Danny Rose | Rose: "I will play up North before I retire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What does that have to do with the current debate, though? We're talking about Spurs' future here, not United's. Believe it or not, we could finish outside the top 4 every year for the next decade before we feel the ramifications that would likely result from that. If Spurs finish outside the top4 this season, I feel it's very likely a mass exodus will occur in the way of your players leaving for greener pastues.
Excuse me? You were the one who said "If you can't piss with the big spenders then you will likely get left behind".

Well, guess what, Spurs haven't been pissing with the big spenders for a fair few years now, but we haven't been left behind, there has been no "mass exodus" and there is a plan in place (and proceeding apace) to considerably boost our income.

There is so much pre-determined negativity concerning Spurs from some posters:

* We don't pay enough wages = mass exodus
* If we finish outside the top 4 = mass exodus
* We haven't been "pissing with the big spenders" = left behind.

The fact is that no mass exodus has happened and nor have we been left behind, but it's always "next summer" from some posters.

No-one disputes that Spurs need to be able to start paying more wages and to win trophies. And even if one or two players do eventually leave for greener pastures - like Bale did, like Modric did - it won't necessarily mean the decline of Spurs, just as the years since they left have shown.

We have a fantastic new stadium coming, we have a very good first XI, an excellent manager and a world-class training centre. I'm optimistic and think I have good reasons for being so.

Rusholme Ruffian

And don't worry it's easy to get wound up on here lol.
For what it's worth, and from what I've seen elsewhere, this is generally an extremely respectful and friendly place for opposition fans. Pretty certain there aren't many club forums where United fans would get such an easy ride as oppo fans get here. And therefore it's a shame when oppo fans are dicks because it usually isn't warranted.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
For what it's worth, and from what I've seen elsewhere, this is generally an extremely respectful and friendly place for opposition fans. Pretty certain there aren't many club forums where United fans would get such an easy ride as oppo fans get here. And therefore it's a shame when oppo fans are dicks because it usually isn't warranted.
I totally agree, I'm here simply cause most of my mates are United and this is probably the biggest football forum for an English club. I've had nothing but good experiences.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So what are you saying? We should sign big name players even if Jose has planned for them or not?
What about your many posts laughing at us for spending so much and yet here you are, claiming how we've settled because we haven't spent more.
You're all over the place here buddy.
Why sign Kane when we can sign Neymar? Hell Ronaldo. FECK ME WHAT ABOUT MESS!!!!
You miss and muddle the point entirely.

I'm not saying that United should spend more to get the players you'd ideally prefer (like Kane, for instance). I'm saying that there are some players you can't get (like Kane, for instance) regardless of your money.

TheReligion

Abusive
Lol ... how much have United spent since Fergie retired? In net terms I'd say United have outspent Spurs during this period by several hundreds of millions of pounds. And in terms of "pissing", you've mostly pissed it up against a wall judging by the league tables.
You may be obsessed with only league tables but sadly your own players are also bothered about success hence this debacle with Danny Rose.

Wise up.

Rusholme Ruffian

I'm saying that there are some players you can't get (like Kane, for instance) regardless of your money.
Kane is a bit of a special case due to his close ties with Spurs - in many ways I'd be pleased to see him stay there for his whole career. But you seem to believe that even lesser lights like Dier could never be signed from Spurs in any circumstances?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You may be obsessed with only league tables but sadly your own players are also bothered about success hence this debacle with Danny Rose.

Wise up.
Perhaps United players should be a little more obsessed with league tables.

Rose is a just a storm in a tea cup, eagerly seized on by some opposition fans as a sign of the long-predicted doom for Spurs ... for "next summer" as always.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Kane is a bit of a special case due to his close ties with Spurs - in many ways I'd be pleased to see him stay there for his whole career. But you seem to believe that even lesser lights like Dier could never be signed from Spurs in any circumstances?
Dier could perhaps be sold eventually, but none of our star players will ever again be sold to United whilst Levy is at the helm.

BigCaine

Rose is a just a storm in a tea cup, eagerly seized on by some opposition fans as a sign of the long-predicted doom for Spurs ... for "next summer" as always.
Teams who actually won things have got dismantled , do you really believe you lot can survive more than season or 2 without winning things especially when you don't pay well either.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Dier could perhaps be sold eventually, but none of our star players will ever again be sold to United whilst Levy is at the helm.
Do you not think that Levy's hatred of all things United to be a little bizzare and somewhat ill-advised? United are, potentially speaking, a huge cash cow for Levy and his beloved Spurs. Why alienate one of the richest clubs in the land when, if things go down the proverbial shitter, their money could prove quite useful. Holding a grudge over past transfer dealings is rather childish if you ask me.

Does anyone remember who came 2nd? It's first or nothing. It's winning the cup or nothing. You won't find winners celebrating coming second/third/fourth. I suppose (getting back on topic) that's why Rose is unhappy. He actually wants to win something in his career. Who can blame him.

