Danny Rose | Rose: "I will play up North before I retire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The whole Sun interview thing is just a storm in a tea-cup when you read his actual comments.

RoLo

Last time he played at Old Trafford he got a rousing 5 minute chant of "Danny Rose, you're a wanker, you're a wanker, Danny Rose, you're a wanker, you're a wanker" after putting in a hard tackle on Mkhitaryan who had just returned from injury.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Neymar had a release clause. Rose doesn't.
Genuine question: given Rose is hardly a 'Spurs man' like Kane, is there no part of you that could understand him wanting bigger wages after playing a few seasons at Tottenham? Or just wanting a change?

There's a weird thing with the **** of Levy that him basically being stubborn is some great attribute to the club - and sometimes it is - but I also find it almost pathological how the very concept of someone just wanting a change is treated when Levy is anywhere involved.

Not saying Rose in particular, just generally.

acnumber9

The usual retort, which ignores the point made, as it usually does .... yawn.
If I made a proper retort you would ignore it. Like when you claimed Walker couldn't be replaced before it became clear he wanted to leave.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He would've signed that deal to increase his salary from whatever paltry level it was before.

The contract is there to protect both parties. The player gets a salary bump and the club don't lose a player too cheaply.

It doesn't tend to be about holding players against their will unless a club are particularly vindictive and want to give off an even worse impression to other players who have itchy feet.

Good luck getting Alderweireld on a long term deal if he sees Rose being held against his will.
If he thought that he could get more at another club - and if he actually wanted to leave to get more money - then he could have chosen not to sign the new contract. But he didn't. End of story pretty much.

Do you realise that I get told the same old stuff every summer? Spurs holding players against their will, paltry wages, will put off other players from signing for such a terrible club ... yada yada. When will it actually dawn on some opposition fans that Spurs are actually a very attractive option for many talented players? Never is my guess, because they always let their wishful thinking get in the way.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
If I made a proper retort you would ignore it. Like when you claimed Walker couldn't be replaced before it became clear he wanted to leave.
Show me the quote where I said this.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Genuine question: given Rose is hardly a 'Spurs man' like Kane, is there no part of you that could understand him wanting bigger wages after playing a few seasons at Tottenham? Or just wanting a change?

There's a weird thing with the **** of Levy that him basically being stubborn is some great attribute to the club - and sometimes it is - but I also find it almost pathological how the very concept of someone just wanting a change is treated when Levy is anywhere involved.

Not saying Rose in particular, just generally.
Of course I could understand that. But then Rose hasn't said that he wants to leave this summer. And if he did want to leave this summer, then he shouldn't have signed that new contract.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
There's actually a wider point when it comes to Rose - a player who has improved tremendously at Spurs - and wages. People say "pay him what he's worth", but do they ever look at the potential consequences of paying a player far more than their proven worth?

Shaw is one instance here. United threw huge wages at him at a very young age, but then he hasn't kicked on since and has actually gone backwards if anything. Is there a link between the two - as in "I've made it now and so can rest on my laurels"? Quite possibly there is.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
If he thought that he could get more at another club - and if he actually wanted to leave to get more money - then he could have chosen not to sign the new contract. But he didn't. End of story pretty much.

Do you realise that I get told the same old stuff every summer? Spurs holding players against their will, paltry wages, will put off other players from signing for such a terrible club ... yada yada. When will it actually dawn on some opposition fans that Spurs are actually a very attractive option for many talented players? Never is my guess, because they always let their wishful thinking get in the way.
Actually I'd say those exact things are being borne out, firstly with Walker clearly, and now with a couple of others making noises.

I doubt you get told it every summer as Spurs have only actually been decent for a couple of summers. No one really cared about your players in the years prior to 2015. And the ones we did care a few years back left Spurs.

So I don't think there's any clear evidence that Spurs hold onto their coveted players longterm. The trend is pretty much the opposite.

I have no idea what deal Rose was on before. I think it's extremely naive to believe that a 5 year contract simply means you hold onto a player for 5 years. It's just not the reality of football.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
There's actually a wider point when it comes to Rose - a player who has improved tremendously at Spurs - and wages. People say "pay him what he's worth", but do they ever look at the potential consequences of paying a player far more than their proven worth?

