Danny Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

Sorry but he ain't better than Shaw and he is not worth 40/50 million IMO.
A few good games hasn't put Shaw at the top again. He at least needs to prove he can stay fit and firing for a season first

Bestietom

That's your opinion which you are entitled to - doesn't make it right.
Before shaw had that terrible injury he was England number 1 left back, and Rose would have never got his place on the England side before him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Before shaw had that terrible injury he was England number 1 left back, and Rose would have never got his place on the England side before him.
That's all well and good if you ignore the fact he had that terrible injury.

Bestietom

A few good games hasn't put Shaw at the top again. He at least needs to prove he can stay fit and firing for a season first
You are all forgetting how good he was before that terrible injury. Give the lad a chance and he will get back to his best.

MadMike

I don’t really understand the talk of Rose now. It’s literally the worst timing.

Shaw is showing some signs of recovering his form and we also have the re-emergence of Ashley Young who’s been very good whenever he’s played at LB. The LB is no longer top priority for strengthening. RW, #10, RB, CM are all more important in my opinion.

On top of that, Rose has been struggling with fitness and is not yet back to his 2016 form. He’s been overtaken by Davies at Spurs. In his 2016 form, he is worth 40/50. In his current state he is not.

So I reckon all this is just media created for clicks. If we’re considering Rose, it has to be for the summer after we’ve evaluated Shaw’s progress, plugged the more urgent holes and Rose has shown some form and consistency.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Shaw can keep up his current fitness and form then we don't need another LB, just a good squad rotationer who can do a good job. Another Ashley Young would go down a treat.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don’t really understand the talk of Rose now. It’s literally the worst timing.

Shaw is showing some signs of recovering his form and we also have the re-emergence of Ashley Young who’s been very good whenever he’s played at LB. The LB is no longer top priority for strengthening. RW, #10, RB, CM are all more important in my opinion.

On top of that, Rose has been struggling with fitness and is not yet back to his 2016 form. He’s been overtaken by Davies at Spurs. In his 2016 form, he is worth 40/50. In his current state he is not.

So I reckon all this is just media created for clicks. If we’re considering Rose, it has to be for the summer after we’ve evaluated Shaw’s progress, plugged the more urgent holes and Rose has shown some form and consistency.
I think this is spot on and exactly what will happen.

ash_86

Yeah, lets keep the money to ourself and see how Shaw works out, rather than lose 40-50M.

Bestietom

At last. Someone talking sense.

Andersons Dietician

Rose was always gonna be a poor decision. Tiernay however can also play RB so I wonder if he would be valued as a squad player.

Bestietom

All factors considered, he's probably not worth it. Where did I say otherwise?
I would rather pay for an experienced prime Rose than Tierney who is close to Shaw, age-wise and not even as good.

This is what you wrote knowing his price was quoted at being 40/50 million in this debate.

Don't really know what Tierney is quoted at.

Mcking

how many times have you watched Tierney in all honesty to make that decision.
More than enough to make a decision. The problem with Shaw is his fitness, if he can stay fit, I don't see how signing a 20yearold that is not exactly better than him will suit him or us. It's a win-win situation for neither Shaw, Tierney or Man Utd.

Skills

Snitch
Avoid like a plague. If we are to get a LB it has to be of Alex Sandros ilk

Mihai92

Better forget about this lad and focus on developing Shaw.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't want us to sign Rose however the talk of seeing how Shaw goes is one that's been going on for 3/4 years now

I still say get Bertrand, cheap and at an age whereby if we do continue to stick with Shaw he won't effect his long term future, either that or spend big and get a Sandro

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I was all for this before, but he looks so average after being out for so long. Certainly no where near worth the money quoted. Would rather go for someone like Tierney - who I wasn't particularly for, but now with Shaw doing well at least Tierney would provide adequate competition.

Mcking

I would rather pay for an experienced prime Rose than Tierney who is close to Shaw, age-wise and not even as good.

This is what you wrote knowing his price was quoted at being 40/50 million in this debate.

Don't really know what Tierney is quoted at.
When you consider Shaw's recent form, it would be kind of pointless to sign a play that is almost the same age as him, and not better.
That quote does not mean I want Rose or that he's worth the price - I was exaggerating to make a point. It makes more sense, paying top dollar for an experienced and proven Rose rather than paying half the price for - refer my first paragraph - Tierney.
Not many players go for the fee they are worth these days and Rose should certainly be no exception if he moves. A player of Rose' quality should realistically move for that price if not for his poor injury record which is why I added in the other post, "all factors considered".

Silverman

LB is not a priority atm cos Shaw and Young are playing very well. Shaw also deserves to be given a chance to see how he gets on with a long stint in the team. I don't think we should sign any LB in this window. Reassess the situation in the summer and I'm sure we will be able to get someone if we feel we need someone.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Would much prefer to see us invest this money in a winger. Would be good to have more cover at LB but given Young's form and Shaw's (say it quietly) slow return to form, I reckon LB can wait until the summer.

