Danny Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholsey2004

If we have Valencia, Young, TFM, & Lindeloff then we're probably fine for right back. If Shaw can establish himself, and hit some form... we will ironically have to hope he'll sign a new contract.
The reality is though that his five year contract has just a year and a half on it now and we're still talking about him establishing himself. We need a first choice full back imo, whatever the manager decides Vis a Vis shaw.

Decomposing In Paris

The reality is though that his five year contract has just a year and a half on it now and we're still talking about him establishing himself. We need a first choice full back imo, whatever the manager decides Vis a Vis shaw.
Well yeah, but he did have what could have been a career-threatening injury. People recover at different rates from such a thing. I honestly didn't think he'd ever recover. It's looking at the minute that Mourinho has managed him well.

If we buy Rose, I'll support him... but I'm not convinced he'd solve all our problems down the left.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There’s a bit of a dearth in terms of quality left backs at the moment. I’ve held faith in Shaw for a while now, and still believe he is our best bet. Rose isn’t an improvement on him so id be quite happy to give him another shot. If Shaw has another major injury though I think it would be time to pull the cord.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
When Rose was Shaw’s age he was still being sent out on loan. He didn’t really establish himself until he was about 24. Let’s not forget he’s only 22 and in that time he’s had a very serious injury.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let’s not forget he’s only 22 and in that time he’s had a very serious injury.
This is true, 22 years of age is still so young for a defender.
I would hope that whatever happens, we would keep Shaw as he still has time on his side to reach his potential.

I don't know about Danny Rose, I do rate him, but I just feel that even with his contract running down, it will be difficult to prize him away from Spurs with Levy being the giant ABU that he is, unless we are prepared to pay an astronomical fee.
If the fee goes into the region of £50m, well then you might just as well aim for Sandro instead, who is younger and doesn't have the injury question marks.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Interesting, he's currently injured and just signed an extension with Napoli.
I think his contract was due to expire in the summer (hence he would have been a free agent)
Probably worth it from Napolis POV as Im sure at least a % of his contract is covered by insurance and he cant walk away for free
Probably worth it for him as he wont risk not having a contract / income incase he does not recover

Devil may care

I think his contract was due to expire in the summer (hence he would have been a free agent)
Probably worth it from Napolis POV as Im sure at least a % of his contract is covered by insurance and he cant walk away for free
Probably worth it for him as he wont risk not having a contract / income incase he does not recover
Fair point, it covers both parties in case of either outcome.

The report stated we'd be interested for a summer transfer and his new deal had a generous release clause.
Yeah, I think about €40M.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Latest on Rose is he is now very happy and contented at the club so may not be as eager to leave as he once was, no idea how true this is but there was a pick in the changing room pointing at the badge. I thought he was a goner tbh.

James Peril

Latest on Rose is he is now very happy and contented at the club so may not be as eager to leave as he once was, no idea how true this is but there was a pick in the changing room pointing at the badge. I thought he was a goner tbh.
Not even in the squad tonight; is he injured/suspended?

IrishRedDevil

I’m sure his feelings about low wages remains the same though. Feeling undervalued is not something that just changes. Maybe his agent has told him to put his head down and play well to get fully fit after his injury, with the view of a transfer in the summer. He can use this 6 months at Spurs to get back to full fitness, as clubs may be reluctant to make a move for him in January as he’s clearly not fully fit yet.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably because clubs are after different targets, Chelsea are after Sandro, we're more than content with Shaw till summer by the looks of things.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’m sure his feelings about low wages remains the same though. Feeling undervalued is not something that just changes. Maybe his agent has told him to put his head down and play well to get fully fit after his injury, with the view of a transfer in the summer. He can use this 6 months at Spurs to get back to full fitness, as clubs may be reluctant to make a move for him in January as he’s clearly not fully fit yet.

Could be, just passing on what I'm hearing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Out indefinitely with a knee injury, no wonder he's kissed and made up with Spurs.

Robbie Boy

I would be delighted if this was the case.

Ikon

Out indefinitely with a knee injury, no wonder he's kissed and made up with Spurs.
That surely scuppers any January transfer...?

Nick.

Rumors that Mourinho wants Rose for £40-50m but the Glazers are refusing to back him because they believe in Shaw. Again, I fear that the Glazers will settle for top 4 every season and the spending will slow down now that we seem to be a top 4 team again.

badkins

Rumors that Mourinho wants Rose for £40-50m but the Glazers are refusing to back him because they believe in Shaw. Again, I fear that the Glazers will settle for top 4 every season and the spending will slow down now that we seem to be a top 4 team again.
Good, as if we need another injury prone defender who averages ~30 games a season, like he did in three seasons before his injury.

