Television Dark - Netflix TV series

Ainu

Is this worth watching? I like scary and I like things like Line of Duty but not shows where I struggle to keep track of who is who?

Dont mind blood/ gore etc
It's definitely worth watching. Just go into it without any specific expectations and let yourself experience it. If you want it to be the next Stranger Things, or the next Twin Peaks or whatever some people might've called it, there's always a chance you're not getting what you wanted, which is a shame. It's its own thing and I think it's brilliant.

Tarrou

Is this worth watching? I like scary and I like things like Line of Duty but not shows where I struggle to keep track of who is who?

Dont mind blood/ gore etc
Its basically the worst program ever for keeping track of who is who

My Mrs told me to stop asking questions :lol:

United Hobbit

Hmmm sounds like it could go either way then, I love reading but gave up with Game of Thrones as i lost track of all the people and those weird names who was what house etc however watched the later TV series of it as I could at least put names to faces

Are the people in this fairly distinctive, if they all look the same I'll struggle looking at the tags on the spoilers they have Game of Thrones type names :lol:

I'll probably watch Stranger Things new series then give this a go usually the test for if I'm going to enjoy something is whether or not I fall asleep during it now :lol:

AkaAkuma

@United Hobbit the series is about time travel, one of the things that is quite unique about the show is that they have managed to get the characters at different ages looking similar to one another.

The comparison with stranger things is lazy, the only similarity is that some of the cast are teenagers. For me its similar in style to lost, very different setting, but lots of mysteries and characters with unknown motives.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Its basically the worst program ever for keeping track of who is who
True. I have/had no problem at all with keeping track of Game of Thrones, but with Dark I'm now approaching the end of season 2, and just now feel like I know (again) who is who... or who is when. The family trees are the craziest shit :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that the ending of the second season was a bit shit. I'm also not sure if they did those song sequences at the end of each episode in the first season, feels unnecessarily dramatic.

Spoony

The People's President
We're going to have to deal with parallel universes and all... If it didn't get silly enough the 3rd will make a few people internally combust. It's all very Bolton....

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I made it to episode 7 on the promise of better things to come, then I had to tap out. It's like Goodnight Sweetheart if remade by edgy college students. Get it away from me.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I found this quite excellent, not least for the outstanding casting. The plot gets perhaps as convoluted as you can expect with the theme, and I have a sense they might double down on the madness in the 3rd season.

The lack of suspense is probably the biggest problem I had with the second season. A lot of things that will naturally happen as they have to and as an audience you go through the motions a bit.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
The best way to watch Dark is to either begin at the end or end at the beginning, its makes the same sense.

Andersons Dietician

Started watching this as it seems to get mentioned on the CAF a lot but I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to handle this terrible dubbing. It’s horrendous.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m halfway through Season 2 and this is so good!

It’s well written, well acted and despite being complicated it’s very well tied together with a lot of thought clearly gone into it.

It’s also nice that we don’t have to wait entire seasons for answers to be given but there’s still a lot of mystery going on.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Personally found it kind of shite :(

Everyone raves about it being the next Stranger Things but I don't see it. It's just kind of... soulless. Maybe I'm missing something.
Huh? Stranger things is a piece of shit compared to this. This is so much better it's ridiculous.

Spoony

The People's President
Huh? Stranger things is a piece of shit compared to this. This is so much better it's ridiculous.

Dark is ridiculous. The first series was great, the second was very good and all... But then it went Lost. I'm not sure I will bother with season 3...parallel universes can do one.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Dark is ridiculous. The first series was great, the second was very good and all... But then it went Lost. I'm not sure I will bother with season 3...parallel universes can do one.
You're lost, spoony. You've lost your sanity.

thepolice123

I'm at episode 5 of season 1 and I'm struggling to continue. Any reason for me to go on with it?

nimic

something nice
Scout
I can't fecking believe I click on a thread in 2019 and find Spoony complaining about Lost.

