::sonny::

His finish is terrible, he is a bit like a fastest emile heskey

Better as an attacking winger maybe

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Feck sake, he's our third top scorer!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not a great season for him overall IMO, had a good spell in December and the start of January but hardly did anything else for the rest of the season other then a few good games. Needs to add way more consistency and end product to his game if he wants to become a key player because he flatters to deceive far too often. He's talented and very good physically but he just doesn't do enough on the pitch so far. Think van gaal can take him to the next level though.

Ubik

Says it all really doesn't it.
That he's done a good job in a shit season? Agreed.
And yet, how much would you trust him to score in the box out of 10 goes?
Depends if they required instinctive finishes or not. Not denying he needs to improve in 1-on-1 situations, just that this "he can't finish" stuff is wide of the mark.

Rossa

At times brilliant in the build-up play today, yet he struggles to make much out of it. Either his final pass is too sloppy, he runs into a defender or his finish is atrocious. Sometimes I wonder if he would make the world's most athletic central midfielder. His close control is terrific, he's very, very fast, strong, a good passer and great at linking up, but in and around the 18 yard box he seems to fall apart...

bosnian_red

At times brilliant in the build-up play today, yet he struggles to make much out of it. Either his final pass is too sloppy, he runs into a defender or his finish is atrocious. Sometimes I wonder if he would make the world's most athletic central midfielder. His close control is terrific, he's very, very fast, strong, a good passer and great at linking up, but in and around the 18 yard box he seems to fall apart...
He has awful positional sense though, so no. Would probably run around all game but always be a few steps behind.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think what this game showed is how poor Welbeck was in a positional sense. Normally, his positioning isn't too bad, but ever since he came back from injury in the middle of this season, his positional sense has gown downhill. He rarely makes good runs, he doesn't get into dangerous areas, and he often gets in the way of other forwards in the box. I don't know what happened on the training ground, but something must have happened to make Welbeck's positioning this bad.

I'm hoping that the new manager/head coach comes in and fixes Welbeck's positioning. He has everything else going for him except for his positioning and 1-on-1 decisions.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
That he's done a good job in a shit season? Agreed.

Depends if they required instinctive finishes or not. Not denying he needs to improve in 1-on-1 situations, just that this "he can't finish" stuff is wide of the mark.
I said before: He makes the easy stuff look hard, and the hard stuff look easy. If you watch all of his goals this season they are all really awkward ones to convert.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He is our Emile Heskey. Different set of attributes but of similar quality and end product.

MUFCpiffgawd

He is our Emile Heskey. Different set of attributes but of similar quality and end product.
this doesn't make any sense. If he has different set of attributes then he is not Emile Heskey. The only similarity he and Emile share is that they are black. That's about it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think what this game showed is how poor Welbeck was in a positional sense. Normally, his positioning isn't too bad, but ever since he came back from injury in the middle of this season, his positional sense has gown downhill. He rarely makes good runs, he doesn't get into dangerous areas, and he often gets in the way of other forwards in the box. I don't know what happened on the training ground, but something must have happened to make Welbeck's positioning this bad.
I'm hoping that the new manager/head coach comes in and fixes Welbeck's positioning. He has everything else going for him except for his positioning and 1-on-1 decisions.
It’s just end of the season game, I wouldn’t read that much into it. It’s difficult to make an understanding between the players if a team changes every week IMO. It’s also not easy to play left wing for majority of the game and then move up top to lead the line.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Not a great season for him overall IMO, had a good spell in December and the start of January but hardly did anything else for the rest of the season other then a few good games. Needs to add way more consistency and end product to his game if he wants to become a key player because he flatters to deceive far too often. He's talented and very good physically but he just doesn't do enough on the pitch so far. Think van gaal can take him to the next level though.
And I bet you think Kagawa, Nani and Januzaj had a better season :lol:

Welbeck had a better season than most of our players barring some of our world class players in De Gea, Rooney, Van Persie and maybe Mata aswell. His formed suffered towards the end when Rooney returned and he was consistently rotated and played in a static left midfield role. Which as a result made him question his role at the club under Moyes. This season showed good improvement in Welbeck development towards his critics who taught he could not finish. Next season, if we adopt a philosophy that is not conservative in gameplan, stop our constant players rotation and Welbeck has more licensed to roam as an attacking forward, we will be looking at a more productive season for him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It’s just end of the season game, I wouldn’t read that much into it. It’s difficult to make an understanding between the players if a team changes every week IMO. It’s also not easy to play left wing for majority of the game and then move up top to lead the line.
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, this season, but he's had this issue, before, in the middle of the season, as well. I think this could be because Moyes wanted him to play like Anichebe/Yakubu did.

Also, I did mention previously that his positioning isn't generally bad. It's just this season, since he recovered from his injury in December, his positioning has gotten worse. I'm sure this is just an anomaly and that he can improve in the next season on this aspect.

bosnian_red

And I bet you think Kagawa, Nani and Januzaj had a better season :lol:

Welbeck had a better season than most of our players barring some of our world class players in De Gea, Rooney, Van Persie and maybe Mata aswell. His formed suffered towards the end when Rooney returned and he was consistently rotated and played in a static left midfield role. Which as a result made him question his role at the club under Moyes. This season showed good improvement in Welbeck development towards his critics who taught he could not finish. Next season, if we adopt a philosophy that is not conservative in gameplan, stop our constant players rotation and Welbeck has more licensed to roam as an attacking forward, we will be looking at a more productive season for him.
No, nani was always injured and kagawa was constantly in and out of the team and only had 1 month of good form (April) and then an indifferent rest of the season just like welbeck really.

And yeah januzaj did have a better season overall, looked a great going forward almost all the time and was more consistent. Welbeck scored 10 goals in 36 games. He's not that young anymore, he's turning 24 this year so he needs to start being more productive, or even look like a threat. A lot of people have a problem with kagawa that he likes to just take a few touches and do a safe pass, but then isn't that what welbeck does in pretty much every game? He is very talented, fast and strong, does some great touches that ultimately don't lead to anything. He just has no killer instinct. I think van gaal can take him to the next level potentially but welbeck has to be focused and not believe that he's made it already as a top player, because he's not good enough yet and hasn't shown enough to start for us just yet, even though loads on here would love for him to become our main striker right away.

His form did suffer a lot since Rooney came back, but then the same happened before Rooney got injured, as in he didn't do much of note until December. So basically he had 2-3 good months and then the rest of the season he hardly out in a performance of note. That's what he has to improve, to get consistency to his game and actually impact games and get in good positions, because he doesn't do that anywhere near enough right now.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The problem is you don't fancy him one on one. Everyone knows it and there's no point avoiding it. It's what's holding him back from seriously challenging to be first/second choice. It doesn't matter about his goals to games record. When he has time to think he misses too many. Instinctively he's good and his build up play is great! He needs to change his mentality to be the player he can be.

Eila

It's his best season for us in far as league goals are concerned.
He was way better in the 2011-12 season. This season he had like two good patches of form and then the rest of the season he was just kind of there.
Not the worst season, he still managed to score 10 goals, a step up from 2 goals last season.

Conrad

Does it really matter if we fancy him in a one on one? The important thing is that he scores when given the opportunity to which the stats suggest he has this season (high conversion rate and high goals per minute). It's annoying this view that the fact that some caf members expect him to feck up when given a chance to score is more important than stats which suggest he doesn't actually feck up as much anymore. I'm not going to try and claim he's a fantastic finisher based but there definitely has been an improvement in that area of his game.