Shaw is one instance here. United threw huge wages at him at a very young age, but then he hasn't kicked on since and has actually gone backwards if anything. Is there a link between the two - as in "I've made it now and so can rest on my laurels"? Quite possibly there is.
I think his broken leg has more to do with it. Just a thought.

There are countless well paid young players who are having highly successful careers.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@ivaldo "I don't see any full backs out there who would be both better than Rose and Walker". Yes, quite true.

The quote does not match the claim made about it. First off, I was talking about Rose and Walker as a pair, and not just Walker. Second, I didn't say that Walker "couldn't be replaced".

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I think his broken leg has more to do with it. Just a thought.

There are countless well paid young players who are having highly successful careers.
His broken leg has something to do with it, probably yes. But I don't see that it tells the whole story.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
His broken leg has something to do with it, probably yes. But I don't see that it tells the whole story.
Player playing exceptionally well. Forced his way into an automatic pick at LB for England and Man United. Arguably United's best player on the pitch at the start of the 2015/16 season.

Gets scythed down, breaks leg and begins lengthy and difficult rehabilitation programme with several psychologically damaging set backs.

"Oh he's no longer top of his game, must be paid too much"

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Actually I'd say those exact things are being borne out, firstly with Walker clearly, and now with a couple of others making noises.

I doubt you get told it every summer as Spurs have only actually been decent for a couple of summers. No one really cared about your players in the years prior to 2015. And the ones we did care a few years back left Spurs.

So I don't think there's any clear evidence that Spurs hold onto their coveted players longterm. The trend is pretty much the opposite.

I have no idea what deal Rose was on before. I think it's extremely naive to believe that a 5 year contract simply means you hold onto a player for 5 years. It's just not the reality of football.
I haven't claimed that it does, so that's a straw-man argument.

As for the rest, I know that you'd like to pretend that United are an exception, but it's not so long ago that de Gea was "making noises". The fact is that pretty much all clubs - Barcelona included - suffer such hiccups along the way.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
@ivaldo "I don't see any full backs out there who would be both better than Rose and Walker". Yes, quite true.

The quote does not match the claim made about it. First off, I was talking about Rose and Walker as a pair, and not just Walker. Second, I didn't say that Walker "couldn't be replaced".
All players can be replaced by inferior players which by your quote is what you've done replacing Walker with Trippier, no?

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I haven't claimed that it does, so that's a straw-man argument.

As for the rest, I know that you'd like to pretend that United are an exception, but it's not so long ago that de Gea was "making noises". The fact is that pretty much all clubs - Barcelona included - suffer such hiccups along the way.
The fact we've held onto a Madrid born keeper for so long (and with relatively few rocks of the boat for a number of transfer windows now) is actually pretty decent evidence of our pulling power.

It very much seems like we do hold onto our coveted players even when every card in the deck seems stacked against us in the situation.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
All players can be replaced by inferior players which by your quote is what you've done replacing Walker with Trippier, no?
As I've already said, my quote was about replacing Rose and Walker as a pair.

Regarding Walker by himself, we've replaced him with a player who has a different set of attributes - some worse, some better - and if he is "inferior", the difference overall is fairly marginal.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed now. Rose won't be sold this summer and no amount of wishful thinking or dire predictions in this thread will change that.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
As I've already said, my quote was about replacing Rose and Walker as a pair.

Regarding Walker by himself, we've replaced him with a player who has a different set of attributes - some worse, some better - and if he is "inferior", the difference overall is fairly marginal.
Who is Trippier's backup if he gets injured?

Hawks2008

He may be England’s first-choice left-back and a member of the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for the past two seasons, but Rose has often felt under-valued and misunderstood.

He has requested this interview to put that all straight.

Rose said: “I am opinionated and I might not have long left in football.

“One thing is for sure, for the rest of this career, I will play this game how I want to play it and, while I am not going to disrespect anyone, I am going to voice my opinions.”

Rose is not demanding a transfer from Tottenham.

But in a candid and wide-ranging interview, he gives a refreshingly honest opinion on a club which has punched above its weight with two title challenges, yet has not spent a penny on players this summer.

The rampaging full-back is adamant that he is motivated more by trophies and medals than money.

But he insists he does not believe he or his Spurs team-mates are paid their true worth.

Having recently turned 27, and contemplating a return from the longest injury lay-off of his career, Rose admitted: “At my age, and having missed six months with injury, I have been thinking about this quite a lot.

I am reaching my peak and have probably only got one big contract left in me.

