Darren f*cking Fletcher

johnmufc

I know you're a Carrick fanboy from seeing your posts before but he's a very average player, rarely terrible, rarely brilliant, never a player to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Now I don't know if he's carrying an injury this season but he looks like he's just going through the paces to me. No bollocks, no desire, too slow and dopey on the ball. He'll do a job alright, like today, he wasn't shockingly bad. 6/10. In this form that's his level, nothing more, nothing less.
Yep, that's why he was our best midfielder this season against the German Champions, Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Arsenal away, and Aston Villa away (despite being down to 10 men).

However, I'm shocked that Ferguson doesn't take note of your brilliant plan playing by Park in central midfield and Fletcher in defensive midfield. Instead he plays an "average" player there and we keep winning. So sad. :(

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Does something like this make you any happier Mozza ?

--------------- VDS ---------------------
Neville -- Ferdinand -- Vidic ------Evra
----------- Fletcher -- Scholes ---------
Valencia ---------- Park ----------- Nani
----------------- Rooney ----------------
That's what we played today aside from Scholes and no, Fletcher will wonder, Scholes won't cope.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Yep, that's why he was our best midfielder this season against the German Champions, Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Arsenal away, and Aston Villa away (despite being down to 10 men).
In your opinion, as I say you're a fanboy.

Most of your posts involve Carrick.

Enough said.

However, I'm shocked that Ferguson doesn't take note of your brilliant plan playing by Park in central midfield and Fletcher in defensive midfield. Instead he plays an "average" player there and we keep winning. So sad. :(
feck off. We played a midfield three of Fletcher, Scholes and Park against Milan to excellent effect. Are you really that stupid you can't remember a couple of games back ?

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Does something like this make you any happier Mozza ?

--------------- VDS ---------------------
Neville -- Ferdinand -- Vidic ------Evra
----------- Fletcher -- Scholes ---------
Valencia ---------- Park ----------- Nani
----------------- Rooney ----------------
It's more 4-2-3-1 with Park closer to Rooney.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
feck off. We played a midfield three of Fletcher, Scholes and Park against Milan to excellent effect. Are you really that stupid you can't remember a couple of games back ?
We played that because Carrick was injured, so his point holds true. Sir Alex's favoured midfield differs from yours.

And in that game we looked a lot less solid, which is what Carrick helped with today.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
We played that because Carrick was injured, so his point holds true. Sir Alex's favoured midfield differs from yours.

And in that game we looked a lot less solid, which is what Carrick helped with today.
We played that because Carrick was suspended.

The second half of your post is bollocks aswell, that midfield three of Fletcher, Scholes and Park were excellent against Milan. That was some of the best football we've played all season.

We did look fairly solid today but Liverpool ripped us with their passing at times, particularly in the first half. Carrick's so feckin dopey he's always a worry. To say we were a lot less solid against Milan at OT due to a midfield of Fletcher, Scholes and Park is bollocks, our centre halfs have more game time under their belts now for one thing.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I was thinking suspended as I typed injured!

Still, point holds true.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
No idea what you feckers are arguing about and tbh I don't really care, just wanted to say that Darren Fletcher was yet again fecking class today.

World class.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
Darren Fletcher's ability to read the game is above average. I dont think he runs around like most of you think he does, but he is always anticipating the next move and get there. He only wins half the tackles he goes in for, but always puts the opposing team under pressure which leads to interception or more pressure on the receiving player.

skysplitter

No idea what you feckers are arguing about and tbh I don't really care, just wanted to say that Darren Fletcher was yet again fecking class today.

World class.
totally agree,its no coincidence that we lost the c/l final with out him.I dont think its any exaggeration what so ever to call him World class.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was outstanding today, incredible workrate, good tackling, intelligent passing and always driving forward.

Plus when he plays, we win. Well I might have made that up. But it's how it feels.
It's true. Especially against Liverpool.

Lost the last three games against them without him, won the previous three with him.

