Danny Welbeck

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't disagree, but the amount of games he has missed has been staggering. Was he this injury prone at United?
There were some warning signs at United. Don't think he was the type of player that picked up a load of different injuries but I remember being concerned about the reported cartilage problems in his knee. That was a real worry in someone so young.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He'll be missed by Arsenal. Despite the unbridled joy on here every time he misses a chance he's actually missed fewer "big chances" than Kane, Aguero and Lukaku and his off the ball work has been outstanding.
He's a much poorer striker than all of them though, and that is a positive for rival teams if he is starting as Arsenal's main striker.

However he offers quite a lot otherwise, but not as a main centre forward for a team with any genuine title ambitions.

I would have minded him staying at United, but not as our first choice striker.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was browsing through Am.
Every single post slating him and begging to get rid.
Pretty sad how his career has panned out.
Will be 28 this year. How time flies.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Was browsing through Am.
Yurp, had all the potential but couldn't make the jump.

Jev

Still think he was a really good player for us, and I was sad when we sold him. Injuries set him back at Arsenal. He could have had a very good career if some fine margins had gone his way.

Always found it disgusting how some people on here enjoyed watching him fail. He was a Manchester lad, always tried his hardest, generally did well for us and didn't leave because he wanted to. Doesn't deserve the ridicule.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Was browsing through Am.
That 16 million we got for him, looks like a good deal, for us.

Greck

A striker with zero predatory instincts. Which is a shame as he's smooth outside the box.

Still remember united fans saying he was young and would improve his predatory and striking fundamentals when he just never had the innate ability to be good at it in the first place.

ti vu

Still think he was a really good player for us, and I was sad when we sold him. Injuries set him back at Arsenal. He could have had a very good career if some fine margins had gone his way.

Always found it disgusting how some people on here enjoyed watching him fail. He was a Manchester lad, always tried his hardest, generally did well for us and didn't leave because he wanted to. Doesn't deserve the ridicule.
Do we still have to start on this part all over?

Edit: Ninja'd

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I have nothing against him, even quite like him, but the only annoying thing about selling him was that we didn't get more for him. Somehow we didn't benefit from the English Tax that other clubs are bent us over for. At the time he was young with potential and he had quite an excellent fitness record. Definitely should have been able to get more for him than we did.

In hindsight, how he has broken down on numerous occasions and he's not at all come close to fulfilling any potential he had, £16m was probably decent, but at the time, he was worth more.

It was funny that when he was here, he was ridiculed by non-United fans often, usually when he was called up for England, but it seemed that as soon as he joined Arsenal he was going to be a pivotal player for club and country, and Van Gaal was making a whopper of a mistake.

Kag

He left because Van Gaal made it very clear to him he was going to be fifth choice behind Van Persie, Rooney, Falcao and Wilson.

It was heavily reported and suggested to be the case at the time so I don't know why it's getting rehashed.

On a footballing level, he's had some shocking injuries. I'm amazed he's now 28.

ti vu

He left because Van Gaal made it very clear to him he was going to be fifth choice behind Van Persie, Rooney, Falcao and Wilson.

It was heavily reported and suggested to be the case at the time so I don't know why it's getting rehashed.

On a footballing level, he's had some shocking injuries. I'm amazed he's now 28.
The smoke of him wanting out was already there during Moyes' season LVG just accelerated thing but didn't mean he has to go if he's not persistent on being a forwards.

Injuries are no excuse for not making the mark at this age. RVP comes to mind. Even Falcao sort of finding his feet again after spending 2 whole seasons as failure in PL.

Perhaps, Welbeck is always not all that. He is a good & useful player for some role, specific tactic; but never the players some people wishfully thinking he would become with age.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Who needs Sanchez when you have this type of creative prowess around the final third?

Revaulx

Agree with the rest, but the bolded bit simply isn’t true

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
i thought that's exactly what he did
That's what I thought, he was in the England squad and wanted regular game time which LvG would not guarantee him. It's sad when you see how hard Lingard has worked and now is a valuable member of the squad and get's vital goal for the team. Danny wanted what he thought was the easy route and it has all gone wrong for him.

Zlatattack

I reckon he should be converted to a wide midfielder and not a striker. He's never been consistent in front of goal, but could beat man.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I reckon he should be converted to a wide midfielder and not a striker. He's never been consistent in front of goal, but could beat man.
That's what he was under Fergie. A wide man that would graft so better attackers could flourish. He was never a first choice striker and rightfully so.