“Time is running out and I do want to win trophies. I don’t want to play football for 15 years and not have one trophy or one medal.

“Sorry, that’s not what I am about. I wouldn’t be happy with that. I want to win something.

“I will say this too — I will play up north. I don’t know exactly when, but I will get back up north and play some football somewhere.

“I moved away from home (from Leeds to Spurs) at 16.

“Yes I’ve got team-mates who have moved away from families in South Korea and Argentina, but I have been away for over ten years now and I don’t get to see my mum that often.

“I am going to make it my priority before I retire to play football up there.

“My short-term focus is to get back to playing like last year and if I do that the long-term will take care of itself.

“I’m not saying I want out, but if something came to me that was concrete, I’d have no qualms about voicing my opinions to anyone at the club.”

Rose is believed to earn £65,000-per-week. A move to Chelsea or either Manchester club could earn him two or three times as much.

When told he might be accused of being motivated by cash, Rose is uncommonly honest in insisting he knows his worth – and will not sell himself short.

He said: “Being injured has harmed me on and off the field in a lot of ways.

“When you’re injured you get a lot of time to think and I’ve had a lot of ‘what if?’ moments. It’s been hard to deal with.

“One thing is for sure — I know my worth and I will make sure I get what I am worth.

“I am not playing as well as I have done not to get paid what I think I am worth.

“In any walk of life, if you think you are worth a certain amount, why settle for less? I am not that person.

“If I get to levels I reached last season — and this goes out to everybody — I will make sure I get what I am worth. I don’t know how much longer I might have at this level. I’m not going to be stupid enough not to try and get the most out of it — medals, trophies and salary.

“Anyone who thinks this is primarily for money, that is not the case. But I know what I am worth.

“As with everyone else in my team, in my opinion, I am worth more than I am getting.

“I am not speaking on behalf of other players, but that is my view.”

Rose has huge respect for manager Mauricio Pochettino — he has even been referred to as the “gaffer’s son” by team-mates who joke he is a teacher’s pet.

Yet the long-serving left-back is sick of hearing suggestions he was not up to it before Pochettino arrived in 2014.

Back then Rose was unpopular with Spurs fans after tough times under Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood.

And when Pochettino handed him a new contract, many were scathing.

Rose added: “People speak about me and to me as if I had two left feet before Mauricio came to the club.

“But I want people to understand that having one average season, as I’d had, doesn’t make you a bad player. You need to distinguish that.

“I don’t usually blow my own trumpet, but I was a good player before the manager came. I am an even better one now and he has helped me become more consistent.

“But don’t ever speak about me as if I had two left feet before he arrived. I am not having that. I’ll never forget how some fans treated me when I signed a contract.

“I have been desperate to get that on record and I hope people read about my mindset on that one.

“I am happy at Tottenham, I love my team-mates and the fans have been great for the last three years.

“But I got a lot of stick before Mauricio came to the club. I’ll never forget some of the things they were saying about me.

“Now I want to win things and I want to be in the starting 11 at the World Cup with England. If I have a good season, these things will sort themselves out.”

SPLASH THE CASH Tottenham ace Danny Rose admits ‘we need two or three big buys’ and not players you have to Google to find out who they are

DANNY ROSE admits he is in awe of Manchester City and Chelsea’s squad strength — and has urged his Tottenham bosses to strike back in the transfer market.

The England left-back has singled out unsettled Everton ace Ross Barkley as one of the two or three top-class stars he believes Spurs should recruit.

As the blunt-speaking Yorkshireman put it: “I am not saying buy ten players, I’d love to see two or three — and not players you have to Google and say, ‘Who’s that?’ I mean well-known players.”

Spurs are the only Premier League side not to have bought during the summer window.

And while Rose does not want the club to lose their admirable reputation for promoting youth, he claims Mauricio Pochettino’s squad needs fresh blood.

Rose, Tottenham’s long-serving current player having joined ten years ago, said: “Under Harry Redknapp we signed Rafa van der Vaart. It was like, ‘Wow, how did he do that?’

“I mean signings like that are what we need — that’s just my opinion.

“There are three weeks to go until the window shuts and you look at Man City and think, ‘If the window shut now they would be happy with the business they have done’.

“Man United, more or less, are there — although I hear Mourinho may want one or two more players — but I am sure he’d be happy with his squad.