The Purley King

If Shaw gets back to something approaching his best, is Rose really that much better?
I don't think so.
Better defender maybe, but not as good going forward.

Litch

.....no thanks and would be another 'regular' player that we have too many of anyway.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If Shaw gets back to something approaching his best, is Rose really that much better?
I don't think so.
You obviously haven't compared the goals and assists record of both players ...

Member 90887

I don't think Rose makes sense in this window, there are more urgent position we need to strengthen.

Young was doing an excellent job and Show is back, I think we will give him till the end of the season (there's also Rojo and Blind for cover) . So LB is covered till the end of the season. Especially when you think that in the case of Rose, he won't be able to play in the CL, which is one of the 2 trophies we can still win. We'll definitly be in the top 4, the thé league is over for us.

RB, RW and a replacement for Pogba are more urgent. Especially RB and RW where we have no one. These position

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Rose is a similar standard to Shaw, and older - not worth buying IMO. Obviously he has been better in recent seasons, but it's not really a fair comparison as Shaw has hardly played. Shaw has shown good signs of getting into form when given a proper run in the team, and his attacking play can clearly develop; it looks to me like he just needs a bit more confidence to start making a much bigger attacking contribution. The real problem for Shaw is that Young has been one of our best players this season at left back.

Ikon

I don't really understand why Shaw is often credited with being so good going forward. I don't think he has ever scored a goal in his career, and only has 6 Premier League assists since 2012.
That doesn't really strike me as a player that is particularly dangerous going forward.

Danny Rose on the other hand, has 8 goals and 20 Premier League assists over the same period.

Yes I know that you have to consider playing time, injuries etc, but even so, Shaw doesn't appear to be particularly effective given these numbers.

Having said that, I don't see much sense in making a move for Rose now.
It will be a nightmare negotiating with Spurs, we will have to pay an exorbitant fee, and we might just as well look into Sandro or Ghoulam.
Young is only a short term fix, and Rojo is awful at LB, whilst Blind should be moved along.
So we do need another LB together with Shaw.

slyadams

Getting, or even wanting, Rose surely means Jose sees no future for Shaw? Considering the other areas we need to strengthen, it does seem an odd January target.

Jig1234

Don't want him. Don't need him. Shaw is playing very well. I think he can cement the LB position if given a run now till the end of the season. I actually think we need to invest in a RB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think so.
Other way around. Rose isn't that great at defending 1v1, going forward is more his thing.

Shaw is a brilliant 1v1 defender.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Mourinho fancies Ghoulam now.
No chance will we buy a player who's just come back from a majory ACL injury, look at how Zlatan/Falcao etc all looked straight after. It takes years to recover, it would be majorly foolish to not give him time to recover at Napoli first.

Dong Fangzhuo

Rose is such a weird target. He was complete garbage up until 2-3 years ago, has barely played for the best part of a year and would cost an extortionate amount.

The Purley King

I don't really understand why Shaw is often credited with being so good going forward. I don't think he has ever scored a goal in his career, and only has 6 Premier League assists since 2012.
That doesn't really strike me as a player that is particularly dangerous going forward.

Danny Rose on the other hand, has 8 goals and 20 Premier League assists over the same period.

Yes I know that you have to consider playing time, injuries etc, but even so, Shaw doesn't appear to be particularly effective given these numbers.

Having said that, I don't see much sense in making a move for Rose now.
It will be a nightmare negotiating with Spurs, we will have to pay an exorbitant fee, and we might just as well look into Sandro or Ghoulam.
Young is only a short term fix, and Rojo is awful at LB, whilst Blind should be moved along.
So we do need another LB together with Shaw.
Since 2012, Shaw has played 96 PL games. Lots of those when he was 17 or so at Southampton and obviously hugely disrupted over the last few years.
In the same period, Rose played 123 games and all of those will have been when he was 22 or older, so would be expected to be higher performing entering his prime.

I just don't see a massive difference between the two and if anything, Shaw has more potential to improve than Rose. Obviously it may not be realised, but Rose is currently not demonstrably better than Shaw, he is coming off a serious injury himself and has now injured the same knee again, whereas Shaw seems to have finally been freed of his injury concerns.
Makes no sense to spend £50m on someone who may not improve us. So we'll probably do it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.