Greck

Who needs Sanchez when you have this type of creative prowess around the final third?
Doesn't know how to get on the end of chances and when he's lucky enough to get one, his coordination turns to shite. Another Arsenal player at heart. The only thing surer than their technical abilities are their comical mental flaws

J_Red 11

He might be average but I think he can be a useful player if you know how to use him. I don't think Arsenal used him properly like how Sir Alex used him. IMO his best position is 2nd striker, Sir Alex was able to get the best out of him against Real Madrid in that role. You can't expect him to be creative player to create chance for their no 9 Lacazatte, he can't cross & pass!

However, he's just injury prone and I'm glad we sold him with a good amount of money, I thought we were wrong.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He might be average but I think he can be a useful player if you know how to use him. I don't think Arsenal used him properly like how Sir Alex used him. IMO his best position is 2nd striker, Sir Alex was able to get the best out of him against Real Madrid in that role. You can't expect him to be creative player to create chance for their no 9 Lacazatte, he can't cross & pass!

However, he's just injury prone and I'm glad we sold him with a good amount of money, I thought we were wrong.
So what does he do if he’s a forward and he can’t cross, can’t pass and can’t finish? All he’s got going for him is his pace and work-rate, he’ll stretch the play running the channels but that’s about it. He’s basically everything people complained Lingard was before his recent form, but without the technique.

J_Red 11

So what does he do if he’s a forward and he can’t cross, can’t pass and can’t finish? All he’s got going for him is his pace and work-rate, he’ll stretch the play running the channels but that’s about it. He’s basically everything people complained Lingard was before his recent form, but without the technique.
Like I said before he can be useful player. You can use him to mark player and close down player like Xabi Alonso.

redIndianDevil

He just didn't pick a position he wanted to play and develop his skills accordingly, even today at 27 years old he has no idea what he is supposed to be.

I'm seeing all his mistakes now being made by Rashford and hope he sees this and improves.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Like I said before he can be useful player. You can use him to mark player and close down player like Xabi Alonso.
So essentially he's a ST who's useless with the ball and who's only redeeming quality is that of a CB.

CA1

As one of the Arsenal lads (the older gentlemen- Claude?) said before:

"We didn't leave Highbury to watch Danny Welbeck playing up front"

And that sums it up.

Not heard a word in the media about how Welbeck has done the last few years. Which is a sure sign he's doing badly. He was a starter for England when he joined Arsenal. His career seems to have gone downhill. I feel for him on a personal level because I liked him. But I could never wish for him to do too well at Arsenal. Because, well, it's Arsenal.

PoTMS

He’s a slightly better version of Heskey. Just cos he turns up against us, doesn’t change that. We didn’t miss out on shit.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is utter shite.

There was someone on here having a go at me calling me clueless when I said he was going to be shipped out.

They said “He is going to stay here for the rest of his career, and go on to be a top striker”

To which i said, “will he feck, he is our Shola Ameobi, in fact, he will struggle to score as many league goals as Ameobi and will be sold within the year”.

Shola Ameobi scored 43 premiership goals in his career, and 94 goals total.

Danny Welbeck is 28 and has scored 31 premier league goals.

Assuming he keeps up his steller average of 3.4 league goals a season he might beat Ameobis premier league tally by the time he is 32.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He is utter shite.

There was someone on here having a go at me calling me clueless when I said he was going to be shipped out.

They said “He is going to stay here for the rest of his career, and go on to be a top striker”

To which i said, “will he feck, he is our Shola Ameobi, in fact, he will struggle to score as many league goals as Ameobi and will be sold within the year”.

Shola Ameobi scored 43 premiership goals in his career, and 94 goals total.

Danny Welbeck is 28 and has scored 31 premier league goals.

Assuming he keeps up his steller average of 3.4 league goals a season he might beat Ameobis premier league tally by the time he is 32.
I remember the terms defensive winger and defensive forward being used to describe him at one point.:lol:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I remember the terms defensive winger and defensive forward being used to describe him at one point.:lol:

I have made a mistake!

I got his goal tally wrong!

He has 39 premier league goals!

Which means he could beat Ameobis premier league tally by the time he is 30!

But yes, i too remember all the utter horsehit spouted about him trying to justify his place in the team and why he shouldnt be hoofed out.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
he spent 2 years injured. I think his knee's are done.

He can never seem to strike a ball without falling to the ground, which is really weird as a lot of his 'shots' rebound off keeper back towards him so he could have got a few more goals if he could actually stay on his feet.