“As a Tottenham player I’d love to see more signings. It would lift me seeing a top player come through the door.

I’ve seen a couple of players previously saying, ‘We don’t need a top signing or signings’. But I am sorry, I am not singing off the same hymn-sheet on that one.

“I think we do need one or two top signings to strengthen the squad. I’m just not buying the idea that we don’t need anyone.”

Rose watched Tottenham’s 3-0 pre-season loss to City in Nashville last month — and had a similar sensation to seeing his team’s 4-2 FA Cup semi-final defeat against Chelsea in April.

The injured defender, 27, said: “I know it was only pre-season but I watched the game against Man City and I was just in awe of City.

“They only had Kyle Walker, Danilo and the goalkeeper Ederson out of the players they’ve just bought.

“Speaking to some lads when they got back, they’re saying: ‘City are taking off £200million and then they are bringing on Aguero, Toure and Sane’. That just speaks volumes to me.

“Anyone who says we don’t need any signings, I’m not buying into that.

“As a starting 11 we have one of the best in the league, without a shadow of a doubt, but after that . . .

“We played Chelsea in the Cup semi — Costa, Hazard and Cahill didn’t play.

“After 60 minutes, Conte has brought on Fabregas, Hazard and Costa and they’ve changed the match.

“I thought to myself, ‘Could we ever afford to play against a top team and afford to have Harry Kane, Dele Alli and a top centre-back not playing?’

“No disrespect to anyone but I don’t think we could do that and Chelsea did that to us. They’re still in the game, they bring on Costa, Hazard and Fabregas and they won.

“I definitely feel we need to bolster the squad.

“Under Harry, there were two Premier League-class players for every position. We are finishing even higher under Mauricio but we don’t have that depth now.

“The standard of training when there’s that much quality is amazing. I have competition for my place but why shouldn’t everyone have competition for their places?

“Top-class competition where, if you have two average games, you might lose your place. I have that and I don’t see why anyone else shouldn’t.

“I want world-class players to come through the front door to make you fight for your place.”

Rose’s England team-mate Barkley, who is being allowed to leave Everton, has long been linked with Spurs.

And Rose said: “Mauricio is a world-class manager and I can only voice my opinion — as a Tottenham ‘fan’ for the last six months.

“But hearing Ross might be available, well, I have played with and against Ross and bringing him through the door, in itself, would be a huge boost.

“I’m a huge fan. In terms of physical stature, right and left foot and trying to get him off the ball, he’s like Mousa Dembele. If Ross wants to push on to the next level, Mauricio Pochettino is the best manager to do that — just look how many players he has got into the England squad.”

While Spurs have yet to recruit this summer, there has been one significant departure — Walker’s £50m switch to Pep Guardiola’s City.

Rose, who has known Walker for 17 years since their days in Yorkshire schoolboy football, revealed he advised Pochettino not to sell the right-back.

He said: “Kyle leaving has been a big blow to me because when I play I am going into battle and when I am playing against the top people, I look over to Kyle and I fully expect Kyle to get the better of anybody.

“He was, and is, the best right-back in the league and seeing him sold to a title favourite and rival was hard.

“I wouldn’t expect Daniel Levy to tell me how to play football — we get on really well and he runs the club brilliantly — so I am not going to tell him how to run his club.

“But I didn’t want to see Kyle sold. I wish him all the best and he deserves what he is earning. City will win a trophy this season and he deserves to be part of that.

“I knew Kyle may have been moving at the end of last season and I did voice my view. ‘Try to keep him, he’s the best, why would we sell him?’ — I said that to the manager.

“But I’ve seen the manager say he feels Tottenham had the best of him and if that is what he feels, I fully respect the judgement of the manager and Daniel Levy.

I think there's enough there to suggest he could be looking at a move in the near future. He's angling for more money, he's looking at teams around him and questions whether his own team can compete with them or if Spurs even have the ambition to. Good to see he isn't drinking Levy's Kool-Aid but If i was a fan, Poch, Levy or any of their players I would be fuming with some of these comments.

Last edited:

AlecHDR

He may be England’s first-choice left-back and a member of the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for the past two seasons, but Rose has often felt under-valued and misunderstood.

He has requested this interview to put that all straight.

Rose said: “I am opinionated and I might not have long left in football.

“One thing is for sure, for the rest of this career, I will play this game how I want to play it and, while I am not going to disrespect anyone, I am going to voice my opinions.”

