Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loublaze

ATLien
I’m neither optimistic nor skeptical, I just think I’d prefer United to buy a promising talent now for 15m than try to buy him again for 70m in three years.

My only opinion is that in today’s market it’s a very low risk signing and has feck all to do with showing ambition, nor is it a transfer policy for existing players to get angry about. Most likely, as I’ve argued, due to the changing market and the inability of United or City to even buy Harry Maguire, it’s the way the transfer system in England is going. Top teams are going to have to take more gambles in the Championship for English talent, simples, you have no counter argument to that and just keep rehashing the same flimsy arguments because you personally don’t like the idea.
I hope he comes good. I'll be first to admit I was wrong if he does.

Let me stop you there my favourite son.....

You have to go a long way back to find a success story at United.... at all.
Can't argue with this

I understand your scepticism, but it kinda seems like you're making him the only signing we'll make this window to add to our attack. If that's the case, I can see why you angle this as a negative signing on it's own. But I still think he'll offer our team something we need in attack right now. A hunger to get forward and run at defences with pace. He's still young and willing to learn it seems, and hopefully will fight for a place in the team.

I see this much more as a long term signing than the solution to all our problem that we have right now. We don't have the pulling power we used to, and to sign cheap talents might be a way to build a team instead of buying ready made starts who don't perform. If he doesn't succeed, £15 million is not a lot in today's market, and we can probably recoup that.

I think your realistic expectations might be a bit "blurred" considering how we've operated the last few years. We've bought so many players, yet very few have performed at their expected level. So you might think this will be another one, and therefore choose to rather be positively surprised if he does well than negatively if he does bad. If that's the case, that's fine. Your posts just make you seem a bit too harsh considering what we've seen from him so far and the price qouted for him. I'm not gonna try to make you agree with everyone else here, maybe just try to see it form their point of view.
Perhaps i've been too harsh on the young man. I'll wait and see how he does and I hope the club have unearthed a gem.

Cantonagotmehere

I see where you're coming from.

Whatever happens, my opinion is that he deserves a season. In my mind, this is under the assumption that we bring another winger in. If we don't, then I'll be majorly concerned. And quite honestly I am pessimistic right now.
Can't blame you for feeling that way. I'm dying for a quick turnaround.

LindaChang

Its sad really. Hes on the verge of a big move and his biggest inspiration just passed away. Been in his boat and its tough to cope. Study wise ive perform well below of what i used to. Hopefully he can cope better than me and become a really good player that he can be.

Art Vandelay

Its sad really. Hes on the verge of a big move and his biggest inspiration just passed away. Been in his boat and its tough to cope. Study wise ive perform well below of what i used to. Hopefully he can cope better than me and become a really good player that he can be.
Sorry to hear that. You would hope that if he comes here or indeed where ever he ends up they would have the right kind of support there for him to help get through this.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Man, losing your dad is tough, let alone at his age. And on the verge of making a big move as well. Wish the kid the best of luck.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
At 15mil it's worth a punt, but I don't see what the fuss is.

His end product and final ball isn't great, but that can improve with age, though I don't see great technique, and that's something you either have or you don't.
Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc... Always had the technique, what improves with age is the consistency, and how they apply their techniques within games.

OK, he has insanely frightening speed, but he uses a kick and run style to beat a man, which would work great on the counter, but against a deep organised defense it will be practically useless.

And if we get back to the level where we want to be, I assume more teams will be using a deep back line against us.

Just for comparison look at the video in the turkish Messi thread, and look how his dribbling allows him to beat multiple players with only half the speed of this lad, just by using quick changes of direction.
This is the kind of dribbling that unlocks defenses.

But again, at 15mil it's worth a punt.

Also one last thing, posters saying these kind of punt signings are what Sir Alex used to make, need to realise that back then we were the most dominant team in the league, which made making punts easy, and risk free.
You’re describing Bale circa 2011 here and he did pretty well in the EPL.

GazTheLegend

I take it this is not happening?
It’s done, it had DTMS approval. We are just waiting for an announcement day, perhaps because of the recent circumstances.

Sky sports betting won’t even take any more money on him joining us, if you are still a bit nervy.

Scholsey2004

It’s done, it had DTMS approval. We are just waiting for an announcement day, perhaps because of the recent circumstances.

Sky sports betting won’t even take any more money on him joining us, if you are still a bit nervy.
Certainly hope so. He looks a terrific addition.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

What's this ?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
'He caused carnage all game': Joe Allen pinpoints the day Manchester United were convinced to sign £15m Swansea wonderkid Daniel James

There, that was the day that probably sealed the potential Man United move,' said Allen. 'He was electric.

'He scored and got two men sent off and caused carnage all game.

'It was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen as a fellow player.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...n-Daniel-James.html?__twitter_impression=true

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have a good feeling about this kid.

BlackBen

Pleased this is getting concluded at last.This signing really excites me, hopefully he kicks on to become a very useful player for us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Looking forward to seeing how he develops. A steal at £15mil.

Mainoldo

I wasn’t for this deal what so ever... but it’s grown on me. Would hopefully replace Sanchez as a bench option for the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.