Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivab

The very last thing he was going to do was sell Rooney to Chelsea! But besides, this isn't Ferguson's United anymore and people need to get over that. We bought a better player and LVG felt it right to honour Danny's wishes. I personally don't see much wrong with that. But then people are always desperate to moan.
investing in youth and developing players is at the very core of this club. maybe you're supporting the wrong club. nobody is moaning about Falcao coming in. People are moaning about selling Welbeck.two very different things. some people find simple things hard to grasp.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Has Welbeck said anything since his move? I'd be interested to see how he words it, though I'm sure it will be very diplomatically worded. "Fresh challenge" or whatever.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
investing in youth and developing players is at the very core of this club. maybe you're supporting the wrong club. nobody is moaning about Falcao coming in. People are moaning about selling Welbeck.two very different things. some people find simple things hard to grasp.
Then how do you explain the fact that since 90s we haven't promoted a single player who'd be essential to team's success and based our core around Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Ronaldo and Rooney? People vastly exaggerate the amount of talent United have produced for the last two decades. We have produced about 5 players good enough to have a squad role here.

RuudTom83

Um, Wayne "Loads of Money" Rooney also asked to leave twice and he is still at the club.
I'm struggle to see how that is a relevant response to what i said, but yes Rooney did request to leave and he is still a United player! sooooooo erm lets carry on discussing the loss of Welbeck :confused:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I will find it so weird seeing Welbeck in an Arsenal shirt... Like I initially found it weird watching RVP in a United one...

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
And if you read the rest of the thread you'll see I'm perfectly happy with the wealth of youth players LVG has brought into the squad this year, and will continue to do. Especially with a proven track record of doing precisely that, even in the incredibly short time he's been here. People like Wilson for example, who's chances are now increased hugely with the departure of Welbz and Chico. Or Blackett and James who he's brought up from nowhere. People are fretting over absolutely nothing. Instead they're trying to tie their own emotional reaction to Welbeck's departure (a perfectly natural thing) to a completely disproportionate club crisis to give it more weight and poignance.

Nothing we've done this window with without precedent. Even really, really recent precedent.

Kaos

Welbeck has gone from United squad player to the new Thierry Henry in the space of 24 hours :eek:
Its baffling isnt it?

A few weeks ago he was being listed as 'deadwood' by a few posters here, and now that we've sold him to Arsenal its suddenly like we've offloaded Gerd Muller.

shivab

1. We sold them Silvestre not so long ago.
2. Welbeck is 24 it's make or break for him, he had 3-4 seasons at top level now, what is the use to loan him now when he'll supposedly be in his prime? What if the loan doesn't work out and he doesn't gain game time. It won't be Arsenal's player they don't have to play him.
3. Falcao was 23 in his first season at Porto. He became 24 in the end of the season. That season he hit 34 goals. More than Welbeck in his career so far.
4. Welbeck stood out in that game with his work rate and other abilities which are not finishing. He scored 4 goals in 19 games in Europe so his goal ratio is not great there either.

He's not terrible but he's not the second coming of Henry either.
1. silvestre was finished as a player, welbeck is only getting started
2. we are going into a lot of hypotheticals here but loaning is better than selling a promising player any day. i dont see how that can be argued over
3. Yes you are right here. Falcao was trusted to play in his right position on a consistent basis and he delivered. if you look at welbecks stats as a CF you would be surprised. i dont see how welbeck can be judged without giving him a real chance in his correct position.
4. He was played up top against bayern where yes he messed up finishing wise. But against madrid he was deployed on the flanks. The point here is, a player can have one bad game or a couple. but if hes consistently playing well against world class opposition, there must be something there.

theres no doubt welbeck isnt the second coming of henry. but he has some attributes that none of our forwards have, including falcao, which is genuine pace. the only way he could have become better in his weak areas is if he were given a chance, which he has not got on a consistent basis.

I only hope that the same thing does not happen to Wilson

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Welbeck has gone from United squad player to the new Thierry Henry in the space of 24 hours :eek:
:lol:

Never his biggest fan, but always sad to see a local boy leave. Pace, power & skill to burn but lacks the football brain to be a top player (imho). Hope he does well for Arsenal, hopefully he'll be given his chance to be an out and out striker. He's potentially another Sonogo, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. Good luck Danny, and thanks for all your..... erm.... effort

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its baffling isnt it?