Rose is not demanding a transfer from Tottenham.

But in a candid and wide-ranging interview, he gives a refreshingly honest opinion on a club which has punched above its weight with two title challenges, yet has not spent a penny on players this summer.

The rampaging full-back is adamant that he is motivated more by trophies and medals than money.

But he insists he does not believe he or his Spurs team-mates are paid their true worth.

Having recently turned 27, and contemplating a return from the longest injury lay-off of his career, Rose admitted: “At my age, and having missed six months with injury, I have been thinking about this quite a lot.

I am reaching my peak and have probably only got one big contract left in me.

“Time is running out and I do want to win trophies. I don’t want to play football for 15 years and not have one trophy or one medal.

“Sorry, that’s not what I am about. I wouldn’t be happy with that. I want to win something.

“I will say this too — I will play up north. I don’t know exactly when, but I will get back up north and play some football somewhere.

“I moved away from home (from Leeds to Spurs) at 16.

“Yes I’ve got team-mates who have moved away from families in South Korea and Argentina, but I have been away for over ten years now and I don’t get to see my mum that often.

“I am going to make it my priority before I retire to play football up there.

“My short-term focus is to get back to playing like last year and if I do that the long-term will take care of itself.

“I’m not saying I want out, but if something came to me that was concrete, I’d have no qualms about voicing my opinions to anyone at the club.”

Rose is believed to earn £65,000-per-week. A move to Chelsea or either Manchester club could earn him two or three times as much.

When told he might be accused of being motivated by cash, Rose is uncommonly honest in insisting he knows his worth – and will not sell himself short.

He said: “Being injured has harmed me on and off the field in a lot of ways.

“When you’re injured you get a lot of time to think and I’ve had a lot of ‘what if?’ moments. It’s been hard to deal with.

“One thing is for sure — I know my worth and I will make sure I get what I am worth.

“I am not playing as well as I have done not to get paid what I think I am worth.

“In any walk of life, if you think you are worth a certain amount, why settle for less? I am not that person.

“If I get to levels I reached last season — and this goes out to everybody — I will make sure I get what I am worth. I don’t know how much longer I might have at this level. I’m not going to be stupid enough not to try and get the most out of it — medals, trophies and salary.

“Anyone who thinks this is primarily for money, that is not the case. But I know what I am worth.

“As with everyone else in my team, in my opinion, I am worth more than I am getting.

“I am not speaking on behalf of other players, but that is my view.”

Rose has huge respect for manager Mauricio Pochettino — he has even been referred to as the “gaffer’s son” by team-mates who joke he is a teacher’s pet.

Yet the long-serving left-back is sick of hearing suggestions he was not up to it before Pochettino arrived in 2014.

Back then Rose was unpopular with Spurs fans after tough times under Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood.

And when Pochettino handed him a new contract, many were scathing.

Rose added: “People speak about me and to me as if I had two left feet before Mauricio came to the club.

“But I want people to understand that having one average season, as I’d had, doesn’t make you a bad player. You need to distinguish that.

“I don’t usually blow my own trumpet, but I was a good player before the manager came. I am an even better one now and he has helped me become more consistent.

“But don’t ever speak about me as if I had two left feet before he arrived. I am not having that. I’ll never forget how some fans treated me when I signed a contract.

“I have been desperate to get that on record and I hope people read about my mindset on that one.

“I am happy at Tottenham, I love my team-mates and the fans have been great for the last three years.

“But I got a lot of stick before Mauricio came to the club. I’ll never forget some of the things they were saying about me.

“Now I want to win things and I want to be in the starting 11 at the World Cup with England. If I have a good season, these things will sort themselves out.”

SPLASH THE CASH Tottenham ace Danny Rose admits ‘we need two or three big buys’ and not players you have to Google to find out who they are

DANNY ROSE admits he is in awe of Manchester City and Chelsea’s squad strength — and has urged his Tottenham bosses to strike back in the transfer market.

The England left-back has singled out unsettled Everton ace Ross Barkley as one of the two or three top-class stars he believes Spurs should recruit.

As the blunt-speaking Yorkshireman put it: “I am not saying buy ten players, I’d love to see two or three — and not players you have to Google and say, ‘Who’s that?’ I mean well-known players.”

Spurs are the only Premier League side not to have bought during the summer window.

