Danny Welbeck

Ban

What do we make of Rashford being like Welbeck? Is there anything there? The fact that Rashford cannot seem to score (I know he scored at the weekend) as much as he should, should we be concerned?
No. Rashford is already a better player. I don't see anything special in Welbeck and never did.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What do we make of Rashford being like Welbeck? Is there anything there? The fact that Rashford cannot seem to score (I know he scored at the weekend) as much as he should, should we be concerned?
Rashford has a lot to work on but you can see what he has over Welbeck just by watching his passing and his success at beating players.

ThanksBoss26

Nope. Think Rashford will develop into a much better player than Welbeck and don't subscribe to a theory that Rashford isn't that good a finisher, the chance at Swansea aside.

MoskvaRed

His best role is as a slightly inferior version of Dirk Kuyt. Unfortunately he has ambitions of being a genuine centre forward and if it wasn't for that pesky gravity...As it stands (so to speak), he is a comic incarnation of late Wenger era decadence, a striker who can't master staying upright in the penalty area while kicking the ball.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He was up and down whilst he was at United but he was never as bad as he is now.

I feel a little bad for him as he was forced out its not as if he wanted to leave his boyhood club. I'd rather have him as back up over lingard who's the ultimate definition of pointless player and not good enough for any top 10 team

OneUnited24

He was up and down whilst he was at United but he was never as bad as he is now.

I feel a little bad for him as he was forced out its not as if he wanted to leave his boyhood club. I'd rather have him as back up over lingard who's the ultimate definition of pointless player and not good enough for any top 10 team
I'm fairly sure he asked LvG to leave.

I used to feel for him, until he kept celebrating after he would score for us. Almost like he was proving us wrong... twat

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

I used to feel for him, until he kept celebrating after he would score for us. Almost like he was proving us wrong... twat

Oh I thought he was forced out, well feck him then.

Pace Abuser

He kept moaning about not getting the centre forward spot and backed himself for it by angling for a move to Arsenal.
He threw a sulk and forced the move by asking to leave. It caused a massive stir in the media, who spun a whole "losing identity" narrative which our many fan's bought into and it became a dark cloud over the club for a period of time. It only departed after consistent shite from Welbeck at centre forward and infront of goal in general.

They can have him.

Walters_19_MuFc

It's a football forum and he's a football player playing for one of our rivals. Why shouldn't it be discussed?
Discussion about his performances are fine, but discussing whether he should have been sold or not has long gone. As I said, get over it.

In terms of his performance today, he was shite, as was the whole team. Move on!

Cloud7

For me, Lingard offers more to the team, and I don't even rate him that much. Guy just can't seem to score. Why he starts for them ahead of Lacazette is a mystery.
I honestly rather have Jesse. He offers a comparable work rate and link up play, and if given a scoring opportunity I would favor Lingard to score it over Welbeck.

OneUnited24

For me, Lingard offers more to the team, and I don't even rate him that much. Guy just can't seem to score. Why he starts for them ahead of Lacazette is a mystery.
I think Wenger backs experience ahead of anything else. It would explain why he picked welbeck. And even belerin at lwb when there’s one on the bench.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Welbeck still score against us so probably is worth the £16m for that alone!

Andy_Cole

He kept moaning about not getting the centre forward spot and backed himself for it by angling for a move to Arsenal.
He threw a sulk and forced the move by asking to leave. It caused a massive stir in the media, who spun a whole "losing identity" narrative which our many fan's bought into and it became a dark cloud over the club for a period of time. It only departed after consistent shite from Welbeck at centre forward and infront of goal in general.

They can have him.
Err no stop making things up, he was definitely forced out. He's a friend of a friend. He had a meeting with Ed Woodward who told him he was 6th choice behind Wilson and it's best if he moves on.

shabz

Every player at Arsenal is not pulling their weight and putting in the performances that equate to their talent. Arsenal's squad should be competitive and unfortunately for their fans, the players have not given anything for the shirt. Welbeck was a useful squad player here and gave 100% every game he played for United.

At the time it was a bad decision to sell him as we were going through a tough period and needed players who wanted to give their all for the club, a category which he fell under.

Now we are in a better place and have talented options in attack who Welbeck would find hard to displace for a starting spot. Hopefully he can put his injuries behind him and gain some momentum going forward as he could be a good option for England next summer.

Bojan11

Err no stop making things up, he was definitely forced out. He's a friend of a friend. He had a meeting with Ed Woodward who told him he was 6th choice behind Wilson and it's best if he moves on.
He wanted to leave under Moyes way before we signed Falcao. So what's your friend of a friend gotta say about that?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never been a fan. He's playing how he always did. The almost player, almost did something good, almost finished, almost stood on his feet.

Andy_Cole

He wanted to leave under Moyes way before we signed Falcao. So what's your friend of a friend gotta say about that?
He says to not believe everything you read in the daily mail.

He didn't want to leave. His family his here. He has a bar here too in Altrincham. He was forced out.

