Danny Welbeck

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He says to not believe everything you read in the daily mail.

He didn't want to leave. His family his here. He has a bar here too in Altrincham. He was forced out.
I'm glad that the club don't value where a players family is over their quality.

Robbie Boy

Some of the comments about him on Arsenal Mania:

Why the fvck do we play him? To run around like a headless chicken and miss every chance he gets? Might as well get some 5000 m runner then. He's a nice guy but he is the symbol of the mediocrity Wenger accept these days. Has NO business starting for a club like Arsenal. Also Perez is much better, but never got a chance here.
His hold up play is ****e.

Constantly underhit his passes back and set Liverpool up to break.

Donkey.
He was Uniteds fifth choice striker when we signed him. The year he joined us the following United players scored equal or more premier league goals than him (4). (Bear in mind they finished below us that year)

Rooney 12
Van Persie 10
Mata 9
Herrera 6
Fellaini 6
Falcao 4
Smalling 4 - yes Chris Smalling matched him for goals!!!

Its hard to stay mad at him because he works hard but his abilities are limited (in premier league striker terms) Ferguson used him as a wide player to nullify opposition teams through work rate.

At what point does a striker not taking chances become a liability (almost cost us in cup final)?
This should be the last time this guy starts as a 9 for us. I've supported him hoping he'd sort his finishing out, but this is ridiculous. If Wenger and Fergie can't make you a good finisher, then nobody can. Simple as that.
Cost us against stoke. Did again today. These chances won't always come in
The chance he missed at 0-0 was him all over, a lack of composure and heavy footed touch. All he had to do was caress the ball in to the corner, but danny boy hoofs it. Just shocking and to think wenger benched Laccazette for this level of quality is the biggest joke.

Devil81

I've had a sneaky look on their forums and their fans hate him.

Such a shame really as everything he does in the build up play is fantastic, but give him a chance or even a half chance and he misses nearly every time.

I will never forgive him for his one on one miss against Bayern.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I don't think a player has left that I have forgotten faster than Welbeck. He simply is a long way off United standard and Arsenal were crazy to buy him, albeit they got him relatively cheap.

The striker position requires quality. We question whether Martial or Rashford have the consistency and yet they are about 10 times more talented and effective than Welbeck as a start point. This tells you all you need to know.

Someone said Welbeck is Newcastle standard. I'm not convinced he is even Premier league standard. Certainly not as a striker. As a winger maybe because he has pace and can take on players, but even then he'd just be a ball carrier because I don't recall seeing any crossing qualities.

Robbie Boy

From F365:
Welbeck had the fewest touches of any starter (32), including both keepers. He did not manage another shot. He not only completed fewer passes than Karius (24), but the Liverpool goalkeeper attempted more passes into the opposition half. He was abysmal.

barmyarmy

LVG did a huge favour for us by getting 20m for him and weakening one of the top 4 teams :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
"Its hard to stay mad at him because he works hard but his abilities are limited (in premier league striker terms) Ferguson used him as a wide player to nullify opposition teams through work rate."

:houllier: I'd say in general football terms, his cluelessness would be apparent wherever he'd play. As if the demands in a premier league striker are of another dimension.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've had a sneaky look on their forums and their fans hate him.

Such a shame really as everything he does in the build up play is fantastic, but give him a chance or even a half chance and he misses nearly every time.

I will never forgive him for his one on one miss against Bayern.
This is a bit of a myth now. I mean "fantastic", for real ?

Robbie Boy

Yeah that utterly false cliché has been bandied about on here for years now. Even the posts on the Arsenal Mania confirm that his hold up play etc is poor. Also, is this really the kind of stats that a player that is 'fantastic' in the build up play should have:
Welbeck had the fewest touches of any starter (32), including both keepers. He did not manage another shot. He not only completed fewer passes than Karius (24), but the Liverpool goalkeeper attempted more passes into the opposition half. He was abysmal.

Stringer

It is similar to what people say about Darmian's defensive abilities and Lingard's movement. The common theme seems to be that they are poor players who do some things slightly less poorly and therefore posters latch onto that and hype it up.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's shite. Always has been.

End of story.
This.
I've always said he is the same level as Shola Ameobi, but It looks like I am going to proved wrong, as he isn't even that good.

Someone on here tried to insult him by saying he is a Heskey level striker a couple of months ago, but Heskey was and still is twice the striker he is.