And while Rose does not want the club to lose their admirable reputation for promoting youth, he claims Mauricio Pochettino’s squad needs fresh blood.

Rose, Tottenham’s long-serving current player having joined ten years ago, said: “Under Harry Redknapp we signed Rafa van der Vaart. It was like, ‘Wow, how did he do that?’

“I mean signings like that are what we need — that’s just my opinion.

“There are three weeks to go until the window shuts and you look at Man City and think, ‘If the window shut now they would be happy with the business they have done’.

“Man United, more or less, are there — although I hear Mourinho may want one or two more players — but I am sure he’d be happy with his squad.

“As a Tottenham player I’d love to see more signings. It would lift me seeing a top player come through the door.

I’ve seen a couple of players previously saying, ‘We don’t need a top signing or signings’. But I am sorry, I am not singing off the same hymn-sheet on that one.

“I think we do need one or two top signings to strengthen the squad. I’m just not buying the idea that we don’t need anyone.”

Rose watched Tottenham’s 3-0 pre-season loss to City in Nashville last month — and had a similar sensation to seeing his team’s 4-2 FA Cup semi-final defeat against Chelsea in April.

The injured defender, 27, said: “I know it was only pre-season but I watched the game against Man City and I was just in awe of City.

“They only had Kyle Walker, Danilo and the goalkeeper Ederson out of the players they’ve just bought.

“Speaking to some lads when they got back, they’re saying: ‘City are taking off £200million and then they are bringing on Aguero, Toure and Sane’. That just speaks volumes to me.

“Anyone who says we don’t need any signings, I’m not buying into that.

“As a starting 11 we have one of the best in the league, without a shadow of a doubt, but after that . . .

“We played Chelsea in the Cup semi — Costa, Hazard and Cahill didn’t play.

“After 60 minutes, Conte has brought on Fabregas, Hazard and Costa and they’ve changed the match.

“I thought to myself, ‘Could we ever afford to play against a top team and afford to have Harry Kane, Dele Alli and a top centre-back not playing?’

“No disrespect to anyone but I don’t think we could do that and Chelsea did that to us. They’re still in the game, they bring on Costa, Hazard and Fabregas and they won.

“I definitely feel we need to bolster the squad.

“Under Harry, there were two Premier League-class players for every position. We are finishing even higher under Mauricio but we don’t have that depth now.

“The standard of training when there’s that much quality is amazing. I have competition for my place but why shouldn’t everyone have competition for their places?

“Top-class competition where, if you have two average games, you might lose your place. I have that and I don’t see why anyone else shouldn’t.

“I want world-class players to come through the front door to make you fight for your place.”

Rose’s England team-mate Barkley, who is being allowed to leave Everton, has long been linked with Spurs.

And Rose said: “Mauricio is a world-class manager and I can only voice my opinion — as a Tottenham ‘fan’ for the last six months.

“But hearing Ross might be available, well, I have played with and against Ross and bringing him through the door, in itself, would be a huge boost.

“I’m a huge fan. In terms of physical stature, right and left foot and trying to get him off the ball, he’s like Mousa Dembele. If Ross wants to push on to the next level, Mauricio Pochettino is the best manager to do that — just look how many players he has got into the England squad.”

While Spurs have yet to recruit this summer, there has been one significant departure — Walker’s £50m switch to Pep Guardiola’s City.

Rose, who has known Walker for 17 years since their days in Yorkshire schoolboy football, revealed he advised Pochettino not to sell the right-back.

He said: “Kyle leaving has been a big blow to me because when I play I am going into battle and when I am playing against the top people, I look over to Kyle and I fully expect Kyle to get the better of anybody.

“He was, and is, the best right-back in the league and seeing him sold to a title favourite and rival was hard.

“I wouldn’t expect Daniel Levy to tell me how to play football — we get on really well and he runs the club brilliantly — so I am not going to tell him how to run his club.

“But I didn’t want to see Kyle sold. I wish him all the best and he deserves what he is earning. City will win a trophy this season and he deserves to be part of that.

“I knew Kyle may have been moving at the end of last season and I did voice my view. ‘Try to keep him, he’s the best, why would we sell him?’ — I said that to the manager.

“But I’ve seen the manager say he feels Tottenham had the best of him and if that is what he feels, I fully respect the judgement of the manager and Daniel Levy.