Rusholme Ruffian

Do you not think that Levy's hatred of all things United to be a little bizzare and somewhat ill-advised? United are, potentially speaking, a huge cash cow for Levy and his beloved Spurs. Why alienate one of the richest clubs in the land when, if things go down the proverbial shitter, their money could prove quite useful. Holding a grudge over past transfer dealings is rather childish if you ask me.
You are talking to a proverbial brick wall.

United don't really want to deal with Madrid, but we were a fax machine away from selling them DDG because he wanted to go there. Sometimes in business you swallow your pride and do the best deal for the club. Also there may come a time when Spurs want to sign one of our players. I really don't think Levy's 'won't sell to United' policy is quite as set in stone as Glaston believes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You didn't respond to my question about Bale - if Madrid hadn't been in for him do you genuinely believe there is no way on earth he would have been sold to United?
I've actually made that very same point in the past. Clearly it would be fruitless taking on the giant that is Real Madrid, they wanted Bale, they got Bale, and there is very little United or anyone else could have done to alter that fact. But sure, take Real out of the equation and I'm openly confident that Bale would be a United player as of this moment (assuming Real didn't lure him away from us the following season of course!)

United don't really want to deal with Madrid, but we were a fax machine away from selling them DDG because he wanted to go there. Sometimes in business you swallow your pride and do the best deal for the club. Also there may come a time when Spurs want to sign one of our players. I really don't think Levy's 'won't sell to United' policy is quite as set in stone as Glaston believes.
He's talking BS as usual. If Bale wanted to go to Utd rather than Madrid then Spurs would have sold him to us. If Utd had outbid City for Walker (not that he's a player we wanted), then Spurs would have sold him to us. The only team that wouldn't sell a player to Utd (and visa versa) is Liverpool.

Spurs fans may have a perceived rivalry with Utd, but it's not reciprocal and of course they would sell any of their players to us if the price is right. No doubt we would sell any player we don't want to Spurs - as clearly they could not afford to buy a player we wanted to keep.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I rather think it was United who alienated Levy over the Berbatov saga. But it goes wider than just United. Afterward Berbatov, Levy realised that the days of selling star players to Prem rivals had to end ... and so it has.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He's talking BS as usual. If Bale wanted to go to Utd rather than Madrid then Spurs would have sold him to us. If Utd had outbid City for Walker (not that he's a player we wanted), then Spurs would have sold him to us. The only team that wouldn't sell a player to Utd (and visa versa) is Liverpool.

Spurs fans may have a perceived rivalry with Utd, but it's not reciprocal and of course they would sell any of their players to us if the price is right. No doubt we would sell any player we don't want to Spurs - as clearly they could not afford to buy a player we wanted to keep.
Walker was not one of our star players, so had you bid more than City, and had Walker been willing to go there, then you could have had him.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

The policy is not sell any star player to United (or any other Prem rival), not any old player.

AdNani

The idea that Levy will never sell us a star player is ridiculous, if we pay the money he'll sell.

I hope it's pleasant in that strange little world that you inhabit!
Its widely known Utd bid more than Madrid to get Bale, and we're invited to do so by Levy. So if Madrid were not involved, or Bale wanted to go to Utd rather than Real - without a doubt he would have gone to Utd. I don't know why this is such a problem for you?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
hang on, earlier you said that we tried to sign Dier this summer but Levy wouldn't let us have him?
Yes, but not for policy reasons, but simply because Pochettino wanted to keep him and thus we don't sell.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Its widely known Utd bid more than Madrid to get Bale, and we're invited to do so by Levy. So if Madrid were not involved, or Bale wanted to go to Utd rather than Real - without a doubt he would have gone to Utd. I don't know why this is such a problem for you?
Believe what you want. IF Levy invited United to bid (and I say IF) then it would have been purely a negotiating tactic to get more from RM.

Anyhow, I'm tired of discussing this. The fact is that we haven't sold a star player to a Prem rival for 9 years. Unless and until this changes, no-one is in a position to say that they know the policy doesn't exist.

So I'm done with further this discussing this particular subject in the this thread.

MassiveMorgan

I'm glad he is. Otherwise you'd probably walk the league being maybe 2 players away from it. Back up to Kane and replacement RB. But he doesn't like to spend so we're lucky.

TheReligion

Abusive

Yeah good one.

United have won the title a record 20 times.

That not obsession enough for you?

I'm talking about now ... and ever since Fergie retired
Ok since Fergie left we have won the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League - what have Spurs won in the last 20 years! Just to be clear, no Utd fan would be happy with this - but sure as hell better than winning sweet FA.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Ok since Fergie left we have won the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League - what have Spurs won in the last 20 years! Just to be clear, no Utd fan would be happy with this - but sure as hell better than winning sweet FA.
The discussion point concerned the league in the present day ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.