Plugsy

He was way better in the 2011-12 season. This season he had like two good patches of form and then the rest of the season he was just kind of there.
Not the worst season, he still managed to score 10 goals, a step up from 2 goals last season.
I'd not disagree. It does mean he's a 'young' player with his best season now two years behind him. Aren't players who are young supposed to progress? His starting base was decent but not insurmountable.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Does it really matter if we fancy him in a one on one? The important thing is that he scores when given the opportunity to which the stats suggest he has this season (high conversion rate and high goals per minute). It's annoying this view that the fact that some caf members expect him to feck up when given a chance to score is more important than stats which suggest he doesn't actually feck up as much anymore. I'm not going to try and claim he's a fantastic finisher based but there definitely has been an improvement in that area of his game.
Sure it matters all things being relative. What's annoying is people accepting something that the lad could quite easily improve upon because they have stats. It's like they're subconsciously saying, he can't get any better when the people criticizing him KNOW he has it in him. Stats are bullshit. Improvement? Based on last season but that wasn't hard. The lad has everything to be a 20-25+ goal striker.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
His style is more suited to an inside forward. Has pace, good link up play and movement. Also means he is less likely to have to think about shooting, and it's more instinctive when it falls nicely for him. Would hate to see him sold.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
this doesn't make any sense. If he has different set of attributes then he is not Emile Heskey. The only similarity he and Emile share is that they are black. That's about it.
Well apart from them both being English professional footballers that play in the same position in the same league.

Both are strikers that score too few goals and as a result have many many detractors, whilst also having a decent number of supporters that can find the value in a low scoring striker for the other attributes that they bring to the team.

I think that whilst different in what they bring to the team through attributes, their overall contribution and profile in the eyes of fans (especially non United fans) is similar.

Care_de_Bobo

Well apart from them both being English professional footballers that play in the same position in the same league.

Both are strikers that score too few goals and as a result have many many detractors, whilst also having a decent number of supporters that can find the value in a low scoring striker for the other attributes that they bring to the team.

I think that whilst different in what they bring to the team through attributes, their overall contribution and profile in the eyes of fans (especially non United fans) is similar.
It really shouldn't be, especially not England fans. Emile Heskey scored 7 goals in 62 games for England, Welbeck already has 8 in 21 games.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
And yeah januzaj did have a better season overall, looked a great going forward almost all the time and was more consistent. Welbeck scored 10 goals in 36 games. He's not that young anymore, he's turning 24 this year so he needs to start being more productive, or even look like a threat. A lot of people have a problem with kagawa that he likes to just take a few touches and do a safe pass, but then isn't that what welbeck does in pretty much every game? He is very talented, fast and strong, does some great touches that ultimately don't lead to anything. He just has no killer instinct. I think van gaal can take him to the next level potentially but welbeck has to be focused and not believe that he's made it already as a top player, because he's not good enough yet and hasn't shown enough to start for us just yet, even though loads on here would love for him to become our main striker right away.
Januzaj season was as good as Welbeck, not better. He also was not as consistent as you making him out to be. Januzaj form dip during mid season and was rested/used sparingly towards the end because he was not as productive as he was early in the season. Beit, the factor that Januzaj burned out should be considered because this was his first season, so he could not maintain his early season form.

Welbeck goal record is falsified when comparing his time in his natural role, compared to his time in an ineffective role outwide. So, that 10 in 36 is as meaningful as Kagawa 0 goals this season when highlighting these players quality. Given the limition of their role in the team and their history in their preferred role, it is safe to say if Welbeck plays as a striker he would be amongst the highest scorer in the league, while if Kagawa plays in the hole more consistently, his output would be much better. These players are much better than the stats you put up.

I do not understand why his critics always says Welbeck is not good enough. It is not like the Bayern, Madrid, City, Liverpool or Chelsea game where all flukes(last season and this season). He was amongst the best players in those games, so it is not about being good enough, it is about being trusted by our manager and given a more important role in our team.

Most fans taught Ramsey and Sturidge was shite players. It is funny, how things turns out for them. If Welbeck gets the opportunity to play more consistently in a role that gives him license to attack, I would put a wager that he will emulate the success of the players aforementioned.

Last edited:

Ubik

It really shouldn't be, especially not England fans. Emile Heskey scored 7 goals in 62 games for England, Welbeck already has 8 in 21 games.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison.
But but but he's black and a striker!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
To add into this discussion, in Welbeck's last 10 starts in the middle, he scored 7 goals.

In his 7 starts on the left, he scored 1 goal.

In his 11 sub appearances, he scored 2 goals.

Stats from WhoScored.com who get their stats from Opta.

