I reckon Max Aaron's is destined for the very top. Just watch him flop now!

RedNed77

I’m all for this signing as it’s nice to see us not just throwing money at an expensive toy that we don’t need and simply buy just because instead of them fitting into an actual style or system, I don’t think we’ve actually bought a winger since Valencia back in 2009 which is fecking ridiculous when you think about it.

Signing young, hungry players with potential that want to win things and be the best is exactly the way we need to go. Players like James, Wan Bissaka, Sancho, De Ligt, Rice, Dias, Felix (at the right price), Maddison, Chilwell, Tierney are ones I want to see us go after and we have a core group in Rashford, Martial, Lindelof, McTominay and Tuanzebe of similar ages.
I've been pretty pro on the James signing but does this actually apply? When he first came up his video seemed to indicate he was a right winger but since, the picture has become clearer that he is predominantly a LW. The one place in the front three where we have numbers is LW, we have Martial/Rashford/Sanchez who can all play there, poorly admittedly, already. I just genuinely hope we haven't just bought another left winger, if we're planning on keeping the other three, before we have addressed RW. And before anybody says Rashford is a striker, I don't think he'll finish next season still being considered as one, he'll be back on LW by Christmas.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I like this signing. It’s relatively low risk as the price is affordable and if he struggled we will probably still ship him out for half of that anyway, plus his wages will be negligible.

Kapardin

The only caveat is he shouldn't be our only RW signing. We need an experienced winger.

Red Devil Rising

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Ole has checked with both Swansea and Giggs about his suitability to play on the right side.

Have a feeling that's where we'll see him, rightly or wrongly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This season really killed my mood and i am sorry because i became a moaner( i am aware of that, at least). So i don't see what is the point of this signing. His goal/assist stats are average at best. I also like his speed but he is not quality for first option winger. We have depth on wings. We need instant quality. We just added another average( solid, decent, hot prospect) player to our squad. He will just take minutes from Chong or Gomes or Greenwood.

I hope that this is not our only right wing signing.

Infestissumam

I really like this signing. Talented player with upside that brings a ton of speed and work ethic ... worth a punt for 15m.

marktan

Had a look at YouTube videos since never seen him before, didn't really look that technical with the ball. But I didn't see that ebough from Mane when he was at Southampton to see the step up, so hopefully the scouts have unearthed something good here.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This season really killed my mood and i am sorry because i became a moaner( i am aware of that, at least). So i don't see what is the point of this signing. His goal/assist stats are average at best. I also like his speed but he is not quality for first option winger. We have depth on wings. We need instant quality. We just added another average( solid, decent, hot prospect) player to our squad. He will just take minutes from Chong or Gomes or Greenwood.

Thank god he'll take minutes from Chong.

Don't see how he can take minutes from Gomes given completely different positions.

Only united Fans could moan at a low risk transfer for a potentially very good player.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Don't see how he can take minutes from Gomes given completely different positions.

Only united Fans could moan at a low risk transfer for a potentially very good player.
:lol: what?

Tiber

Its great that he is only 21.

He can be a good winger for a full ten years and then following 'the United way' I am confident that we can drag atleast another 5 years out of him at fullback.

Terrific value.

Tiber

:eek:

Ferguson

I have low expectations, which is good because he'll need time. Hopefully, he isn't another Depay or Zaha who will fail to develop while at United.

Ban

Gomes is a AM and Greenwood is a striker. ;)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thank you, I'm trying to get back more into the caf. After losing myself in social media, I've learnt that I enjoyed the caf more so trying to get back into it.

I'm not looking at this as the type of signing that ole can attract, for me our biggest stumbling block there is the loss of champions League. Next season will be the test to see what type of players he can attract. If he has a good season and we see true progress then we'll see. I'm hoping more though that we create a system first that works, James though at that low a price is definitely worth a punt. I believe he will be a good squad player who if he pushes himself has the chance to become a whole lot more.
I think its a mix of alot of factors including our rookie manager, the fact we're out of the CL, the rumours that 1-2 top player might want out and the lack of a DOF. For Ole to succeed he'll need as much quality at his disposal as possible. I am not sure United at this point can provide that

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Think he will need to be given a couple of years. He is obviously still relatively early in his development.

Europa and cup starts for him mainly this year with the odd impact job from the bench.

VanGaalyTime

Yeah such a strange quote. Chong looked better than some of our first team in the few minutes he got. Think he could do well as a right winger next season. Has the dribbling ability and acceleration only needs to improve ball control.

Oldyella

I really like this signing. Talented player with upside that brings a ton of speed and work ethic ... worth a punt for 15m.
The work ethic thing sounds good too, a few younger, hungrier players in the squad would be nice, feels like our current squad could do with a kick up the ass.

IrishRedDevil

In the space of a couple of hours the fee has went from £15m, to £18m, to £22m plus add ons. He better hurry up and sign before he costs £50m.

Status
Not open for further replies.