Mcking

LB is not a priority atm cos Shaw and Young are playing very well. Shaw also deserves to be given a chance to see how he gets on with a long stint in the team. I don't think we should sign any LB in this window. Reassess the situation in the summer and I'm sure we will be able to get someone if we feel we need someone.
Spot on. If Shaw can stay fit, it would be wiser to spend on a long-term RB in the summer instead.

Silverman

Spot on. If Shaw can stay fit, it would be wiser to spend on a long-term RB in the summer instead.
Yeah because Valencia is slowing down (as expected with age) and Darmian hasn't set the world alight. Meunier would be a good shout imo.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Absolutely agree with this

PieCrust

Because Rose is better than all of Shaw, Young and Valencia. And 2 of those 3 aren't the long term answer Shaw still has huge question marks surrounding him. FB is also the weakest position on the roster.

But I would agree that the injuries / fitness record this year make this a no go deal.

As far as transfer fee's go, I just don't care anymore. The market is so inflated and hasn't recovered and maybe never will from the Neymar transfer.

Bestietom

When you consider Shaw's recent form, it would be kind of pointless to sign a play that is almost the same age as him, and not better.
That quote does not mean I want Rose or that he's worth the price - I was exaggerating to make a point. It makes more sense, paying top dollar for an experienced and proven Rose rather than paying half the price for - refer my first paragraph - Tierney.
Not many players go for the fee they are worth these days and Rose should certainly be no exception if he moves. A player of Rose' quality should realistically move for that price if not for his poor injury record which is why I added in the other post, "all factors considered".
You are entitled to your opinion mate. Maybe i am getting too old for all you youngsters but i'm watching football now since 1959 and I think I still know a player when I see one. For me Rose is not worth anywhere near the money that Levy is looking for him. They know he is injury prone but because it is Manchester United they will push us for more. You don't see anyone else rushing to buy him. So I will leave it there.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think you underestimate how good Rose is, Shaw's doing well at the moment but he isn't as good as Rose yet.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd rather play Shaw or Young and buy a younger, cheaper left back to contend with them.

Lets leave dealing with Spurs and Levy until we want one of their most important players, which seems somewhat inevitable at some point in the future.

Who's with me?

United Pro

I think if we are to spend £45m+ for a LB, it should be a world class, top 5 LB in the world, like Alex Sandro. Rose is a solid LB, but he's not been the same level this season as his previous and he's very injury prone. It's also arguable whether Rose is much of an upgrade on Young and Shaw this season. Even if he is, £40-50m for him is, with all things considered, not worth it. Shaw and Young are solid options and if we were to additionally get a future world class LB that has already played in the champions league and international level and impressed, like Tierney, then it would probably be the preferable option.
Saying that, what I'd want is to get Alex Sandro and then sell Darmian and Blind to finance most of the transfer fee.

Bestietom

Think you underestimate how good Rose is, Shaw's doing well at the moment but he isn't as good as Rose yet.
England managers believed he was before his injury and he will get back to his best given game time. Everyone have their own opinion.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mail saying we want to give them Shaw in exchange.
I think Shaw should go. I see no point in keeping a LA the manager has no fair in.
What I can't get is, Rose hasn't played at a high level for over a year now. We need someone to hit the ground running.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I think under the right manager Shaw can become a top-class fullback, but it’s pretty obvious Jose isn’t that manager, so it’s best to part ways.

Rose has been poor this season, but I imagine that’s primarily due to his lack of motivation/consistent game time after injury; I feel he wants United. At least he’d have a blank canvas next season upon which to discover his best form again.

I can’t see both both Alderweireld and Rose heading to Manchester this summer, with Martial perhaps going the other way with Shaw as well. If you want Mourinho to win, he has to have his players; Martial, Shaw and dare I say Pogba don’t have the character to succeed under him.

Deleted member 101472

I think under the right manager Shaw can become a top-class fullback, but it’s pretty obvious Jose isn’t that manager, so it’s best to part ways.

Rose has been poor this season, but I imagine that’s primarily due to his lack of motivation/consistent game time after injury; I feel he wants United. At least he’d have a blank canvas next season upon which to discover his best form again.
You’d think that only ever being picked as a left back, and spending all his minutes on the field in that position, would be what determines how good a left back he can become.

AP88

Supports
Man City
You’d think that only ever being picked as a left back, and spending all his minutes on the field in that position, would be what determines how good a left back he can become.
Psychology varies from manager to manager; Shaw needs love to flourish, not tough love. Plus playing fullback under Mourinho is different to others. You sense Shaw is constantly playing with the handbrake on under Jose, whereas Pochettino would encourage him to raid forward at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.