Danny Welbeck to Sunderland (Loan Watch)

Ferguson

Every season injuries are inevitable. In big matches this season we've depended on Fletcher and the twins on the wings, on O'Shea in the midfield, and on a 20 year old in central defense.

The difference between a Macheda or an Obertan sitting in the reserves and not getting opportunities to play and a Smalling or a Fabio getting playing time is whether or not they can be relied upon to do a job when called upon.

Last season Welbeck fell in the former category of a player still too inconsistent to be relied upon. Having watched his performances for Sunderland I have no doubt that were we to lose one or two strikers to injury in the middle of next season, Danny would be able to step in and get goals when called upon. Furthermore he can provide much needed cover on the wings should another injury crisis hit there again next season.

He's now a player you could have on your bench who would provide fresh options as a substitute. IMO we're sorted up top for next season with Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez and Welbeck.

Cold_Boy

I am surprised tbh that he has never clearly said he wants a future at Unitd only.

I thought he was a Manc and a fan too.

Jase

I am surprised tbh that he has never clearly said he wants a future at Unitd only.

I thought he was a Manc and a fan too.
He's also a footballer. It's a good sign that he values being a first teamer and a starter rather than being content with a minor role at a big club, though I'm sure his main ambition is to make it at United.

SecondFig

well exactly.

Do we really have a better 4th striker option than Welbeck currently?

Bruce may want him. Does not mean Sir Alex is going to let him go.
No, but is that what's best for his development? Look at the difference between him as a player now, and when he was making sub' appearances for us last season - or even when he played his first few games for Sunderland. Regular first team football has made a massive difference to his development, and he won't get regular first team football if he's sat as our 4th choice striker next season.

Personally, as I've said before, I'd prefer to see him spend next season on loan at Sunderland again. Bring Kiko back, he'll do for 4th choice (assuming we sell Owen and Diouf in the summer)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Danny Welbeck is enjoying his time at Sunderland, but claims to have no idea what his future will hold.

The striker is edging towards the end of a productive season-long loan spell on Wearside, with his reputation having been considerably enhanced during his time in the North East.

Black Cats boss Steve Bruce has already revealed that he would be happy to strike a deal which will see the 19-year-old join his ranks on a permanent basis.

Manchester United will have some say in what happens next, though, with Welbeck still their player.

It remains to be seen what Sir Alex Ferguson has planned for the youngster, with the Red Devils likely to be reluctant to see a player of such potential slip through their grasp.

Another loan switch next season is a possibility, but for now Welbeck insists his focus is locked firmly on ending the 2010/11 campaign as positively as possible.

"I am generally happy with what has happened this season and I thank Steve Bruce for that," he told The Journal.

"I have not thought about what is happening at the end of the season or heard about it. I am going to play the rest of this season then, come the end of May, I will start to decide.
Benefits

"I have benefited from playing every week at Sunderland. You could see the benefits of playing another year on loan, but there are also negatives as well.

"I'll see what happens. I've not really been thinking about it. I had a chat with Sir Alex when I went back there for treatment [on a recent hamstring injury].

"He is really happy with how the season has gone. He said a few things, but I'm not going to say what.

"Whatever happens in the future, this move to Sunderland has been great for me. I have grown more confident as player and person. I am better mentally. I know more about the Premier League and it has been a great benefit."

For now Welbeck is more concerned with getting more priceless minutes under his belt, having endured a frustrating time of late.

He has managed just one outing since his return from injury, against Arsenal, and admits he is itching to get back into the swing of things against Liverpool on Sunday.

He said: "At the start I felt a bit stiff, but I'm looking forward to playing more now. I feel good in training and happy to play. It's like a personal derby for me if I play Liverpool. I have been doing a lot in the gym, running, a few sprints.

"It was nice to be back at Arsenal, but to miss another week, in a blank week, was like being injured again. I have a few games coming up now though. We have been a bit unlucky in recent games, so to have players coming back from injury is a massive boost - that includes me."

Welbeck coy on future | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News
My guess is that, "you've got a future here at Utd as long as you keep on working and improving".

RedRover

He's also a footballer. It's a good sign that he values being a first teamer and a starter rather than being content with a minor role at a big club, though I'm sure his main ambition is to make it at United.
Hits the nail on the head.

The question is whether he realistically thinks he's likely to progress at United and get regular games.

H may have the ability to put in some decent performances for United, in fact, given how he's player for Sunderland its fair to say he does - but its all got to be put in context.

The question is whether he's got enough at the moment to be astarter ahead of Berbatov, Rooney and Hernandez. He may back himself and fair play but its not unrealistic to suggest he'll start few games next season. Could be even worse for him if United pick up a top attaking midfield player and go back to playing one up top.

I've said it before but I think that if a good offer comes in United may be tempted to sell and invest the money elsewhere. He's played well for Sunderland and his stock is high - if he comes back and sits on the bench for 18 months that won't be the case.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hits the nail on the head.

The question is whether he realistically thinks he's likely to progress at United and get regular games.

H may have the ability to put in some decent performances for United, in fact, given how he's player for Sunderland its fair to say he does - but its all got to be put in context.

The question is whether he's got enough at the moment to be astarter ahead of Berbatov, Rooney and Hernandez. He may back himself and fair play but its not unrealistic to suggest he'll start few games next season. Could be even worse for him if United pick up a top attaking midfield player and go back to playing one up top.

I've said it before but I think that if a good offer comes in United may be tempted to sell and invest the money elsewhere. He's played well for Sunderland and his stock is high - if he comes back and sits on the bench for 18 months that won't be the case.
He can play out wide, so doesn't need to start instead of any of them.

He's only just turned 20 and is a local lad, brought up as a United fan. I seriously doubt Welbeck be in any great hurry to force a move and we already know how patient Fergie can be when it comes to bringing young talent through into the first-team.

RedRover

He can play out wide, so doesn't need to start instead of any of them.

He's only just turned 20 and is a local lad, brought up as a United fan. I seriously doubt Welbeck be in any great hurry to force a move and we already know how patient Fergie can be when it comes to bringing young talent through into the first-team.
Plenty of players can play iin a variety of positions - doesn't mean they'll get picked. I still don't think that as a winger he'll play as regularly as he plays at Sunderland. Regardless, thats a matter for him and as I said - fair play to him if he wants to battle for a place - its to be commended.

I hope he stays and does well, always good to see young players coming through but I was just being pragmatic. He may be in no rush to leave but if a bid of say, £10 million comes in and is accepted - he might deem that confirmation that he's not in the regular first team plans and its time to move on.

Fergie has been patient in the past but he's perhaps not now in the position he was, being able to spend without balancing the books. He also needs to address at least two positions for the first time in a long time - so its not unreasonable to suggest that if he spends big, the board may want to recoup some money on a player who United have done without for this season, especially when we're well stocked in that department already.

To be fair its all guess work and depends on what happends regarding reinforcements over the summer I suspect.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Any news on his injury?

Doesn't get the credit he's due for his intelligence.

Viper KGB

His link up play today with Gyan was fantastic, another season there could do him the world of good.

Hope the injury isn't serious, Sunderland really need him

twitter thread suggester
He did look uncomfortable when he went off, but that could easily just have been disappointment with being subbed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm pretty certain it was an injury because when Welbeck was taken off Phil Bardsley wasn't too happy as he'd picked up a knock and he made Bruce aware of this to which Bruce replied "Danny's fecked too!"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
No, it was his first start since January. And he came off right on the hour mark. Prolly knackered.

prateik

Richardson went off with what looked like a hammy. Malbranque had to be rush through his warm up.. It certainly wasnt tactical.

Sir A1ex

Confirmed here - all three subs were for injuries.

Welbeck's injury being...

...fatigue.:houllier::lol:

Turns out Bardsley and mini-Rio were also injured. Now I understand how the scousers were able to win.

Eugenius

Scored for England U21s. I'd like to see him given a chance to be in the England squad at some point though, just to get a feel for it. Though I doubt Capello cares about England's long term future beyond his payday.

BaldwinLegend

Scored for England U21s. I'd like to see him given a chance to be in the England squad at some point though, just to get a feel for it. Though I doubt Capello cares about England's long term future beyond his payday.
I think Welbeck's in the right place at the moment in the u21's. Can only be a matter of time till he gets called up to the main squad and experiences like tonight will stand him in good stead.

Incidentally, I disagree with the casual dismissal you made of Capello there - whatever else he's had thrown at him on here the last week or so I'd say the one thing he's got right is knowing which players to promote and which to allow to get experience in the u21's - was great seeing players like Cleverley, Smalling, Sturridge, Welbeck and Henderson getting playing time tonight.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Cracking goal too.
Or, as PS would put it, another fluke.

Scholesly would probably say it didn't impress him much because he was a little off balance just before the strike.

He's impressed at every level and shown pretty much every area of his repertoire while doing so, it's quite exciting.

Inigo Montoya

Be great if someone could post a vid of the goals.Apparently his goal was left foot finish.

Inigo Montoya

Quality goal. Welbeck has all the potential.
Left foot as well which is a bonus...if he's developing into an allround forward then we have a real star in the making here.

Apparently had a goal wrongly ruled out for off side

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's ready to be a first teamer here imo. Problem is its very hard to give 4 strikers alot of games without effecting their confidence. Espically when 1 of them (Rooney) wouldn't like to be benched.

I know what my head is saying, and its that we have 3 young exceptional strikers on our books. I wonder what would happen if we get a decent offer for Berbatov?

Mmm.