Ole'sbodyguard

It's true. Especially against Liverpool.

Lost the last three games against them without him, won the previous three with him.
He did not play in any of the previous three wins.

Last game Fletch played against Liverpool was as a last minute right midfield replacement for an injured Ronaldo in the 2-0 at O.T. in October 2006. A long time ago tbh.

Ole'sbodyguard

What, Fletcher hasn't played in any of the last six Liverpool games?
Yeah.

Injured for the last three before today.

Either injured or other players played over him for the other 3 wins.

United have played following combinations against LFC

This year - (a) Carrick/Scholes

Last year - (a)Scholes/Carrick with Anderson left wing

(h) Carrick/Anderson

Year before (h) Carrick, Scholes, Anderson
(a) Anderson/Hargreaves

Year before (a) Carrick/Scholes

I don't think he has even had a token gesture sub performance since he played on the right wing against the dippers in 2006. Just an odd co-incidence really. Most of it has been through injury.

Salvation

Damnation
This may be too early before the team actually wins something of note, but I hope Fletcher gets some recognition for his displays this season.

A Fans' Player of the Year or something because he will be overlooked for the mainstream awards.

vuc

First Team Serb
MOM just ahead of Park today IMO. Great work rate but the key was he won so many challenges in the midfield. It would have been a different battle in midfield though had Mascherano not got booked early.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
MOM just ahead of Park today IMO. Great work rate but the key was he won so many challenges in the midfield. It would have been a different battle in midfield though had Mascherano not got booked early.
Mascherano would have gotten booked at some stage. I dont buy that shit really.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't think he has even had a token gesture sub performance since he played on the right wing against the dippers in 2006. Just an odd co-incidence really. Most of it has been through injury.
Not as odd as it first sounds when you remember he only became first choice last season. He barely played in the 07/08 season, so it would be more surprising if he had played against them.

GDH

Got your stats a little wrong I think.

He started all 3 games against Liverpool in 2006, and come on as a sub at Anfield in '05.

18/09/05 0-0 Anfield (used sub)
22/01/06 1-0 OT (started)
18/02/06 0-1 FA Cup (started)
22/10/06 2-0 OT (started)

Missed the next 5 prior to today though.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Fletcher would be a horrible holding midfielder. Doesn't have the positional sense or marking ability for the role. Carrick does a very good job in that role as seen by his negating of Fabregas and Gerrard recently.

What Fletcher is, is a quality box-to-box midfielder. Let him run around the pitch and influence proceedings. That's what he does best.
Jesus....one of Fletcher's strengths is his positional sense! He reads the game better than most players I have seen at United. And when have you seen him take a man marking job and fail?

Strange post.

Mr. MUJAC

Darren Fletcher's ability to read the game is above average. I dont think he runs around like most of you think he does, but he is always anticipating the next move and get there. He only wins half the tackles he goes in for, but always puts the opposing team under pressure which leads to interception or more pressure on the receiving player.
Spot on!

PS18

This may be too early before the team actually wins something of note, but I hope Fletcher gets some recognition for his displays this season.

A Fans' Player of the Year or something because he will be overlooked for the mainstream awards.
Does almost (well not at all really but bear with me...) seem a shame that Rooney's had such a stellar season, because it means Fletch (and Evra too) will sort of be overlooked when the awards are dished out.

Ole'sbodyguard

Got your stats a little wrong I think.

He started all 3 games against Liverpool in 2006, and come on as a sub at Anfield in '05.

18/09/05 0-0 Anfield (used sub)
22/01/06 1-0 OT (started)
18/02/06 0-1 FA Cup (started)
22/10/06 2-0 OT (started)

Missed the next 5 prior to today though.

This tallies exactly with everything I've said as there has been six games between United and LFC since then in the league(3 won by them and 3 by United) prior to today and not five.

