Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

First link to him.

Very interesting player. Only caught a handful of games, but he's scored a couple of worldies:

He's absolutely rapid and would be a very interesting player and I'm happy we're potentially interested. Doubt he's first XI material just yet, but who knows!

mewnew11

I would be happy if we bring in such players in the transfer window. Young, quick and with lot of potential.

Apparently Pep was really impressed when they played Swans and wants to sign him.

We definitely need some pace in the team. No more players like Mata on the field

CM

He's the kind of player who I could see stepping up for a decent Premier League side next season like Brooks for Bournemouth. His numbers aren't particularly good for Swansea this season but I've been pretty impressed with him when I've had the chance to watch him.

He's only got a year left on his contract so there's a potential bargain to be had for somebody.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Give him the number 11 and put completely unnecessary pressure on him :devil:

Tony Clifton

Is that a..a positive tweet ?
Hehe.

I've been waiting for us being linked to Daniel James, as it's been just a matter of time in my mind. Remains to be seen if this is true and/or if it actually materialises.

I was going to create a thread about him a while back—until I found that he's not left-footed. Yes, I'm picky and I'd prefer a left-footed right forward for cut-ins from the right. The traditional winger role is being less utilised and I don't understand why there's so many posts about finding wingers, when that role is assigned to the full-backs these days any way.

What we should be looking for are strikers and forwards… especially wide forwards.

Previously, the information I had was that he's left-footed. Unfortunately, he in fact seems to be right-footed, albeit having a strong left-foot too. Some statistical output for each position he's played: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-james/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/319301

However, he's performed well on the right and we're not even set on the left side of our central striker either, so there's potential here, as he's young and there is a lot room for development. Probably won't cost that much either.

He's also one of the most rapid footballers I've seen recently. Up there with the absolute fastest of them, including when he has the ball at his feet.

But, I've only seen two full matches (one in the Championship and the one in the FA Cup against Manchester City). Also, a highlight of a solo-run goal, this one:

So I don't have a plethora of substance in judging him. I'm sure our scouts do, though.

Last edited:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Last year of his contract, so certainly worth a gamble. I think 10m has been said as the asking pricing, which is peanuts nowadays. Sure Ole will get a first hand report from Giggs in his character too if we are interested.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
We are not going to be able to sign 11 first teamers this Summer so as a squad player with potential I can see no issue with this one.

Could either work out very nicely or at least he is very likely to improve in value.

Dolf

How good is he in breaking down defenses and putting some good crosses in?
A pacy player always looks good when you play on the counter but you need more than just pace at a big club.

Classical Mechanic

He's the kind of player who I could see stepping up for a decent Premier League side next season like Brooks for Bournemouth. His numbers aren't particularly good for Swansea this season but I've been pretty impressed with him when I've had the chance to watch him.

He's only got a year left on his contract so there's a potential bargain to be had for somebody.
If the price is right I guess but not the most exciting signing ever. A bit worrying if we don't go for some established quality as well. The method of signing 'young and hungry' is very risky.

ArjenIsM3

How good is he in breaking down defenses and putting some good crosses in?
A pacy player always looks good when you play on the counter but you need more than just pace at a big club.
From scouting him on YouTube I can tell you that he has put in a couple of good crosses this season. :lol:

The problem is Swansea are a counter attacking team so there isn't a lot to go on when it comes to judging him on creative play. Even though Ole seems to like this style of play too it won't work against teams that park the bus. So we need to have the right balance of players that are creative and can break down defenses and players that are very fast and can counterattack well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Him and Ben Godfrey are 2 young punts we should be looking at. yes that’s a P in punts
:lol:

We've been linked to Godfrey as well, I've not seen much of him though. You are well known for your gripes with Lindelofs heading ability, does Godfrey have that?

Our front line would be incredibly fast with him and Rashford up top and someone to play them in (Dybala for my money)

Classical Mechanic

:lol:

We've been linked to Godfrey as well, I've not seen much of him though. You are well known for your gripes with Lindelofs heading ability, does Godfrey have that?

Our front line would be incredibly fast with him and Rashford up top and someone to play them in (Dybala for my money)
Whoscored have aerial duels as one of his weaknesses. I've not seen that much of him but he's fast as anything though and a good passer. He's also got 4 goals and 2 assists in 26(5) apps so is a goal threat too. Norwich concede a lot so I'm not sure how good a defender he is.

Zoo

Giggs must have recommended him. Love me a speed demon.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Whoscored have aerial duels as one of his weaknesses. I've not seen that much of him but he's fast as anything though and a good passer. He's also got 4 goals and 2 assists in 26(5) apps so is a goal threat too. Norwich concede a lot so I'm not sure how good a defender he is.
Yeah, I did see this, but felt a bit bad writing him off on that alone. Yeah, I only remember Norwich for high scoring games, with last minute winners.

AgentP

That's what I've said in the Twitter thread, I think hes our plan b. Seems versatile so he'll be RW next season and providing Sancho doesn't go back to city this summer and we sign him next, then James will be moved to the LW the season after.
And then LB in a few years :drool:

Tiber

I know feck all about him. But from what I have read today he seems like exactly the sort of young player we should be giving a chance to.

Maybe it won't work out. But he has more of a chance than Sanchez and will cost a hell of a lot less either way

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love signings like these, it's exciting. I hope we can pull this one off, makes a lot of sense for us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Put it this way, he’d rip our defenders a new one!
Position wise he’s ahead of anything we have coming up in the U23 or 18s. Different to Greenwood so wouldn’t hold him back, and more seasoned now he’s had time in the Championship.

With someone like Garner playing him in, our counters will be more like the days of old.

Like it’s been said,we should definitely be scouting players like this

crossy1686

career ending
He's lightning fast but I'm not sure what else he has in his game right now. Glad we're looking outside of the box though in regards to transfers.

sugar_kane

I find signings like this 10 times more exciting than the likes of Bale, Sanchez etc.

We've had shitty luck in signing superstars who normally turn out to be mercenaries. Would much rather we bought potential and made them into superstars ourselves and if this is the plan under Ole then I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.