I suppose it's comforting, in a way.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Finished this yesterday. Looking forward to season 3. What a mind feck. Some of the relationships in this is just ridiculous. :lol:
Jonas being the son of Mikkel/Michael, meaning he is the grandson of Ulrich and Katharina and thus the nephew of Martha (whom he is obviously in love with) and Magnus. And what happened to Hannah? Did she stay in the 50s and form a family there?
Ulrich's grandmother is the sister of Noah. The same Noah who is Franziska's grandfather, who's dating Ulrich's son Magnus. Furthermore, Noah's granddaughter Elisabeth is also the mother of her own mother, Charlotte.
In the Tiedemann family Aleksander supposedly killed Clausen/Köhler's brother and stole his identity, so how is he related by blood to the rest? And what about Bartozs? Surely he his somehow a bootstrap paradox as well.
At this point we also know very little about Hannah's parents and Ines, the nurse who takes in Mikkel in the 80s. Ulrich's mum and Katharina's parents were also left alone in this season.
EDIT: Who the heck is Clausen and who sent him the letter? And what's Wöller's deal.
I can't help but feel for a lot of these characters absolutely miserable things they have to realise:
Ulrich especially being in a prison in the 50s (which is mad enough in itself), only to be visited by Hannah, who then opts to leave him there. It's like Long John Silver being left on the Treasure Island only he was more of an antagonist.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
feck so good. Just finished Season 2. Need more.

The music in this is also very good.

Pagh Wraith

So this is really good then? I absolutely hate everything about German films and TV series, from the static acting to the terrible visuals that make any German production instantly recognisable as such to the ever same themes and overt social commentary (not the subtle good kind). But I'm willing to give this a chance as people are raving about it.

Maagge

So this is really good then? I absolutely hate everything about German films and TV series, from the static acting to the terrible visuals that make any German production instantly recognisable as such to the ever same themes and overt social commentary (not the subtle good kind). But I'm willing to give this a chance as people are raving about it.
I thought the casting, acting and visuals were good. I'm not a German speaker, mind you, so it might come off different to you (assuming you're a German speaker).
It's good enough that I'm sure you could rewatch it a few times and still pick up on new things. I've fallen into a fan theory rabbit hole the last couple of days, I never do that. :lol:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I thought the casting, acting and visuals were good. I'm not a German speaker, mind you, so it might come off different to you (assuming you're a German speaker).
It's good enough that I'm sure you could rewatch it a few times and still pick up on new things. I've fallen into a fan theory rabbit hole the last couple of days, I never do that. :lol:
Being German myself, I have similar reservations about German productions. However I found the usual suspects like visuals and acting not a problem here.
I'm not convinced they will be able to come to a satisfying and sensible conclusion with the story, season 2 to me was a bit of a red flag, but I'll watch it to the end.

Maagge

Being German myself, I have similar reservations about German productions. However I found the usual suspects like visuals and acting not a problem here.
I'm not convinced they will be able to come to a satisfying and sensible conclusion with the story, season 2 to me was a bit of a red flag, but I'll watch it to the end.
Apparently they planned to do three seasons from the beginning which at least is a promising way to go about it, so at this point I'm fairly confident it'll be good. However, they need to be careful with how they treat the end of season 2.
At least until now it's mad but you still feel like you can keep up and that things fit together. Legion was brilliant in season 1 but I felt like season 2 took the insanity too far, this hasn't done it until now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think I have a thing for 1986 Ines in that nurse outfit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some questions I'm still left with though that I guess will be answered in S3 unless I missed it?

- We still don't exactly know why the boys were taken in the first place right? Why were they in that chair forced to watch 80s TV?
- Why does Jonas end up leading Mikkel into the caves?
- What happened to Woller's eye goddamnit?
- Why did Noah try to kill Adam? I know he said he was used but I think I missed how.
- Did anyone of significance actually die in the plant explosion thing? Both Jonas time travelled as well as Magnus, Franziska and Bartosz. Katharina presumably too. Hannah and Ulrich are in the 50s, Charlotte was presumably pulled into the future and Peter, Elisabeth, Regina, Claudia and young Noah were in the bunker. So does that leave just basically Woller and the detective?

