Darren Fletcher | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Awesome performance. Amazing to think he was out for 2 years.

Showed the kind of energy we were lacking in midfield.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I was about to post "now it's enough excuses, let's just face that Fletcher doesn't have the quality to start for us anymore" on the back of the first half.

Then he was great in the second half.

Leader out there today. What we need.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Sorry chaps he was bloody awful first half. Huge whole in the centre of the park. Nothing has changed put him under he gives away possession. Much better second half though (as good as I've ever seen him tbh).

Duafc

Village Lemon
I was about to post "now it's enough excuses, let's just face that Fletcher doesn't have the quality to start for us anymore" on the back of the first half.

Probably just serves to highlight how fickle a fan you are.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

He was fine in the first half, better in the second.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Sorry chaps he was bloody awful first half. Huge whole in the centre of the park. Nothing has changed put him under he gives away possession. Much better second half though (as good as I've ever seen him tbh).

How was there a huge whole? They had 6 touches in the box in the first half and next to no chances.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A class above all our other midfielders, even Carrick. He's been great since coming back.

Shimo

Not scared to have the ball. How many times did he just keep it instead of handing off responsibility ? Hope this continues.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A class above all our other midfielders, even Carrick. He's been great since coming back.
I remember in 2009/10 we were playing Portsmouth at home and creating nothing, then Fletch picks up the ball drives to the right flank plays a pass gets it back and plants a beautiful cross onto Rooney's head. Think after that the floodgates opened if my memory serves me but it took Fletch's dynamism and drive to open them up.

Also remember the Bryan Robson like volley Fletch got against Everton that season, again at a time when we were struggling to open them up.

Fletch was very good in 2008/09 especially in the Champions League semi final against Arsenal but he was great in 2009/10. In 2009/10 Fletch pretty much dragged us through the season as the rest of the team tried to deal with the post-Ronaldo hangover. Most people remember that season for Rooney's goals, I remember it because without Fletch half those goals wouldn't have come about. Fletch's assist at the San Siro in the Milan tie lives with me.

That illness of his robbed us of one of the best players in the Premier League. Thank God he's back. 'Getting him back is like a new signing' to quote a great man...

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
How was there a huge whole? They had 6 touches in the box in the first half and next to no chances.
He stood off, didn't make a single challenge until the last minute of the first half, didn't get goal side on a number of occasions, he got caught in possession. That said most of the team were poor. Much better second half though.

Cleverley has had a very busy Xmas period and that showed against Sunderland. Cleverly should still be starting ahead if him, far more mobile, aggressive and positive.

Ole'sbodyguard

Played very well.

He's looking good in his run of games so far. Deserves to start the Chelsea game with Carrick.

Anyone remember Fletcher's goals in the 2009/10 4-3 against City? Man was a beast that day.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.

That was a formation issue which was sorted at half time, he and Carrick were sitting in a straight line at times in the first half and Swansea runners would just break beyond them. Second half was a different story as one pressed whilst the other sat slightly off to pick up the runner. Made a lot more sense in the second half and not sitting in a straight line in CM seemed to give him better passing options.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember in 2009/10 we were playing Portsmouth at home and creating nothing, then Fletch picks up the ball drives to the right flank plays a pass gets it back and plants a beautiful cross onto Rooney's head. Think after that the floodgates opened if my memory serves me but it took Fletch's dynamism and drive to open them up.

Also remember the Bryan Robson like volley Fletch got against Everton that season, again at a time when we were struggling to open them up.

Fletch was very good in 2008/09 especially in the Champions League semi final against Arsenal but he was great in 2009/10. In 2009/10 Fletch pretty much dragged us through the season as the rest of the team tried to deal with the post-Ronaldo hangover. Most people remember that season for Rooney's goals, I remember it because without Fletch half those goals wouldn't have come about. Fletch's assist at the San Siro in the Milan tie lives with me.

That illness of his robbed us of one of the best players in the Premier League. Thank God he's back. 'Getting him back is like a new signing' to quote a great man...
Agreed. Always comes up big when we need him. He's so good all around, and I'll be the first to admit I thought his career was done with the way his illness has been the last few years. Didn't think he'd be able to come back at the level he's been at after being so long out. Delighted that he's shown otherwise.

Red Stone

Anyone remember Fletcher's goals in the 2009/10 4-3 against City? Man was a beast that day.
I bought a shirt with his name on it 10 minutes after that game was over.

I can't believe how good he still is considering what he's gone through in the past years. Probably our best midfielder since he came back.

Devil may care

He's looking very composed on the ball, not as much without it but he looks better than any other CM we've played this season.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I would support his selection as captain completely, I think he deserves it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
before today I thought he was a bit off the pace, obviously understandable, but certainly his best period of play since he's been back.

Looking more like a starter now, rather than a fringe bit parter.
Those medical staff have done well!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He was excellent today.

Great to see him play the full 90 and look fresh till the last kick. Must have been a tiring game to play in as well with all the Swansea possession.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The calmness he brings is exactly what we need till we get some top quality players in CM area. Talent wise, Cleverley might have more in his locker but at top level, the temperament which Fletcher has is more important. If Cleverley can learn to be as calm on the ball instead of trying to do too many things at a time, we can feel better about central midfield area.

Darren Fletcher - Man of Steel. Dunno who made this but sir you got it in one. Darren Fletcher is our Superman: We will rise behind him.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Captain, leader, legend.

That's actually a great shout.

With Vidic and Evra possibly leaving I would be delighted for Fletch to get the armband. I always thought it would be Evans but didn't anticipate Fletch coming back the way he has. A proper United player.

I'm amazed. To come back after so long and play like that. He looked to me like he had plenty of energy to spare. He was helping to drive us on with some clever, incisive passes. But most of all the desire to win the ball and make his presence known in midfield is what we've lacked.

Others in our squad should be taking note.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I remember how much vitriol and abuse Fletcher got for a couple of seasons. Wonder if Cleverley can come out the other side of it the way Fletcher did.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He stood off, didn't make a single challenge until the last minute of the first half, didn't get goal side on a number of occasions, he got caught in possession. That said most of the team were poor. Much better second half though.

Cleverley has had a very busy Xmas period and that showed against Sunderland. Cleverly should still be starting ahead if him, far more mobile, aggressive and positive.

Not at all. Fletcher's been our most positive player since he's come back and the one midfielder who's consistently played sharp, incisive passes in behind the opposition midfield. That's the kind of positive play we need that we've seen far too little of from Cleverley all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.