Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Weird comment when most fans of other clubs don't rate him at all.

He needs to reach Rooney, RVP, Ronaldo, Tevez, RVN level though no? because Berbatov and Saha weren't good enough.
I'm positive he'll become better than Tevez when he was there (who bar a few last minute goals was decent at best).

NessunDorma

5 goals in 7 starts as a centre forward this season. I think he could actually be quite prolific given a regular run in the position. And his 'poor finishing' has always seemed more down to bad decision making than technical deficiency for me. And that coolness in front of goal is something that could come with experience.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If Welbeck was our front man vs Bayern I'd have no problem with that. He's a fantastic player and more of an unknown quantity to them. The shift he outs in equals anything Rooney can do with added pace. I'm not saying he's as good as Rooney but he has attributes that would benefit is in areas Rooney doesn't (of course Rooney has atrributes Welbeck doesn't and is generally the better player but that's not the point I'm making, this is a one off game...)

NinjaFletch

Thought he was very, very good tonight.

I think to his credit he's had a very good season, if not for the bigger reputation of the player ahead of him he'd be playing a lot more up top on merit.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I thought he was absolute dogshit tonight. Has no control or first touch. Has the occasional flash of skill. Not enough though. Did not give their defenders anywhere near enough to think about tonight.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was much better in the first game, but wasn't bad tonight either considering he was playing against Lahm and his partner in attack forgot how to play a football.

Red Harry

He looks a danger to teams when he breaks quickly, but his final ball and finishing continue to be average.
Looking dangerous and being dangerous are not the same thing. Next season he needs to cross over from the one to the other.

My concern is that Moyes is still a man who is all about crossing the ball into the box, and he will find Welbeck wanting, because Danny isn't as a much a threat in the air as he might want. I think the boy keeps getting shoved out wide, or the occasional twenty minutes up the middle. No way will Moyes trust him to take a regular spot.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
No way will Moyes trust him to take a regular spot.
And yet when Danny has been played regularly the outcome is mostly positive whether in terms of goals or performance. Indeed as a proportion of those games started it might be argued that his general level of performance is more reliable than that of our other forwards [Hernandez's form has suffered due to being poorly used mind].

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I want to see him up top with Mata and Kagawa supporting at some point before the end of the season, the movement and interplay should in theory be immense.

Last edited:

Red Harry

And yet when Danny has been played regularly the outcome is mostly positive whether in terms of goals or performance. Indeed as a proportion of those games started it might be argued that his general level of performance is more reliable than that of our other forwards [Hernandez's form has suffered due to being poorly used mind].
Right, but when you have Rooney and RVP plus whoever else we pick up in summer, I just don't see him getting the nod ahead of those players, very often at all. Maybe Europa (if we qualify)or League Cup matches.

JSMHE

I want to see him up top with Mata and Kagawa supportin at some point before the end of the season, the movement and interplay should in theory be immense.
With Rooney is probably unfit next week. This should be the best opportunity to see that happen.

Chabon

Rooney never plays well against Everton and we don't want to risk him going to the World Cup injured again (we all remember the Autumn of 2010, right?), it's glaringly obvious that Welbeck should get his first start up front since January.

Robbie Boy

I've been really impressed with him as a lone front man this season; he has put in some really good displays. I feel, though, when he plays out of position, he slows the play at times and isn't all that great in possession.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rooney never plays well against Everton and we don't want to risk him going to the World Cup injured again (we all remember the Autumn of 2010, right?), it's glaringly obvious that Welbeck should get his first start up front since January.
He really should.

He's been very good when this when he's not been played out of position.

Chabon

His goalscoring stats this season tell a story. He's played about half the time either up front on his own or in tandem with one of the other strikers, and the other half as a wide player.

Up front: 12(5) - 9 goals
Out wide: 10(5) - 1 goal

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It would be ridiculous to not start him against Everton, after he has been probably our best player over last two games agai6nst Bayern and proba5bly only one who performed well against City too.

AR87

Really I think my only problem with Welbeck is his obsession with going for extravagant finishes or touches when some times he needs to just keep it simple. He's definitely made huge strides this year in front of goal though and I think even in his build up play where there seems to be a lot more decisiveness and purpose behind his touches and movement both on and off the ball, whereas in the past it seemed a bit wasteful and useless at times. Definitely should start at Everton.

Nickosaur

That makes me sad. Seeing as the rest of this season is a bit pointless, and we obviously know what Rooney (and RVP when he's back fit) can do, I'd love to see Danny start up front in the majority of our remaining games.

Will never happened, but Kagawa+Mata+Welbeck would be brilliant.

MoneyMay

Decent performance yesterday. His shooting technique was good, but I really wanted him to hit the ball first time in the first half when he was in the box.

Nickosaur

Didn't think it was anything special. A few nice tricks and touches here and there, and some decent shots too, nice to see him actually get some power behind the ball and just fecking blast it at the goal. Hope he continues to start upfront though.

JSMHE

A few nice tricks one of them a backheel pass (Probably his favourite one in the game). I think he did 2 or 3 really good shots yesterday. Would be great if he scores like what he did against Everton or Stoke City in the 3 remaining games.

Brightonian

He seems to alternate between games where his finishing is terrible and he spurns several great opportunities, and games where his finishing is good but he's thwarted by a series of great blocks, saves and the woodwork.

He was decent against Norwich but not as influential as he is capable of being. For me both Hernandez and Welbeck are best against higher-quality teams who will be looking to play more positively, and thus leave more space to exploit behind and around the defence. Our striker who is best at scoring against teams who pack the penalty area and defend for their lives is RVP, because he can both score from range (bypassing those ranks of defenders) or get shots off in very tight spaces.

MoneyMay

He's made progress on the left and that's the most important thing, IMO. I was disappointed with his composure when through on goal today. He's very good at controlling the ball, but he's not good at anticipating challenges.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I really like Welbeck and hope he can truly flourish for us but at the moment it always seems to be 'nearly' for him. I expect it's as frustrating for him as it is for us.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I do like Welbeck. He definitely gives it all and is a good squad player. For me though, that is all he is. He just lacks in general to be what I consider a first team player right now

Baxter

Got all the tools but he just needs to get it all together. Hopefully he gets a few more chances up to next season. For me he's quite clearly better than Hernandez.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He just lacks composure in front of goal, incidentally his final ball is not too good either.

For me he is not a top class striker but a decent squad player at best.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looking forward to see what he can do next season with Van Gaal at the helm. Disappointing that he got stuck on 9 league goals again after his earlier burst, but given the number of starts he got up front it's still a decent total. Target of 15 for next year.

NK86

He overhit almost all his final ball and none of his flicks came off today. But apart from that he was good. I love his acceleration from a standing point. No one in our squad has that acceleration from a standing point. Can skin his defender anytime with that.

JSMHE

He could had score today. Good ball control, just a bit unlucky. Did a lot of nice skills today. Won Mata's free kick as well. MOTM in my opinion. Would be a perfect day if he scores.

Walters_19_MuFc

Decent game from Danny today. I'm sure he can make for a great left winger next season if we continue to play a 4-3-3. His record is 6 in 10 for England, so he's shown he can play there and produce goals from the wide position.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's a shame Moyes isn't still purely because Welbeck wouldn't be.

Or at least that's why I think at various times when he plays. Sometimes he gives hints of quality but I don't he'll ever be a top striker.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
His buildup play is wonderful; he can be so bloody hard to tackle. But his end product? It's seriously worrying at times. Out of all of our attacking players, he would be the last I would expect to score a goal in the box

Status
Not open for further replies.