Also I have a theory about Adam.

He isn't Jonas but Bartosz, and the noose scar is faked.

Maagge

Some questions I'm still left with though that I guess will be answered in S3 unless I missed it?

- What happened to Woller's eye goddamnit?

Also I have a theory about Adam.

He isn't Jonas but Bartosz, and the noose scar is faked.
You should probably spoiler some of the above.
Anyway:

- We still don't exactly know why the boys were taken in the first place right? Why were they in that chair forced to watch 80s TV?
I think they were taken as guinea pigs for the time machine at its early stages of development. Although I'm sure there's more reason for that too in the end, that I can't think of right now.

I guess he realises he cannot change anything in the current cycle after speaking with Claudia and Michael, so he needs the cycle to go around again to be able to do it next time. Then I guess he is also fighting his own survival instinct as he'd cease to exist if not for Mikkel going back.

- Why did Noah try to kill Adam? I know he said he was used but I think I missed how.
He's obviously also stuck in this cycle so I'm guessing he wanted out somehow. I don't know. It's confusing. Haha

- Did anyone of significance actually die in the plant explosion thing? Both Jonas time travelled as well as Magnus, Franziska and Bartosz. Katharina presumably too. Hannah and Ulrich are in the 50s, Charlotte was presumably pulled into the future and Peter, Elisabeth, Regina, Claudia and young Noah were in the bunker. So does that leave just basically Woller and the detective?
Yeah, I think you're mostly right here. It's possible the significant people to die there were the ones on the crosses in the post-apocalyptic world.

Regarding Bartosz, there's a theory he was actually the one digging the tunnel with Noah in 1921 who Noah killed with a pick axe. Apparently they had the actor put in brown lenses to look more like young Bartosz.

This fecking show.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You should probably spoiler some of the above.
Anyway:

I think they were taken as guinea pigs for the time machine at its early stages of development. Although I'm sure there's more reason for that too in the end, that I can't think of right now.

I guess he realises he cannot change anything in the current cycle after speaking with Claudia and Michael, so he needs the cycle to go around again to be able to do it next time. Then I guess he is also fighting his own survival instinct as he'd cease to exist if not for Mikkel going back.

He's obviously also stuck in this cycle so I'm guessing he wanted out somehow. I don't know. It's confusing. Haha

Yeah, I think you're mostly right here. It's possible the significant people to die there were the ones on the crosses in the post-apocalyptic world.

Regarding Bartosz, there's a theory he was actually the one digging the tunnel with Noah in 1921 who Noah killed with a pick axe. Apparently they had the actor put in brown lenses to look more like young Bartosz.

This fecking show.
I mean it was out in June right? Are we still spoilering?

Maagge

I mean it was out in June right? Are we still spoilering?
Sure, I only finished it the other day, but I guess there's a limit to how long we should keep using spoiler tags. What's the official policy? Do we have one?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Enjoyed most of season 2, but as many have already said, the inevitability of everything made the second half rather anti-climactic. And Spoony is right, the ending went very Lost for me too... Mystery series having a random WTF cliffhanger where they merely tie up things that needed to happen whilst deliberately avoid answering bigger questions is the bane of this type of show

.... still, it’s very well made and plotted and the casting of the young & old versions is tremendous.

Really needs to end after the next season though, or people will just stop caring... I’ve already tapped out of Stranger Things for its repetitive stakes and near identical threats, so a show about Bootstrap Time Travel can’t really last too much longer without just descending into a perfunctory check-list of “whose related to who”

Or, you know, introducing something dumb like parallel Worlds.

I’ve made it sound like I didn’t like it much, which isn’t fair really, as it’s pretty good Sci-Fi drama.

Giggs86

One of the best shows on Netflix. The creators must have been inspired by Lost, there are just so many similarities. Also have vibes of The Leftovers.

Love it how Jonas went full on Jon Snow mode by sleeping with and murdering his aunt :lol: