Danny Rose | Rose: "I will play up North before I retire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
In response to your first question I have two answers. He as an individual player has undoubtedly made massive improvements in recent years evident from his positioning, passing, dribbling and tackling - it's not as if he's the exact quality he was years ago and him being in an improved Spurs team has made him look better. So for that aspect yes he has improved as a player but to same point it is a hypothetical vagueness that honestly is really difficult to answer and is the risk with every single transfer. If hypothetically we bought Rose tomorrow then yes he would be a big improvement than if we bought Rose 3 summers ago but also I couldn't give you an guaranteed answer on if he would play at the level he does for Spurs, it's just a totally unknown factor. What I will say is that he wouldn't be 'bad' by any means, but there is the vagueness on if he would keep the same performance level, regress slightly or potentially play even better.

For your second question however you're better off asking a Tottenham fan like @GlastonSpur for an in-depth look at Rose.
Many thanks for the reply and yes I'll also await the response of a Spurs fan if they decide to chime in.

Nice to know from the sound of things he's progressed as an individual. Just curious because there are some players who just fit in with a certain environment perfectly and it just so happens to be when moved to another team they can never find that efficiency or form as they had prior. Some players just suit a certain team/manager and Rose is 27 years of age so just wanna know if that's the case with him or not, having revived his play at a later stage of his career (a late bloomer you can say) where it could potentially be the case.

Last edited:

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
You don't hear many interviews along those lines, as small that it may be in absolute terms. I think Spurs have a real problem unless they're willing to financially upgrade their overall wage bill and transfer spend in order to keep top class players happy. That's what they finally have, and top class players want to play with top class players - I can't but feel it's abit of a unique position for them right now that doesn't fit their business model. This stuff with be discussed squad wide no doubt.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Many thanks for the reply and yes I'll also await the response of a Spurs fan if they decide to chime in.

Nice to know from the sound of things he's progressed as an individual. Just curious because there are some players who just fit in with a certain environment perfectly and it just so happens to be when moved to another team they can never find that efficiency or form as they had prior. Some players just suit a certain team/manager and Rose is 27 years of age so just wanna know if that's the case with him or not, having revived his play at a later stage of his career (a late bloomer you can say) where it could potentially be the case.
Well he and Walker have been 2 of England's best players over the last couple of years so it's clearly not only for Spuds that he shows up...

BenjaminP

Of course I could understand that. But then Rose hasn't said that he wants to leave this summer. And if he did want to leave this summer, then he shouldn't have signed that new contract.
Like Neymar signed a new contract and left for PSG?

TheReligion

Abusive
He sounds like an utter twat to be honest.

“Yes I’ve got team-mates who have moved away from families in South Korea and Argentina, but I have been away for over ten years now and I don’t get to see my mum that often"

Grow the fcuk up lad.

Wholeheartedly endorse the attitude and honesty of one last contract, medals wanted etc. But by christ he sounds like an oxygen thief.
An utter twat for saying he'd like to see more of his mum?

Bizarre comment.

LonelyFire

A lot of his comments are getting overplayed. It's not exactly a transfer request. He said he wants to play up north before career ends and challenged Spurs to buy players. It's not that controversial in isolation.

However, the gripes on pay and timing of the interview make this curious.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
@GlastonSpur remember that time I told you that Spurs players will look at Lingard's £100k and start getting itchy feet and you were like "nah mate, they love the club and don't want money and love poch and believe in building something together and money isn't an issue COYS". Yeah good times, man.
Glaston changes his narrative depending on Spurs' current situation. Wasn't long ago he was trying to tell me they're stronger this season than they were last season, despite selling their best right back.

Spurs have no chance of hitting the heights they have over the last couple seasons, unless some big moves happen between now and the end of the window. Won't be long before the likes of Lloris, Alli and Kane are aggitating for moves too. Why would they wanna continue playing for a club that doesn't pay going rate and doesn't want to do what's necessary to win the league and compete in Europe.

buckooo1978

Rose has one good contract/transfer left

he'd love a move and the opportunity to double or triple his wages

maybe Kane/Alli are satisfied for now given their age/wages but some of the older players like Rose will surely be thinking of their pocket when you consider what others at different clubs get paid

ZupZup

Man Utd really should be making him a concrete offer as soon as possible after seeing this. It's win win.

He'd definitely tell the club he wants to leave and join us... even if they refuse you've unsettled one of their better players and potentially some of the harmony in their squad too.

I have a feeling this will get worse for them. Their pay doesn't match the quality or ambition of their players who won't put up with it as long as they aren't winning things. I see a tougher season ahead for them because of playing at Wembley and how their rival teams are strengthening. Another trophyless season and how many other players will be wanting the exit door?

AndyJ1985

Whether you're earning minimum wage, or £200k a week, it's natural for people to feel valued. Part of feeling valued at work is knowing you earn a fair wage; a wage that is comparable to your peers in other companies. Spurs' wage structure isn't sustainable. Their players won't tolerate it for much longer. When United, City, Chelsea are all paying ~£150k a week as standard for a decent first team player, Spurs players will look at that and see an opportunity to double or even triple their wage. Any Spurs fan who thinks their players will play for far less out of their love for the club is quite frankly living in cloud cuckoo land.

Woodzy

Not surprised. The Manchester clubs pay their shit players what the best players at Spurs earn.

Joseunited

Man Utd really should be making him a concrete offer as soon as possible after seeing this. It's win win.

He'd definitely tell the club he wants to leave and join us... even if they refuse you've unsettled one of their better players and potentially some of the harmony in their squad too.

I have a feeling this will get worse for them. Their pay doesn't match the quality or ambition of their players who won't put up with it as long as they aren't winning things. I see a tougher season ahead for them because of playing at Wembley and how their rival teams are strengthening. Another trophyless season and how many other players will be wanting the exit door?
According to GlastoSpur none, because playing for Spurs is the holygrail.

SteveW

I like him but he's injured and Levy would asked for a crazy fee.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
This is very interesting part.

In a candid interview with The Sun, the left-back has questioned Spurs' ambition and praised United's summer transfer window while teasing 'I hear Mourinho may want one or two more players'.

"There are three weeks to go until the window shuts and you look at Man City and think, ‘If the window shut now they would be happy with the business they have done,’" Rose said.

"Man United, more or less, are there. Although I hear Mourinho may want one or two more players. But I am sure he’d be happy with his squad.

"As a Tottenham player I’d love to see more signings. It would lift me seeing a top player come through the door. I’ve seen a couple of players previously saying, ‘We don’t need a top signing or signings’. But I am sorry, I am not singing off the same hymn-sheet on that one
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...sfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-rose-13456578

Looks like he disagrees with few Spurs fan.

Suv666

Reckon he won't leave, he's just frustated at the lack of investment in the squad, like Poch.

Classical Mechanic

The lad wants out and it is clearly a) a come and get me plea to United b) a warning to Spurs that he is going to be unhappy and unmotivated playing for them if they make him stay.

pascell

If Rose moves on then I wouldn't be surprised if it was Alli next, especially if Spurs stick to their current wage structure. Finding a solid enough replacement for Rose will he tough, he's been a stand out performer for Spurs for a couple of season now.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
'Frustrated at lack of investment'
He'd be among the first to be upgraded upon :lol:
He won't. Spurs won't sign a better LB than Rose. Also as a player you would be hoping that club invests more so that team can win few trophies.

RC89

See Rose as the perfect player particularly if the club haven't given up on Shaw, he's five years older so it leaves Shaw as a solid squad player looking to be first choice in a few season in a close to worst case scenario for him

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
This is very interesting part.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...sfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-rose-13456578

Looks like he disagrees with few Spurs fan.
Singing off the same hymn sheet is a fitting turn of phrase.

Because that's the only thing those players are doing. Trotting out a club line.

Most of the top players in that side will feel exactly the same as Rose.

But they'll just spew out identikit club-sanctioned interviews as soon as the camera rolls.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Can't say I blame him. They finished second, should have finished second the year before and the reaction to that at boardroom level is a dogged refusal to even consider the question "what do we need from here to move up to first?"

It seems their main concern is to not be left too far behind whilst running on a shoestring, despite being flush with tv money.

Enjoy the financial prudence trophy. Arsenal had it for a long time and it turned out to be hollow and shit for them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Bring him in.
There have been rumours about us and him even be the transfer window opened.

Coops73

Can't see him staying after those comments, would be happy to have him here.
Same here, he's been very good over the last couple of seasons in my humble opinion and I'm not sure mourinho is Shaws biggest fan.

LonelyFire

Can't see him staying after those comments, would be happy to have him here.
Why can't you see him staying? He's challenged Spurs to offer a new contract and show some ambition - not demanded to move. You can argue the undermining the club point but Levy will not bow to player pressure if it's a move he's after.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Why can't you see him staying? He's challenged Spurs to offer a new contract and show some ambition - not demanded to move. You can argue the undermining the club point but Levy will not bow to player pressure if it's a move he's after.
No new contract then

WoodysWallet

It doesn't say much about the type of person he is does it? Whatever happens now, I can't see him staying at Spurs.

But are we prepared to splash out 50 million for him? I must admit I do rate him highly, and he'd solve our problem at left back no question.

I think if we want him, he'll be ours before the season the end of the window.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
If he thought that he could get more at another club - and if he actually wanted to leave to get more money - then he could have chosen not to sign the new contract. But he didn't. End of story pretty much.

Do you realise that I get told the same old stuff every summer? Spurs holding players against their will, paltry wages, will put off other players from signing for such a terrible club ... yada yada. When will it actually dawn on some opposition fans that Spurs are actually a very attractive option for many talented players? Never is my guess, because they always let their wishful thinking get in the way.
Young players, yes. They are going to get football and Pochettino is going to make them better players. There's a glaring omission of top quality players being signed by Spurs though when you look at their transfer history over the last 5 years compared to City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal (Liverpool are much the same). And it's probably because they can't afford to pay them.

Thus once these younger talents are being turned in to world-class players or at least, one of the best in the PL, and they want to be paid as such, you're going to get the same problem. Walker and Rose are both perfect examples of that.

I would love if Spurs were able to keep their first XI as it is now together and build on that with more quality and become consistent challengers for silverware, but I think ignoring the issue with wages going forward is a bit naive on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.