Darren Fletcher | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sir Alex Ferguson expects Darren Fletcher to return in July and adapt his game to become a holding midfielder.
The Scotland international has undergone an operation in a bid to cure his ulcerative colitis and misses the rest of the season. However, the boss is backing his fellow countryman to again show his character by bouncing back to resurrect his career.
"This improves Darren's prospects of returning [to top form]," explained Sir Alex at his pre-Spurs press conference.
"He had to change his game and he hasn't been the Darren Fletcher of three or four years ago in the games this season. Instead, he was sitting in front of the back four and he did well. That could be his role in the future. When he comes back, and I hope he does, it will be in a different role."
The surgery had been planned but the manager admits it is still a blow to a player who is extremely popular in and around the club.
"It was something we thought would happen anyway," Sir Alex added. "He tried his best to cope with the condition with the treatments he was using but, in the last couple of weeks, it's come back. This operation will hopefully solve the situation and we expect him to be back in July. It's a blow for the boy but given he's been dealing with the condition for a few years, it's just another step for him.
"He has fantastic character, he's a brilliant boy. He'll do his best, no doubt about that. He always does."
That's what I expect.

Giggsforever

He is not running around and giving up space like he did before his illness. I like what I'm seeing to be honest. Not a player that should play as a regular maybe, but glad to have him back.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
When the right midfielder comes along, Fletcher will most likely be the main backup for the Carrick role.

He's doing fine. He doesn't need to be the Fletcher of old. He can still be a useful player to have. He definitely plays for the badge though, that's why he's being given every chance possible. Not let anyone down yet and its great to be able to watch him again.

MoneyMay

He was already playing deep for us last season. Nothing new. Glad to have him back.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
That's what I expect.
Back then with respect to fergies quote He had to change his game because he was using diet to handle the illness. He has had an operation, the disease has gone. Sir Steven Redgrave won an Olympic Gold after a similar operation.
I thought in his 2 appearances Fletcher has been very energetic, covered a lot of ground but also clearly had a specific role.
This whole " he wont get back to his original energy levels" thing is just people spouting cliched proclamations. There is no reason he cant get back to where he was apart from age slowing him down a bit. The disease is actually gone, he stated that himself. The is no reason for a loss of energy, he hasnt had an injury which has an impact in his joints or muscles.

amolbhatia50k

Back then with respect to fergies quote He had to change his game because he was using diet to handle the illness. He has had an operation, the disease has gone. Sir Steven Redgrave won an Olympic Gold after a similar operation.
I thought in his 2 appearances Fletcher has been very energetic, covered a lot of ground but also clearly had a specific role.
This whole " he wont get back to his original energy levels" thing is just people spouting cliched proclamations. There is no reason he cant get back to where he was apart from age slowing him down a bit. The disease is actually gone, he stated that himself. The is no reason for a loss of energy, he hasnt had an injury which has an impact in his joints or muscles.
Eh? "Cliched proclamations"? I'm basing it on what I've seen so far and am saying it with respect to the next game anyway.
To expect him to suddenly run around loads and show loads of energy right after he's looked a different player to what he used to, would actually be absurd rather than the other way around. If does then excellent, but it's silly to expect it.

Also, regain the long term, no one can say for sure. It can go either way. He isn't 25 anymore either so it's quite probable he will be a holding midfielder or at least not an all energy midfielder. But let's see.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Eh? "Cliched proclamations"? I'm basing it on what I've seen so far and am saying it with respect to the next game anyway.
To expect him to suddenly run around loads and show loads of energy right after he's looked a different player to what he used to, would actually be absurd rather than the other way around. If does then excellent, but it's silly to expect it.

Also, regain the long term, no one can say for sure. It can go either way. He isn't 25 anymore either so it's quite probable he will be a holding midfielder or at least not an all energy midfielder. But let's see.
You are just parroting the same drivel others are without actually putting any real thought into it. Cliched and predictable. If you watched the game you would have seen he was shutting down the opposition just as vigorously as he has ever done and he got forward and back as well.

amolbhatia50k

You are just parroting the same drivel others are without actually putting any real thought into it. Cliched and predictable. If you watched the game you would have seen he was shutting down the opposition just as vigorously as he has ever done and he got forward and back as well.
You're talking nonsense. Or you've never seen Darren fletcher play before. Either way it doesn't say a lot about you.

"Just as vigorously" :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
If you watched the game you would have seen he was shutting down the opposition just as vigorously as he has ever done and he got forward and back as well.
Last 15 mins against Hull were terrible with both him and Carrick playing. Yesterday he kept the ball ticking around, but nothing beyond average. Calming influence, I agree...but regular starting position (...yet), I do not.

Care_de_Bobo

Last 15 mins against Hull were terrible with both him and Carrick playing. Yesterday he kept the ball ticking around, but nothing beyond average. Calming influence, I agree...but regular starting position (...yet), I do not.
If you were actually paying attention, you would have noticed that Fletcher went off after an hour and Carrick wasn't brought on until about the 80 minute mark.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
His performance today and against Villa are easily two of the most competent midfield displays we've seen all season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Oozes quality.

2 years out, fecking hell.

Cina

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty adamant he'd never get back to a level good enough to play for us again, but he's been great today. I know it's only his second game back but if he can keep this up and keep getting fitter he will definitely prove me, and many others, completely wrong.

Ash_G

Just has a calmness about him, all this time out and doesn't seem fazed, happy to hold on to the ball even when being closed and waiting for the best option. We've also seen again today what I think is his most underrated ability, which is sharp quick passes to feet right through the middle. They don't have to be putting people in but they pick out players who are then in a much better position to influence.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He looks on another level to anyone even after being out for 2 years. Massive credit to him, but also a shocking state of how neglected our midfield has been and how the players in there are clearly not up to standard.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
2 years out and debilitated by illness and he still looks better than Cleverley, Anderson or even Giggs.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Best player on the pitch for me today. Hopefully can get 90mins out of him like this.

Ekeke

Fantastic passing. Alright not quite Scholes or Xavi, but still miles better than Cleverley's

Bebe

It's like he remembers a time when United weren't shit. I didn't think he'd be capable of this sort of performance any more, he's proving me and many others wrong. Great stuff

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Good first half there from him, sticking in, looking to get on the ball, passing it about nicely and the thing is he'll probably improve even more again the more game time he gets. At the moment though we look a lot more solid in midfield with him operating there which to be fair wouldn't take a lot either I suppose.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
It's like he remembers a time when United weren't shit. I didn't think he'd be capable of this sort of performance any more, he's proving me and many others wrong. Great stuff

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's because he's a proper United player, many of the current lot aren't. A fit Fletcher alongside Carrick and the CM will be fine. I'm wary of putting too much pressure on him though.

roseguy64

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty adamant he'd never get back to a level good enough to play for us again, but he's been great today. I know it's only his second game back but if he can keep this up and keep getting fitter he will definitely prove me, and many others, completely wrong.
Eh?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have we all just forgotten what a proper midfielder looks like?

Mersault

When he was coming through he was compared to Becks. Got an injury and IRC came back as more of a traditional midfielder. There was a time where I didn't rate him, thought he'd be a sentimental home-grown choice, but he quickly showed the desire, responsibility and big-game performances that truly are exemplary. To come back from this illness and play the way he has is amazing.

Giggsforever

His passing was good, not fantastic. The problem with both him and Cleverly today was that they used two or three touches before passing forward and that made it very easy for Swansea's midfield to get back. How anyone can say that was a great performance really don't understand the dynamic of football. Missed Carrick today.

kundalini

Good first half. Awful 2nd half even before he went to rightback and promptly got destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.