Television Dark - Netflix TV series

Ainu

This second season came out of nowhere! The first season was one of the best shows I've seen since Twin Peaks S1, so my expectations of this are ridiculous. Don't disappoint me!

Spoony

The People's President
Watched the first ep second series...and yeah it took it took me 20 mins to recap and realise what was going on.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Great show. Only issue I have is that season 2 ending isn't as satisfying as S1 and keeps us hanging until season 3.

Ainu

I struggled with the first episode as I'd completely forgotten who is who in what timeline. Just watched the second episode and I feel I'm back on track. I almost feel like I should be keeping notes.

Amir

I struggled with the first episode as I'd completely forgotten who is who in what timeline. Just watched the second episode and I feel I'm back on track. I almost feel like I should be keeping notes.
Same, it really needed some sort of recap. It got far better in episode 2 but even then it took me a while to remember who everyone - and when everyone - was.

When the final season comes out next year I'll watch the whole thing from the start.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Binged the 2nd season last weekend and I rarely binge shows, definitely needed to watch the recap and also look up the family tree and general descriptions of who is who online.

AkaAkuma

the calendar in 2052 doesn't have the 21st crossed out, yet the final episode calendar when Adam adds the circle does. Which suggests a loop hole was found

AkaAkuma

a conversation between young and old Noah implies that Adam fathered Noah and Agnes which means the four central families pictured on Adams wall are all descendants of his.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It was a good idea re-watching phenomenal season 1 before starting with the second one, this shit is massively confusing at times but that's what it makes it so great. Dumb as I always have been at Physics, Einstein-Rosen Brücke concept has always been fascinating for my limited mind, glad that they've elaborated on it and will expand it even further.

In case I've missed something though....

1. Has it been made clear who sent the letter to Clausen about his brother? The way it was written resembled something that has been in the show already but I cannot quite put my finger on it, was it the Bible? Nietzsche's work? Also, was it really Aleksander who's killed his brother? Was Aleksander also a time-traveller?
2. Was it revealed what has happened to the old/middle versions of Helge? IIRC the last time we've seen the two was when old Helge was trying to stop middle Helge and drove into him on the intersection.
3. Was it explained what has happened with Wöller's eye? I remember Clausen asking him that but I cannot remember if it was finally explained.
4. Who was Helge's wife?
5. Who was Claudia's husband?
6. Why was there still so little of Mads?
7. What has happened to Claudia's mum? Has she gone full lesbian with Agnes?
8. What has happened to Ulrich when he's gone full mental in the 1986?
9. Was Claudia good or bad, summing up?
10. Why does Noah hate Claudia so much?
11. Why does Agnes hate Noah?
Well that covers it I guess :lol:

Edit:
This family tree should help I guess.

Last edited:

Ainu

I just finished season 2 and I'm more confused than I've ever been. Just thinking about it gives me a headache.

Ainu

It was a good idea re-watching phenomenal season 1 before starting with the second one, this shit is massively confusing at times but that's what it makes it so great. Dumb as I always have been at Physics, Einstein-Rosen Brücke concept has always been fascinating for my limited mind, glad that they've elaborated on it and will expand it even further.

In case I've missed something though....

1. Has it been made clear who sent the letter to Clausen about his brother? The way it was written resembled something that has been in the show already but I cannot quite put my finger on it, was it the Bible? Nietzsche's work? Also, was it really Aleksander who's killed his brother? Was Aleksander also a time-traveller?
2. Was it revealed what has happened to the old/middle versions of Helge? IIRC the last time we've seen the two was when old Helge was trying to stop middle Helge and drove into him on the intersection.
3. Was it explained what has happened with Wöller's eye? I remember Clausen asking him that but I cannot remember if it was finally explained.
4. Who was Helge's wife?
5. Who was Claudia's husband?
6. Why was there still so little of Mads?
7. What has happened to Claudia's mum? Has she gone full lesbian with Agnes?
8. What has happened to Ulrich when he's gone full mental in the 1986?
9. Was Claudia good or bad, summing up?
10. Why does Noah hate Claudia so much?
11. Why does Agnes hate Noah?
Well that covers it I guess :lol:

Edit:
This family tree should help I guess.
That family tree, I hadn't even realized those two people with Adam were old Magnus and Franziska! Why is it even relevant that they're there? I missed that completely. Also, poor Silja (finally, a name!), she doesn't seem connected to anyone in any way. I thought she would become important to the story in some way but then she sort of fades away into irrelevance. And of course, alternate reality Martha (or whoever she is) took what little was left of my brain and tore it to bits before pointing and laughing at the remains.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That family tree, I hadn't even realized those two people with Adam were old Magnus and Franziska! Why is it even relevant that they're there? I missed that completely. Also, poor Silja (finally, a name!), she doesn't seem connected to anyone in any way. I thought she would become important to the story in some way but then she sort of fades away into irrelevance. And of course, alternate reality Martha (or whoever she is) took what little was left of my brain and tore it to bits before pointing and laughing at the remains.
It could be so that they decide to join Adam (I still don't believe that he's Jonas) in order to somehow save Martha?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It could be so that they decide to join Adam (I still don't believe that he's Jonas) in order to somehow save Martha?
It would be quite a twist considering Adam showed Jonas that he had the same scar on his neck. They could still explain it away but that would be a bit silly.

AkaAkuma

I was wrong about noah being the son, watching back it refers to adam choosing to name him Noah. Which I guess means his job was to transport people.

I think he was the guy who got axed at the very beginning of the season. He refers to being surprised that the person doing it was young Noah, the person who set him off on his original journey. I think that would fit in with both Magnus and Franziska being in that time line and the ageing that the 3 of them and Noah have undergone since they transported together at the end of the season. He also looks like him, which is a good indicator considering how good they are at matching actors.

Alexsanders real family name, Nielson+Kahnwald=Niewald.

Last edited:

LonelyFire

I was wrong about noah being the son, watching back it refers to adam choosing to name him Noah. Which I guess means his job was to transport people.

I think he was the guy who got axed at the very beginning of the season. He refers to being surprised that the person doing it was young Noah, the person who set him off on his original journey. I think that would fit in with both Magnus and Franziska being in that time line and the ageing that the 3 of them and Noah have undergone since they transported together at the end of the season. He also looks like him, which is a good indicator considering how good they are at matching actors.

Alexsanders real family name, Nielson+Kahnwald=Niewald.
I suspect him to be the son of Egon and Hanna.....making him Regina’s uncle.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Actually the above is a good guess, there was this scene when Hannah travelled back to see Ulrich when she was smoking there with Egon. Couple of episodes before Egon had this talk with this other policeman about how things work for him in the marriage and he basically told him to go and feck whatever moves as the wives transfer all the love onto the children once they are born. Hannah also said she'd want to start anew so it's possible she stuck to the 50s and Egon's marriage semingly went to shit, doesn't have to be because of Doris and Agnes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My only gripe with season two was

how inevitable everything was. I mean, it makes sense, it's more so the constant knowing that everything the characters did would just lead to the same outcome regardless

Ainu

how inevitable everything was. I mean, it makes sense, it's more so the constant knowing that everything the characters did would just lead to the same outcome regardless
Yeah that was a little frustrating and I hope it doesn't continue in season 3 as it made some stuff in season 2 completely predictable. There were several examples of this, like young Jonas traveling back to the day of his father's suicide to prevent it. You just knew the only thing he would do was the exact opposite. Or middle Jonas telling Martha to stay in the bunker, while it was nailed on that we were going to see her die at some point. It seemed to be the theme of this season, so many characters trying to make things right but achieving exactly the opposite of what they wanted and just continuing the cycle. I can only hope season 3 will have a different theme and we'll finally break the cycle. If this show ends with everything stuck inside the same loop, I'm going to come away extremely disappointed and frustrated.

One other thing that really annoyed me about the final episode was the return of the lack of communication, that well known lazy plot device. Middle Jonas locking Martha in the bunker and only giving such a vague warning. Why not just tell her exactly what he saw? "I saw you die in my house". Or something like "if you see a guy with a deep fried face show up, just get the feck out because he's going to shoot you". She might not believe it at first but when Adam finally shows up those words could give her a chance or something. I was just sitting there thinking "oh come on" when he just left her in the bunker with such vague words of warning.