I think theres enough there to suggest he could be looking at a move in the near future. He's angling for more money, he's looking at teams around him and questions whether his own team can compete with them or if Spurs even have the ambition to. Good to see he isn't drinking Levy's Kool-Aid but If i was a fan, Poch, Levy or any of their players I would be fuming with some of these comments.
He's spot on. He is underpaid and in the future after he has retired, few medals and a few more millions in the bank will be worth a lot more than any pleasure he could get from saying, 'I stayed loyal to Spurs.'

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some of these players need to get better agents. Why on earth would they sign multi year, low ball contracts, with a snake like Levy - only to never win anything? At the very least I'd demand a reasonable, legally binding, release clause in exchange for the comparatively low rate of pay.

Canuckred64

This mad Spurs fan I know says Rose has a sell on clause with Leeds where they get 20 percent of any fee. It would take a big offer to tempt them to sell, but he sees no chance of them being open to that regardless of what Rose is saying.
The Yorkshire Evening Post has said that Leeds gets 10% of any profit. Since Spurs only paid around £1m 10 years ago, pretty well 10% of the transfer fee will go to Leeds.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Question for someone with more insight to answer:

It's known Rose is currently the best LB in the EPL. However, he was also pretty average a few years ago until he rejuvenated himself with Poch. So my question is, 1.) has Rose individually improved that much or has his improvement been due to being a direct product of the overall team with Spurs having gotten that much better over those years? Like has he genuinely improved as a player so much that it doesn't matter what team you put him on he'll still offer the same threats and qualities regardless. Or is it a case of him fitting in perfectly at Tottenham under Poch that he naturally looks better on such a team but wouldn't be as effective elsewhere / he's not a 1 hit wonder in that sense is he? Just wondering hypothetically if he were to join a side like United, in what likelihood does he remain the effective player he is now at Spurs vs not being able to adjust and looking average like he used to in the past? And 2.) what player(s) - current or past - could Rose be compared to in terms of style of play. Or even where he'd fit on a spectrum compared to certain players? I have a rough estimate having seen him play the handful of times I have but would like to know a bit more precise the type of player he is and where he excels vs where he has tendencies of being exposed (if any).

...response would be much appreciated :]

Last edited:
Reactions: Varun

Jam

Question for someone with more insight to answer:

It's known Rose is currently the best LB in the EPL. However, he was also pretty average a few years ago until he rejuvenated himself with Poch. So my question is, 1.) has Rose individually improved that much or has his improvement been due to being a direct product of the overall team with Spurs having gotten that much better over those years? Like has he genuinely improved as a player so much that it doesn't matter what team you put him on he'll still offer the same threats and qualities regardless. Or is it a case of him fitting in perfectly at Tottenham under Poch that he naturally looks better on such a team but wouldn't be as effective elsewhere / he's not a 1 hit wonder in that sense is he? Just wondering hypothetically if he were to join a side like United, in what likelihood does he remain the effective player he is now at Spurs vs not being able to adjust and looking average like he used to in the past? And 2.) what player(s) - current or past - could Rose be compared to in terms of style of play. Or even where he'd fit on a spectrum compared to certain players? I have a rough estimate having seen him play the handful of times I have but would like to know a bit more precisely what type of player he is and where he excels vs where he has tendencies of being exposed.

...response would be much appreciated :]
In response to your first question I have two answers. He as an individual player has undoubtedly made massive improvements in recent years evident from his positioning, passing, dribbling and tackling - it's not as if he's the exact quality he was years ago and him being in an improved Spurs team has made him look better. So for that aspect yes he has improved as a player but to same point it is a hypothetical vagueness that honestly is really difficult to answer and is the risk with every single transfer. If hypothetically we bought Rose tomorrow then yes he would be a big improvement than if we bought Rose 3 summers ago but also I couldn't give you an guaranteed answer on if he would play at the level he does for Spurs, it's just a totally unknown factor. What I will say is that he wouldn't be 'bad' by any means, but there is the vagueness on if he would keep the same performance level, regress slightly or potentially play even better.

For your second question however you're better off asking a Tottenham fan like @GlastonSpur for an in-depth look at Rose.

Red_toad

"I'm not saying I want out, but..." :lol:
He earns less a week than Walker pays in tax. So obviously he's had his eyes opened on what he could possibly earn elsewhere.