A few weeks ago he was being listed as 'deadwood' by a few posters here, and now that we've sold him to Arsenal its suddenly like we've offloaded Gerd Muller.
Some listed him as deadwood. Some like myself thought this would be his breakthrough season. He looked brilliant in pre season and helped raise the performance levels of the players around him. I don't think he'll be anything like Henry, but he'll score a bucket load of goals at Arsenal as long as they play him as a CF (which they will). The "he's shit at shooting" is a load of bollocks. He's just not got a goal threat when shunted out on the wing.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I only hope that the same thing does not happen to Wilson
You do realise that getting rid of Welbeck makes it much more likely that it doesn't happen to Wilson, as the rest of our current strikers will be winding down just as he should be coming ready to be a regular for us.

:lol:

Never his biggest fan, but always sad to see a local boy leave. Pace, power & skill to burn but lacks the football brain to be a top player (imho). Hope he does well for Arsenal, hopefully he'll be given his chance to be an out and out striker. He's potentially another Sonogo, but it'll be interesting to see how he does. Good luck Danny, and thanks for all your..... erm.... effort
I don't think he lacks a football brain, I just think he lacks composure and a proper striker's instinct.

shivab

And if you read the rest of the thread you'll see I'm perfectly happy with the wealth of youth players LVG has brought into the squad this year, and will continue to do. Especially with a proven track record of doing precisely that, even in the incredibly short time he's been here. People like Wilson for example, who's chances are now increased hugely with the departure of Welbz and Chico. People are fretting over absolutely nothing. Instead they're trying to tie their own emotional reaction to Welbeck's departure (a perfectly natural thing) to a completely disproportionate club crisis to give it more weight and poignance.

Nothing we've done this window with without precedent. Even really, really recent precedent.
Hes a player whos started when we've played the very best in the CL. I dont remember us selling someone of that caliber to a direct rival ever before. correct me if im wrong here please. Even though this is not fergies united anymore and we have to compete with the likes of City, i dont think this is the right way to go about things.

we've bought a lot of good players that every fan would be delighted to see play. But no United fan would want players like Welbeck to be sold to direct rivals. Just doesnt make any sense at all. Fergie epitomized everything that was good about united and going by his rules, i personally cannot approve of such a transfer strategy.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Funny as feck. We sign Costa, Utd sign Falcao, Liverpool sign Balotelli, Arsenal sign... Welbeck. Excellent

Count Orduck

Apparently Welbeck has said in his first interview with Arsenal's press team that he's delighted to be moving to a club that can offer Champion's League football. Ooooh, spicy :lol:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Fergie epitomized everything that was good about united and going by his rules, i personally cannot approve of such a transfer strategy.
During his era, yes. But his is not the only era of Manchester United, and there'll be many more to come. No one is bigger than the club. Roll with the punches, or cry over spilt milk. Your choice.

Mister_Stubbs

Funny as feck. We sign Costa, Utd sign Falcao, Liverpool sign Balotelli, Arsenal sign... Welbeck. Excellent
How dare you.. Danny Welbeck is a god (well to many on here anyway, feck knows why.. maybe because he comes from Manchester).

Apparently Welbeck has said in his first interview with Arsenal's press team that he's delighted to be moving to a club that can offer Champion's League football. Ooooh, spicy :lol:
I expected something along those lines.. I looked forward to every tweet mocking us about champions league and Welbecks involvement blah blah

Enigma_87

You know who
Etc....? 7 players doesn't quite sound like a squad to me. :houllier:
Do you really think that now we have more stars/world class players or whatever compared to 08? Really? We also then got Berbatov after one season and let's not forget how good VDS was.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Welbeck has gone from United squad player to the new Henry in the space of 24 hours :eek:

I bet he wasn't getting such praise last season after trying to chip Neur.
Literally, nobody in this thread has called him the new Thierry Henry.... Well apart from you, in this post.

Still, why let what people actually have said get in the way of being over-dramatic on the Caf aye?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He played his part in us not qualifying for this season's Champions League, so f*ck him if he has said as much.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was comparing Arsenal to his other options like Spurs and Sunderland.

Dunk

Body language expert
Well, it's thanks to the likes of him we don't have Champions League football... So, here's hoping he achieves the same at Arsenal!!!

Weird Fishes

Really disappointed to see Danny go. Felt that his performances during December and January last season solidified that he should've been given more of a chance in a partnership with either Rooney or Van Persie (whoever is fit, really) and I expected him to flourish under Van Gaal's leadership this season.

I'm far from the biggest critic of the Rooney-RVP partnership but I think we were a better side with Welbeck's pace, skill and strength. As someone who's already struggling to understand why we'd let Welbeck go, this transfer becomes even stranger and seems very short-sighted considering the age and injury concerns of our other strikers, especially RVP.

Wish him luck at Arsenal. He deserves to play regularly and I've got a feeling he'll be a great player for them. Sad times cause I love Welbz :(

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I will make an easy prediction. Welbeck will become a fan favorite at Arsenal. Most of the fans might have wanted Cavani or Falcao instead, but Welbeck is the type of striker that Wenger has breed through over the years he has been at the club. Although, most of them ended up leaving, their accomplishment was not forgetten.

Nevertheless, at the end of all of this, Arsenal fans will be glad they bought him over the more expensive option because most notably, Welbeck will work much harder, he is a team player rather than an individual and he has the drive/ambition to achieve great things. If you have doubt about his goal ratio, you should probably be aware that his goal ratio when played as a striker is good enough for any top team. Looking at how things turned out, I would have been much more content if you guys took back Van Persie, but we can not do anything about the past. He will be a great signing for Arsenal.

Well, it's thanks to the likes of him we don't have Champions League football... So, here's hoping he achieves the same at Arsenal!!!

Bullshite. It was thanks to him and Rooney/Januzaj amongst few others that we did not finish less than seventh. When he had his spell upfront, he managed to make Moyes win manager of the month, which should be an accomplisment of itself. Welbeck and Kagawa suffered the most in regards to the type of football we played last season.

JSMHE

And Januzaj has played in every single game this season.
Not starter though. So another our own produce player which worry me now. Pogba -> Welbeck -> ??? Please don't be Januzaj..

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't even get why people think he's good on the wing. He made 10 apps for us as a left wing last season and we only won 1 game! Drew 5, lost 4! Scoring 0 goals and 1 assist. The lads a CF. Always pissed me off watching him play in that position (left wing).

Walters_19_MuFc

Do you really think that now we have more stars/world class players or whatever compared to 08? Really? We also then got Berbatov after one season and let's not forget how good VDS was.
You've obviously missed my point. Regardless of whether we had more stars/world class players compared to 08, we still didn't have a squad of world class players.

JSMHE

He hasn't even put together a goodbye letter. He has been here since he was 8 years old. Total dick.
Relax, he hasn't do his interview or press conference yet and he doesn't have public media like Twitter or FB to share. We will hear it soon.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Weirder things have happened. Adebayor joined Arsenal as a 21 year old, having scored 8,9, and 1 goals in his two and a half seasons at Monaco, where he played lots of games.
He then scored 4 goals in the second half of 2005/06, 8 goals in 29 the season after.
He then hit 24 in 36 and 10 in 26. And has since had good years and poor years, with the poor years being as much down to his motivation as his talent.

No reason why Welbeck can't score a good number of goals under Wenger, who we all know is good with strikers and is extremely patient. He's right up Wenger's street, to be honest. Anywhere else and I wouldn't back him to start scoring as much.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he starts scoring goals, and I don't even rate Welbeck as highly as some on here.

JohnnyLaw

Then how do you explain the fact that since 90s we haven't promoted a single player who'd be essential to team's success and based our core around Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Ronaldo and Rooney? People vastly exaggerate the amount of talent United have produced for the last two decades. We have produced about 5 players good enough to have a squad role here.
Which would make Welbeck all the more treasured among fans as he actually looked like he could go all the way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't even get why people think he's good on the wing. He made 10 apps for us as a left wing last season and we only won 1 game! Drew 5, lost 4! Scoring 0 goals and 1 assist. The lads a CF. Always pissed me off watching him play in that position (left wing).
Problem for Danny is that there has always been better than him available to play in his preferred position, unless we had an injury crisis. We have now signed another player who is better than him in his preferred position, so he was never going to play there. At Arsenal he will get his chance to either prove us right or prove us wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.