Paul_Scholes18

Silly how people come and attack a player now. He would still have been useful here. I think Mourinho could have got a lot more out of him. When he left we had Rooney and Persie who both was past the prime and we had to get rid of sooner or later. Also got Falcao on loanwith big question marks after his injury. It was stupid by LVG and extremely short sighted. It failed and we have struggled going forward a lot since that time. I don't think us selling Hernandez and Welbeck was good decisions at all. The fact that we got Rashford has really saved our poor management cause otherwise we would need to buy another striker as well. Getting Zlatan for free was great as well and Lukaku is a good striker.

Bojan11

He says to not believe everything you read in the daily mail.

He didn't want to leave. His family his here. He has a bar here too in Altrincham. He was forced out.
Well it wasn't just the daily mail dear. Odgen who was close to Moyes, Jackson and quite a few journos were saying Welbeck wanted out.

entropy

Hindsight is a lovely thing. I'd have loved for him to stay and develop into a better player. He never had the support of Moyes or LVG. He did what anyone in his situation would have done. He has a good work ethic which is something arsenal are severely lacking. Hopefully he will have a decent season.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Why would you start Welbeck over Giroud or Lacazette? Nuts that Wenger Man is.

FahadiHossein

Doesn't everyone remember that he was good as the central striker against United late last season?

Again that United was different. Everyone was busy preparing for the Europa League and nobody gave a rats ass about that game.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
The same player he was at 20. Six years on, he still can't finish.

He's not a striker, nor is he an effective winger. Ergo, he's reached his ceiling and it isn't very high.
He hasn't improved one bit since he left. I think his injury issues might've slowed his progress but even then he's the definition of a nothing player. I remember people lauding his link up play back in the day and that really tells you all you need to know about the type of player he is, basically a water carrier up top or on the wing

Pace Abuser

Well, there are direct quotes in here from Welbeck. You can show your friend. It was widely reported, not just in the Daily Mail. You can question the veracity of those reports, but should stop short of telling other's they're "making stuff up". When we're evidently not.

Welbeck was subsequently asked whether it had reached this point because of his desire to play as a centre-forward. “Yes,” he said, “it does get frustrating. You want to play in a certain position and you’re not getting the opportunity to do that. It’s the same for everyone else when they are being played out of position and they don’t really like it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/25/danny-welbeck-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal

Hojoon

Like a lot of young talents he hasn't improved, he's the same as he was in 11/12. His feet seem to have a heart attack every time he gets a chance.

Hawks2008

So glad he's stinking it up at Arsenal, how he started over Lacazette is baffling.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No that is outright wrong. He was a standout player in our youth teams and he has performed well for both club and country. The top level might be beyond him like it is for many and moving him on does look like a good decision, but he is certainly not 'rubbish'.
Kids are very very unpredictable. Sometimes the least talented make it and the most talented doesn't. Take the class of 92 as an example. It was mathematically impossible for Beckham to do it but he did. Kanchelskis threw his dummy out of the pram. Gillespie fecked his chance, SAF wasn't able to sign Anderton and Becks tested SAF's patience up until he scored that wonderful goal. In Pogba's generation it was Ravel who stole the show. Meanwhile out of our young CBs the most talented was Evans who was preferred ahead of Pique, Smalling and Jones at one time.

Since they are unpredictable there skills can shift. Which in itself is an annoyance but its hardly a tragedy. The best 2 playmakers of the previous generation were in fact strikers. It was SAF who moved Paul Scholes in CM and Ancelotti who did the same with Pirlo. I haven't followed bambi on ice when he was a kid but it was evident from day 1 that he's as comfortable as striker as OShea was when we put him as goalkeeper. You can't play as a striker when you've got no finishing.

Which leads us to what truly ruined Welbeck ie hype. He simply refused to accept a change of role because he started believing his own hype of becoming England's no 1 striker and Rooney's replacement. If he only sat down and allowed his managers to shape his career then he would still be a United player by now. I mean we still keep the likes of Lingard around and lets face it, he makes Welbeck look good

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

Forced out by who?

Because he wanted to leave even before Van Gaal got here.

SirMattBugsby

C'mon man, don't do that. Rashford remains standing even after he misses.

Where is Nani?
Hmm interesting. How did Welbeck remind you of Nani?

His best role is as a slightly inferior version of Dirk Kuyt. Unfortunately he has ambitions of being a genuine centre forward and if it wasn't for that pesky gravity...As it stands (so to speak), he is a comic incarnation of late Wenger era decadence, a striker who can't master staying upright in the penalty area while kicking the ball.

:lol: Yup, he's fallen out of favor alright.

Think you made a mistake there. That would be Welbeck.

Why would you start Welbeck over Giroud or Lacazette? Nuts that Wenger Man is.
Only reason I can think of is, Wenger wanted workrate to complement Sanchez and Özil. But really, starting him and Sanchez (who wants out) over a pairing like Giroud and Lacazette in a big away game is.. classic Wenger. Great stuff.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Only reason I can think of is, Wenger wanted workrate to complement Sanchez and Özil. But really, starting him and Sanchez (who wants out) over a pairing like Giroud and Lacazette in a big away game is.. classic Wenger. Great stuff.
If it's workrate he wanted, he would never have played Ozil.