Danny Welbeck

kps88

He was actually very good in the game

Ferguson got the best out of welbeck
I agree, but even then the goals and composure in front of goal was lacking. Would have been very interesting for Welbeck if SAF stayed on another season and Rooney was sold.

Jaybomb

I agree, but even then the goals and composure in front of goal was lacking. Would have been very interesting for Welbeck if SAF stayed on another season and Rooney was sold.
We should have been fecking woeful.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He's possibly the most one footed attacker I have ever seen.

Never rated him and glad he's not clogging a position up in front of Rashford and Martial.

We are well rid of him.

Runner

Didn't watch the game, was he awful? Did he miss a 1v1?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A decent player who lacks the specific qualities needed to be actually good in any position. Should've went to a mid table team long ago where he could actually be a striker consistently and learn the role instead of changing our bench for arsenals.

Oscie

I don't like being harsh on the player but he really is the absolute definition of a rank-average striker

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
He'd be a great snooker player, spends half of each game sat on his arse.

He'll turn it on VS United whenever you lot play him, that seems to be the only time he remembers how to play football.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
One of Welbeck's biggest problems was that he wasn't content doing what he was good at i.e. being a wide forward, he wanted to be the main man, and he didn't have the composure to be that player.

Anyway, we Rashford and Martial now, and you can keep your Mbappé for all I care.

Oscie

3 years down the line and this is still being discussed. Fecking get over it. Deary me! :lol:
He's playing up front for Arsenal, he's not dead. Although his goals record isn't dissimilar to if he were. Today he was picked ahead of a £50m signing made just a month ago.

Why shouldn't he be discussed?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't watch the game, was he awful? Did he miss a 1v1?
Botched Arsenal's only decent opening when it was still 0-0 by taking a poor touch when put through whilst under pressure from a fullback, falling down, and shooting over from inside the 18 yard box.

Did a horrendous job of leading the line, movement was atrocious, no linkup or holdup play to speak of whatsoever, yet somehow completed the 90 minutes. Shambolic.

madzo2007

When he's full of confidence he does the kind of ridiculous crap he did vs Neuer.
Still hard to forgive him for that. When he has time to think e.g. that Bayern chance he messes it up, when he doesn't have the time to think and just shoots he's a decent finisher. His confidence is definitely shot at Arsenal, doesn't help he's playing with players who look like they don't care.

dogwithabone

I think this is harsh on Welbeck. We've got better in our squad now but he's not the crap player he's being made out to be. I don't think any realistic fan would ever have had him down as a natural taker of chances, that's not his game and never will be.

He always looks to me like one of Arsenals biggest threats, perhaps that's a damning indictment of where Arsenal are at but they've got far bigger problems in their squad than Welbeck.

Oscie

It's a football forum and he's a football player playing for one of our rivals. Why shouldn't it be discussed?
Wash your mouth out.

Seriously though, when someone's going on 27 and approaching 300 senior appearances for club and country it's not unusual if they point out that most weeks he looks indistinguishable from a 17 year old coming on making his senior debut.

There's a psychological barrier with some United fans where we can't help but see the kid in his early 20s who we imagined this trajectory for that he's unequivocally failed to achieve at any point of his career since the moment he became a regular in the first team.

We'll be watching him on Soccer Saturday in 10 years time, still convinced that if we give him a chance he'll come good. With Rashford there's evidenced-based expectation that he'll improve. With Welbeck it long stopped being more than a hope, long before he actually left us. Problem is people admitting it to themselves. Some did, some couldn't. Still can't.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Some of you realise he's had two long term injuries in the last 3 years? He was better player for us, and those injuries obviously held him back, a lot. He's actually regressed because of it. He was supposed to be better player than he is today(not world class obviously), but no one could have predicted the injuries.

We also kept Falcao and Wilson over him, which were very bad decisions. We also bought Depay for his position for more(?) than what we sold Welbeck for, which was another bad decision. He was never going to become great striker for us though, but we had far worse players in our squad over the years, and still do.

Surprised people are still gloating over this after all the dross we bought over the years, and players that were supposed to be his replacements under van Gaal.

Robbie Boy

It's a football forum and he's a football player playing for one of our rivals. Why shouldn't it be discussed?
He's a huge Welbeck fan. Had he scored a hat trick today you could be guaranteed he would be one of the first in the thread praising him.

I guess some can't admit they were wrong about him and he hasn't progressed into the player his biggest fans though he would. We were right to get rid and the longer Wenger persists with the better, I say.

Home&Away

Thank the lord LVG got such one dimensional players out of our squad even though his signings were trash. Welbeck, Rafael, hernandez can't do the simplest thing of controlling a ball under pressure even if all that leads is to a pass to a team mate.

prtk0811

I cant belive you get to get coached and learn from the likes of RVN's and rooney and ronaldo's and giggs, and turn up so so mediocre like this.

C3Pique

When he runs it's like he's on the verge of falling over - and the he shoots, and does fall over.

I'm surprised the medical didn't pick up he's actually one child stood on another's shoulders when we sold him.

Robertd0803

A good portion of this forums maintained that Cleverley was a great talent as well and the only reason he never reached his supposedly dizzying height is the Davies tackle.
I still maintain this point of view. Certainly hindsight has made this opinion slightly irrelevant these days however but anyway.

As for Welbeck no idea why he was playing up top when hes pretty dire at it in fairness. Him missing a chance doesnt suprise me in the slightest.

Adnandos

Honestly not better than someone like Jay Rodriguez. With all due respect to Bournemouth, Welbeck could be starting there and wouldn't look out of place. In fact, he wouldn't even be their best, or second best striker.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly not better than someone like Jay Rodriguez. With all due respect to Bournemouth, Welbeck could be starting there and wouldn't look out of place. In fact, he wouldn't even be their best, or second best striker.
I'd much rather have Joshua King than Welbeck personally but maybe that's just me.

LoneStar

For me, Lingard offers more to the team, and I don't even rate him that much. Guy just can't seem to score. Why he starts for them ahead of Lacazette is a mystery.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's an average player and a poor striker. You were right to sell him imo.

What's his goals to games ratio at Arsenal?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In the PL thread I said he never progressed since leaving us and many posters corrected me by saying he actually got worse. I agree 100% after thinking about it :lol:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He is rubbish. He always was and he always will
No that is outright wrong. He was a standout player in our youth teams and he has performed well for both club and country. The top level might be beyond him like it is for many and moving him on does look like a good decision, but he is certainly not 'rubbish'.

Oscie

In the league for Arsenal he's currently £1.45m a goal