AkaAkuma

Yeah that was a little frustrating and I hope it doesn't continue in season 3 as it made some stuff in season 2 completely predictable. There were several examples of this, like young Jonas traveling back to the day of his father's suicide to prevent it. You just knew the only thing he would do was the exact opposite. Or middle Jonas telling Martha to stay in the bunker, while it was nailed on that we were going to see her die at some point. It seemed to be the theme of this season, so many characters trying to make things right but achieving exactly the opposite of what they wanted and just continuing the cycle. I can only hope season 3 will have a different theme and we'll finally break the cycle. If this show ends with everything stuck inside the same loop, I'm going to come away extremely disappointed and frustrated.

One other thing that really annoyed me about the final episode was the return of the lack of communication, that well known lazy plot device. Middle Jonas locking Martha in the bunker and only giving such a vague warning. Why not just tell her exactly what he saw? "I saw you die in my house". Or something like "if you see a guy with a deep fried face show up, just get the feck out because he's going to shoot you". She might not believe it at first but when Adam finally shows up those words could give her a chance or something. I was just sitting there thinking "oh come on" when he just left her in the bunker with such vague words of warning.
I think the loop was subtly broken though, which in my mind is why the alternate universe Martha exists. I can't get my head around it but I believe this a result of Hannah travelling back in time. As I've mentioned previously there is a clear clue - the crossed out calendar dates are different in the first and last episodes, which suggests something has altered.

Ainu

I think the loop was subtly broken though, which in my mind is why the alternate universe Martha exists. I can't get my head around it but I believe this a result of Hannah travelling back in time. As I've mentioned previously there is a clear clue - the crossed out calendar dates are different in the first and last episodes, which suggests something has altered.
I didn't notice the calendar differences, I should probably watch it again at some point. But if that's the change, then how would young Jonas have survived the apocalypse in all those other cycles? In this one, Martha 2 saves him but if she wasn't there all the other times, young Jonas should've died and middle (and old) Jonas can't exist.

We know middle Jonas has memories of seeing Martha die in previous cycles as he mentions it, and he keeps looking at that spot on the floor in the house where Martha will die, so he's definitely referring to watching her get shot. How did he survive the previous times? Did he not stay with Martha those times? If so, I don't get why that would've changed.

AkaAkuma

I didn't notice the calendar differences, I should probably watch it again at some point. But if that's the change, then how would young Jonas have survived the apocalypse in all those other cycles? In this one, Martha 2 saves him but if she wasn't there all the other times, young Jonas should've died and middle (and old) Jonas can't exist.

We know middle Jonas has memories of seeing Martha die in previous cycles as he mentions it, and he keeps looking at that spot on the floor in the house where Martha will die, so he's definitely referring to watching her get shot. How did he survive the previous times? Did he not stay with Martha those times? If so, I don't get why that would've changed.
valid points. My feeling is that if the time loop is altered, it creates a parallel universe. I don't have much beyond that and your comments do throw up questions.
The calendar clue is something to look for. I've tried to find the scene where Hanna crosses out the last date, but haven't found it[./SPOILER]

Ainu

I suspect him to be the son of Egon and Hanna.....making him Regina’s uncle.
Hannah is supposed to be 48 when she travels back in time. It's very unlikely she could still have a successful pregnancy at that age, let alone years later (which would be required to get Aleksandr's age correct). Especially with the medical care of that era. It's possible, I guess, but very unlikely.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Watched the first ep second series...and yeah it took it took me 20 mins to recap and realise what was going on.
Me and wife first took a week to rewatch season 1 because we knew there was no way we would remember everything from a year back :D And honestly it helped a lot in understand and connecting everything in season 2.

United Hobbit

Is this worth watching? I like scary and I like things like Line of Duty but not shows where I struggle to keep track of who is who?

Dont mind blood/ gore etc

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is this worth watching? I like scary and I like things like Line of Duty but not shows where I struggle to keep track of who is who?

If you're watching the seasons back to back you should be fine but if you're watching them a year after the other then you might get lost. I recommend it though, watch a few episodes and see if it's something you like.

It's not really scary but more mysterious.

GazTheLegend

Personally found it kind of shite :(

Everyone raves about it being the next Stranger Things but I don't see it. It's just kind of... soulless. Maybe I'm missing something.