BarstoolProphet

Err no stop making things up, he was definitely forced out. He's a friend of a friend. He had a meeting with Ed Woodward who told him he was 6th choice behind Wilson and it's best if he moves on.

I remember he used the media the summer SAF left stating that he wanted out even before he had started working with Moyes. Kinda like Rooney's "angry and confused" message. When did this meeting with Woodward take place?

Andy_Cole

I remember he used the media the summer SAF left stating that he wanted out even before he had started working with Moyes. Kinda like Rooney's "angry and confused" message. When did this meeting with Woodward take place?
The summer LVG took over (when he was sold).

starman

Hes regressed under Wegner. Hes no longer a nurturer of young players he once was. Theres been not one young player thats gone to Arsenal in recent years and lived up to their potential. There may have been glimpses but they havent been able to sustain.
Welbeck was so much better at United and just needed regular football, which was what he was expected to get at Arsenal. He joined the wrong North London club, imo.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
United's Welbeck > Arsenal's Welbeck imo. He was a useful rotation/utility player here.

Shit team dynamics get the worst of players.
Fergie can make some utter trash players look premier league caliber. He took a squad with Cleverley, Anderson, Welbeck, Buttner etc to PL champions on a canter.

BarstoolProphet

The summer LVG took over (when he was sold).
So he made some noises that he wanted out the year before, presumably due to wanting the striker role instead of sacrificing himself for the sake of the team. Which he even admitted himself, although he tried to portray it like he would help the team more from a striker position. So it wasn't all LVG forcing him out was it?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Lots of people defend him by saying he is not a goal scorer.

What fecking use is he then? He's playing upfront and he doesn't score. Unless he's prime Drogba bring others into play he's making the team play with ten men.

Andy_Cole

So he made some noises that he wanted out the year before, presumably due to wanting the striker role instead of sacrificing himself for the sake of the team. Which he even admitted himself, although he tried to portray it like he would help the team more from a striker position. So it wasn't all LVG forcing him out was it?
This is my point of view: The year before he made noise about where he wanted to be played, but never wanted out. This was the Moyes year, when pretty much our whole side was unhappy managed by that clown! Then the summer came, we brought in Falcoa and had an offer from Arsenal and we decided to force him out and cash in.

To be fair it doesn't make a difference. In hindsight it was good business as he hasn't fulfilled his potential. Just annoying when I hear fans saying 'feck him' etc when he really did want to stay!

BarstoolProphet

This is my point of view: The year before he made noise about where he wanted to be played, but never wanted out. This was the Moyes year, when pretty much our whole side was unhappy managed by that clown! Then the summer came, we brought in Falcoa and had an offer from Arsenal and we decided to force him out and cash in.

To be fair it doesn't make a difference. In hindsight it was good business as he hasn't fulfilled his potential. Just annoying when I hear fans saying 'feck him' etc when he really did want to stay!
The reports came out even before Moyes took over that summer so you can't really blame LvG and Moyes solely on this. He even admitted that he had been thinking about leaving for over a year when he left for Arsenal for "his own good". From the outside it looked like "play me in my favourite position or I'll leave" - and can you blame both managers for going for the latter considering how little Welbeck had shown in that role up to that point, and especially the competition up at the time (Rooney, RvP, Chicharito and later Falcao - all players more capable of being a striker than Danny)? He may have wanted to stay but on his terms.

RedDevil@84

The only part I was sad about was we didn't milk Arsenal enough on the deal. He was an English player, not always injured and was always playing thanks to Moyes love for a local player.
The market for English players was much higher than the odd 16M or 18M we got from Arsenal.

gica_7

He's shite. Always has been.

End of story.
I don't think he is. He can be a useful squad player in a certain tactical match. He will never lead your frontline but he can contribute. The problem with Arsenal is, their lack of harmony and lack of organization make their players look worse than they really are. I am not suggesting, other than Alexis and maybe Ozil, any of their players are world class players but most of them can perform better.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Good player bad goal scorer. Should have stayed to be the the new Ji Sung Park.

Shows up for England at least.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Defensive striker - he's a player who can be tactically useful at times but who should never be leading the line. SAF knew how to get the best out of him; Wenger doesn't.

Decomposing In Paris

Think it's a belief issue. Some players have that self-belief, some don't. He's got all the attributes, but never got his head right. Wenger, and the general state of that squad aren't helping.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Should do a Moses and convert to a right wing back. Some players should face reality and acknowledge that they aren't good forwards and Welbeck is one of them.