The last game he started prior to today is the 2-0 at O.T. when he played on the right instead of Ronaldo(who was a late absentee). There has been six games between United and Liverpool since then prior to today and Fletch has not started any of them. These being

0-1(JOS winner)
0-1(Tevez winner)
3-0(Brown, Ronaldo and Nani)
2-1(Tevez scoring for United)
1-4(Ronaldo scoring for United)
2-0(last league game at Anfield with Torres and N'gog scoring).

Fletch was an unused sub in the game Tevez got the winner and also in the home defeat last season. He had no further involvement in any of these games, primarily through injury.

GDH

Yeah sorry, typo there, meant 6. And the point I was making was entirely useless anyway as I misread your initial post, thought you meant he replaced Ronaldo rather than started instead of. This will teach me to skim posts when drunk.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yeah sorry, typo there, meant 6. And the point I was making was entirely useless anyway as I misread your initial post, thought you meant he replaced Ronaldo rather than started instead of. This will teach me to skim posts when drunk.
That's all good:cool:.

I thought because of the typo you had missed out a match from the last few years.

Eriku

Absolutely spot on. He's very intelligent, which is why he's improved the way he has, consciously and by doing first thing first. He's also starting to do the 40-50 yard passes that you so rarely find players consistently pulling off. I appreciate watching his performances and development on so many levels.

Devilton

You don't have to buy it but its true. Mascherano being booked early essentially hand-cuffed him to be able to go in and make it more of a battle.
So it was the Fat Spanish Waiters prerogative to take him off. I agree, Masherano looked a different player after he got his well deserved card. He didn't go into the 50/50 like he would usually. But that's where Senor Negative should have used his brilliant tactical genius we're all lead to believe he has.

Instead he did feck all but look to his watch for the 70 minute mark and then made the changes he should have made when we scored the second. They played well in the first half, then we equalized and going into half time Rafa gave one of his inspirational speeches.

They came out and it showed just how much faith the team has in the gaff...it was one of the insipid performance I have seen from a so called big four. I expect Spuds to do better to be honest.

I still expect the dippers to crawl to 4th place...but today showed me they don't fecking deserve it.

Mr. MUJAC

I am not sure why everyone is referring to the Masherano and Gerrard when talking about Fletcher's display.

Firstly, if you watch the first half closely, Lucas was trying to man mark Fletch and followed him everywhere. Fletcher tried all sorts to get away from him including coming deep to collect the ball from Rio and Vidic, going out wide particularly to support Evra and Nani and also making runs into the penalty box at the other end.

Gerard was playing further upfield in support of Torres and so there was no direct match up at all. In fact Gerard looked totally out of it.

In the second half when we took control, Lucas was anonymous, Masherano seemed disinterested and only when Gerrard dropped deeper into a midfield role did he start to play anything like his natural game.

As far as Fletch was concerned, he kept playing his natural game and didn't allow anything else to interfere with that.

I think the whole concept of an opponent being booked 'makes it easier for our players to stand out' is totally flawed.

I can't remember Ince, Robson, Keane or Fletcher suddenly giving up the midfield when they got booked....so why would Masherano?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I am not sure why everyone is referring to the Masherano and Gerrard when talking about Fletcher's display.

Firstly, if you watch the first half closely, Lucas was trying to man mark Fletch and followed him everywhere. Fletcher tried all sorts to get away from him including coming deep to collect the ball from Rio and Vidic, going out wide particularly to support Evra and Nani and also making runs into the penalty box at the other end.

Gerard was playing further upfield in support of Torres and so there was no direct match up at all. In fact Gerard looked totally out of it.

In the second half when we took control, Lucas was anonymous, Masherano seemed disinterested and only when Gerrard dropped deeper into a midfield role did he start to play anything like his natural game.

As far as Fletch was concerned, he kept playing his natural game and didn't allow anything else to interfere with that.

I think the whole concept of an opponent being booked 'makes it easier for our players to stand out' is totally flawed.

I can't remember Ince, Robson, Keane or Fletcher suddenly giving up the midfield when they got booked....so why would Masherano?
good post Mr M, agree completely