Danny Welbeck

Womp

idiot
he spent 2 years injured. I think his knee's are done.

He can never seem to strike a ball without falling to the ground, which is really weird as a lot of his 'shots' rebound off keeper back towards him so he could have got a few more goals if he could actually stay on his feet.
That's got nothing to do with his knees, pal. He was the same here too. Was phenomenal at the buildup etc. but couldn't finish his dinner.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s average and always has been. He’s not got many uses left since his injuries. He doesn’t even seem that fast anymore

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Under Moyes, when we were preparing to face Bayern in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, the coaching staff spent days analysing Neuer and telling our attackers that he often stands tall during 1v1s so DO NOT TRY CHIP HIM OR DINK FINISH if you get in there. 'Pick a corner and go low.' What does our Danny do in the first leg with the scores at 0-0? Gets in 1v1 with Neuer, loads of time to pick his spot, and he tries to dink it over him. Neuer stood up and gratefully caught the ball in his hands.

That sums up Danny Welbeck for me and will always be my everlasting memory of his time here, unfortunately.

Last edited:

nikineil

Do we still have to start on this part all over?

Edit: Ninja'd
And if I remember correctly, Wenger did not even want to sign him on a permanent deal. He wanted a loan. He promised to tell all in his next book though...:)

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
That's got nothing to do with his knees, pal. He was the same here too. Was phenomenal at the buildup etc. but couldn't finish his dinner.
no look at the way he falls over in slow motion. He falls in such a weird way, think its do to with all them operations.

Kostov

Still think he was a really good player for us, and I was sad when we sold him. Injuries set him back at Arsenal. He could have had a very good career if some fine margins had gone his way.

Always found it disgusting how some people on here enjoyed watching him fail. He was a Manchester lad, always tried his hardest, generally did well for us and didn't leave because he wanted to. Doesn't deserve the ridicule.
He didn't mind that whenever he scored against us didn't he?

tomaldinho1

Welbeck was never good enough to start IMO although he could have been a very good option from the bench.

LVG 's best act for us was that big summer blowout. So many 'ok' players with nostaligic attachments/somehow unrealised potential that made it hard for fans to think objectively (Chicarito, Welbs, Rafael, Evans, Nani, Kagawa).

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Under Moyes, when we were preparing to face Bayern in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, the coaching staff spent days analysing Neuer and telling our attackers that he often stands tall during 1v1s so DO NOT TRY CHIP HIM OR DINK FINISH if you get in there. What does our Danny do in the first leg with the scores at 0-0? Gets in 1v1 with Neuer, loads of time to pick his spot, and he tries to dink it over him. Neuer stood up and gratefully caught the ball in his hands.

That sums up Danny Welbeck for me and will always be my everlasting memory of his time here, unfortunately.
That story is famous now. All he had to do was slot it in either side of Neuer. I remember Moyes's reaction as well.

RedDevil@84

Under Moyes, when we were preparing to face Bayern in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, the coaching staff spent days analysing Neuer and telling our attackers that he often stands tall during 1v1s so DO NOT TRY CHIP HIM OR DINK FINISH if you get in there. What does our Danny do in the first leg with the scores at 0-0? Gets in 1v1 with Neuer, loads of time to pick his spot, and he tries to dink it over him. Neuer stood up and gratefully caught the ball in his hands.

When I saw Danny go 1v1 with Neuer, I was pretty sure he will just fall down trying something.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Once in a while we are obligated to sell you the silvestres and the welbecks to get our hands on their RVP's and Sanchez's. Amazing foresight from the club though. Long may this trend continue. :lol:

ti vu

He has bad balance and i believe he would also fall occasionally while walking on the street.
Something definitely is very wrong with his coordination.

Warming up. No pressure. Easy pass to control. Still can't sort out his feet.

Verbalkint

Something definitely is very wrong with his coordination.
It's like he's gone a few rounds with Anthony Joshua:)

On a more serious note though, this guy was great in the buildup wasn't he..he'd also get into many scoring positions other forwards would probably not find themselves in.The trouble lies in his finishing, and in the end that's what matters for a striker. I like Danny, he's a good lad but nowhere near world class.

Green_Red

Just wrong decisions. Keeps coming back onto his right. When did players start being afraid to go past a defender and go to the byline and cut it back?

Wilshire was horrendous for Arsenal yesterday too. Bournemouth played a good game in fairness.

Greck

no look at the way he falls over in slow motion. He falls in such a weird way, think its do to with all them operations.
He was nicknamed bambi on ice or something similar by our senior players because of how he always fell over. This was long before the injuries

pascell

Looked to me yesterday like he'd lost a yard of pace, knocked it past a defender and stopped running as he knew he couldn't get round him and then blamed another player for not going for the ball.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Was always overrated and never good enough to be starting games for either United or Arsenal. If he'd have stayed injury free he'd have been a good squad player. And to be fair to him he was superb in those two games v Madrid in SAF's final season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Was always overrated and never good enough to be starting games for either United or Arsenal. If he'd have stayed injury free he'd have been a good squad player. And to be fair to him he was superb in those two games v Madrid in SAF's final season.
Didn't he miss a 1 on 1 in the away leg?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Poor Danny, it must be hard for him to finally acknowledge that he's mid tier team at best.

The Bloody-Nine

Welbeck’s career is easily split into two: the roll of honour and the experience. He was in Manchester United’s first-team squad when they won three Premier League titles, but started only 14 matches across all three. He has won two FA Cups, but started only five games in both runs combined. He has won the Champions League, but didn’t play a minute in the competition that season. He has felt eternally useful to England, but has not started a competitive game for almost three years. Welbeck has started more than 20 league games in a season twice in his career, and never scored ten league goals. He has managed fewer than 120 Premier League starts in his entire career.
Decent read.

http://www.football365.com/news/welbeck-in-danger-of-becoming-***-forgotten-guy

EDIT it would appear that a forum filter is f*cking up the link. Change the three asterisks to d a t, with no spaces, and copy and past the link into your browser.

Aboutreika18

Could've still been a useful player but the injuries have really caught up with him.

Fergie got the best out of him by using him in a supporting role in big games. Never been clinical enough to be a first choice striker though.

Minkaro

Could've still been a useful player but the injuries have really caught up with him.

Fergie got the best out of him by using him in a supporting role in big games. Never been clinical enough to be a first choice striker though.
Agreed. I thought his biggest strength was the pressing work he did. Against a team that played a controlling DM, or CBs that played from the back, I’d have him in to harass them, and play it to a proper #9.

Otherwise he’s probably best on the wing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's shit, £16M for him was amazing business.
At the time, with him him being young and English, I thought £16m was a bit low and we should have got a lot more. A few English players moved around the same time for higher fees. Lallana being one, who I thought Welbeck was much better than at that time.

But as the seasons go by and how totally forgettable he has become, it was a great deal on our behalf. Lallana improved. Welbeck practically disappeared.

Bet he still keeps scoring against us though, the git.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Michael Cox was tweeting about him the other day, saying how he's being misused at Arsenal but would have probably thrived in a parallel universe where Fergie never retired. The next Park Ji Sung. Which kind of makes sense. Although the injury problems probably would have messed that up too.