For me Shaw was a far better player a few seasons ago. If we can get him back into playing on a regular basis, Shaw can easily reclaim his England shirt from Rose. I'm really hoping Shaw can make the grade at United.

Wan

Only a matter of time. Must be infuriating seeing your best players leave one after another especially when they have to pay for the new stadium and transfer funds are limited. Dele Alli, Kane and Erikssen in the next few years will leave as well you would have to think if they keep performing the way they are.

barmyarmy

That's brutally honest from Rose can't disagree with anything he said in that interview. New stadium plan will do spurs lot of bad than good if their star players leave the manager will follow soon.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He's spot on. He is underpaid and in the future after he has retired, few medals and a few more millions in the bank will be worth a lot more than any pleasure he could get from saying, 'I stayed loyal to Spurs.'
He sounds like an utter twat to be honest.

“Yes I’ve got team-mates who have moved away from families in South Korea and Argentina, but I have been away for over ten years now and I don’t get to see my mum that often"

Grow the fcuk up lad.

Wholeheartedly endorse the attitude and honesty of one last contract, medals wanted etc. But by christ he sounds like an oxygen thief.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

An excellent point. Spurs strategy of routinely offering improved contracts is a good one. But they need more structure.

Rose needs to be paid more based on the talent he has shown and performances he's delivered. I trot out the same line every time but you simply cannot value a player at £50m and pay him as if he's worth £20m. Walker is a sample size of 1, but I anticipate the scenario being repeated.

RooneyLegend

An excellent point. Spurs strategy of routinely offering improved contracts is a good one. But they need more structure.

Rose needs to be paid more based on the talent he has shown and performances he's delivered. I trot out the same line every time but you simply cannot value a player at £50m and pay him as if he's worth £20m. Walker is a sample size of 1, but I anticipate the scenario being repeated.
They need to work on getting a replacement prepared so that when he goes, someone can step right up. Its obviously going to be impossible for spurs to keep every player especially when other clubs in the same league decide to overpay average talent. Having someone like Davies is going to leave them in a bit of a pickle as he wont be able to take over from him should he leave. Also while people think this is going to harm spurs, it could help them given the sort of funds they can raise by selling players. I mean, they just got 50 million quid for a right back with an able replacement, very shrewd business.

AKDevil

The whole Sun interview thing is just a storm in a tea-cup when you read his actual comments.
Hmmmm. Not really. How often do you hear one of a team's major players come out and speak so candidly and effectively against elements of the club he is playing for, in this case spurs' wage policy and lack of signings? Fact Spurs will be fuming and he'll probably get fined also suggests it's not a storm in a tea cup.

barmyarmy

No-one forced Rose to sign a new, 5 year contract less than 12 months ago. If he wants to go now - and actually he doesn't say that he does - then he should have thought about that before putting pen to paper. He can't have it every which way ...and with Levy he won't.
Big salary might not have been the only reason for signing that contract as he clearly stated in his interview he wants to have some medals and trophies and may have sign the contract hoping he will win something as you were in the title hunt for most part of the season when Leicester won the league. Not winning anything last season & now that spurs haven't strengthened the team and looks short of challenging for the title as other teams around improved atleast in terms of players signed while being massively underpaid makes sense to voice his opinion.

Last edited:

AlecHDR

No-one forced Rose to sign a new, 5 year contract less than 12 months ago. If he wants to go now - and actually he doesn't say that he does - then he should have thought about that before putting pen to paper. He can't have it every which way ...and with Levy he won't.
Even if he was planning to leave as he was signing the contract, Levy and the fans should be thanking him. A long term contract guarantees Spurs an excellent transfer fee.

I don't get why you get so touchy whenever transfers are brought up. Spurs bought him for peanuts, made him a very good player, and during that time he helped them become a very good team. Now, if he leaves, you get a massive transfer fee. Win-win as you has had his services for a while, and then you made a truckload of profits.

We are in a similar situation with De Gea. Came here as a kid, improved massively, and although we pay him a high salary, I wouldn't begrudge him a move to RM. He signed a contract so we would get a handsome transfer fee, and we got to have him for a few years while he was performing at a very high level. If he wants to move to a team that is clearly better, or to a city he prefers, or to get paid more, so be it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Well, perhaps by suggesting to pay them 'what they are worth' they are trying to pay them what they are worth, not pay them far more than they are worth. It's not a concept hard to grasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.