Make of that what you will.

bosnian_red

Januzaj season was as good as Welbeck, not better. He also was not as consistent as you making him out to be. Januzaj form dip during mid season and was rested/used sparingly towards the end because he was not as productive as he was early in the season. Beit, the factor that Januzaj burned out should be considered because this was his first season, so he could not maintain his early season form.

Welbeck goal record is falsified when comparing his time in his natural role, compared to his time in an ineffective role outwide. So, that 10 in 36 is as meaningful as Kagawa 0 goals this season when highlighting these players quality. Given the limition of their role in the team and their history in their preferred role, it is safe to say if Welbeck plays as a striker he would be amongst the highest scorer in the league, while if Kagawa plays in the hole more consistently, his output would be much better. These players are much better than the stats you put up.

I do not understand why his critics always says Welbeck is not good enough. It is not like the Bayern, Madrid, City, Liverpool or Chelsea game where all flukes(last season and this season). He was amongst the best players in those games, so it is not about being good enough, it is about being trusted by our manager and given a more important role in our team.

Most fans taught Ramsey and Sturidge was shite players. It is funny, how things turns out for them. If Welbeck gets the opportunity to play more consistently in a role that gives him license to attack, I would put a wager that he will emulate the success of the players aforementioned.
I'm not saying he isn't good enough or doesn't have the talent. He hasn't proven it so far in his United career though, nobody can argue that. He's a very talented player but far too often just drifts through games. He's played really well in some of the big games like you say but then in plenty of other games he just drifts through them and does nothing of note. I agree entirely on your second paragraph (apart from the Welbeck being highest scorer in the league, that's not a definite thing by any means, but he has the potential) but you can't just completely discount his games playing on the left. The reason he's not able to get regular games up front is because we have 2 world class strikers already at the club, and this is Manchester United, you shouldn't be gifted spots in the starting 11 (like we sadly do with the midfield). Because of all the options we have up front, the only way for him to get games is off the wing as a wide forward or something, and when he plays there is when he usually just lacks any real penetration. Its out of position sure but there's not really much else to base his season off, other then 1 month of playing as a striker. That's why I say he hasn't had a great season. He had a great month and a half, but other then that, for various reason, was very inconsistent and didn't do much of note.

I agree if he got the chance to play consistently as a striker at a club that he'd show his worth and turn into a very good all around forward. I don't think he'd ever reach the level of Rooney or Van Persie though, the world class level, so can you justify getting rid of them or just dropping them so Welbeck can develop? He has to force his way in front of them and I just can't see that happening, especially not next season when we'll only have 1 competition to really focus on when you think about it. Welbeck will need to try and become sort of like how Muller was for Bayern under Van Gaal, and make the wide position his own and force himself as a starter, because he might not get the games in his main position. If he doesn't improve on the wing, or become productive, I can't see Van Gaal using him that much next season, as they'll just be no reason to rotate.

goldenstatesplash

He had as many league goals and 2 more in all competitions 2 years ago, only played a few more games though.
Which was by far his best and breakout season. Considering the poor showing last year, this season is definitely a bounce back. It must be some serious height in your eyes to reach before some praise can be acknowledged.

Here is to Danny being played up front for England in all games and having a belter.

bosnian_red

Which was by far his best and breakout season. Considering the poor showing last year, this season is definitely a bounce back. It must be some serious height in your eyes to reach before some praise can be acknowledged.

Here is to Danny being played up front for England in all games and having a belter.
I did praise him for his 2 month spell, but just because he improved on last seasons shite year doesn't mean it was a great season for him? It was decent, but then again, I'm not sure if he was better then he was 2 years ago, which is disappointing because now he's turning 24 and hasn't improved much from when he was 21/22.

goldenstatesplash

I did praise him for his 2 month spell, but just because he improved on last seasons shite year doesn't mean it was a great season for him? It was decent, but then again, I'm not sure if he was better then he was 2 years ago, which is disappointing because now he's turning 24 and hasn't improved much from when he was 21/22.
"He was born.. Good on the lad"...

Status
Not open for further replies.